Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

stealing this from LF to post here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hot Cops posted:

What kind of scrilla are you paying for that place, Brad?

Also, are there any issues one has to worry about when renting (I assume you're renting) a live-in commercial space?

You probably need to split surface/usage for tax purposes (you do in the Netherlands, but I assume it's the same in the US), and insurance can be a pain (no idea if that's the case in the US).

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Hot Cops posted:

What kind of scrilla are you paying for that place, Brad?

Also, are there any issues one has to worry about when renting (I assume you're renting) a live-in commercial space?

It's about $2000 (split with a roommate who is also an artist) which is really loving cheap in the Bay Area considering it's about ~1800sqft.

It's zoned live/work so there aren't really any legal issues with me living out of here and also having a studio. Some of the other units in my building are being used as office only, some are only being used as living space, most are both. Insurance wise my professional stuff covers my equipment/liability here. I can deduct a portion of my rent relative to what space is being used as work-only as a business expense. Other than that I'm not open to the public or anything so I don't need a business license or a permit or any of that poo poo.

We just finished building my bedroom up in the rafters which is pretty sweet, I'm basically living in a treehouse. Will post pics of the studio portion after I get settled and start doing some shoots.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

We just finished building my bedroom up in the rafters which is pretty sweet, I'm basically living in a treehouse. Will post pics of the studio portion after I get settled and start doing some shoots.

Who cares about the studio portion? I want to see pics of that sweet living space. Don't disappoint us, man.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I've posted on here before about the fact that my main interest in photography is underwater work. I've done quite a bit myself but my Dad did back in the 70's as well. I'm not sure why he ever quit taking photos but he is still in the dive industry. Anyway I've run across some old photos and have been working on a few of them and I thought you guys might like to see some of them.

These were all taken around 1974 or so.

My Dad with his original Nikonos

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 14, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

I've posted on here before about the fact that my main interest in photography is underwater work. I've done quite a bit myself but my Dad did back in the 70's as well. I'm not sure why he ever quit taking photos but he is still in the dive industry. Anyway I've run across some old photos and have been working on a few of them and I thought you guys might like to see some of them.

Those are neat as hell. Does he still have the old camera? The first one and shot of someone swimming next to the wall of seaweed is cool.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DJExile posted:

Those are neat as hell. Does he still have the old camera? The first one and shot of someone swimming next to the wall of seaweed is cool.

Thanks! It's long gone but I've recently gotten my hands on a Nikonos IV. It needs some repair work (new O-rings mainly) and there is a guy I know who says he still has parts to repair it. Hopefully I can get it repaired and start shooting it soon. I would love to do some B&W wide-angle wreck shots with it.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I like the last one. He looks so ...cool. :D

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Is there a particular type of double sided tape that you fashion shooters use?

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008
If anyone's interested, Mary Ellen Mark posted a couple images on her facebook; one of the final shot, another of how it was set up. If anyone's really interested, I could help answer questions about it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=137871&id=103598652337&ref=nf

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

ZoCrowes posted:

I've posted on here before about the fact that my main interest in photography is underwater work.

Woo! Another dorkroomer who understands that salt water is an essential ingredient for finishing film!

Is that a Nikonos III your dad is sporting there? Also, that makes me miss J-valve tanks.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes, can I be your scuba/photography apprentice?

Your dad is badass.

I recently picked up a nikonos V, but didn't have the opportunity to take it scuba diving - just did poo poo off the beach with low visibility in the water. The most compelling subject was my fin.

If any one is curious I could take some pictures of the nikonos V.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Someone really should start an underwater photography thread...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Someone really should start an underwater photography thread...

I vote ZoCrowes do it.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

ZoCrowes, can I be your scuba/photography apprentice?

Your dad is badass.

I recently picked up a nikonos V, but didn't have the opportunity to take it scuba diving - just did poo poo off the beach with low visibility in the water. The most compelling subject was my fin.

If any one is curious I could take some pictures of the nikonos V.

You're European correct? I've been contemplating a move for the past few years. You put me up and you have yourself a deal! A while back you asked me about AIM and I don't actually get on there much anymore. If you want to get in touch to with me to talk diving and such just drop me a line at chrispscott (at) gmail (dot) com.

I'm down for starting an Underwater Photo thread. I'll write up an OP at work tomorrow if no one has any objections.

Squidflakes - I believe that's an original Nikonos actually. Dad can't remember because he had more than a few over the years.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 15, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

You're European correct? I've been contemplating a move for the past few years. You put me up and you have yourself a deal! A while back you asked me about AIM and I don't actually get on there much anymore. If you want to get in touch to with me to talk diving and such just drop me a line at chrispscott (at) gmail (dot) com.

I'm down for starting an Underwater Photo thread. I'll write up an OP at work tomorrow if no one has any objections.

Squidflakes - I believe that's an original Nikonos actually. Dad can't remember because he had more than a few over the years.

