Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

There's these two schmoes called John Cena and Randy Orton that use their own names, but they probably don't have any big plans for those guys anyway. :v:
Orton doesn't count because his last name means something to wrestling fans. But, knowing what they do about Cena's rise from a jobber to Angle and Lesnar to the only thing propping up the company's merch sales, do you think they would've change his name to something trademarkable?

I'm surprised they let anybody keep their real name, after how Lesnar and Angle have jumped ship. It seems like the only way they keep it is if they were brought in as a somebody from another discipline (like Henry and Angle being Olympians, and Lesnar's collegiate success)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Also Ted DiBiase, Mark Henry, the Hardys, Gail Kim, Eve Torres, Charlie Haas, Michelle McCool (yes that is her honest to God name), and Gregory Helms.

The list gets a lot longer if you count people like Melina or Finlay who just use their first/last names.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I was wikitrawling the other day and found out Shad Gaspard is the wrestler's real, full name. That really surprised me, since I assumed it was WWE SOP to give a name that can be trademarked (and more importantly, that the wrestler can't take with them when they leave - qv "Chris Chen" on TNA)

Are there any other nobodys/internally developed talents that WWE has allowed to use their real names for?

WWE's decision on names depends on which way the wind is blowing. Sometimes they want names they can own, sometimes they feel that they need to use real names so they seem real. Also, when the women are on the Diva Search they have a little bit of a name to market. I am also not counting commentators/ring announcers. The list I can think of, for guys post-WCW with the company right now:

Kofi Kingston - According to Wikipedia, his ring name before WWE.
Paul Burchill - Real name is Birchall
Gail Kim
Jillian
Maryse
Melina
Batista - Dave Bautista, nobody before WWE signed him
Charlie Haas
CM Punk - However, I wouldn't count him 100% since he did have some name value from the indy scene
Shad - Shad Gaspard
Beth Phoenix
Mickie Names - Real name, but used Alexis Laree on the indy scene and in TNA
John Cone - Referee

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Orton doesn't count because his last name means something to wrestling fans.

I don't think most fans actually knew who Bob Orton was until WWE made a thing out of it, though. It might be different for the Rhodes family, but even then we're talking about viewers who weren't even born the last time Dusty was on the scene.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Have there been many (any?) matches where the person who was supposed to win never kicked out?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Shitty_Wok posted:

Have there been many (any?) matches where the person who was supposed to win never kicked out?

Along these lines:

Has a result ever been changed in the ring? Like, say HHH blows his quad again and realizes it, would he change the result on the fly so he doesn't win the title and then have the vacate it the next night?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Mark Henry and Matt Hardy v Miz/Morrison from 08, Morrison got a stinger from a top rope side effect and forgot to kick out in time, resulting in the ref getting fired.

DannoMack posted:

Along these lines:

Has a result ever been changed in the ring? Like, say HHH blows his quad again and realizes it, would he change the result on the fly so he doesn't win the title and then have the vacate it the next night?

Mankind was originally supposed to win the belt at IYH: Mind Games against Shawn Michaels in 96, but for whatever reason, the finish was changed to become a DQ mid match. This is pretty notable since you see Vince talk to Shawn at ringside and you get to see him throw a little prima donna fit.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

DannoMack posted:

Along these lines:

Or, another example - was Austin meant to beat Owen the night his neck got broke?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

dusty udder smoker posted:

Mark Henry and Matt Hardy v Miz/Morrison from 08, Morrison got a stinger from a top rope side effect and forgot to kick out in time, resulting in the ref getting fired.

That... doesn't seem right.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Shitty_Wok posted:

Or, another example - was Austin meant to beat Owen the night his neck got broke?

Since the stipulation was that Austin would have to kiss Owen's rear end if he lost, yes.

That's why Owen had to buy time for Austin to pin him instead of just pinning Austin

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Supposedly Austin was going to win the Fatal Fourway at the February In Your House after Shawn lost his smile. The story goes that Austin got injured midmatch and they improvised a Bret victory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shitty_Wok posted:

That... doesn't seem right.

If I remember correctly it was at the same time they were doing their bit where they didn't tell refs the endings to matches so they wouldn't be able to unconsciously telegraph kick-outs/endings coming and the wrestlers had to be careful about actually being DQed. I thought it was actually a really neat idea, but whenever anything went wrong the referee seemed to be the one unfairly getting blamed.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

dusty udder smoker posted:

Mankind was originally supposed to win the belt at IYH: Mind Games against Shawn Michaels in 96, but for whatever reason, the finish was changed to become a DQ mid match. This is pretty notable since you see Vince talk to Shawn at ringside and you get to see him throw a little prima donna fit.

