Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Apologies in advance for the quick cam photos, just a little conversion for the standard bearer of my Swordmasters of Hoeth.

The metal kit comes with a rather horrible standard pole that you have to make your own banner for as seen here:

i had a left over standard from a prince / noble kit as seen here:

and i had a few left over weapon bits from previous kits.

I chopped up the bearer, the plastic banner and a weapon tip to make the following:

Will post better pictures once they're painted up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

dpack_1 posted:

Will post better pictures once they're painted up.

that's some drat fine work

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I went ahead and gave red bolters a try, when I get the rest of my paints I'll try the bleached bone on the chest wings. I think its a lot better, the black was too much black for the color scheme.

*Edit*

Also reading the 40k thread I sorta had an idea, would it be worth magnetizing all my marines arms so that if vanilla marines got boring I could toss on swords and pistols and run BT?

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 13, 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Also reading the 40k thread I sorta had an idea, would it be worth magnetizing all my marines arms so that if vanilla marines got boring I could toss on swords and pistols and run BT?

Hell, I'm really digging Fix's .gif in the other thread, I think it would be pretty cool to just swap arms and backpacks and viola, traitor legion.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, I'm really digging Fix's .gif in the other thread, I think it would be pretty cool to just swap arms and backpacks and viola, traitor legion.

Hell I can see no reason why not, more work but would make for much more variety in game options. I know someone posted a site with 100 magnets for $10.00, anyone still have that link?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I just bought a bunch from http://www.kjmagnetics.com/, their prices seem pretty good.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I went ahead and gave red bolters a try, when I get the rest of my paints I'll try the bleached bone on the chest wings. I think its a lot better, the black was too much black for the color scheme.

*Edit*

The red is definitely an improvement. Personally I think magnetizing basic troops like that is pretty overkill (no offense Fix) but to each his own.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Looking much nicer. I can't wait to see them highlighted up.

I'd vote against magnetizing your dudes like Fix did, though. It's of dubious use and you'll have a bunch of dudes with annoyingly weak arms/backpacks. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Hell I can see no reason why not, more work but would make for much more variety in game options. I know someone posted a site with 100 magnets for $10.00, anyone still have that link?

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/
Depending on the strength, 100 of the 1/8" x 1/16" discs can run you $9 to $13. I like using the N52 for most of my projects so far. Don't bother with the D21SH since they hold less weight and cost more since they're extra heat resistant (which really shouldn't be an issue).

*Edit: Beaten

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to get 1/8" diameter, get some of the 3/32" thickness ones too. They'll probably be too thick for some things but when you can use them, they'll be much stronger. For example, 1/16" thickness is doable (sort of) for power armor marines, like a sergeant with swapable PF/power weapon, but is too weak for terminator arms. 3/32" holds my TH/SS arms pretty solidly.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Crap, I just ordered these

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD4

I take it they are gonna be too small?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think thats pretty much the size that everyone uses

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah some putzing around with the conversions gives me about that same size just in metric.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Does anyone have a good technique for painting the 'living' parts on possessed space marines? Specifically Word Bearers chapter. I'm having troubles coming up with a technique...

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The item listing says "Approximately 1/8" x 1/16" thick" but in the pic it looks thicker than that, so you'll probably be ok.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Worse comes to worse, you just stack a couple and it works out about the same.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Crap, I just ordered these

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZD4

I take it they are gonna be too small?

Would these work for stuff like Skinks, Saurus warriors, and Orks?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Would these work for stuff like Skinks, Saurus warriors, and Orks?

No these aren't compatible with Orcs or Orks. They recently released a patch so they'll work with Skinks, no word on compatibility with Saurus warriors though, wait for service pack 2 if I were you.

Yes for orc/ks, depending on length of arms you might want thicker/double for the others, I'm not sure.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

It'd be really cool if some of you magnet abusers could put together a FAQ for what size magnets you use for different things (I'm guessing metal hive tyrant arms will need stronger magnets than a plastic space marine). It'd be really useful to have some stuff about that added to the OP, or any links to good articles on it.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

What would be the best way to strip enamel paint without damaging plastic? Simple Green's availability in the UK is terrible (they want £16 for a litre for it) (unless anyone knows a retail place that does it).

I looked in my local Tesco and wasn't sure which of the various car engine cleaners, oven cleaners, acetone free nail polish removers etc would either remove the paint or dissolve the plastic and kill me in the process.

Any tips? I have to remove this horrible paint job from my ship so I can redo it with all the tips from this thread!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Harkano posted:

Any tips? I have to remove this horrible paint job from my ship so I can redo it with all the tips from this thread!

Any pine based cleaner will do it. Or Dettol. I've had success with some cheap stuff called ZAMMO I got from a local crappy hardware/cleaning products store.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I swear by Fairy Power Spray for paint stripping. Spray on, leave overnight, attack with old toothbrush, job done. Plus, I'm sure you can get it in Tesco. Never tried it on enamels though.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Any pine based cleaner will do it. Or Dettol. I've had success with some cheap stuff called ZAMMO I got from a local crappy hardware/cleaning products store.

Dettol all purpose cleaner? Or something else. They make craploads of stuff.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Whatever this stuff is.

I don't really know if it'll work on enamels, so try Power Spray or something cheap first.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ripper Swarm posted:

I swear by Fairy Power Spray for paint stripping. Spray on, leave overnight, attack with old toothbrush, job done. Plus, I'm sure you can get it in Tesco. Never tried it on enamels though.

fairy or cif power cream works awesomely. I've left metal stuff in it for a few days and the paint came off to a toothbrush with no trouble. I've only left plastic in overnight, which worked well with no damage but I don't know if it'll harm it if you leave it longer.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
4 hour paint job, the metal looks horrible in the photo but really isn't that thick on the model.

