Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Talking Heads?

Stop Making Sense. If you like that, you can either look for the albums that have the tracks you like, or just go in chronological order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Not really where do I start, but where do I go next with Philip Glass? I already have the Orage Mountain Music Philip Glass Sampler vol. 1 and Solo Piano.

No i in Teamocil
Apr 29, 2007

At least not where you'd think.

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Talking Heads?

I don't usually recommend compilations as a good place to start, but their concert album, Stop Making Sense (soundtrack from the film), is about as good of an introduction as you'll get.

EDIT: Beaten. But I guess that just affirms my suggestion.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No i in Teamocil posted:

I don't usually recommend compilations as a good place to start, but their concert album, Stop Making Sense (soundtrack from the film), is about as good of an introduction as you'll get.

EDIT: Beaten. But I guess that just affirms my suggestion.

I wouldn't normally either, but that's one of two major exceptions (the other being the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady).

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

ultrafilter posted:

I wouldn't normally either, but that's one of two major exceptions (the other being the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady).

Ditto for Snap! by The Jam or Substance by New Order. I suppose it's something that's usualy specific to bands who released a lot of non-album singles, but with Talking Heads, if Stop Making Sense doesn't hook you, then nothing will.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
How good is Faye Wong, and where should I start? She has a ton of stuff, I kind of imagine it varies massively in quality and style so I really have no idea. I'd be looking to get into her more alternative stuff (if that even exists, I dunno), for example I heard she was at some point influenced a lot by Cocteau Twins so I'm looking for that kind of thing.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I don't listen to lyrics very well so I like early rap's vocal rhythm. I've watched all the goofy movies with sugar hill artists etc. and I've got a decent idea of what was coming out of there, but I wanna know what else I'm looking at when I come across a stack of music from that era. Any way that I can start to educate myself on non-sugar hill rap? I do realize that they put out a good portion of the stuff in that era

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Where do I start with Jay-Z? I've only really heard the odd single here and there but I like him a lot, where to first?

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Where do I start with Jay-Z? I've only really heard the odd single here and there but I like him a lot, where to first?

The Blueprint, Reasonable Doubt, and then it's less general-consensus from there. I personally like those and the black album the most

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Where do I start with, uh, the jungle/drum & bass genre? I am embarrassed to admit this but it's actually a cheesy video game track that made me wonder if there might be something in it for me to like after all-- I've gone my whole life hating the genre-- but it's completely out of my field so I have no idea where to start hunting.

I just love the chopped-up beats starting at 1:03. I want to listen to lots and lots of that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Popcorn posted:

Where do I start with, uh, the jungle/drum & bass genre? I am embarrassed to admit this but it's actually a cheesy video game track that made me wonder if there might be something in it for me to like after all-- I've gone my whole life hating the genre-- but it's completely out of my field so I have no idea where to start hunting.

I just love the chopped-up beats starting at 1:03. I want to listen to lots and lots of that.

Download a couple of DJ Hype mixtapes and see what you dig. "Jungle Massive" has most of the hits of the jungle era, and "Drum&Bass Arena Presents DJ Hype" is a pretty sick mix of more modern jump-up poo poo.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone have a starting point for Andre Nickatina? I like Ayo for Yao, but im East coast and he's kind of underground so I don't know what to listen to now.

myownsavior
Dec 21, 2004

I operate a nuclear reactor.

Waroduce posted:

Anyone have a starting point for Andre Nickatina? I like Ayo for Yao, but im East coast and he's kind of underground so I don't know what to listen to now.

Personally, I have to sift through a lot to find the great stuff. A Tale of Two Andres (w/ Mac Dre) is excellent but not straight Nickatina. So I'll post my favorites / singles...

