Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii
hey folks, just wrapping up day 2 of no smokes!

i'm doing the snus method, i stocked up a few weeks back and it's working awesome.
the toughest thing has been the idle time at home, as a lot of you have mentioned, and knowing that it's not any need for nicotine but just the muscle memory of wanting to inhale that makes me want a smoke is proving to be a powerful deterrent.

my observations thus far:
frame of mind - nothing makes quitting more difficult than sitting there dreading that you're doing it, "oh god this is gonna suck, this is gonna be so loving hard, etc..." wrong!

this is probably one of the best choices you've made for your life, think about how awesome it is that you're free, that you don't need to nip out into the rain/cold and get all stinky and smell like poo poo. if you focus on all of the reasons this is good, you'll just be looking forward

think about how it comes across to the opposite sex, you're feeling good about what you're doing (confidence booster) and you smell great and have more energy (for giving them an epic rogering!). my girlfriend's been really thrilled at not having to kiss smoky mouth, and i don't have to rush off and brush my teeth or chew a mint or whatever because i'm self-conscious.

that's really it; smoking is a big fat high-maintenance ball and chain that you have to deal with several times a day, is slowly killing you, and you're paying out the rear end for it. gently caress that, brothers! pick out something nice you're gonna spend your cigarette money on!

i personally will be looking for a used one of these:

PoopSok fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Be careful, I tried using snus once instead of smoking and just got more addicted to the snus. Some of it seems to have a lot more nicotine in it.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
One day I was just too bored to go out and buy a pack so I'm like gently caress that let's see how long I can string this out and that was 1 year ago.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

thylacine posted:

Be careful, I tried using snus once instead of smoking and just got more addicted to the snus. Some of it seems to have a lot more nicotine in it.

I did some reading up on that, and it appears that it's hard to get a really straight answer.
There's a misconception concerning the amount of nicotine in cigarettes, and there seems to be similar discrepancy with snus; the amount of nicotine contained in the product, and the actual amount absorbed.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Quitting-Smoking-2258/Amount-Nicotine-Cigarettes.htm
This article states that cigs contain around 10mg of nicotine, whereas you only absorb between 1mg & 2mg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/30/AR2006083001418.html
this article, from 2006 states that between 1998 to 2004 the average amount of nicotine in smokes by brand rose, some up to 30%.
Newports are up to 3.2 mg :whatup:

http://www.snuson.com/viewtopic.php?t=1380&sid=91ad875fdfb19f9f0fd3f2573a5d5ebb
Here's a conversation from a snus board, and it sounds like there's a similar account between nicotine present vs. nicotine absorbed.

Besides, my fave at the moment is the Thunder Frosted Mini which is supposed to have 8mg, and i like to think that I'd be going loving bananas off of just one of those if I was actually getting all that nicotine.

Anyways, this is all really moot when it comes down to it: Snus > Smoking by a huge margin, be it health, hygiene, money, whatever. One of those cans costs me around $3.50 and lasts me 3 days.

PoopSok fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 9, 2010

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Long-term quitters, I have a question:

I can usually go a few weeks without smoking, but what always causes me to screw up is the feeling towards the end of the third week where I think "well, that wasn't so bad. But I don't really feel any different. So maybe smoking didn't affect me as badly as I thought it did."

Which then of course leads to me smoking a cigarette. Is this just a temporary phase? Do the benefits of higher energy/healthy feelings just take a while to kick in?

LBM
Jul 25, 2006

on day 5 of no cigarettes, day 12 of champix/chantix whatever your country calls it.

only got nausea once, briefly but intensely for 2 minutes when i didn't eat enough before taking the tablet. dreams have been crazy. had knee surgery the day after i stopped the cigarettes, thought that was it, the tablets were a waste of money, i'll be bored out of my mind and start smoking again but it hasn't really entered my head.

it is so nice to sit next to someone who is having a cigarette and for once not think 'man that's a good idea'... and to be able to have coffee with my mum INSIDE a building. i haven't done that in 3 years, ridiculous.

unsupportive friends suck, but they're all smokers so what did i expect really!

BubbleBobble
Jan 5, 2010
it's my 5th day without weeeedies yay!

I imagine cigarettes are a little bit tougher, though

but they're both kinda difficult I bet

and I may or may not start back sometime after a month is over (I pledged not to do it for a month in that other thread)

PoconoHermit
Oct 25, 2005

Fire in the hole, Internet!
After several years of dipping, I'm now at the end of 10 cold-turkey days. It isn't as hard as I expected it to be, and the hardest times are at work, where everyone I know dips. Even with that in mind, I'm glad I stopped. I've saved about 40 bucks, and I'm finding out every day that you really do look like a dumb hick with a lipper full of chaw.

For what it's worth, I also just installed a kegerator in my garage. There's also :420:, which helps me skirt the social rituals of the smoker's circle.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

After about 4 years of smoking a pack a day, I've been free over a month now!

