Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Castro posted:

He is litter trained and just recently decided that this litter box wasn't his bag anymore. So, to elaborate on my previous reply, I was wondering if it was just the non-neutering or something else that could be causing it? Sorry for the confusion, I did know that not being neutered causes this just didn't phrase my reply well at all.

"I am beefy male bun. I will mark my territory so other males know this is my crib and I will pop a cap in any fluffy bobtailed rear end that don't give me respect. Bitches dig that poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

angelicism posted:

Oh, I think I forgot to post these!

A few weeks ago we got several inches of snow and I had nothing to do on a Saturday afternoon so I thought I'd see how the kids would feel about a snow day.

Frith was a little skeptical for a while but he eventually came out. When I dumped him out of the bag and left him to fend for himself. :D

And then I got too cold to keep holding my iphone with ungloved hands to take pictures. In the end, they were having lots of fun, running around, digging in the snow, etc and the limiting factor was just me being too loving cold to stay out longer. :(

Next time we get another pile of snow I'll take them out again.

How do you keep them from just hauling rear end away? I would be afraid my rabbits would go "FREEEEEDOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!" and be gone.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm guessing it was a fenced in backyard.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DS at Night posted:

I'm guessing it was a fenced in backyard.

You think a fence is gonna stop a determined rabbit? :smugbert:

In unrelated news (but related to another recent subthread) our bun definitely seems to change his peeing habits over time; he's 3.5 years and fixed but still pees outside his litterbox relatively frequently. Just got him a bigger one in the hopes that it's just him feeling the old one got dirty too fast.

This is a while after moving him to litterboxes from having a smallish cage totally floored with bedding. Never had problems with that at all, obviously, but we wanted to move him to one of those homemade storage-cube-based cages so he'd have more room, thus a litterbox.

(He also took to peeing in his hay bin which was adjacent to the litterbox; so now with the bigger one I just throw the hay in a corner of it, let him do whatever the gently caress, and hope he eats more than he pees on. Little jerk, he's lucky he's so drat cute! :allears:)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Ghost of Castro posted:

He is litter trained and just recently decided that this litter box wasn't his bag anymore. So, to elaborate on my previous reply, I was wondering if it was just the non-neutering or something else that could be causing it? Sorry for the confusion, I did know that not being neutered causes this just didn't phrase my reply well at all.

Ah. I'm still betting on him not being neutered because as rabbits go through maturation, their temperaments and bathroom habits can change especially if they're not fixed. How old is the rabbit? Mine went through rear end in a top hat teen years until he was about 2.5 (I have his actual birthday because he was born in a shelter).

GrAviTy84, I think that's a really good idea. We seem to get quite a few bunny threads outside of this one and a lot of questions in this one. It's also pretty long at this point so I guess it's slightly unreasonable for me to ask someone to read a 90+ page thread. I would be willing to write a draft and PM it to people to look it over...does anyone want to help? I think it's just easiest to refer them to the house rabbit society.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I might be getting another Flemish in the near future to bond to June. I am in the process of moving to a bigger house, so we will see what happens in the next few weeks. :3: What is really cool about this is that now the buns will have way more room rather than just the living room so they can both be out all the time (previously it was a rotation thing since the boys fight but now one will be upstairs and one will be downstairs)

Also, to the poster that is having litterbox problems, get your bun neutered but also take him to a rabbit savvy vet and have them rule out urinary infection or other problems. If a bunny isn't feeling well and is having health problems, oftentimes they will show it be "losing" their box habits.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Bunway Airlines posted:

Ah. I'm still betting on him not being neutered because as rabbits go through maturation, their temperaments and bathroom habits can change especially if they're not fixed. How old is the rabbit? Mine went through rear end in a top hat teen years until he was about 2.5 (I have his actual birthday because he was born in a shelter).

He is about a year and a half old, so it probably fits in the rear end in a top hat teen years haha.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

KenMornignstar posted:

How do you keep them from just hauling rear end away? I would be afraid my rabbits would go "FREEEEEDOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!" and be gone.

They love me? :D

I bring the buns outside all the time. They don't really like walking on concrete so the patches of grass surrounded by walkway are actually incredibly useful: plop them in the middle of a grass patch and they'll probably happily stay in the grass patch.

Frith more so than Zen actually. Zen will occasionally haul off and I have to run after her, but she'll stop and watch me do this. I suspect I exist just for her amusement.