Well now I HAVE to find this match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DannoMack posted:

I've never seen it, but I think Foley considers (or considered) it his favorite match of all time even though there really wasn't anything "special" about it, because he just thought that everything clicked perfectly. Now finding out that HBK pitched a fit during it cracks me up.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

DannoMack posted:

It was a good match. I dont remember Shawn throwing a fit, but was during that time that ITH was new and the WWF didn't know how to build matches monthly, so it was largely forgotten.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

DannoMack posted:

It's on Michaels's From the Vault DVD & Foley's Greatest Hits & Misses DVD, for what that's worth. This is also the first time I've heard that Foley was supposed to win the title that night.

Also, regarding the ref getting fired match, wasn't Miz supposed to run in to make the save and forget his cue?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Another one is from Souled Out 2000 where Billy Kidman had to face 3 wrestlers in 3 different match types. His first challenge was against Dean Malenko in a "Catch as Catch Can" match, which is an extremely old school match type that is all about different types of moves and holds that Dean would have excelled at. There were two problems. The first was that Dean is a very methodical wrestler and, as a heel, stalling and cowardice are part of his repertoire. The second was that either no one told Dean the specific rules or he forgot. Either way, 2 minutes in, Dean slides out of the ring to stall. However, under catch rules, leaving the ring is like giving up, so the match was over.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Foley has said that his match with Orton at Backlash '04 has replaced the Michaels match as his favorite. I dont understand the huge deal about it. Its a very good match for sure, but I never counted it among Mick's best.

The match itself is on the Shawn Michaels From the Vault DVD and I think it is on Mick's Hard KNocks Cheap Pops DVD also.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Shitty_Wok posted:

I remember on the Bret Hart DVD, he got hurt in a match and was supposed to win it, but instead he put his leg on the bottom rope for a kick out, then lost by count out instead because of his injury. "He didn't want to lose to such a bad wrestler" was his reasoning for not letting him get the pinfall victory.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Foley has said that his match with Orton at Backlash '04 has replaced the Michaels match as his favorite. I dont understand the huge deal about it. Its a very good match for sure, but I never counted it among Mick's best.

Mick only has a handful of good matches.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Alright, I'm watching the ECW Blood Sport DVD, and there's really no way for me to ask this without sounding insulting, but...did Sandman ever have formal training on how to be a wrestler? He was more in shape for the ECW revival in 2006 than he was back in 1996-97, and I don't remember any of his matches not being a clusterfuck of weapon spots (this worked in ECW back then; I'm just curious).

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Ktik posted:

I remember on the Bret Hart DVD, he got hurt in a match and was supposed to win it, but instead he put his leg on the bottom rope for a kick out, then lost by count out instead because of his injury. "He didn't want to lose to such a bad wrestler" was his reasoning for not letting him get the pinfall victory.

Bret did a spot where he gets knocked off the apron onto the guard rail, and crushed his sternum or something. Dino Bravo tried to drag him back in to pin him, but Bret kept rolling out of the ring until he got counted out

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember correctly it was at the same time they were doing their bit where they didn't tell refs the endings to matches so they wouldn't be able to unconsciously telegraph kick-outs/endings coming and the wrestlers had to be careful about actually being DQed. I thought it was actually a really neat idea, but whenever anything went wrong the referee seemed to be the one unfairly getting blamed.
whoa, did this really happen? even in the indy shows I've worked, the referees need to know the finishes and match times so the show can be paced properly. I assume this would be even more strict on televised WWE shows.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the HBK-Foley match (my favorite match of all times, for the record), there's a bit in there where it looks like Mick legit slaps Michaels in the face, leading to a very real looking roll-around-and-hit-each-other sequence. Was this planned? It's such an odd spot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

whoa, did this really happen? even in the indy shows I've worked, the referees need to know the finishes and match times so the show can be paced properly. I assume this would be even more strict on televised WWE shows.

WWE tried it for about 3 months last year or so, it didn't work well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

rotinaj posted:

WWE tried it for about 3 months last year or so, it didn't work well.
wow, interesting. was it only for taped shows at least?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I've never seen it, but I think Foley considers (or considered) it his favorite match of all time even though there really wasn't anything "special" about it, because he just thought that everything clicked perfectly. Now finding out that HBK pitched a fit during it cracks me up.

