Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Grimster posted:

Not craigslist, but ebay, but WHOO BOY get ready for the GOLD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Rigid-40-Replica_W0QQitemZ190362566985QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2c527e4149

I've seen so many jokes about someone doing this but no one ever ACTUALLY doing this, until now.

I'm sure there's lots of funny here but this line just caught my eye and held it, and held it, and held it: Exoskelton done with rigid 40 PVC

That's right folks, RIGID PVC used in the "Exoskeleton".

It kinda irks me that stuff like this is street legal, but foreign vehicles under 25 years old aren't. Oh well :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It kinda irks me that stuff like this is street legal, but foreign vehicles under 25 years old aren't. Oh well :patriot:

It's a trade barrier, not a safety thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Senf posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1539227814.html

Depending on the pictures he sends me tomorrow morning I may go and check it out. $600 seems pretty loving sweet for a little project car that I can still use to get from my place to campus and back and then when it's all fixed up have a blast driving.
I think he made a thread in AI about selling it few weeks ago. That car needed a fuckton of work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

It's a trade barrier, not a safety thing.

I know it is, but the reason they give being differing safety standards irks me, especially with motorcycles.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
The safety standards thing is bullshit they spin so they don't have to stand in front of the camera and say: "This is protectionism for a major contributor". Same deal with importing drugs from Canada.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Real gold - a FREE 1973 Opel Manta!

Hope you live close to Reno, because the bitch doesn't run.

Behold! The wonders of Nevada!

Click here for the full 1140x565 image.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtooQWsAzA

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This guy has been trying to sell this for some time now. It used to be he was asking $2,500 for it. It's been like six months now and he's down to $500. Once it hits $250 it might be worth it for the motor, trans and transfer case. Everything else is an abortion.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1530330980.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Isn't a roll cage supposed to have triangular elements to it?

edit: Folds up for convenient transport. This guy should get together with the PVC pipe fiero guy.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

edit: Folds up for convenient transport. This guy should get together with the PVC pipe fiero guy.

You know, it never struck me before that if you see some ricer with a "rollcage", it might just be PVC. The more you know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pilsner posted:

You know, it never struck me before that if you see some ricer with a "rollcage", it might just be PVC. The more you know.

It's always PVC.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nitrox posted:

I think he made a thread in AI about selling it few weeks ago. That car needed a fuckton of work.

Well gently caress. Thanks for the heads up man. I never heard back from the guy today anyway so whatever. I didn't need it in the first, just thought it might be cool to toy with (but not if it's THAT bad).

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1541024868.html

THE ULTIMATE DRIFT MACHINE A.K.A. THE DRIFT BRICK! TURBOCHARGED IMPORT posted:

Here is your chance to own the drift brick itself! This sweet piece of machinery started its life back in 1990 and has been running strong ever since! This Volvo station wagon is the ideal drift car because not only does it have a high horsepower engine under the hood, but it is one of the safest cars of its time! Safety is first in this dangerous sport that many may partake in on the streets, so what better way to do it then in a Volvo??!? Now everyone knows that in order to really get your car sideways you must have some type of power under the hood, and of course this car has it! It has a very economical straight four cylinder engine for getting around town, picking up the kids, getting groceries, etc… but when that grocery store is closed, that parking lot may very well turn into a playground for the drift brick! This is the time when the turbocharger can be fully utilized and max boost can be reached! This baby kicks up to an astounding 15lbs of boost in no time!! When you finally decide that the tires have seen enough abuse and you let off of the throttle, your ears will be tickled by the loud PPPSSSHHHH the aftermarket air flow diversion valve delivers from under the hood! All this horsepower is transferred through its stage 1 clutch, into the 5-speed transmission, and then finally to the asphalt beneath the tires! Don’t let this little wagon fool you, it will light the tires up in smoke in a flash! The car originally came equipped with a 4-speed automatic transmission, but since this project was geared towards pure sideways performance, I opted for the much more controllable fully manual 5-speed transmission. Now when you are hitting these corners at high speeds, it is very important that you maintain full control. In order to achieve this, I have installed a high-performance racing seat that is sure to keep you in place during the most extreme conditions! This is a fully recline-able seat that can support a racing harness if the buyer chose to install one later on. The factory suspension on these cars is great for hauling the family around, but this is no family car anymore! This is a high performance vehicle! The springs have been modified in order to give the driver full control over the car even when its sliding completely sideways! A lot of time was taken to lower the car the way it is where the wheels tuck up in the wheel wells and still do not rub! You have a very tight turning radius capability which is definitely a plus for those tight course maneuvers! This Volvo unveils its exhaust through its factory emissions system in order to be able to go to the smog shop and not have any issues with exhaust modification. This was also done in order to keep this high horsepower engines noise to a minimal in an effort to avoid unwanted attention by higher authorities! The power plant under the hood has been enhanced for more power by adding an aftermarket cold air intake, everyone knows that the only way to unleash all of the horses the engine is capable of is by letting it breathe! So of course this was a no-brainer! Next was the addition of a boost controller that is used to demand more boost to be delivered from the turbocharger into the engine! This adds a ton of power! But don’t be afraid, this was done with pure reliability in mind! When hitting that high boost, tuning is very important! This is very important on any high-performance vehicle! This car is equipped with bigger fuel injectors that can allow for more fuel to be injected into the engine when max power is demanded! Of course on any high performance engine, octane is key! This Volvo is not only green in color, but it is “green friendly!!” This Volvo has gone through a complete conversion where it has been fully converted over to run E85 fuel!!! Not only does this thing get great MPG, the fuel it uses is only $2 and some change per gallon!! This car is a ultimate bargain! It is very roomy and can haul just about anything with the rear seats folded down, and can hold up to 7 people easily and safely with all the proper restraint mechanisms in place! This Volvo has a reputation to maintain, so I would prefer an experienced driver with some experience under their belt to be the one to take this baby home. This Volvo has undergone a custom paint job and has been painted satin Italian olive green.. I opted for something not too flashy as to draw unwanted attention, but not too plain to where it is not noticed while prowling through the streets, this seemed to be the perfect mix! This Volvo comes with a clean and clear title that is ready to be registered in the new owners name! This Volvo will need the turbo seals replaced soon, they have seen their better days! This car has gone 230K+ miles and by the feel of it, is ready for another 230K!! The car does currently emit smoke from the exhaust due to the turbo seals going bad and it is an issue that needs to be attended to soon. If you just drive it like normal, it isn’t extremely bad.. but if you try boosting it, it can cause a cloud to be left. A replacement turbocharger can be acquired very easily from the junk yard for about $70. Besides that you will just need a battery for this ride to be complete! I will supply a battery for test drives and testing the electronics, etc.. All the power windows, radio, power locks, power sun roof all work! Give me a call to know more or to take a look at it!
After sifting through that wall of words, I have gleaned that for $650 you can have a turbo brick that passes emissions, was converted to manual, needs a new turbo (or the current one rebuilt) and has a conrod and piston hanging from the bumper.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Nothing says "ultimate drift machine" more than a Volvo station wagon!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Left Ventricle posted:

After sifting through that wall of words, I have gleaned that for $650 you can have a turbo brick that passes emissions, was converted to manual, needs a new turbo (or the current one rebuilt) and has a conrod and piston hanging from the bumper.

You forgot "rattle-canned olive drab". I'd drive it.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Left Ventricle posted:

The best part is the video is just a clip from GT4. Mad tyte doriftu indeed.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

I can't seem to pull anything together for this one, so judge for yourselves.

Click here for the full 980x596 image.

engine leaks oil because i rebuilt with the carter. %90 stupid 5speed 6 inline

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
At least he admits he knows nothing about cars, but his dad also knows nothing about cars.

Click here for the full 1279x745 image.

atlas barfed fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 12, 2010

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I like the subs and alarm being thrown in with the RX8, you know, because he can't take them out of the trunk or install them in his new car.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Come on, if you're going to show us your tabs at least include something embarrassing and funny.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

You forgot "rattle-canned olive drab". I'd drive it.

No, it's satin Italian olive drab, a special custom color of course.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
I know everyone here goes a bit nutty for volvos, so I think this may be actual gold, but decide for yourself. It is located in Queensland, Australia. I'm not really sure what the marke tis like for volvos, but this seems cheap to me if it only needs a respray and new exhaust.