Cool, I'll pop you an email now. I literally have nobody to talk diving with at the moment. I managed to talk my friend into doing a "discover dive" but his mom had a huge shitfit about him diving. Not because she thought it was dangerous, but she thought it would affect his ambition to go "down" rather than "up."

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

Is there a particular type of double sided tape that you fashion shooters use?

For what? As far as I know, everyone just uses gaffers tape, including me. Are you talking about for clothes? Stylist takes care of all that.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Yea, for clothes. Sticking cloth to skin, without it hurting :)

Just wondered if i should be looking for anything in particular. It's just a smalltime trial shoot, but i need some tape of some sort.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

From what I know, usually clothes are pinned. Otherwise, if you're not real good with pins, you can try bra-tape that women use to tape in no-strap bras. Honestly, just normal double sided poster tape would probably work fine.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think two things that would probably help is to google up how burlesque dancers keep their pasties on and how female wrestlers keep things from accidentally bouncing out of captivity. I'm pretty sure they use either gaffers tape in a loop or foam double-sided tape.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I've assisted stylists and they always used small A-clamps or pins to hold clothes together. Mostly pins.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

HPL posted:

I think two things that would probably help is to google up how burlesque dancers keep their pasties on and how female wrestlers keep things from accidentally bouncing out of captivity. I'm pretty sure they use either gaffers tape in a loop or foam double-sided tape.

Ah yes, this is an excellent thing to "research" :)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Ah yes, this is an excellent thing to "research" :)

I had to investigate this for my ICSA entry over in goons with spoons. The answer is scotch double sided tape you can get anywhere.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm excited, I'm shooting film for the first time tomorrow. MF fun :D (I know, I know)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wired thinks your DSLR is yesterday's news.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/five-reasons-you-should-ditch-your-dslr/

quote:

There’s a new camera category in town. It’s EVIL, and it’s going to kick your DSLR’s rear end. EVIL stands for Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens, and is our favorite acronym for cameras like the Olympus Pen, the Lumix GF1 and the Samsung NX10. These small, mirrorless, finderless cameras can fit in a pocket and outperform bulky DSLRs. Here’s why your next camera will probably be EVIL.

They’re Small

DSLRs are bulky. Their design comes from the film days when the only way to see the exact image that would hit the film was to divert the light coming through the lens with a mirror and send it to a viewfinder. This mirror meant the body needed to be deep, and the lenses — further away from the film than those in a mirrorless rangefinder — were also bigger.

Now we can see what the sensor sees either on a screen, or through an electronic finder. With the mirror gone, the body can be a lot smaller, just like a compact digicam. This means you can carry it with you everywhere, fit it in a jacket pocket and be ready for *that* picture, wherever you are.

They Take Great Pictures

The trick with the new EVIL cams is that they have large sensors. In the case of the Samsung NX10, this sensor is the same size as you’d find in a DSLR, and the others use the Micro Four Thirds format, a sensor which is half the size of a 35mm frame, but a lot bigger than the pinkie-nail-sized sensor in a typical compact. This gives the high image quality and low-light sensitivity of a DSLR. And because they have large sensors, the depth of field is shallower, and you can throw a distracting background out of focus.

For most people, that is more than good enough.

You Can Change Lenses

Let’s be honest. If you’re not a pro, you probably bought your fancy DSLR, fixed on the kit zoom lens, and that was it. You probably spend 90 percent, if not all of your time, shooting with this on your camera.

With an EVIL camera, you can do this too. It’s more likely though, given the tiny pocket-sized lenses for these cameras, that you will actually carry them with you. Better still, with an adapter you can use all your current DSLR lenses on the newer, smaller body.

They’re Fast

Compacts have lost out to DSLRs by being slow. Slow to power up, slow to zoom and slow to actually respond to your trigger finger. EVIL cameras have fixed this, and are as responsive as any entry-level DSLR. Watch out which model you go for, though. The current generation still has some trouble focusing as fast as a bigger camera, although some models, like the Panasonic GF1, have this nailed.

They Don’t Scream “Look at Me”

With a smaller camera, you can blend in. With an EVIL camera, you can blend in and still get great shots. This combination of size and quality was the reason the Leica M series was the camera of choice for both street shooters and war reporters, from Henri Cartier Bresson to Sebastião Salgado. And because there is no mirror to flip, they’re quiet, too.

The Con

As a new category, the EVIL is still relatively expensive, and you’ll pay as much for a body and lens as you would for a prosumer level DSLR. For many, even pros, the size difference alone is enough to justify this. For everyone else, you could wait until the likes of Canon and Nikon inevitably enter this sector. Then prices will start to fall, and things will get really interesting.

