Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
"Why am I wearing the hat?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Brother Entropy posted:

While we're on the topic of KotH dreams, I remember an episode where Hank is having a dream involving Lincoln, Washington, and Tom Landry talking to him and being disappointed in him about not the very obvious thing that you'd expect, but something really mundane and Hank-like to worry about when it comes to Bobby. Anyone have any idea what episode or what they were disappointed about?

"Trans-Fascism," the episode where the politicians (POLITICIANS! :argh:) on the Arlen Town Council (THE GOVERNMENT! :argh:) vote to ban Trans Fats after Ted Wasanasong tells them they should follow the example of more cosmopolitan cities (UPPER CLASS EAST COAST ELITE :argh:) and Buck starts an illegal Sugarfoot's food truck to cash in on people's demand for the old fatty foods. Hank is all for it at first, but then realizes that by breaking the law he's setting a bad example for his son.

You know, after I type it out like that I realize that American Dad! did almost the exact same plot. Both pretty good episodes, though the "reactionary politicians" stuff in the KotH episode is a little heavy handed.

They were flying a bomber in World War II in the dream, also, which was another of those nice little surreal touches.

Hank: But...I thought you'd be proud of me!
Lincoln: (Quickly) We're not.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

"Trans-Fascism," the episode where the politicians (POLITICIANS! :argh:) on the Arlen Town Council (THE GOVERNMENT! :argh:) vote to ban Trans Fats after Ted Wasanasong tells them they should follow the example of more cosmopolitan cities (UPPER CLASS EAST COAST ELITE :argh:) and Buck starts an illegal Sugarfoot's food truck to cash in on people's demand for the old fatty foods. Hank is all for it at first, but then realizes that by breaking the law he's setting a bad example for his son.

You know, after I type it out like that I realize that American Dad! did almost the exact same plot. Both pretty good episodes, though the "reactionary politicians" stuff in the KotH episode is a little heavy handed.

They were flying a bomber in World War II in the dream, also, which was another of those nice little surreal touches.

Hank likes government. He still remembers the euphoria for voting for Councilman Fred Ebers.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Until he betrayed him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rusty Shackelford posted:

"Why am I wearing the hat?"

Heh, I love that.

"Ew....old man breath".

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

That episode has so much goodness in it. Ted Wasanasong's blatant hypocrisy, Hank being completely oblivious to the fact that they're bribing the cops with some "300 island dressing" on the bag of salad, and my personal favorite, the "Yes, we have Trans Fats" sign.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And it was a nice callback to Rooster from the episode were Bobby is caddying for Mr Strickland.

My daddy's having a heart attack!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some of my favorite quotes are from Luanne Virgin 2.0 (the one where Luanne becomes a "born again virgin")

Luanne: Uncle Hank I quit being a virgin the first time I had sex.

Hank: Nobody likes a quitter, Luanne.

and

Hank: We're going to make sure those kids a have a good time, not a great one.

and of course

Hank: The Vandergraafs!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Going from watching the constipation episode to the boat/bats episode is weird, especially seeing the way Hank acts.

The way Hank is so proud of Bobby when he wants to build a boat is awesome. That entire episode is great. I mean, look at the stuff it has:

Hank showing a very human flaw
Peggy being smug about knowing freshman level whatever
Bobby building a Tiki Hut

And most importantly

VAMPIRE BATTLESHIP.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Hank likes government. He still remembers the euphoria for voting for Councilman Fred Ebers.

Fred Ebers is one of my favorite callbacks in the series. They do it once every 2 seasons or so and it never fails to work.

twistedmentat posted:

And it was a nice callback to Rooster from the episode were Bobby is caddying for Mr Strickland.

My daddy's having a heart attack!

The only problem was the characters are nothing alike. The first time we see Rooster, he's an aging, slow talking man and in the trans fat episode, he's a young, hyped up jerk.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Probably my favorite Peggy moment is when she's in front of a high school class trying to show how liquid nitrogen freezes a rose.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"Propane's a dirty girl.

I'm loving this italics thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

The only problem was the characters are nothing alike. The first time we see Rooster, he's an aging, slow talking man and in the trans fat episode, he's a young, hyped up jerk.

Rooseter's illegitimate son? Which reminds me of Mr Strickland's illegitimate son who they all just start calling Ray Roy (although his real name is Jody.)

I think my favorite secondary KotH character is Principal Carl Moss.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

muscles like this? posted:

Rooseter's illegitimate son? Which reminds me of Mr Strickland's illegitimate son who they all just start calling Ray Roy (although his real name is Jody.)

I think my favorite secondary KotH character is Principal Carl Moss.

I'd put Dooley or Thatherton over Carl Moss. I think Thatherton is higher just cause of how Hank and Buck act about him.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Thatherton

mastapasta
Jun 14, 2008

Om nom nom

This is what happens when I get bored waiting for King of the Hill to come on.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

mastapasta posted:

This is what happens when I get bored waiting for King of the Hill to come on.

hank + :frog:

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
It was pretty amusing seeing prototypes of Peggy, Dale and Bill while I was rewatching Beavis and Butt-Head earlier.

And of course Hank being Mr. Anderson. But everyone knows that.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Faxman posted:

I think this was the 5PM show on FOX out of Spokane.
Hm, very interesting. What ep played today? If it's the same feed it's the one where Hank's bat phobia is manifest.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

hall n oates mom posted:

Hm, very interesting. What ep played today? If it's the same feed it's the one where Hank's bat phobia is manifest.

The only other channel in my area(VA) that plays KOTH other than Adult Swim is WB and it played that very episode today.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Oregon here, and I didn't watch anything today but I remember seeing a promo earlier this week (possibly last night) that my FOX affiliate would be showing that episode as well.