For anyone that's having trouble quitting (because I know I did) how I quit was simply I was sick for two weeks. Honestly, this in the past probably wouldn't have stopped me, but I have more motivation to stay off cigarettes: a child on the way.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
14 months later, quitting cigarettes continues to be one of the best decisions I ever made. Stick with it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

7 weeks tomorrow.

Still get cravings, but they pass. I had one that lasted for what felt like an hour this morning, but I imagine it was more like 10 minutes.

I've gained 7 pounds. It's what I get for quitting before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Beezle Bug
Jun 5, 2009

I love painting trees.
So I recently got sick, and now despite being recovered every time I try to smoke I feel like throwing up. If I ignore it and keep going, I will throw up. It seems like my body is actually forcing me to quit, because I don't know what the gently caress.

I am like constantly pissed off because I can't smoke and really badly want to, and I'm not sure if it's the nicotine or the smoke or what making me so ill, so I don't really wanna try the patch or whatever. Anyone know anything else that will make me crave less or be less angry?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

war on machines posted:

So I recently got sick, and now despite being recovered every time I try to smoke I feel like throwing up. If I ignore it and keep going, I will throw up. It seems like my body is actually forcing me to quit, because I don't know what the gently caress.

I am like constantly pissed off because I can't smoke and really badly want to, and I'm not sure if it's the nicotine or the smoke or what making me so ill, so I don't really wanna try the patch or whatever. Anyone know anything else that will make me crave less or be less angry?

Drink water. Sleep a lot. Wait about three days and it will begin to recede.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
My last cigarette was just before midnight on New Year's Eve and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I get cravings every once in a while, but nothing I can't overcome.

Chantix dreams continue, but other than that I'm doing great!

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
I don't smoke so I don't need to quit smoking. This thread is inaccurate.

JohnJoelGlanton
Mar 27, 2009
Last cigarette about three weeks ago. The nice thing is that everyone else I work with has quit at some point in the last month so it's easy not having 5 or 6 people all asking each other to go smoke.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Azzmo posted:

I don't smoke so I don't need to quit smoking. This thread is inaccurate.

This is an incredibly useful reply. Instead of posting crap, find a hobby. Thanks :)

I'm planning to move to E-Cigarettes, but my drat charger seems to be failing. I have to wait til I fix/replace it, but my experience with the E-Cigs have been VERY good, they're just terribly unreliable.

Will check back!

Masturdate
Nov 13, 2009
2 months without a single cig, now for some reason on my way to work, I bought a pack. gently caress, I've smoked like four cigarettes in an hour now AND IT TASTES SO GOOD!

Also, it gives a nice buzz after the break again. Me and my lack of self will!

Masturdate fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 12, 2010

Ricky_Fitness
Oct 25, 2004

7'4", 520LB. The Aquabats have a Posse
To those of you actually quitting I commend you. If you are friends with other smokers I would implore you to not be that guy or girl that offers 25 cents for a smoke just because your original resolution to "quit cigarettes" didn't last over a week and was altered to "quit buying my own cigarettes". I mean yeah you're still buying them, but really you have lied to yourself and should just go get your own at this point. Went on a trip with a few friends and I ran out fast when people who I thought resolved to quit were pulling this every hour or so.

BubbleBobble
Jan 5, 2010
I need to quit (the illegal stuff)

I ran out on the 5th or so this month (I explained this in some other thread), and I have no intention of buying any more anytime soon

how can I convince myself to give it up forever? :(

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

BubbleBobble posted:

I need to quit (the illegal stuff)

I ran out on the 5th or so this month (I explained this in some other thread), and I have no intention of buying any more anytime soon

how can I convince myself to give it up forever? :(
Why?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
gently caress it I quit. Smoking is gay and it's making me sick and fat. Cold turkey or bust. I've tried the patch, gum, and Zyban and they all just prolong the addiction. Except Zyban, that nearly gave me a heart attack. I find it always works out best when I quit cold turkey.

Last two times where I'd gone more than a day I went for five months and two months. Time to change my attitude. I noticed my gums are receding way more than is healthy for a 23 year old sooooo.... Yeah. :byewhore: > smoking

BubbleBobble
Jan 5, 2010
why do I need to quit? I guess cause it's bad for my physical (and probably my mental) health

but mostly because I don't want to get lung cancer

and it makes me lazy

and it's kinda expensive

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I'm kind of in a slightly different situation than most of you. I don't smoke cigarettes. I smoke hookah.

I think I realized I was addicted about two years ago because I was spending a lot of time indoors during the summer (it get's around high 90's low 100's in Richmond Va at times ugh) just smoking the hookah, watching movies, waiting for it to cool down so I could go ride my bike. Then it just evolved into something I did all the time. Like, any time I was at my computer.

I gave my hookah and all the stuff that went along with it away about 2 days ago, and I'm literally ripping my hair out and coming close to putting holes through the walls with my fists. I'm glad I don't have to kick the habit of ciggs because that would be pretty much impossible for me, but god drat if it isn't taking all the will power in the world to not buy another pipe... :(

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I bought an e-cigarette last week and was planning to ween myself slowly off the cigs. I got myself down to about 6 or 7 a day and then I had to go pick up my health check for my job.