(There is no fence and there is no backyard; I live in an apartment complex.)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Apparently my wife buys poison flowers for our house and one of the petals was on the floor and Cilantro found it and ate it.

Any one know if Alstroemeria (Peruvian Lily) is something we need to be immediately worried about or will this all just blow over? Everything we've found so far says that it is a mildly toxic plant that can cause vomiting or diarrhea in humans when ingested. She only got a single petal but she's only a 6 lb bunny. That said, she's already done several "I ate a poisonous flower petal" victory laps around the living room.

Edit - One e-mail to the vet later and we now know that Cilantro would have to eat her body weight in Peruvian Lily petals to get sick. The More You Know©

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 8, 2010

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Welp, we got the bunny. I will get around to posting pictures eventually.

The bunny has adjusted extremely well. His name at the Humane Society was Cadberry, and we are sticking with that (someone thought it was an awesome pun of Cadbury, I guess).

The only probably we have had is one of our cats loves eating the timothy hay. I have no idea what to do about it, either.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Cats need fibre too.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ever since we have had our bunny he will only eat two vegetables, cilantro and carrot. Everything else I've given him he has refused. I keep trying though. :) He also likes pineapple but I only give him a very small amount every once in a while.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ghost of Castro posted:

Ever since we have had our bunny he will only eat two vegetables, cilantro and carrot. Everything else I've given him he has refused. I keep trying though. :) He also likes pineapple but I only give him a very small amount every once in a while.

Forgive me if you already know this, but you should probably treat carrots like you do pineapple, they are quite high in sugar. If all he likes is cilantro, have you tried other herbs like mint, parsley, or basil? It's an expensive habit I know, but I've found that the cheapest places to get these kinds of herbs are Asian or Hispanic Grocery stores (especially cilantro) whereas Ralph's or Vons (I'm in so cal) would sell cilantro @ $0.79/bunch, the local 99 Ranch Market sells cilantro for 4/$1, and their bunches are even bigger. Just a helpful, money saving tip.

Edit: If he ends up liking mint, you should try growing it yourself. It is really hardy and grows like it's on steroids. At least here in California.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Ghost of Castro posted:

He is about a year and a half old, so it probably fits in the rear end in a top hat teen years haha.

Yep. Have fun :D I'm kidding only slightly, but yes neutering and a bladder check would a good first step. Also offer more litter boxes and keep them really clean, because some buns don't like any filth.

Ragnarok Plus
Jul 19, 2003

"I don't want to solve this mystery."
Some very bad news:

Apparently while my husband is not allergic to bunnies, he is VERY allergic to hay. All research I've done so far suggests that these is no real way to provide a healthy diet for bunnies sans hay and would otherwise be subjecting them to an early death. Unless someone here has found another way to get around this problem as searching a good deal of the internet has yielded me nothing, I will have to give them up. I am -incredibly- heartbroken right now.

I figure this would be a good place to start to see if there's anyone near south Orange County, California that would be interested in taking in my two buns. They're now 10 weeks old, got over their initial shyness and warmed up greatly to me and are very loving and sociable now. I did not yet get the chance to take them to the vet so they are not yet sexed. I also did not have the chance to get them a much larger enclosure so they are currently in this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3057124&lmdn=Product+Type only the 36" version.

I do know people who would probably take them in among my own social circle, but who would probably treat them like fuzzy fish at best and I'd rather take a shot at finding someone who'd love and take care of them properly.

Worst Christmas present ever.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Ragnarok Plus posted:

Some very bad news:

Apparently while my husband is not allergic to bunnies, he is VERY allergic to hay. All research I've done so far suggests that these is no real way to provide a healthy diet for bunnies sans hay and would otherwise be subjecting them to an early death. Unless someone here has found another way to get around this problem as searching a good deal of the internet has yielded me nothing, I will have to give them up. I am -incredibly- heartbroken right now.

My husband did allergy shots, we switched to a type of grass hay that he was less allergic to (orchardgrass), and he took Claritin when his allergies acted up.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Ragnarok Plus posted:

Some very bad news:

Apparently while my husband is not allergic to bunnies, he is VERY allergic to hay.

We previously used just orchard grass and didn't have any allergy problems, but recently we got some timothy and our allergies have been going crazy since then. So perhaps you could try a different type of hay and see if your husband's allergies improve?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I've been having stronger reactions to timothy hay recently myself :\

I'm not sure if it's just some cheap and dusty hay that I'm trying to burn through before getting better stuff, or my allergies are just getting worse. it's annoying...and my rabbit doesn't like orchard grass nearly as much.