Unless you have a specific use that these cameras can’t meet, or you need the very highest level of performance only a Canon 1D or Nikon D3 can bring, you have no reason to buy a DSLR. Instead, consider being EVIL. You might like it.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/five-reasons-you-should-ditch-your-dslr/#ixzz0clkWDf8M

:rolleyes:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cultural Imperial posted:

Wired thinks your DSLR is yesterday's news.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/five-reasons-you-should-ditch-your-dslr/

:rolleyes:

Hilarious,

quote:

There’s a new camera category in town. It’s EVIL, and it’s going to kick your DSLR’s rear end. EVIL stands for Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens, and is our favorite acronym for cameras like the Olympus Pen, the Lumix GF1 and the Samsung NX10. These small, mirrorless, finderless cameras can fit in a pocket and outperform bulky DSLRs. Here’s why your next camera will probably be EVIL.

They never mention the "outperform" in the subsequent comments. Not to mention, how exactly are they going to give us a 17-50mm equivalent (the "kit lens") without making them too big to put in your pocket, the sole advantage these seem to offer?

Sure, these are great second cameras.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
A friend of mine got the GF1 and it's a great little camera. I'd love to have one as a carry around, but I don't see it replacing my DSLR any time soon.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I remember reading an Arthur C. Clarke book a few weeks ago in which one of the main characters was developing some film thinking to himself that although they were on a moon base photography hadn't changed at all in the last 200 years.

I feel like the main thing keeping photography from advancing in huge dramatic leaps is the investment the big electronics companies are making in specific systems. It's in their best interest to keep the SLR platform going.

Of course, there is also the fact that we've had the capacity to produce stunning images for the last fifty years and if you look at photography's product rather than the method there is no real reason to change it dramatically.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm not sure much can be done minus a revolutionary change in optics. Until we aren't limited by glass/ceramic optics and the defraction/distortion problems inherent to it, you can only make a 400mm lens so compact and retain any quality. Right now, I'm not sure you can make a 70-200 much smaller than the f/4 of canon, and how important is it that your camera can fit in your pocket if it's stuck on the end of that?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
2 Year Old wins photgraphy contest

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'd love a GF1 myself but generally the Wired article hilights the main problem with Wired since they started publishing. Wired writers are techno fetishists whose eyes get starry over anything, technological or social, that they perceive as new.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

By the time he's older the camera will be worthless, bit of a shame, but it is a nice picture.

torgeaux posted:

I'm not sure much can be done minus a revolutionary change in optics. Until we aren't limited by glass/ceramic optics and the defraction/distortion problems inherent to it, you can only make a 400mm lens so compact and retain any quality. Right now, I'm not sure you can make a 70-200 much smaller than the f/4 of canon, and how important is it that your camera can fit in your pocket if it's stuck on the end of that?

No but you see the camera is tiny and therefore it must be a technological invention that will cast off the shackles of the previous generation!
I like a slightly bulky camera as it gives me something to grip.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

psylent posted:

A friend of mine got the GF1 and it's a great little camera. I'd love to have one as a carry around, but I don't see it replacing my DSLR any time soon.

It is lovely, but it's not that small though.

Speaking of which, are there any decent pancake lenses for Canon? I'd even go manual if it meant that the body+lense was really light

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
so the cameras the wired article are talking about have electronic shutters right? does having a mirror and physical shutter still make better pictures because of the optics?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What? No. There is nothing about these bodies that results in better optics. Better optics make better optics (to be trite about it).

Maybe they're trying to argue that no mirror mechanism allows for smaller and faster optics like rangefinders? The article is so far off from advancing such a viewpoint that I would have to call them absolutely idiotic as to the details of photography if that's what they're trying to say.

A worthless piece from Wired, basically.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Additionally

loving Wired posted:

Unless you have a specific use that these cameras can’t meet
Like being able to control focus and DOF
or see your composition in daylight
or not kill your night vision
or have significant battery life

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not that the article isn't riddled with enough technical inaccuracies, but I believe Cartier-Bresson shot most of his famous stuff with Barnacks (older screw mount Leicas), not M's.

I hope Samsung has something more in the shape of the GF1/EP1 in the pipeline, a compact 1.6x crop EVIL is pretty tempting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To play devil's advocate for a second, a lot of P&S cameras, and things like the Powershot G11 and Olympus EP-1 and EP-2 have shown a lot of promise compared to full-bore DSLRs. They're not equivalent, and may never be, but they're getting a lot closer in some aspects. A ton of people are buying DSLRs just because "I want better pictures!" and probably never take them out of AUTO in their lifetime. I think some of these cameras are taking advantage of that market, as well as the DSLR enthusiasts who might want something a little more pocketable.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

To play devil's advocate for a second, a lot of P&S cameras, and things like the Powershot G11 and Olympus EP-1 and EP-2 have shown a lot of promise compared to full-bore DSLRs. They're not equivalent, and may never be, but they're getting a lot closer in some aspects.

Many P&S cameras can take great photos in broad daylight. It's in low light and fast action where they fall off badly. They're considerably better than they used to be though. I hope it eventually reaches the point that film did where a small autofocus point and shoot like the Olympus Stylus Epic could deliver pretty much the same quality as an SLR in all conditions if you used it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's already enough tech across the brands to make a pretty compelling machine once they get their heads out of their collective asses.