Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

LewdMonocle posted:

PV, how do you do your white on black?

amicable. Had to google what a soulgrinder was, but... #1

Tinweasel's spray booth is the best spray booth: http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tinweasel/spray_booth.html

My first :catholic: conversion:

Click here for the full 1000x563 image.

other side. He's holding the Plaque of Tepok btw.

These are day old. Added some detail to the staff and hat.

HAIL SKINKPOPE! Any update on the hat? I can only imagine it'd look great with glyphs and whatnot.

E: Posted in wrong thread. Still, rad priest.

Banannana fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Iron Squid posted:

I spray my primer in the basement, then crack a window.

I worry that I'm awfully near to the pilot light of the hot water heater, though.

I've been smoking whilst priming for longer than I can remember and yes, it's not a naked flame but it drat well takes one to get the drat things lit :black101:

One of these days I'll explode whilst priming then we'll see who's laughing :(

edit: it's a slow start at work for the first week post-christmas, snow isn't helping matters much and I'm itching to take full advantage of the fact that I work from home 3/5 of the week... how tempting is it to crack open a pot of khemri brown and basecoat some deathwing whilst it's quiet :3:

enri fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 7, 2010

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
That is some real neat freehanding on the powerweapon blades, PV.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

PaintVagrant posted:

When i first saw this one i thought the lower right leg was a high gloss black, like it had been varnished and polished to within an inch of its life. Now i realise it's a grey stripe to denote squad / rank but the high polished look would give a nice sorta high resin carbon fibre kinda look, just one a two panels made of the stuff on a dread would look pretty awesome... at least it does in my head.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Moddin' a Carnifex into a Tervigon ain't easy but it's necessary.

I know the stones and such look goofy now, but they have a fine layer of gloe to smooth their surfaces and will come out looking like nodules on the sac after painting.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Bye bye rainbow carnifex, we hardly knew ye.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Iron Squid posted:

Can you recommend a better tut for basic stuff?
Miniatures 101
Miniatures 102
Hot Lead
Dr Faust's Painting Clinic

Sculpting 101
Sculpting 102 - Disguising joins
Pinning
Pinning (different source)

Bette Davis Eyes: Basic Steps to Bold Eyes
Painting Miniature Eyes
Painting Female Faces
Painting More Female Faces
Painting Faces (by Jen Haley)

PierreTheMime posted:

I know the stones and such look goofy now, but they have a fine layer of gloe to smooth their surfaces and will come out looking like nodules on the sac after painting.
That looks disgusting. I think that's a good thing. Congrats? :)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PierreTheMime posted:

dude gross

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Hey guys, need opinions/direction.

I've got 50 dollars expendable. I currently have NO supplies. Any recommended resources for purchasing them, and any must have items?

I figure Citadel Washes in Badab and Devlan are going to be suggested.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

enri posted:

One of these days I'll explode whilst priming then we'll see who's laughing :(

Mummy, why did daddy blow up?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

lighttigersoul posted:

I've got 50 dollars expendable. I currently have NO supplies. Any recommended resources for purchasing them, and any must have items?

Gale Force 9 Assault Template, Badab Black wash, Devlin Mud wash, Gryphonne Sepia Wash, and soap to wash the shame awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

bhsman posted:

Gale Force 9 Assault Template, Badab Black wash, Devlin Mud wash, Gryphonne Sepia Wash, and soap to wash the shame awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Yeah, I realized after the fact Gryphonne Sepia has been mentioned multiple times.

That Assault Template is pretty awesome, too bad I'm looking to start playing things other than 40K.

And when you say soap?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

lighttigersoul posted:

Starting from complete scratch? i.e. no brushes or palette or clippers or anything?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

lighttigersoul posted:

Yeah, I realized after the fact Gryphonne Sepia has been mentioned multiple times.

That Assault Template is pretty awesome, too bad I'm looking to start playing things other than 40K.

And when you say soap?

series 7 #1 $10
series 7 #00 $10
cheap pack of brushes for drybrushing/paint transfer $5
5 dimple palettes $5
krylon flat black spray $5
xacto+clippers $15

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Seriouspost: Go to your local supermarket and pick up a $1 nail clipper. You can use it to clip bits off a sprue, but more importantly they usually come with a small file that I find useful for getting mold lines off of areas like the inner thigh area of a model.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

PaintVagrant posted:

Is the grey on black wet blended or dry brushed?

And the look of the blade has a real Damascus Steel look to it.

Top work as usual PV

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Aranan posted:

Starting from complete scratch? i.e. no brushes or palette or clippers or anything?

All my supplies are lost at this point. I've got some Necrons and some unassembled Warmachine figs in easy to reach storage.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

Is the grey on black wet blended or dry brushed?

And the look of the blade has a real Damascus Steel look to it.

Top work as usual PV

wet blended, sort of. Thanks :)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

lighttigersoul posted:

All my supplies are lost at this point. I've got some Necrons and some unassembled Warmachine figs in easy to reach storage.