So now my fiance has to fill up his hay at night so I don't spend the next hour sniffling and trying to breath while I'm going to sleep

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ragnarok Plus posted:

Hay makes me sneeze like crazy and my eyes water and all that fun sinus stuff. If I hold my breath while I put hay in her litter box, it's better but I still need to wash my hands afterward.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

pseudonordic posted:

Hay makes me sneeze like crazy and my eyes water and all that fun sinus stuff. If I hold my breath while I put hay in her litter box, it's better but I still need to wash my hands afterward.

My allergist did several dozen tests on me, and my worst reaction was to timothy hay and other grasses. There have been times where I have had severe sneezing/allergic reactions to the hay in our home for several days. Click here if you want to see my arm's gross reaction (right column = timothy and other grasses)!

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

KracKiwi posted:

My allergist did several dozen tests on me, and my worst reaction was to timothy hay and other grasses. There have been times where I have had severe sneezing/allergic reactions to the hay in our home for several days. Click here if you want to see my arm's gross reaction (right column = timothy and other grasses)!

This is why I will never see an allergist even though my allergies go crazy and I don't know the cause...

On another note, what is the best way to store bulk hay? I was considering buying some from Kleen Mama but I don't know the best way to keep it for long periods of time. ETA: We live in a one bedroom apartment with a small private patio, so it's not like I have a barn or something...

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Forgive me if you already know this, but you should probably treat carrots like you do pineapple, they are quite high in sugar. If all he likes is cilantro, have you tried other herbs like mint, parsley, or basil? It's an expensive habit I know, but I've found that the cheapest places to get these kinds of herbs are Asian or Hispanic Grocery stores (especially cilantro) whereas Ralph's or Vons (I'm in so cal) would sell cilantro @ $0.79/bunch, the local 99 Ranch Market sells cilantro for 4/$1, and their bunches are even bigger. Just a helpful, money saving tip.

Edit: If he ends up liking mint, you should try growing it yourself. It is really hardy and grows like it's on steroids. At least here in California.

I give him very limited amount of carrot, and I'll get some mint next time when I get groceries and then maybe grow some. Always wanted to start a small herb garden in the window.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

justFaye posted:

On another note, what is the best way to store bulk hay?

Just leave it in the box. Long term storage is typically only a problem if you're in a humid environment. KM's hay comes in a bag inside a box, and she recommends you just pull the bag out if it's going to last you a while.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

All right, I'm starting to get a little bit worried, he hasn't been eating all of his cecals lately. Changing his diet doesn't seem to make a difference, he gets lots of hay, he doesn't act sick or lethargic, healthy appetite, his daytime poops are normal and plenty, he's definitely not too fat or immobile to reach them, I don't get it. I suppose maybe if I feed him less he'll consider them?

They also smell really bad, I'm not sure that's normal, his other poop doesn't smell. I can't blame him for not eating it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DS at Night posted:

All right, I'm starting to get a little bit worried, he hasn't been eating all of his cecals lately. Changing his diet doesn't seem to make a difference, he gets lots of hay, he doesn't act sick or lethargic, healthy appetite, his daytime poops are normal and plenty, he's definitely not too fat or immobile to reach them, I don't get it. I suppose maybe if I feed him less he'll consider them?

They also smell really bad, I'm not sure that's normal, his other poop doesn't smell. I can't blame him for not eating it.

Cecal pellets ALWAYS smell terrible. Its like rotting athlete sock mixed with rear end and dead foot. Nasty stuff.

Anyway if he is frolicking and happy and just not eating all the cecal pellets there are plenty of reasons. A bunny knows if it smells right or not and wont eat the ones that he doesnt find appetising. Sometimes the cecals just dont form right or he doesnt like them for a variety of reasons (ie: not enough mucus coating, imbalance in cecum bacteria beiung flushed out)

If its only one for two a day that shouldnt be a problem and as soon as his little bunny belly has gotten itself to right he will be back to eating his own poops in no time. If you are super worried or it affects his behaviour take him to a vet immediately.

Remember a rabbit will not allow you to think it is sick, you will only notice small things, like being stationary longer, no longer willing to be friskie and play or a slight crunching noise of his molars grinding together (not the purr vibration when they are happy but an audible "crunch" noise, this means he is in alot of pain)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Thanks for the info, I think it's only about half he doesn't eat, can't be completely sure though. It's nasty smelly slimy stuff, those poor rabbits, I had no idea. Having to eat that every day...