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
Hm, the boggle championship episode came on and the girl who met with Peggy and Hank at the hotel sounds exactly like Reverend Stroup.

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY. And Saturday.

Edit: LOSER! YOU'RE A LOSER! ARE YOU FEELING SORRY FOR YOURSELF? WELL YOU SHOULD BE CAUSE YOU'RE DIRT! YOU MAKE ME SICK YOU BIG BABY! DOES BABY WANNA BOTTLE? A BIG DIRT BOTTLE?!

Or something like that.

photo kiosk of life fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 9, 2010

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Thank God Adult Swim started showing King of the Hill. I need at least two KotHs a day to meet my daily requirement.

"Is this john occupied? Es esta Juan occupado?"

Edit: You're calling me weak? Look at those little birdy arms! I could smoke them arms!

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 9, 2010

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Skadi posted:

Thank God Adult Swim started showing King of the Hill. I need at least two KotHs a day to meet my daily requirement.

"Is this john occupied? Es esta Juan occupado?"

"Este Juan Occupado?" has entered my vernacular after watching that episode 10 years ago... it's a perfect non-awkward way to ask if someone's poopin'

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this? posted:

The Ray Roy thing was a nice callback to the old episode (season 5) where Buck mentions that he has a son that he doesn't know much about :

Mr. Strickland: Reminds me of my boy.
Hank: I didn't know you had a son.
Mr. Strickland: Yeah, I lived in a different town, different woman. Name's Roy, Ray, somethin' like that. After sixteen years, I'm too embarrassed to ask.

I just watched Life: A Loser's Manual for the first time, the episode where Peggy's brother (and Luanne's dad) Hoyt shows up after an extended stay on the "Oil rig." Good episode with some outstanding Hank moments.

Hank: Soon you'll be needing this form - Voter Registration. It's like your magic ticket to jury duty.

Hank's eyes are like saucers at the end of that statement, it's phenomenal.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Skadi posted:

In our house we've seen the episodes countless times but still get crabby if something causes us to miss our nightly dose. :)

My boyfriend will sometimes watch both showings, too, so it's 2 hours of KOTH.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
I've come across more people than I thought who went through the same KotH feelings as I did -- I didn't really like it when it was on the air, but now that it's cancelled, and on all the time, I've sorta given it a chance, and realized it's way funnier now that I consider it to be a parody and not just some simpsons clone of some weird awkward family

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That's it. It was always an exceptionally funny and satirical slice of life sitcom and excellently character driven. It ages well because it's so ubiquitously contemporary be it from real-world references or story themes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Meeble posted:

It was pretty amusing seeing prototypes of Peggy, Dale and Bill while I was rewatching Beavis and Butt-Head earlier.

And of course Hank being Mr. Anderson. But everyone knows that.
Hank is easy, but who are the prototypes for Dale and Bill?

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!
I also find myself taking to the show a lot more now, and I think a lot of it has to do with the landscape of animated sitcoms. For years everyone was making Simpsons clones about modern families and King of the Hill was just this likable little show plugging away in the background. I'd watch it every once in a while, chuckle a couple times and forget about it again. Nowadays, blame it on Family Guy's belated success or whatever but so many animated shows are as surreal, nihilistic and in-your-face "edgy" as possible. And I LIKE that sort of thing, but it's such a breath of fresh air to watch King of the Hill and remember that a show can be firmly rooted in reality, treat its characters with respect and dignity, AND be funny. It would be so easy to let it devolve into a bunch of "lol rednecks" jokes but KOTH is too smart and subtle for that. Even my mom's gotten addicted to it now that it's on all the drat time.

Horseface fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 9, 2010

Murray the Hump
Nov 11, 2006

Veni Vedi Dormivi

LividLiquid posted:

I'm not sure if this is what Meeble was referring to, but in the episode where B&B call the phone sex line, there is a man who looks just like Dale wearing nothing but boots and tighty whities (besides his hat and glasses), watching TV and smoking, in the phone sex operator's trailer.

For those tracking this: the Fox affiliate in Atlanta played the bat episode Friday night.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
"Bobby, the patch goes on your arm!"
"Grrrrrrrr" scampers away

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Murray the Hump posted:

I'm not sure if this is what Meeble was referring to, but in the episode where B&B call the phone sex line, there is a man who looks just like Dale wearing nothing but boots and tighty whities (besides his hat and glasses), watching TV and smoking, in the phone sex operator's trailer.

For those tracking this: the Fox affiliate in Atlanta played the bat episode Friday night.
Thanks. This shared schedule is so weird - it skips around between brief streaks of running the show in proper order (in this case, it's been showing S12 properly for a week or two, but it will soon randomly skip to somewhere out of order).

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

In the Speech Therapy episode Beavis and Butt-head are forced to take a class with a woman who looks exactly like Peggy, and is just as clueless.

As someone said earlier, there is a man that looks like Dale in the phone sex episode. (He is the dude smoking a cigarette in his underwear).

The Bill one is a bit of a stretch. But in one episode Mr. Anderson goes to see an old friend of his named "Bill" who is a fat, balding bartender.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
My favorite Hank moment is when he imitates Clint Eastwood saying "That propane tank is empty," for his idea about a film based on propane.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2APponvMqs

It's the very end that does it. The rat riding the can across the sea of Mountain Dew kills me.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

I've always found KotH action sequences to be hilarious. Like when Luanne's mom attacked people or, my favorite, when they were shooting that video for the Cowboys and the rats got out and the monkeys were grabbing Nancy's hair.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Suben posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2APponvMqs

It's the very end that does it. The rat riding the can across the sea of Mountain Dew kills me.

Dew,
Mountain

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
"Fire!" is not the worst thing you can yell in a theater. It's "Bruce Willis is a ghost!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Better boil up some Mt Dew.