They noticed an abnormality in my chest x-ray.

I nearly shat myself - all I was thinking was, IT'S TOO LATE! IT'S TOO LATE! WHY DIDN'T I STOP WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE?!

It turned out to be nothing serious but there was a period of about 10 minutes where I was sure they were going to tell me I had cancer.

Threw my cigs away 5 minutes after walking out of the hospital. I've not had a single desire to smoke normal cigs again, and if i get a craving I just toke the e-cig.

My advice - get yourself scared. It's better to do it now than to have to really go through those emotions later.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to switch to e-cigs as a way to quit I've got one I'm not using anymore that I'd be willing to sell for relatively cheap. I paid about $100 for the initial setup and would sell it for $50. It's two e-cigs (Yeti) in black with blue LED, a full bottle of 6mg Camel flavor, and about eight carts, half of which are Marlboro high nicotine and half of which are empty for use with the liquid. PM me if you're interested or find my thread in SA Mart.

SuperJens
May 1, 2003

No need for text here please thanks you very much come again
I quit on the 2nd, and now 10 days later I'm freaking the gently caress out for a smoke, holy poo poo I want one so badly I can't focus.

I will not give in.

I want to put my fist through the wall though, gently caress you nicotine I wish we'd never met.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather though. I do a lot of canoeing and know my daily limit (24 km flatwater) and my maximum burst speed (9.8 km/h) and my daily average speed (5 km/h), stats from the last two summers, so it should be interesting to see if anything improves this year.

At the least I won't be stopping every 30 minutes for a lovely smoke break.

Haha I guess I should update my avatar.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
12 days, saved $90 so far.

Started with the patch, but I'm apparently allergic to something in the adhesive, as it gave me a disgusting circle of blisters. I switched to Nicorette and am feeling good.

croakey
Mar 23, 2006

Ninja Gun - Restless Rubes
I've been free for 19 days! I really think I've done it!

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

croakey posted:

I've been free for 19 days! I really think I've done it!

:hfive:
16 myself and I'm feeling optimistic, too.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Twenty days today, still no problems. :)

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
5 weeks and 4 days smoke free for me, with no desire to go back. The first 4 days were very loving hard, but it was mostly a matter of not driving to the gas station to get a pack. I don't have any cravings while driving or being at the bar anymore. Now I just wish those pesky smokers would go away! :) Real talk though cigarettes smell like poo poo, I can't believe I smelled like that for 8 years of my life and didn't notice. I'm actually pretty excited about Michigan's smoking ban coming into effect in a few months, because I can't stand the smell anymore.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
21 days under my belt here. Still haven't cheated once. My husband is still smoking and has begun smoking in my presence again. It makes it difficult, but mainly it's just disgusting. And rude. And unthoughtful. I wouldn't smoke around him if the situation were reversed. Anyway, I'm so glad i finally kicked that nasty habit. It is so nice to shake my head and have my hair leave little clouds of perfumed shampoo scent instead of ashtray scent.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
My last cig was two weeks ago (Jan 5th), and I started the patch (21mg) the day after. It really helped the physical withdrawal, and I was able to overcome the worst of the mental withdrawal during that time. I ran out of patches two days ago, and instead of getting the lower dose, I decided to just stop using them altogether. Today, I can't breathe out of my nose, I get chills, and I'm irritable as hell. The good part is, I have no desire to smoke. The nicotine withdrawal is loving annoying, though.

croakey
Mar 23, 2006

Ninja Gun - Restless Rubes
This was the first New Years resolution I ever made.

I'm glad to see that I actually resolved.

:unsmith:

Toaster
Aug 13, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text) (PISS)
3 weeks tomorrow. I stopped taking Chantix. I don't have any urge to smoke. When others smoke around me all I can smell is gross cigarette smell that my (non-smoking) friends used to tell me I smelled like.

Kwan_Kung
Sep 28, 2005

croakey posted:

This was the first New Years resolution I ever made.

I'm glad to see that I actually resolved.

:unsmith:

Same here! day 23 so far and no cigs, I actually feel...great! which is unusual, begining to wonder why I smoked in the first place, effectively paying a stupid amount of money to feel like poo poo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I stopped smoking on Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:10:00 GMT.
It has been 8 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 38 seconds since I quit.
I have saved $ 250.35 by choosing not to smoke 1251 cigarettes.
More importantly, I saved 1 weeks, 2 days 13 hours 29 minutes of my life!

It's pretty easy now.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

No Butt Stuff posted:

I stopped smoking on Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:10:00 GMT.
It has been 8 weeks, 6 days, 14 hours, 7 minutes and 38 seconds since I quit.
I have saved $ 250.35 by choosing not to smoke 1251 cigarettes.
More importantly, I saved 1 weeks, 2 days 13 hours 29 minutes of my life!

It's pretty easy now.

Also you're slowly but surely reversing the damage done to your body by staying away from cigarette smoke! Hooray! Nice work. Also you probably don't smell like a smelly smokerson any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, but boy howdy can I smell it on other people.

It's getting harder not to be "that guy" making fun of people who still smoke.

• Locked thread