I've seen him trying to hide pain/discomfort before, this doesn't seem to be like that. He's still being social as ever, which in his case would be the first thing to go.

Yesterday I stepped in one that he let fly while sprinting laps around the room, it's like he doesn't care they exist anymore. Maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I'm wondering if I should actively try to switch my rabbit over to orchard grass...it'd be much easier on my allergies, but he didn't seem to like it as much as timothy hay. He'd eat it but it didn't seem like as much as he would eat the hay. I'd worry that he wasn't eating enough fiber or something :\

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

I'm wondering if I should actively try to switch my rabbit over to orchard grass...it'd be much easier on my allergies, but he didn't seem to like it as much as timothy hay. He'd eat it but it didn't seem like as much as he would eat the hay. I'd worry that he wasn't eating enough fiber or something :\

What you could try to do is only handle the timothy outside, like load up the litter box with it then bring the box in, wear a face mask and gloves while doing it. Then supplement with orchard grass over the course of the day/as they eat the timothy. The strategy, of course, being to disturb the timothy as little as possible, keeping as many small particles from becoming airborne as possible.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DS at Night posted:

Thanks for the info, I think it's only about half he doesn't eat, can't be completely sure though. It's nasty smelly slimy stuff, those poor rabbits, I had no idea. Having to eat that every day...

I've seen him trying to hide pain/discomfort before, this doesn't seem to be like that. He's still being social as ever, which in his case would be the first thing to go.

Yesterday I stepped in one that he let fly while sprinting laps around the room, it's like he doesn't care they exist anymore. Maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Mine will do that occasionally as well, if it lasts for more than 2 weeks I might have him looked at, but my fat rabbit (who can still reach her rear end, barely) will not eat hers sometimes, and its pretty funny because she stops, turns to eat it, takes one whiff and whips her head around, then drops a slimy load on my floor.

I'm thinking "Thanks, fucko." Especially because they are bigger than fecal pellets and the smell is... well you know, its bad.

EDIT: Also I am not a vet or anything, but I have noticed mine will mostly ignore them during hours where they normally aren't active. Rabbits, being crepuscular, are used to being active at dawn and dusk in the wild with nap times in between. When they are hauling rear end around the living room at noon, is when the fat one usually ignores it. Which may be because our species schedules are so different they are just out of whack in their circadian rhythms.

Might be a natural thing as they should be in their den all safe and cozy as they choke that stuff down. But instead they are out and about and still have that prey instinct to not stop and be alert. Hard to be alert with your face jammed in your rear end.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2010

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I demand pictures of fat bunnies. Eeeeee!

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

KenMornignstar posted:

a slight crunching noise of his molars grinding together (not the purr vibration when they are happy but an audible "crunch" noise, this means he is in alot of pain)

My rabbit makes that noise but he seems to be perfectly healthy, he's really energetic and has a huge appetite, and he only makes the noise when I'm petting his head which he seems to really like. It's not like a loud crunch, but it does sound like his teeth grinding together as opposed to that weird oinking sort of vocalization they sometimes do. I pet him and he sort of puts his head down on the floor and almost totally closes his eyes and makes that noise. Is it possible that noise isn't always bad?

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Relayer posted:

My rabbit makes that noise but he seems to be perfectly healthy, he's really energetic and has a huge appetite, and he only makes the noise when I'm petting his head which he seems to really like. It's not like a loud crunch, but it does sound like his teeth grinding together as opposed to that weird oinking sort of vocalization they sometimes do. I pet him and he sort of puts his head down on the floor and almost totally closes his eyes and makes that noise. Is it possible that noise isn't always bad?

Both of my rabbits grind their teeth lightly when they are happy. I've read online that this is typical. However, I've also read that they loudly grind their teeth when they are in pain. How you're supposed to distinguish between the two (without any other observations), I have no idea.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

KenMornignstar posted:

Mine will do that occasionally as well, if it lasts for more than 2 weeks I might have him looked at, but my fat rabbit (who can still reach her rear end, barely) will not eat hers sometimes, and its pretty funny because she stops, turns to eat it, takes one whiff and whips her head around, then drops a slimy load on my floor.

I'm thinking "Thanks, fucko." Especially because they are bigger than fecal pellets and the smell is... well you know, its bad.

