Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Noktorn posted:

I'm tight with Funeral Grave, they're all cool guys.

Cool, can you ask him why they left barbarian wrath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

private message posted:

Hinsidig's new album Bak og Forbi... is some really good atmospheric black metal. It sounds sort of like a mix of Ulver and Nyktalgia. The guitar leads and the drums are especially good. Highly recommended!

That sounds like a good mix. Will check out!

Kaiho posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but in case it hasn't, apparently they've released a lot of the material from the Hideous Gnosis black metal and theory symposium: http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com/ (especially for you, EvilMoJoJoJo)

Likewise! :)

Kinda related, I'm really enjoying the Extreme Metal book/sociology PhD thesis by Keith Kahn-Harris - it's accessible enough to anyone with a basic grounding in academic jargon, and is quite thought-provoking. Caucasus Belli, would you like to borrow it when I'm done?

Also, thinking about going to see Wodensthrone on Friday, and if anyone has any opinions on them I'd be keen to hear them.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

MrBling posted:

Cool, can you ask him why they left barbarian wrath?

Don't quote me on this, because it was a while ago that we talked about it, but I think it comes down to BW just being sort of unprofessional. Heavily delaying releases, not being communicative, poo poo like that. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

thepitgoddess posted:

Unneeded name drop!

On topic, Shining is working on a new one.
VII!

Yeah well gently caress them they dropped off the Behemoth tour :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Noktorn posted:

Don't quote me on this, because it was a while ago that we talked about it, but I think it comes down to BW just being sort of unprofessional. Heavily delaying releases, not being communicative, poo poo like that. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

I guess that can happen when it is basically just one guy running the label in his free time.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Kinda related, I'm really enjoying the Extreme Metal book/sociology PhD thesis by Keith Kahn-Harris - it's accessible enough to anyone with a basic grounding in academic jargon, and is quite thought-provoking. Caucasus Belli, would you like to borrow it when I'm done?

Oh, I didn't know it was his PhD thesis originally. That's neat. If CB doesn't pick it up I'll gladly read it ^^

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

Yeah well gently caress them they dropped off the Behemoth tour :(

I thought it was a visa issue, not a them being assholes issue.
I wouldn't be shocked either way.

But I did want to see them, I was going to skip my first once a week night class and everything :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

thepitgoddess posted:

I thought it was a visa issue, not a them being assholes issue.
I wouldn't be shocked either way.

But I did want to see them, I was going to skip my first once a week night class and everything :(

Oh I know - no sane country would let Nik Kvarforth in. I'm just bitter about it because I was so excited.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Nice, a Vreid guitarist left the band and they're replacing him with a guy from Windir. I believe that makes vreid entirely made up of ex-windir guys now. I'm skeptically hopeful about them not sucking anymore.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=132916

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Morbid Florist posted:

Nice, a Vreid guitarist left the band and they're replacing him with a guy from Windir. I believe that makes vreid entirely made up of ex-windir guys now. I'm skeptically hopeful about them not sucking anymore.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=132916

Yessssssssssssss! He's the guy that made Mistur awesome and this is absolutely fantastic news.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Did he (the now-ex guitarist) have any songwriting input on previous records?

edit: Checking metal-archives, Milorg was written exclusively by Hvåll and Sture, so the previous guitarist didn't have influence in that. I still haven't listened to any Vreid.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 5, 2010

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Kaiho posted:

Did he (the now-ex guitarist) have any songwriting input on previous records?

edit: Checking metal-archives, Milorg was written exclusively by Hvåll and Sture, so the previous guitarist didn't have influence in that. I still haven't listened to any Vreid.

Pitch Black Brigade was decent but I can't stand anything else. I'm just hoping the addition of more windir will bring the rest of them out of whatever stupor they've been in. Especially if he's the major force behind mistur.

edit: I just checked the liner notes for 1184 and Likferd and he's not credited with music writing. I just felt hope drop a bit. Depressingly enough Hvall is the co-writer for both and gently caress look what he's been doing :(

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 5, 2010

Yo Chi Minh
Nov 8, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Also, thinking about going to see Wodensthrone on Friday, and if anyone has any opinions on them I'd be keen to hear them.

I'm going to this (there's also Fen the day after). Loss is a fantastic album and is thoroughly recommended!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Yo Chi Minh posted:

I'm going to this (there's also Fen the day after). Loss is a fantastic album and is thoroughly recommended!

Ha, I'll be at the Fen gig too. See you there! Let me know if you want to meet up for a mini BM goon meet :)

Thanks for the album info, will try and have a listen before Friday!