Ate Miles from the City of Dope, All Star Chuck Taylors, Scottie 15, Coka Cola, Jungle, Soul of a Coke Dealer, Killa Whale, Comb my Hair Like, Smoke Dope and Rap

Failing the singles, go with "Conversation with a Devil"

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Now seems an (in)appropriate time to thank everyone for contributing to this surprisingly long-running thread!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

HAI posted:

Download a couple of DJ Hype mixtapes and see what you dig. "Jungle Massive" has most of the hits of the jungle era, and "Drum&Bass Arena Presents DJ Hype" is a pretty sick mix of more modern jump-up poo poo.

OK, so I followed up on this recommendation and I think I learnt something: specifically, that this genre is way too loving fast for me. Like I said before, I like the cut-up beats, but the tempo is turned up so high I can't get a grip on anything. I want to feel a groove.

So... is there something, uh, slower I could try? That track I linked, for example, feels like a loving ballad compared to this DJ Hype stuff.

Am I... am I a pansy?

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Not really where do I start, but where do I go next with Philip Glass? I already have the Orage Mountain Music Philip Glass Sampler vol. 1 and Solo Piano.

Koyaanisqatsi. Watch the movie.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

myownsavior posted:

Ate Miles from the City of Dope, All Star Chuck Taylors, Scottie 15, Coka Cola, Jungle, Soul of a Coke Dealer, Killa Whale, Comb my Hair Like, Smoke Dope and Rap

Props, thanks man. these are sick

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Itaipu & The Canyon, Mishima, Music In Twelve Parts, Koyaanisqatsi is good too

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 9, 2010

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Popcorn posted:

You could maybe start with Pendulum, as much as I'm not really a fan, I think that's a good starting point and it's about as mainstream as drum 'n' bass gets. Maybe Spor and all of the darkstep guys are a good place to look next. Then there's the liquid funk subgenre, you have guys like High Contrast and Danny Byrd.

Stuff that's kind of related to D&B: If you want harder type stuff you can go with breakcore guys like Venetian Snares. There's dubstep, which is insanely popular right now. Then again, if you're looking for slower, chopped-up glitchy beats, maybe you'd be interested in IDM (which has a ton of different sounds and music nerds sit there arguing whether something is IDM or not), not drum 'n' bass.

You just really gotta look around, there's a lot of stuff. Some good radio stations to listen to are rinse.fm and BBC Radio 1xtra. Don't be afraid to AIM or PM me if you want some more specific recommendations about any type of electronic music.

insomne fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 9, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

insomne posted:

recommendations

This is a beautiful post. Thanks a lot. I'll spend a few days at work listening through this stuff. I do listen to a fair bit of electronic/sampled music, eg the more mainstream Warp stuff and the Daft Punk/Justice crowd etc. It's just that one drat Sonic track that makes me wonder if I should be trying more with D&B.

On the subject of sampled/electronic stuff, another uncool videogame soundtrack reference: can you recommend anything in the vein of the Jet Set Radio soundtrack? I mean, I don't even know what genre it is, some kind of hip-hop? I like how it's bright and catch without being cheesy. Well, maybe it is cheesy. I wouldn't know.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 9, 2010

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Popcorn posted:

On the subject of sampled/electronic stuff, another uncool videogame soundtrack reference: can you recommend anything in the vein of the Jet Set Radio soundtrack? I mean, I don't even know what genre it is, some kind of hip-hop? I like how it's bright and catch without being cheesy. Well, maybe it is cheesy. I wouldn't know.

For some reason I just think of breakbeat stuff like Freestylers, The Chemical Brothers, and of course Fatboy Slim. Maybe you'll also like some of the more instrumental hip-hop guys, namely the Ninja Tune crew.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

insomne posted:

You could maybe start with Pendulum, as much as I'm not really a fan, I think that's a good starting point and it's about as mainstream as drum 'n' bass gets. Maybe Spor and all of the darkstep guys are a good place to look next. Then there's the liquid funk subgenre, you have guys like High Contrast and Danny Byrd.

Stuff that's kind of related to D&B: If you want harder type stuff you can go with breakcore guys like Venetian Snares. There's dubstep, which is insanely popular right now. Then again, if you're looking for slower, chopped-up glitchy beats, maybe you'd be interested in IDM (which has a ton of different sounds and music nerds sit there arguing whether something is IDM or not), not drum 'n' bass.

