Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neka
Sep 11, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

Updated my home setup: got an LG 32LH40 for a monitor/bedroom TV on my desk, and moved my lamp. This is pretty average for desk clutter, minus the dusting rag, and dinner plate.

The 32" screen looks MUCH bigger in person, and because it's an IPS panel the color is good enough for my photo work, and the viewing angle is good enough that there's no problems viewing from about 45 degrees off center from my bed. DirecTV2PC is great, so I don't have to mess with another box and cables on my desk :D

Are those KRK monitors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

neka posted:

Are those KRK monitors?

$50 sony bookshelf speakers from circuit city. :smugdog:
With a 10" sub, and on a proper Kenwood receiver, it's more than adequate for the bedroom.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

UserNotFound posted:

The 32" screen looks MUCH bigger in person, and because it's an IPS panel the color is good enough for my photo work, and the viewing angle is good enough that there's no problems viewing from about 45 degrees off center from my bed.

Are you sure it's IPS? I thought Hitachi and Panasonic were the only ones selling that sort of panel in TVs.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

strayan posted:

Are you sure it's IPS? I thought Hitachi and Panasonic were the only ones selling that sort of panel in TVs.

I mean, you could have easily looked this up or something: https://www.lge.com/us/products/documents/lg_he_lcd_ss_32lh40.pdf

The entire line of LG's 2009 LCD's over 32" are 120hz+ and s-IPS, I believe.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Xergiez posted:

Wish I could figure out how to add better lighting in my room.

Where did you find that Sapporo paper lantern?

jp82729
Sep 5, 2003

Here's my Galant setup. Much better than the crappy glass-top desk I used to have:

Xergiez
Jan 13, 2002
Xergiez

Straithate posted:

Where did you find that Sapporo paper lantern?

Got it at work. It was a promotional item from them.

RayneFire
Mar 23, 2009

The cutest thing on Earth.

jp82729 posted:

Here's my Galant setup. Much better than the crappy glass-top desk I used to have:

Where did you get that beautiful thing? I must have it!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

RayneFire posted:

Where did you get that beautiful thing? I must have it!
Ikea Galant

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

jp82729 posted:

What about that little hutch? I'm looking for something like that for my setup, and didn't see it on Ikea's site. I've got that same lamp, and a similar colored corner desk (you can see it on the previous page)

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

headcase posted:

What about that little hutch? I'm looking for something like that for my setup, and didn't see it on Ikea's site. I've got that same lamp, and a similar colored corner desk (you can see it on the previous page)

I think its an accessory for a different table though it fits perfectly on the Galant, I have one too. I'll see if I can find it on the Ikea site.

edit: Oh I remember how they do those. I'm not sure if you can get this online, but if you go to an Ikea you just buy one of the table extensions without the frame support (mine for instance is this but without the frame supports one here) and then they have these little legs you buy that just raise it up 6" or whatever it is. The one in the picture above appears to be this one here. If you have to order online I'm sure if you call the order in you can probably get a non-framed version to use as a hutch (as well as the little legs you need) and they come in all the colors the Galant Desks come in. And I don't know about the other guy, but, on mine the little legs aren't actually attached to any specific points, they are just free standing under the extension piece so you can position the legs however you want (as long as its stable :v:).

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 10, 2010

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Sir Nigel posted:

I think its an accessory for a different table though it fits perfectly on the Galant, I have one too. I'll see if I can find it on the Ikea site.

edit: Oh I remember how they do those. I'm not sure if you can get this online, but if you go to an Ikea you just buy one of the table extensions without the frame support (mine for instance is this but without the frame supports one here) and then they have these little legs you buy that just raise it up 6" or whatever it is. The one in the picture above appears to be this one here. If you have to order online I'm sure if you call the order in you can probably get a non-framed version to use as a hutch (as well as the little legs you need) and they come in all the colors the Galant Desks come in. And I don't know about the other guy, but, on mine the little legs aren't actually attached to any specific points, they are just free standing under the extension piece so you can position the legs however you want (as long as its stable :v:).

SWEET

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20054563

plus http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79848118

In black-brown might just do the trick The actual hutch made for that desk costs some awful amount like $350:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

That's what we both got, those little legs and an extension. Your color looks a lot like mine so you should be good to go with the Dark Brown color. The only thing about the actual hutch part you selected is it has the metal tube framing on it to extend the actual desk surface whereas the ones you can buy in the store for hutch purposes don't have this metal framing attached. I'm not sure how much of a pain it will be to remove the framing section or if it will even be a problem for what you want it for, just wanted to make sure you understood the website.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

That wide lens panorama make my desk look almost made for a midget, weird. Anyway, I hate the desk, probably going to make one myself next summer. But that's where I'm typing this post and viewing this thread from.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

edit: Attachment didn't work. :(

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

edit: Attachment didn't work. :(

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

strwrsxprt posted:

Finally got the cables cleaned up. MacBook got an upgrade, and the PS2 was voted off of the island.

No longer living like poo poo. :c00l:

It's been a while. Time for an update, this time from a new angle!

The monitor got swapped (Dell U2410), router got swapped (AirPort Extreme), Xbox 360 got swapped (Elite) and got banished along with the PS3 to the bookshelf. PC probably got updated a few times too, but it's still the same case. Oh and there's a cute little Mac Mini on the desk now too. :3:

It's awesome having every device hooked up to a single display with room still to spare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Did some painting today, though I haven't figured out how to hide the cables yet.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
What's that cube lamp thing? I could use something like that.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Apps posted:

What's that cube lamp thing? I could use something like that.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00029225

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

Did some painting today, though I haven't figured out how to hide the cables yet.