Buy what PV suggested, then. If you don't have a local store to buy W&N brushes at, look at dickblick.com. They've also got all the other stuff, too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I painted up the first batch of Qin soldiers I randomly bought:

I'm pretty happy with this first run, but there's some things I'd like to try on the other 40 or so. I was trying to go for a kind of "Possessed Terracotta Army" vibe. I'm pretty happy with the general and his jade armor, but I'd like the weapons to look more corroded and something to help the soldiers stand out from the ground. I'm thinking should look like they were highly decorated and painted thousands of years ago, but now most of it has scoured away.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Cthulu Carl posted:

I painted up the first batch of Qin soldiers I randomly bought:

I'm pretty happy with this first run, but there's some things I'd like to try on the other 40 or so. I was trying to go for a kind of "Possessed Terracotta Army" vibe. I'm pretty happy with the general and his jade armor, but I'd like the weapons to look more corroded and something to help the soldiers stand out from the ground. I'm thinking should look like they were highly decorated and painted thousands of years ago, but now most of it has scoured away.

I'm not sure how they look on the table, but my only comment on this picture is that the eyes seemed to glow O_O Good job on that!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's been long enough that I've forgotten how much I hate working with metal models. ughhh

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fyrbrand posted:

It's been long enough that I've forgotten how much I hate working with metal models. ughhh

Getting them together is a chore, yes, but I enjoy painting them more. Keeping the paint from chipping off is a different matter

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Anphrax posted:

I'm not sure how they look on the table, but my only comment on this picture is that the eyes seemed to glow O_O Good job on that!

It's an ancient technique, known far and wide as "coloring outside the lines" :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

It's an ancient technique, known far and wide as "coloring outside the lines" :v:

See? All these years of teachers telling you to color inside the lines, they were actually crushing your creativity!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

LewdMonocle posted:

PV, how do you do your white on black?

amicable. Had to google what a soulgrinder was, but... #1

Tinweasel's spray booth is the best spray booth: http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tinweasel/spray_booth.html

My first :catholic: conversion:

Click here for the full 1000x563 image.

other side. He's holding the Plaque of Tepok btw.

These are day old. Added some detail to the staff and hat.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

All magnetized. I just need to clean a few mold lines and do a bit of gap filling. I think a few areas need more cabling/chain to complement the rounded forms of the demon/robot head.

Here's the individual bits, with less blur :)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Does it stand by itself once you have everything together?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Does it stand by itself once you have everything together?

Nope :)

I need to either pin it to a base or put some lead weights in the feet. It's just a bit tilty.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The knees on that thing bother me. I'm not entirely sure both joints would bend in the same direction to move right; I feel the top joint should bend like our knees do.

What's the demon head from?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Think of it as the hip is the knee and the top joint is the heel, and the rest are toes. Like the bottom part of a horses leg.

Still, probably wouldn't work so well in real life.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Soapbox time, crossposting in mini/warhams thread.

I have put together a ton of metal models, I started playing 40k when I was 13, back in 2nd edition era when everything was metal.

Ive also put together a ton of kits from other manufacturers, like rackhams confrontation, infinity, warmachine, warzone, legend of the 5 rings, etc

Ive never seen this problem, with any company including GW, until the last couple of years.

Those loving stringy tab things. I dont know how they changed their metal casting process, or there is some rational reason for it, but they are the only models ive ever seen with flash like this:

The poo poo is infuriating. Its always on the sharp tip of some part of the model, so not only does it need to be removed, but it needs to be removed very carefully as to not ruin the pointy thing its attached to.

These are brand new molds and models, I pre-ordered these 3 skaven characters.

This poo poo is just unacceptable, its going to take me 2+ hours to assemble 3 skaven :wtc:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

bhsman posted:

Hey those little fuckers are tiny :(

Honestly the eyes are another area that needs work. I wanted them to look like they were glowing for the whole "possessed/enchanted" look, but those globs are too much, and I even put them on with the smallest pointy object i could find.

I still got like 40 more to do, so I got plenty to practice on before I put some of the archers in the WWII half-track I'm slowly building.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Honestly the eyes are another area that needs work. I wanted them to look like they were glowing for the whole "possessed/enchanted" look, but those globs are too much, and I even put them on with the smallest pointy object i could find.

Just do lots of really thin coats of the blue. Like, wash-thin. Let it build up a bit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PaintVagrant posted:

Those loving stringy tab things.

I dunno, I've always considered these normal flash & had to clean them off loads of metal IG.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

PaintVagrant posted:

Those loving stringy tab things.

It's the vents to let the air out of the tiny little part of the sharp tips/small details they're attached to. You are right, they weren't always that big or prominent.

Maybe there used to be some sort of process that removed them automatically, but they don't want to use for some reason? Or they've made them bigger to make sure the whole detail gets cast at the expense of more work at clean up?

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Crossposting from the Warhams thread again, but I figure you're all better at painting than I am.

MarionetteOwl posted:

Quick! I need a list of the ten most important paints a new Dwarf player would need. I'm doing some last-second paint shopping and figured I might as well get a buddy some basics.

Just 10 paints, assuming all she has is a can of black primer, BfSP, and an extra engineer and organ gun.

Edit: I kinda need to know before the FLGS closes.

For the record I'm just talking citadel paints, foundations, and washes. It's all they stock.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MarionetteOwl posted:

Crossposting from the Warhams thread again, but I figure you're all better at painting than I am.

For the record I'm just talking citadel paints, foundations, and washes. It's all they stock.

Dwarf flesh, Ogryn Flesh.
Mithril and Badab Black.
A brown and a yellow, for hair and leather.
I feel a blue and Asurmen Blue would be good.
White and Black. Can't go wrong with those, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
A blue, green or red are good clan colours.

E: Tin bitz / Brazen brass & Sepia wash for making gold out of silver ala PV

• Locked thread