You just really gotta look around, there's a lot of stuff. Some good radio stations to listen to are rinse.fm and BBC Radio 1xtra. Don't be afraid to AIM or PM me if you want some more specific recommendations about any type of electronic music.

C'mon now, I give him a propa cool rec and when he goes "ahh this isn't videogamey enough for me" you namedrop friggin' Pendulum? Just to take all the credit? So bitchy.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

HAI posted:

C'mon now, I give him a propa cool rec and when he goes "ahh this isn't videogamey enough for me" you namedrop friggin' Pendulum? Just to take all the credit? So bitchy.

Man your rec was cool but Pendulum is basically about as entry-level as drum 'n' bass gets so why not. gently caress, I don't like it, but I know a lot of people do.

fuck you aurora
Jan 1, 2007

by mons all madden
David Bowie

Click here for the full 953x953 image.

I have a few of his albums, what else would I like if I really liked The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? I know a lot of his popular stuff and I appreciate the man, but I'm not sure which way to go before sullying my experience.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

gently caress you aurora posted:

David Bowie

I have a few of his albums, what else would I like if I really liked The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust? I know a lot of his popular stuff and I appreciate the man, but I'm not sure which way to go before sullying my experience.

Hunky Dory is the closest to Ziggy Stardust, in my opinion. Bowie was a chameleon, not just in that he changed his look but that he changed his style of music, so everyone is going to have a different opinion on Bowie. Ziggy Stardust is probably the favorite of the majority of fans, and it's my favorite too, so good job starting there. My other favorites are Scary Monsters (which I describe as a schizophrenic prediction of what music was going to be in the 80s) and Young Americans (which leans heavily towards soul and R&B... with a Beatles cover thrown in), but most of his others are really good too. Do some research on each one and see what you think will appeal to you best.

Also, in my opinion, you can't just go off of single songs to decide what album to get. For some reason, Bowie didn't work that way with me. I like albums that I didn't expect to like (based on the songs chosen to go on "The Best of Bowie").

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

insomne posted:

Man your rec was cool but Pendulum is basically about as entry-level as drum 'n' bass gets so why not. gently caress, I don't like it, but I know a lot of people do.

Yeah, I've never liked Pendulum TBH

Hai: your recommendation was very useful too in terms of demonstrating to me that I probably don't like D&B after all.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

gently caress you aurora posted:

David Bowie

I would agree with much of what Raccoon Leaf said. But to add a comment, if Ziggy Stardust is your starting point, I think Diamond Dogs (to my ear) is also going to be one you'll want to check out. I also second the recommendation of Scary Monsters.

I think The Man Who Sold the World and Lodger are strong releases, as well as Low and Heroes (the last three being the "Berlin trilogy").

With the exception of Scary Monsters (1980), everything named so far is from the 70's. If you want more, I would suggest focusing on other 70's releases and then looking at the 90's albums. Skip over the other 80's albums unless and until you have all the other stuff and like it so much you decide you want to be a completist.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm probably going to a festival this summer where the only announced act (so far) is Pearl Jam. Where do I start?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skilleddk posted:

I'm probably going to a festival this summer where the only announced act (so far) is Pearl Jam. Where do I start?

Listen to Ten and then don't listen to anything else.

fuck you aurora
Jan 1, 2007

by mons all madden

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Hunky Dory is the closest to Ziggy Stardust, in my opinion. Bowie was a chameleon, not just in that he changed his look but that he changed his style of music, so everyone is going to have a different opinion on Bowie. Ziggy Stardust is probably the favorite of the majority of fans, and it's my favorite too, so good job starting there. My other favorites are Scary Monsters (which I describe as a schizophrenic prediction of what music was going to be in the 80s) and Young Americans (which leans heavily towards soul and R&B... with a Beatles cover thrown in), but most of his others are really good too. Do some research on each one and see what you think will appeal to you best.