While my first reactions is "wow, that is a lot of displays" my second reaction is it looks great other than the cabling. Also while the print fits it feels really generic and a bit too ikea, but thats the art hound in me. I really like the spacing on all the displays from a visual standpoint.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Juriko posted:

While my first reactions is "wow, that is a lot of displays" my second reaction is it looks great other than the cabling. Also while the print fits it feels really generic and a bit too ikea, but thats the art hound in me. I really like the spacing on all the displays from a visual standpoint.

The displays make sense though. The two of the same size are for my desktop. To the right is my personal laptop that I do all my music/browsing/chatting/email poo poo. Then my work laptop hooked up to a second monitor. The TV on the wall does cable and is also hooked up to a media PC on the floor. Yes I need to do some better cabling. I also would replace my IKEA picture... but one thing at a time... Art is pricey.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

benisntfunny posted:

It might be just all the blue light coming off the screens, but this room looks like it's from the future to me. v:shobon:v

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I like the look of the lamps, but they look like a really cool light. Are they LED? Most of the lighting in my room is warmer.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

strwrsxprt posted:

I like the look of the lamps, but they look like a really cool light. Are they LED? Most of the lighting in my room is warmer.

They use a little CFL that IKEA also sells. Personally I think that the above picture of it isn't accurate, it's much warmer and less harsh in real life.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

The displays make sense though. The two of the same size are for my desktop. To the right is my personal laptop that I do all my music/browsing/chatting/email poo poo. Then my work laptop hooked up to a second monitor. The TV on the wall does cable and is also hooked up to a media PC on the floor. Yes I need to do some better cabling. I also would replace my IKEA picture... but one thing at a time... Art is pricey.

No, I figured as much. Whenever I see two laptops like that I always assume work laptop or some such. I also find it funny in your gif how you disappear, objects magically move themselves, but then someone else is painting the wall. I also know art is expensive. I cheat by doing art trades or doing it myself.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Got my hands on some panographic software and decided to give it a go (it didn't go perfectly, but meh). It's a pretty meh photo, but I thought it was worth posting because it shows (most) of my Frederik and Jerker together, which I only just recently rearranged. Also, I recently installed some under-shelf LED lighting and that didn't seem to turn out very well photographically. I need to adjust both before I try next.

Click here for the full 812x1024 image.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 11, 2010

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Do you use that exercise ball as a chair?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

strwrsxprt posted:

The monitor got swapped (Dell U2410), router got swapped (AirPort Extreme), Xbox 360 got swapped (Elite) and got banished along with the PS3 to the bookshelf. PC probably got updated a few times too, but it's still the same case. Oh and there's a cute little Mac Mini on the desk now too. :3:

It's awesome having every device hooked up to a single display with room still to spare.

Hey non-top-piece-Jerker buddy! Don't see many of those. I loved this desk. I just moved into a house with a built-in office and sadly had to relegate it to the garage where it now holds leaf bags :(

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

strwrsxprt posted:

I always thought I was cool because you and I had the same monitor (HP L2335). My HP and I are going to go cry now.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Do you use that exercise ball as a chair?

Yeah, it's one of these. It's basically a ball with a base to keep it stable and not require constant adjusting to stay on it. I've been having quite a bit of back pain previously, I'd say it's helped a fair bit. The only thing is that it's not height-adjustible (well, you get two heights), I need to get a keyboard tray or possibly a small height-adjustible table for a keyboard surface.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Yeah, it's one of these. It's basically a ball with a base to keep it stable and not require constant adjusting to stay on it. I've been having quite a bit of back pain previously, I'd say it's helped a fair bit. The only thing is that it's not height-adjustible (well, you get two heights), I need to get a keyboard tray or possibly a small height-adjustible table for a keyboard surface.

What CPU heatsinks are in those two computers?

jp82729
Sep 5, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

I used to have that exact desk about a year ago (sold it on craigslist), and never really liked it. Maybe it was just the paint on my walls because it looks really nice there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Strict 9 posted:

Hey non-top-piece-Jerker buddy! Don't see many of those. I loved this desk. I just moved into a house with a built-in office and sadly had to relegate it to the garage where it now holds leaf bags :(
My dad's small business has about 100 of them. If the company ever folds I'm gonna disassemble about a dozen of them and stash them in my garage. :)

Erwin posted:

I always thought I was cool because you and I had the same monitor (HP L2335). My HP and I are going to go cry now.
I haven't gotten rid of it. I'm just not sure what to do with it yet. I don't really have a use for it, even though it's still a great monitor. Maybe someone on SA-Mart will want it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sir Nigel posted:

Top one looks like a Scythe Ninja

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

jp82729 posted:

I used to have that exact desk about a year ago (sold it on craigslist), and never really liked it. Maybe it was just the paint on my walls because it looks really nice there.

Man I've had the desk for years. I've always loved it because it's huge. I only use the extension pieces and not the actual "desk" unit. I didn't like that the desk was smaller and didn't care for the slide out keyboard drawer.

The only downside of the desk is that glass gets VERY cold in the winter. But yeah, paint helps things.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

Sir Nigel posted:

They're actually both Scythe Ninja 2s, the one on top is the Rev A and the one below is Rev B. They've been great to me, although I'm just running stock speeds on some lower-end Core 2 stuff.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

My desk:

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

Dominoes posted:

My awesome speaker boxes

Those are indeed very nice. Did you make them yourself? They look like they could be either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Those are indeed very nice. Did you make them yourself? They look like they could be either.
Thanks. I did make the front left/right - it was a fun learning learning experience. I ran into some issues, hence the wood putty. Dayton 5" drivers. They're birch plywood with a mahogany stain and polyurethane.