I'm not sure when he does it, I've seen him do it in the morning though. And they're in his cage so apparently he doesn't care that much about time of day or whether or not he's in a safe area.

I'm gonna go with the "he's an rear end in a top hat" reason for doing it. He's certainly not too fat and spends half his day contorting himself into the strangest positions to groom himself, so I know he can do it. But hopefully this has all become moot as I don't think I've found any more leftover cecals in the past two days. Fingers crossed!

justFaye posted:

Both of my rabbits grind their teeth lightly when they are happy. I've read online that this is typical. However, I've also read that they loudly grind their teeth when they are in pain. How you're supposed to distinguish between the two (without any other observations), I have no idea.

I think a good way of knowing is seeing if they're relaxed when they're doing it. Lying on the floor, stretched out like a diva or being a bunny loaf while being petted, safe bet to say it's the good kind of grinding. If they're sitting up straight or hunched over in a corner looking wary, and you're not petting them or calling their name, it's the bad kind of grinding.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

DS at Night posted:

I think a good way of knowing is seeing if they're relaxed when they're doing it. Lying on the floor, stretched out like a diva or being a bunny loaf while being petted, safe bet to say it's the good kind of grinding. If they're sitting up straight or hunched over in a corner looking wary, and you're not petting them or calling their name, it's the bad kind of grinding.

yeah, after the first time that Paterson got sick I became very good at figuring out which was which. You will know.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
My bunny Harper likes orchard grass more than timothy. I give him some as a treat but stick to timothy as the base. Harper loving loves parsley. It is like he knows when I get it, too. He'll go nuts and headbutt me until I bring him some.

Harper does seem to like to attack my husband, though. He's really aggressive to males in general. Is there any reason for this? Harper is a year old and was neutered around 6 months of age. Is there anything we could do to quell some of this aggression?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

ARGH.

I occasionally let one of my buns have a "sleepover" in my room -- still only one at a time -- to let them have a little more play time while I'm sleeping. Aside from the fact that Zen seems to like to jump on my face at 4am, usually these sleepovers have been without mishaps.

Zen had a sleepover last night and aside from, as usual, waking me up around 4 or 5 am it was fine. I wake up this morning and there are a few pee spots on the carpet; I sigh and apply Nature's Miracle. I was in a rush this morning so I didn't make my bed.

It wasn't until tonight when I'm fluffing up my blanket with Frith that I realize Zen peed ALL OVER MY COMFORTER. There are like 3 huge pee stains. It soaked through to the down comforter and I doused that liberally with Nature's Miracle but it seriously doesn't look like it's going to come out. I don't even know if sending it to the dry cleaner will do anything. And my white duvet cover now has yellowy splotches, which I also Nature's Miracle'd, but they're still mildly yellowy.

I am sooooooo mad. I know, she's just a bunny, she doesn't really know better, but she's loving litter trained, she's just doing this because she's still mad that Frith lives in the same house that she does. Ughhhhhhh.

/rant

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

While we're trading pee stories, my flatmate's rabbit peed on me AGAIN. Jumped on my lap and got this really distant look on her face. I know it's because I smell like my own male rabbit to her, but after the second time I can't help but take it somewhat personally. Oh well at least this time it was just on my leg instead of my neck and shoulder.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

angelicism posted:

It wasn't until tonight when I'm fluffing up my blanket with Frith that I realize Zen peed ALL OVER MY COMFORTER. There are like 3 huge pee stains. It soaked through to the down comforter and I doused that liberally with Nature's Miracle but it seriously doesn't look like it's going to come out. I don't even know if sending it to the dry cleaner will do anything. And my white duvet cover now has yellowy splotches, which I also Nature's Miracle'd, but they're still mildly yellowy.

Bitsy is okay with it now but Paterson loooooooooves to pee on my bed. To the point that he's not really allowed in my room. My mattress is completely stained from bunny pee. I used to work 16 hour shifts and we lived in a place that the rabbits didn't really like so they would pee in my bed almost every day. I would clean it as best as possible, take the comforter off the bed every day and had a billion sheets. The mattress still looks like it belongs to a dehydrated 2 year old.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
When Euler figured out how to jump up on our bed, she started to pee everytime she was up there. I read something about it being because, much like shoes, beds are somewhere that really smell like us, their owners, and so it's somewhere they really feel the need to mark. Annoying as heck, though. Lots of spots on the 'ol down comforter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

My rabbit's a perfect angel who never pees anywhere.

... although he does love to try and eat the sheets.