Also, in my opinion, you can't just go off of single songs to decide what album to get. For some reason, Bowie didn't work that way with me. I like albums that I didn't expect to like (based on the songs chosen to go on "The Best of Bowie").

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I would agree with much of what Raccoon Leaf said. But to add a comment, if Ziggy Stardust is your starting point, I think Diamond Dogs (to my ear) is also going to be one you'll want to check out. I also second the recommendation of Scary Monsters.

I think The Man Who Sold the World and Lodger are strong releases, as well as Low and Heroes (the last three being the "Berlin trilogy").

With the exception of Scary Monsters (1980), everything named so far is from the 70's. If you want more, I would suggest focusing on other 70's releases and then looking at the 90's albums. Skip over the other 80's albums unless and until you have all the other stuff and like it so much you decide you want to be a completist.

Thank you kindly, I listened to some of the tracks from Hunky Dory, and you were pretty much spot on. Will check out Diamond Dogs!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Skilleddk posted:

Peral Jam's a band that's kind of shifted its style a little over the years. Ten and Vs., their first two albums, are the "grunge" records. They're both classics, and that's probably the best starting point. For the record, I actually prefer Vs., but Ten has their biggest songs ("Jeremy", "Alive", and "Even Flow").

I also really enjoy the No Code and Yield albums, which are a bit softer, more like early-90s REM.

But, really, get Ten and Vs. first, since they're the classics, then go for No Code and Yield if you want more.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I like Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa. Where should I go? I'm aware that Philip Glass is related, but he has too many works. Where's a good starting point?

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

drainpipe posted:

I like Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa. Where should I go? I'm aware that Philip Glass is related, but he has too many works. Where's a good starting point?

Personally, I found Koyaanisqatsi to be an excellent starting place.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Where do I start with Tiesto, DeadMau5 and the Crystal Method? I've never really been into techno/house music but I'm starting to like it. I've listened to Ghosts n stuff and Trip like I do (Crystal Method). They're real good songs and I was wondering where to go from there. If you could recommend like a list of single songs instead of albums that'd be great.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Waroduce posted:

Where do I start with Tiesto, DeadMau5 and the Crystal Method? I've never really been into techno/house music but I'm starting to like it. I've listened to Ghosts n stuff and Trip like I do (Crystal Method). They're real good songs and I was wondering where to go from there. If you could recommend like a list of single songs instead of albums that'd be great.

Well since you're looking for single songs, it's all pretty subjective. I guess for Deadmau5, a lot of his stuff is pretty good so you can't really go wrong, but in particular I like Reward is More Cheese, I Remember, I'm Not Alone, Hi Friend, Move for Me, Not Exactly, and Faxing Berlin. I'd also recommending checking out Wolfgang Gartner and Adam K, among others.

As for Tiesto, well, I don't really like him so I don't have a clue. I just think he's generic. But I can recommend for you to check out the Anjunabeats label.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
noise. i like Merzbow and Gerogerigegege but everything else i found (i honestly haven't looked very hard) just sounded like people messing around with sound effects rather than fully realized noise compositions.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Post-Black Flag Henry Rollins, anyone? Met the guy after one of his spoken word shows the other night and figured I owe it to the man.

I love that this thread refuses to die. :)

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Cocteau Twins?

It's my personal opinion that Heaven or Las Vegas is probably the best to help someone to start with Cocteau Twins. It's probably the most accessible album.

Treasure is excellent, although it's a little more... ethereal/primal than the rest of their stuff. I probably say that because it features Elizabeth Fraser's most incomprehensible vocals (not that she ever makes sense). Head Over Heels is good, too. It came out before Treasure. It leans more towards pop sensibilities and features vocals that actually sound more like words, but it's also got a good dreamy sound.

My favorite single song is "Summerhead", but that's not on any of those three albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
So is Treasure not quite a good showcase for the Cocteau Twins sound? It's the only one I've heard and I love it to death. My favorite song is "Lorelei", which is the one that got me interested in the band.