Gonna try and get the gf to take better pictures a bit later.

EDIT:

My mate has also been painting up this Brood Lord, he want's a bit of C&C if anyone cares to offer it.

dpack_1 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 13, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fyrbrand posted:

The red is definitely an improvement. Personally I think magnetizing basic troops like that is pretty overkill (no offense Fix) but to each his own.

If I might weigh in... I don't think I'd do it again. It's long, tedious work, the bonds, as MSP says, are weak, so you've got to continuously adjust the arms on your dudes, it's expensive in the long run, moreso than what you'd expect going into it, and it limits the posing you can do on your models. Really, you're probably better off just getting some more basic troops with the kit options you want and saving the magnets for the HQ/Elites that come with the extra bits and cost more to begin with.

To clarify on the strength of the magnet bond, they're strong enough that I can grab it by the backpack and swing around a metal robed body based on a big ol chunk of rock, but offer so little resistance that that backpack will pretty much be at a jaunty angle for the entirety of any game it's deployed in. So strong, but not so strong, really.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fix posted:

To clarify on the strength of the magnet bond, they're strong enough that I can grab it by the backpack and swing around a metal robed body based on a big ol chunk of rock, but offer so little resistance that that backpack will pretty much be at a jaunty angle for the entirety of any game it's deployed in. So strong, but not so strong, really.

I'm lazy so I'm not going out to measure the backpacks and figure out if it would work, but would there be enough material to use two magnets and keep the backpack clocked in the proper position?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not really, and the idea of attempting to sink two magnets side by side without them flipping out of their holes while you're trying to glue them down and flinging superglue everywhere makes my skin crawl.

Two other downsides: especially when you're doing just regular bolter arms, you're going to mix up which arms go with which models, and the tiniest of variation between the location of your drill holes and the angle of your magnet seating is going to mean that if you don't match the right arms up to the right bodies you're going to have some dudes holding their bolters in weird ways. After trying to match it up for a couple of minutes, you will give up and your opponent will have lost interest in the uniqueness of your project and ask you to stop wasting time.

Also, if you are using plastic bodies, remember that the pull of these things is so strong that if your magnets are of opposite facing internally to the body they actually will slowly pull towards each other, even through the plastic. This makes it easy to get the magnets in when you're first drilling and setting the core bodies, but over time they will actually mush the plastic to get to one another. These magnets are actually very strong. It's one of the reasons I used all metal bodies. I imagine the same is true of magnetic repulsion and, if your glue bonds weaken over time, you might find your arm anchors ejecting themselves.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OK, I think I fixed my two problem "vets".

For the Sarge, I redid the arms, so he has a power fist and bolter, both with Catachan arms to make it more balanced. I don't have a suitable right arm for the flamer , so I took the shoulder pad for the heavy bolter scout and put it on. It's still unbalanced with one Catachan arm and one scout arm, but since they'll be based like they're on a Death World jungle/swamp, I'm hoping they'll just look beat up like they've been out with no resupply for too long.

If I thought I could make a convincing bandage, I'd put it on him, just to show why one arm has no sleeve.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Current thoughts are to give the skin a coat of Camo Green, carefully paint the recesses with Coat D'arms Green Ink, then apply an all-over coat of Thrakka Green wash, with application of final Camo Green edging.

Turns out this is a terrible idea, and as far as I can see, Thrakka Green doesn't do poo poo.

:sigh:

Guess I'll tone it down with some shading, one odd Gaunt won't look too out of place in the swarm.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fix posted:

Not really, and the idea of attempting to sink two magnets side by side without them flipping out of their holes while you're trying to glue them down and flinging superglue everywhere makes my skin crawl.

Yea, don't try and do this, it's an immense pain in the rear end. Even if you do them one at a time, when you're placing the second magnet you have to get it right into position immediately and then hold it there long enough for the glue to dry without getting yourself stuck to it as well.

If you want to magnet something on without letting it spin/tilt, use one magnet, and then sink a pin into one side and drill a matching hole on the other part. The magnet will keep the thing together, and the pin acts as a stabilizer. Note that this is a huge pain in the rear end and probably not worth it for more than one or two models.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Guess I'll tone it down with some shading, one odd Gaunt won't look too out of place in the swarm.

Everyone: "Hey, why is this one painted different?"
You: "GOD drat IT."
I'm not saying it's bad really, but I promise you, someone will notice.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Crossposting because I really could use some basing advice/suggestions here.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I'd go with something dark, like grey rubble. Nothing green, though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fix posted:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

drat, these are nice. Not the usual BLACK AND RED GOTHIC GRIM DARK SKULL SKULL SKULL
colours. I'd say urban kinda bases, maybe medium or dark grey with occasional metals and rust.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jesus, all those near-identical minis are depressing.

And not a topknot among them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Fix posted:

Snow and rock, with small patches of brown grass flock.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Whatever this stuff is.

I don't really know if it'll work on enamels, so try Power Spray or something cheap first.

Picked up a cheaper Asda brand version of this stuff for £1. Will report back on success or failure.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ok since my Series 7s came in yesterday, anyone want to tell me how best to take care of them? I have a routine for cleaning brushes but don't really know if I'm doing it right. Now that I have actual good brushes I want to do it correctly.

• Locked thread