Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Cable Industry, the bell tolls for thee.

What is it?

Announced late last year, the Boxee Box is the hardware manifestation of Boxee's media manager software, similar to XMBC.

The Boxee Box is similar to Apple TV, WD TV, and other set up devices, in that it allows you to stream media from a networked PC, networked storage, or a locally attached storage device. In addition, it has integrated streaming video capabilities from Hulu, NBC, Youtube, Facebook, etc, as well as different apps and widgets such as Pandora.

What does it support?

I'll keep this short: just about everything.

If you've ever used the Boxee software you know that it will open just about anything including ISOs and .part files.

We're also getting Flash 10.1 support and a built in web browser so we'll be able to watch videos from sites that don't have an API to be used for integration.

What about the hardware?

Tegra2 BITCHES! The interface should be snappy and 1080p should be no problem what-so-ever.

Boxee Blog posted:

With Tegra 2 powering the Boxee Box you can:

* Enjoy a fluid and responsive user interface that is similar to the UI performance up till now available only on full blown PCs
* Play 1080p video from locally stored content and stream HD video content from the Internet
* Play Adobe® Flash® 10.1 content from across the web, including HD content

More inside the Box:

* RF chip by Nordic – to support a great remote control experience that is not dependent on line-of-sight and can work from anywhere in the house
* 802.11N wireless chip by Broadcom

What’s not in the Box:

* No hard-drive – We discussed hard-drive at length with D-Link, and figured people already have storage solutions, and that we should do our best to reduce the price of the Boxee Box. You’ll be able to connect your choice of storage devices directly to the Box using USB
* No IR – While we realize many people are using universal remotes, we believe there is a greater benefit having a full QWERTY keyboard, and the right way to do that was RF. We really wanted to also support IR, for various reasons we could not get it as part of the build. We continue supporting this in software, so you can use any IR dongle and continue using your universal remote with Boxee.

Notice the bit about no IR? Well check out this remote:

Yes, that's a full QWERTY keyboard on the back of the remote. However, based on the statement on their blog it appears as though you can plug in a USB IR dongle and continue to use your own remote.

And of course you have to connect it to your 13" B&W somehow, right?

HDMI
Optical Audio
RCA Stereo Audio
WiFi (802.11n)
Ethernet
2 USB Ports
SD Cart Slot
RF Remote
QWERTY Keyboard

Let's say I have a 50" Walmart special, what will the UI look like?

New: Video of UI over at Gizmodo

https://wi.somethingawful.com/13/13b795f74fb603794808a4bffeb1b41d6f080085.jpg

Does this spell the end for subscription cable and satellite TV?

Yes.

Ok I'm sold, when can I get one?

Supposedly in Q1 of this year for less than $200. The device it being manufactured by D-Link.

Other Resources
http://www.boxee.tv/box
http://blog.boxee.tv/
http://gizmodo.com/5421014/boxee-beta-finally-ready-for-primetime-just-about

Most content shamlessly stolen from Boxee's website and Gizmodo. Many thanks.

Revision History:
1/9/2010: Original post, edit to add UI video
1/9/2010: Added note about using an IR dongle for universal remotes

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There's an app for that!

One of the biggest features of Boxee is the addition of App support. This may seem like retarded bandwagoning, but keep in mind that everyone has different tastes for what they want to see on their screen.

Some of the cool apps that will be included at launch are:

Oh whoops I gave it away! Netflix and Pandora!

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 9, 2010

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I'm a die hard XBMC fan, but I've gotta say, that looks loving awesome.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I like boxee on my ATV, but 1080p support will make me replace it with this thing. And around $200? loving sold.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

$200, I can get behind that, considering my current plan was to buy a $200 nettop and drop Boxee on it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This looks pretty god drat awesome, hope it comes to the UK.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is it confirmed the Boxee box will have Hulu? Wasn't that removed from Boxee?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

When you search for a tv show or movie it looks for any available source, this includes Hulu.

Take The Office for example. When you search for it, it will give you the option to play it from Hulu or NBC and tell you if it's ad supported or not.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
This makes my Popcorn Hour look like it should be riding the short bus :(

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Casao posted:

It was, but Boxee found a work around.

Boxee will open a browser that will open up to Hulu. There is really no way for Hulu to block this, as this is the way they want people to watch their content.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Jealous Cow posted:

There's an app for that!

One of the biggest features of Boxee is the addition of App support. This may seem like retarded bandwagoning, but keep in mind that everyone has different tastes for what they want to see on their screen.

Some of the cool apps that will be included at launch are:

Oh whoops I gave it away! Netflix and Pandora!

I am 410% smiles and 100% buying one of these if the MLB.tv app isn't a total piece of junk (notwithstanding that MLB.tv itself is a little grody).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Damnit, the only thing that makes me tethered to cable is local programing (well, and internet). I guess I can look into hd antenna tuners and this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to strwrsxprt for fixing the thread title!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I hope I can add IR so I can use my harmony.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kri kri posted:

I hope I can add IR so I can use my harmony.

Yes, you can! Lemme add that to the op!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wow this looks pretty cool. Guess it's finally time to retire my xbox with xbmc (which i barely use anyhow, because i don't want my living room to sound like a jet when I'm not watching Snakes on a Plane.)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a netflix app for this?