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Morbid Florist posted:

Nice, a Vreid guitarist left the band and they're replacing him with a guy from Windir. I believe that makes vreid entirely made up of ex-windir guys now.

That's awesome.

Am I the only one here who really likes Vreid? I thought Milorg was a great album.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Caucasus Belli posted:

That's awesome.

Am I the only one here who really likes Vreid? I thought Milorg was a great album.

:hfive: I was looking for a sol hand raise smiley, but I'm lazy. I liked Milorg and I Krig. Plus I got to see them live :D That was cool too!
I guess we're the odd pair out here.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

lordblytzkrieg posted:

There's gotta be more bands like Myrkgrav out there. Off the top of my head I can think of Falkenbach and Manegarm, but other than that I can't think of anymore. Any recommendations?

Edit: Mostly just looking for black metal with the folky chanting. I can't get enough of it.

Bit late here, but have you checked out Horn? One-man bm (but with actual drums) from Germany, some of the best pagan stuff I've ever heard. Can't recommend him highly enough, and I've yet to read a reaction that's any less than glowing. The production's not as "quality" as Myrkgrav, but the music is unbelievably good. Long songs, loads of amazing riffs, and tons of atmosphere. Hell, I think I'm gonna go listen again now. (I got my Horn CD's from The End, so they're not that hard to find.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Caucasus Belli posted:

That's awesome.

Nah, I quite like 'em too. Enjoyed I Krig more than Milorg, mainly because the Norwegian lyrics on the former are actually pretty good/poetic while the English lyrics on the latter read more like a chapter by chapter synopsis of a high school history book. (Their first two albums each have a few really good songs as well but also a fair amount of filler.)

Victim of Changes
Jan 5, 2010

Black Magic
I'm a big fan of Master's Hammer, which will probably always be one of the most underrated black metal bands of the 1990's. They released a "comeback" album recently, but the samples on their website didn't interest me. I expected that would be the case. I'm really happy about owning their first two albums on vinyl.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Caucasus Belli posted:

That's awesome.

Milorg is all I've heard from them but it's a loving great album

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Victim of Changes posted:

I'm a big fan of Master's Hammer, which will probably always be one of the most underrated black metal bands of the 1990's. They released a "comeback" album recently, but the samples on their website didn't interest me. I expected that would be the case. I'm really happy about owning their first two albums on vinyl.

Ritual rules

I've heard Mantras once, and it didn't strike me as as good as Ritual, but it seemed pretty worthwhile still

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden

Victim of Changes posted:

It's actually very good for what it is. plenty of great riff's and the vocals are loving awesome.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Do WITTR put on a decent live show? they're coming to town, don't want to blow money on a potential wall of sound bore-fest. Some music is just meant to be played in the studio only y'know!

Thoughts on Caïna's latest?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Cold Day posted:

Do WITTR put on a decent live show? they're coming to town, don't want to blow money on a potential wall of sound bore-fest. Some music is just meant to be played in the studio only y'know!

It's a wall of sound but an amazing one. I've seen them what, three times now and the first time was the best but they've always been good. It definitely is not studio-only music.

It does help that I am one of those people that really likes them (though I prefer the earlier material to the later).

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Haha, Keep of Kalessin beat some crappy reality TV rejects and are on to the national finals for the Eurovision Contest. Their song is perfect really, it's the kind of metal song people who don't like metal can enjoy. Too bad it loving sucks.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pleasure to chill posted:

Haha, Keep of Kalessin beat some crappy reality TV rejects and are on to the national finals for the Eurovision Contest. Their song is perfect really, it's the kind of metal song people who don't like metal can enjoy. Too bad it loving sucks.

I think it's against the rules or something to submit a song that does not suck.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Cold Day posted:

WitTR are awesome as hell live and you should go and see them. Don't expect any crowd interaction, just a superbly played and thoroughly atmospheric set. They're a lot better live than they are on CD in my opinion. Also they're fond of playing in the dark with candles if the venue permits.

The new Caïna is the very best Caïna, Drilling the Spire is one of the most amazing things I've heard in ages. Don't care that much about the rest of the EP, but it's good stuff.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Nthing the Caina love - the new EP blows my mind, especially the imagery evoked by Spire. The vocals especially are just flawless and much improved from previous works.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I don't know if this was posted before but it's hilarious and awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzrTKbEhDE&feature=player_embedded

The dude from Cobalt on Fox News. It's Red Eye and not one of their main shows, but still...something you'd never expect!