If I recall correctly, Shawn also got into a visible argument in the ring with Earl Hebner a couple months before during his match with Vader at Summerslam. I've heard conflicting stories on the Mind Games match, either that Vince switched the ending up on them, or that he just told them to go home because the match was running long. The match itself is excellent--Shawn and Foley's styles worked really well together (no surprise I guess since Shawn is arguably the best of all time at complementing the routine of whoever he faces). It's really only hampered by the DQ ending.

TL posted:

Speaking of the HBK-Foley match (my favorite match of all times, for the record), there's a bit in there where it looks like Mick legit slaps Michaels in the face, leading to a very real looking roll-around-and-hit-each-other sequence. Was this planned? It's such an odd spot.

I'm going by second hand information I read a few years ago (and may be misremembering) but I think that stuff was all a worked shoot Shawn and Foley decided to put on for some reason. It's very obvious at one point where Shawn is whipped into the corner and appears to be expecting a certain spot, and Foley doesn't cooperate, so Shawn looks visibly pissed off and delivers some stiff punches and kicks. Not sure why they wanted to work people like that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CVagts posted:

There's really no way for me to ask this without sounding insulting, but...did Sandman ever have formal training on how to be a wrestler? He was more in shape for the ECW revival in 2006 than he was back in 1996-97, and I don't remember any of his matches not being a clusterfuck of weapon spots (this worked in ECW back then; I'm just curious).
Also want to know the answer to this

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Also want to know the answer to this

Trained by Larry Winters[1]
Tri-State Wrestling Academy[1]
Mark Tendler[1]
J.T. Smith[1]

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe there was an IWGP title change that wasn't supposed to happen because the current champ was knocked out cold in like 4 minutes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mick only has a handful of good matches.

Untrue. Mick is one of the few garbage wrestlers whose matches actually made sense, and he managed to drag something watchable out of Van Hammer of all people.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Is it true that Vince told Carlito to "spic it up" a little bit more?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AlbertFlasher posted:

Yes, Vince is a horrible racist.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yes, Vince is a horrible racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXBnEabG43s

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Speaking of racism I was watching Wrestlemania 4 last night due to boredom and during the Demolition/Strike Force tag team championship match Ventura was really letting Tito Santana have it. "I'll bet that Chico Santana wishes he was back in Tijuana selling tacos again, Gorilla!" This was in 1987, amazing the poo poo they got away with and there's probably worse than this example. Heeling it up is one thing but come on.

Chop Licker
Apr 25, 2005

by mons al-madeen

AlbertFlasher posted:

How should I know?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shawn stiffed Vader at some point during his match with him because he was supposed to roll out of the way of an elbow drop but didn't. So Shawn landed on his feet and just kicked him in the head.

I know Foley liked that spot or the look of that spot a lot so he worked it into his match with Shawn. Most of what you're talking about in that match was probably "worked shoot" style.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bearnt! posted:

Speaking of racism I was watching Wrestlemania 4 last night due to boredom and during the Demolition/Strike Force tag team championship match Ventura was really letting Tito Santana have it. "I'll bet that Chico Santana wishes he was back in Tijuana selling tacos again, Gorilla!" This was in 1987, amazing the poo poo they got away with and there's probably worse than this example. Heeling it up is one thing but come on.

I vaguely recall an interview with Santana where he noted that Ventura always gave it to him with both barrels but Santana considered it just part of the show and that it made the people watching at home like him more to show that lousy Ventura what for :argh:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

oldpainless posted:

Favorite and good are not necessarily the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
What was the original plan for Lesnar/Goldberg before everything went to poo poo? I could probably leave my question at that but I won't. They had their quick stare down tease at Survivor Series, followed by Lesnar F5'ing Goldberg during the Rumble causing him to be eliminated. Lesnar then drops the title to Eddie at No Way Out when Goldberg takes Stone Cold's advice and interferes. Was Lesnar confirmed as leaving at this point hence the title drop? After this it gets hazy for me. Did they realize a deal wasn't going to be worked out with Goldberg to renew his contact and then to make things worse Brock decided to leave on top of that? So they kind of just said gently caress it and got Stone Cold involved to send them off in front of a hot crowd who knew they were both leaving the company?