Just read 2nd post :awesome:

Can you skin boxee like xbmc?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chutwig posted:

I am 410% smiles and 100% buying one of these if the MLB.tv app isn't a total piece of junk (notwithstanding that MLB.tv itself is a little grody).

MLB.TV on this thing? I need to get one.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That case design is cool but gently caress if I can figure out how thats going to fit alongside the other things attached to my TV. Otherwise this looks great and exactly what I've been waiting for to replace my sad old XBMC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

8ender posted:

That case design is cool but gently caress if I can figure out how thats going to fit alongside the other things attached to my TV. Otherwise this looks great and exactly what I've been waiting for to replace my sad old XBMC.

Its pretty drat small.

The picture of it next to a can of coke should be in the OP.

OP do you work for boxee?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
For 200 bucks, I'm sold. I've been tossing around the idea of putting a media center on the TV, but haven't because of laziness and cost.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CitizenKain posted:

For 200 bucks, I'm sold. I've been tossing around the idea of putting a media center on the TV, but haven't because of laziness and cost.

Ditto. I'm getting one of these and cancelling cable. It will pay for itself within two months.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I know the post said "your choice of storage device" but I want to make sure that this means USB2 based DVD drives as that's pretty much is how I store content. That's kind of the one thing that's put me off to boxes like this as they tend to freak out if it's not a hard drive at least in the limited experience I've had with them.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
For those thinking they won't have a good place to put it, just look at the size of this thing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Will the new Boxee and Boxeebox support Netflix HD?

The more successful this is, the more those Comcast assholes are going to push to make Hulu for-pay anyways. :(

edit: I guess I use my 360 for Zune marketplace movies, Netflix and DVD's right now anyways, this would just replace the local media player stuff on the 360 and my cable box.

All it needs is some way to get Sirius on there and I'd be a happy clam.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 9, 2010

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
I can't decide between this or waiting for the PopBox. I absolutely hate that ugly as gently caress design (wonder if the case can be swapped into something else) but for all it does it looks pretty neat. I just hope since I don't have cover images for the movies I ripped, it won't look like a big bunch of empty itunes pics.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
i probably missed it but im guessing this grabs movie covers for you??? im guessing it does with all the stuff it grabs for tv shows

the popbox does it im pretty sure, but popbox has stupid ads all over it and boxee doesnt. seems like an easy choice (even though boxee form factor is kind of weird)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A note about the strange design:

When attempting to establish a brand image it is often helpful to reply on evocative rather than descriptive.

In the case of design, all the competitors are all descriptive. The design is a simple box that blends in with everything else. Every new device that is released it just another rectangular box that sits next to your TV.

The design of the Boxee, while unconventional, is meant to evoke a certain emotion when viewed in marketing material next to a TV, it's meant to stand out and be easily recognizable.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Omegaslast posted:

i probably missed it but im guessing this grabs movie covers for you??? im guessing it does with all the stuff it grabs for tv shows

the popbox does it im pretty sure, but popbox has stupid ads all over it and boxee doesnt. seems like an easy choice (even though boxee form factor is kind of weird)

Sure does. The beta is publicly available right now on their website, so you can get a feel for what the UI is going to be like before the box comes out.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I want to know how much and what type of information is stored.
I'm kinda concerned that boxee will "do a digsby" type thing.

I really don't need the entire world to know every single piece of media that get played on my TV.

:tinfoil:

E: this was one of the major attractions for me with XBMC.
My media, my way, on tap.

While I can see that boxee is awesome for last.fm, if it's storing every post i read on digg and the likes, it's potentially a facebook scenario for potential employers to mine.

employer: you watched stuff that got banned by youtube.
me: yeah, maybe, it's the kind of thing i do.
employer: see ya, we'll call you.

E2: the directors cut
http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=4543
has an answer, i'm reading it now :D

url fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 10, 2010

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Slightly off topic, but how can I find goons with boxee accounts?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

The design of the Boxee, while unconventional, is meant to evoke a certain emotion when viewed in marketing material next to a TV, it's meant to stand out and be easily recognizable.
I'm hoping this is a sarcastic copy/paste because the only emotion I get when seeing it is "drat, that's ugly".

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

I'm hoping this is a sarcastic copy/paste because the only emotion I get when seeing it is "drat, that's ugly".

Mine is "I can't stack poo poo on that thing".

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've used Boxee since the alpha and jesus christ they have grown up.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
HDMI is your only video out is kinda lame, but it has RCA audio :confused:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Upside Potential posted:

Being that HDMI is pretty much the definitive a/v pipeline nowadays why is it 'kinda lame'?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Upside Potential posted:

Some older HDTVs have DVI and RCA audio instead of HDMI.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
what would be my best option for running over the air HD to boxee?
when they speak about storage is there any standalone hard rive/pvr type devices that would not require me going through my PC?

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

Chemmy posted:

Some older HDTVs have DVI and RCA audio instead of HDMI.

MY older HDTV has composite and RCA stereo audio. Its just strange that it has RCA audio but not composite is the weird thing to me, but progress and all that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

How would this compare to using an Xbox 360 extender with WMC? It seems it has way more Internet TV support and probably supports more codecs. Anything else I'm missing?

• Locked thread