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Nice, just noticed that there's a new Borknagar album coming out next month. Going to be awesome, totally calling it.

edit: And then there's a new Burzum album (The White God/Belus) coming out in March/April, wonder how that one will turn out.

feraltennisprodigy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2010

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Cold Day posted:

Thank you for these guys. I just checked them out and I am in love.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Nice, just noticed that there's a new Borknagar album coming out next month. Going to be awesome, totally calling it.

edit: And then there's a new Burzum album (The White God/Belus) coming out in March/April, wonder how that one will turn out.

Not only is new Borknagar coming out, it's coming out in 4 different versions!

There's the regular CD, a limited edition digipack, a limited edition digipack with a pretty box, extra songs, and jewelery (necklace and keychain), and a vinyl version.

I'll probably get the pretty box version; I want the extra songs, and I could always use a new keychain.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I think it will be good. I dont see why Varg wouldn't still be creating good riffs, even if it isnt really BM.

Also, to whoever suggested Drudkh - Autumn Auroa it is probably the best thing I got out of here since the Ulver - Bergtatt album.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Posting another song by my band, any feedback would be appreciated.
The album will hopefully be finished soon, I'll post the whole thing here if anyone is interested.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Plasma1010 posted:

I think it will be good. I dont see why Varg wouldn't still be creating good riffs, even if it isnt really BM.

Also, to whoever suggested Drudkh - Autumn Auroa it is probably the best thing I got out of here since the Ulver - Bergtatt album.

Check out Drudkh's new album, Microcosmos, it's every bit as good, if not better than, Autumn Aurorora

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Oh hey - speaking of Borknagar, they are having a listening party in Chicago, Feb 14th, featuring their new drummer.

Borknagar posted:

CHICAGO LISTENING PARTY OF NEW ALBUM ANNOUNCED
BORKNAGAR- CHICAGO LISTENING SESSION OF NEW ALBUM ANNOUNCED

Borknagar has scheduled a listening party for their new album entitled "UNIVERSAL",
on Sunday February 14th, at EXIT in Chicago Illinois.
Borknagar drummer David Kinkade will be on hand from 10pm until 4am, as guest DJ for the event.
EXIT-
1315 W. NORTH AVE
CHICAGO ILLINOIS
21& over
No cover

"UNIVERSAL" is set for release on February 22, 2010 in Europe and March 2, 2010 in North America through Indie Recordings and The End records.
"Universal" track listing:

01. Havoc
02. Reason
03. The Stir of Seasons
04. For a Thousand Years to Come
05. Abrasion Tide
06. Fleshflower
07. Worldwide
08. My Domain (feat. guest vocals by I.C.S Vortex)

"Universal" was recorded and mixed at Toproom Studio in Lunner, Norway, with the band members themselves handling the production duties.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Check out Drudkh's new album, Microcosmos, it's every bit as good, if not better than, Autumn Aurorora

Nahhhhh. I liked it at first, but then it rang hollow for me.

Forgotten Legends is the equal of Autumn Aurora, and Blood In Our Wells is the only other one right up there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

catbread.jpg posted:

Nahhhhh. I liked it at first, but then it rang hollow for me.

Forgotten Legends is the equal of Autumn Aurora, and Blood In Our Wells is the only other one right up there.

Blood in Our Wells is fantastic, I forgot about that one.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I saw Behemoth on their current North Amerikkkan tour over the weekend. Pretty decent set. Metal Blade's new artists Lightning Swords of Death were particularly good too. Very Watain-ish! Behemoth's set was as follows...

1. Ov Fire And The Void
2. Demigod
3. Shemamforash
4. Conquer All
5. LAM
6. As Above So Below
7. Slaves Shall Serve (Demigod)
8. At The Left Hand Ov God

----(drum solo)----
9. Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
10. Decade Of Therion
11. Christians To The Lions
12. Chant For Ezkaton 2000

----(encore)----
13. Lucifer

I could have sworn I heard Prometherion in there too, but I was wrong. Seriously missed having Antichristian Phenomenon in the set as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I saw Behemoth on their current North Amerikkkan tour over the weekend. Pretty decent set. Metal Blade's new artists Lightning Swords of Death were particularly good too. Very Watain-ish! Behemoth's set was as follows...

1. Ov Fire And The Void
2. Demigod
3. Shemamforash
4. Conquer All
5. LAM
6. As Above So Below
7. Slaves Shall Serve (Demigod)
8. At The Left Hand Ov God

----(drum solo)----
9. Alas, Lord Is Upon Me
10. Decade Of Therion
11. Christians To The Lions
12. Chant For Ezkaton 2000

----(encore)----
13. Lucifer

I could have sworn I heard Prometherion in there too, but I was wrong. Seriously missed having Antichristian Phenomenon in the set as well.
Wait were you at the Raleigh gig? So was I. I was in the very front with a grey Neurosis hoodie on.