Volvo 242 GT

No picture unfortuntely so here is the text from the ad:

carsales ad posted:

Last Modified Date 12-Jan-2010

Vehicle 1979 VOLVO 242 242 GT

Price $2,500*

Interior Colour Black

Kilometres 250,000

Colour Silver

Transmission 5 speed Manual

Body 2 door 5 seat SEDAN

Drive type Rear

Road Worthy Certificate No

Engine 4 cylinder Petrol Multi-point injected 2.3L (2315cc)

Vehicle ID 8112220

Brief Comments Nice little 242 Really clean Runs Great Pioneer Cd changer, no rego or road worthy

comments
* Looking for a Rare Volvo? This is it.
Bought has a project car but wife says it has to go.
Paint is in fare condition, except left front fender has been replaced.
Runs great and starts right up. Needs exhaust for roadworthy.
Has pioneer tape deck and cd changer combo.
Sold without rego or roadworthy

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

badcompany9 posted:

At least he admits he knows nothing about cars, but his dad also knows nothing about cars.

How the hell do you end up with an RX8 in that bad of shape after four-five years?

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Reliant's are pretty AI right?

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/ctd/1548649824.html

Click here for the full 1419x841 image.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Sir Tonk posted:

How the hell do you end up with an RX8 in that bad of shape after four-five years?

By knowing nothing about cars, doing ricer poo poo to it, and racing it around on the street?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

make an offer they say...i'm tempted to throw out two grand just to see if they bite. (Un)fortunately I don't have the money and I also know that car will be nothing but heartbreak. I still want to save its poor little rotary heart :smith:

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Sir Tonk posted:

To make a broad, oversweeping generalizaion... the seller's name is Kristin (most people tend to list themselves first when listing contacts) and I'd imagine it was something like:

"OMG DADDY THAT CAR IS SO CUTE! BUY IT FOR ME PLEEEEEEEZ"
4 - 5 years later( of rough use and little to no maintenance)

"Huh, it doesn't run anymore. I want a different car."

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

badcompany9 posted:

Here's the problem:

quote:

my dad told me that the oil ring is leaking on the piston and that is getting gas on one of the spark plugs.

I can see why it won't start when you're getting gas all over the spark plugs.

:psyduck:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As someone completely unfamiliar with Wankels, do they even have rings like normal engines to even leak? Or do they just have these infamous apex seals I hear so much about?

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
E;FB

slidebite posted:

As someone completely unfamiliar with Wankels, do they even have rings like normal engines to even leak? Or do they just have these infamous apex seals I hear so much about?

Yeah, the seals are probably leaking oil into the combustion chamber and fouling the plugs, but I think both plugs fire in unison in the combustion cycle iirc, so I don't know why just not one plug would be fouled. Or it could be fouled by running too rich, but my money would be on oil.

Edit: Actually running too rich might be related to the idling issue, but I know nothing about rotaries.

atlas barfed fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 12, 2010

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Shifting at 2500 RPM all the drat time, I'd wager :argh:

EDIT: I'm trying to convince myself that there's nothing wrong with the car that can't be fixed with a little TLC and an afternoon of trips to and from redline

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ That's what I thought. :)

I know this thread really isn't about typos, but Jesus.
http://lethbridge.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-1982-Chevrolet-C-K-Pickup-1500-W0QQAdIdZ179221495

quote:

1982 chev short boxes. it has very little rust. no moter are tranmsion. have lots of parts go with it. i dont have camare so no pictures.call if interested 403-593-8411 thank
:downs:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
This one is too easy. But lest you wonder why we graduate kids who can't read or write. I present to you someone who cannot read or write, but knows about the "internet".

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

deviant. posted:

Shifting at 2500 RPM all the drat time, I'd wager :argh:

EDIT: I'm trying to convince myself that there's nothing wrong with the car that can't be fixed with a little TLC and an afternoon of trips to and from redline

Really? I'm hard pressed to find one redeeming thing about the car - the aftermarket sunroof alone would make me run like hell. But the accident damage into the rear quarter, a dead engine and that the subs may have been wired by the craigslist poster or her dad? There is nothing redeeming about it at all.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

badcompany9 posted:

Really? I'm hard pressed to find one redeeming thing about the car - the aftermarket sunroof alone would make me run like hell. But the accident damage into the rear quarter, a dead engine and that the subs may have been wired by the craigslist poster or her dad? There is nothing redeeming about it at all.

I think it's implied that my love of RX-8s is making me irrational.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I'd see about getting that RX8 cheap enough to run Lemons, but wouldn't consider buying it for any other reason.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

badcompany9 posted:

How much does a LQ4/4L80E cost nowadays?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Did you know that other sports cars point and laugh at the RX8 in repair shops when the hood gets lifted? "Baby engine baby engine" and it runs out crying.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I can't buy this. Please, someone in AZ, buy this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

_firehawk posted:

You just have to read it phonetically out loud, it's perfectly comprehensible. That was probably someone's JC school project.