Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
That would pay for itself in one colonscopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

frozenphil posted:

Which type of arc welding? Arc welding encompasses Stick, MIG, and TIG welding.

He's probably talking about stick welding, since stick welding is most commonly (in my world anyways) referred to as arc welding.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

frozenphil posted:

Which type of arc welding? Arc welding encompasses Stick, MIG, and TIG welding.

Generally arc is referred to as stick welding.

If you're doing TIG or MIG you usually say so. At least in my experience.

But in this case it does stick and TIG. There's no wire feed for MIG.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Stopped by HF today and picked up this guy:

Completely forgot about the extra 25% off, so I got it for $36. Was thinking about picking up a new engine hoist as well, but the one they had there was... meh. I'll probably splurge the extra $ and grab the Torin 1-ton from Northern Tool for $169. After getting the extension cord and work light reels for Christmas, there'll be no more hand-rolling cords and hoses for me! :woop:

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
I bought the manual tire changer, and motorcycle adapter. They were on sale for $49 each, plus my 25% coupons, so it ended up like $80 total. Hopefully it doesn't suck too badly for motorcycle tires, and maybe it will even work for car/truck tires...

Let me know how you like that air hose reel, since that was next on my list.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

CatBus posted:

I bought the manual tire changer, and motorcycle adapter. They were on sale for $49 each, plus my 25% coupons, so it ended up like $80 total. Hopefully it doesn't suck too badly for motorcycle tires, and maybe it will even work for car/truck tires...

Buy a Mojolever and Mojoblocks to prevent rim mangling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CatBus posted:

This?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

Post a review once you use it please.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542

Post a review once you use it please.

Seconding this. I already have a wheel balancer, might as well go for the whole set up.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

CatBus posted:

Well, I haven't actually USED the air hose reel, other than with a blow gun to confirm air came out and that my connections were good, but I got it mounted and plumbed in tonight. Some thoughts:
  • I had to pick up a reducer to attach a hose to the side of the reel. Also had to get a reducer for the end of the hose. Seems like the threads are 3/8" NPT, and my old hose was 1/4" NPT threaded. I'm using 3/8" "T" style quick-connect fittings for the feed line and for all my tools.
  • Mounts easily enough, I just mounted a 26" 2x8 to the ceiling in my garage, and bolted the reel to that with 3/8"x1" lag screws and washers. Ran my old 50' hose along the ceiling over to the compressor in the corner.
  • The reel is nice and smooth, and has a small spacing of the "clicks" that lock the hose in place. Very easy to set the length you want. Retraction mechanism is plenty strong as well.
  • The rubber hose it comes with is plenty flexible, even in the cold and when charged at 80psi. My old cheap hose gets pretty stiff in the cold, and is a bitch to wrap up if it's pressurized.
  • The stopper on the hose is attached by 2 screws, so it's easy to set to a different length, and holds tightly to the hose. My 2 electrical reels have a non-removeable stopper ball, and neither of them holds the cord tightly enough to work very well.

All in all, it's worth the $36 I paid for it, and I'd say even worth the $59 or whatever it normally costs. I'll probably pick up one of the 50' air/water reels closer to spring to use as my car-washing hose, so I can just reel it up when I'm not using it or in the winter.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

PitViper posted:

[*]The stopper on the hose is attached by 2 screws, so it's easy to set to a different length, and holds tightly to the hose. My 2 electrical reels have a non-removeable stopper ball, and neither of them holds the cord tightly enough to work very well.
[/list]

All in all, it's worth the $36 I paid for it, and I'd say even worth the $59 or whatever it normally costs. I'll probably pick up one of the 50' air/water reels closer to spring to use as my car-washing hose, so I can just reel it up when I'm not using it or in the winter.

Use a zip-tie around your electrical cords as a stopper for the balls. Works wonders.

I'm tempted to get that air reel but am a little nervous about mounting it to the textured drywall in my garage. Maybe if I make a base board like your set up. Also really wish I had more electrical outlets in my garage. It shouldn't be hard to add some more as the breaker box is in the garage and there's an attic right above it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Use a zip-tie around your electrical cords as a stopper for the balls. Works wonders.

I'm tempted to get that air reel but am a little nervous about mounting it to the textured drywall in my garage. Maybe if I make a base board like your set up. Also really wish I had more electrical outlets in my garage. It shouldn't be hard to add some more as the breaker box is in the garage and there's an attic right above it.

Good idea on the zip ties. And yea, mounting it straight to the drywall would be a bad idea. It's pretty hefty on its own, and pulling down on the hose would probably pull it right out. The rafters are only 4" wide, so I couldn't have mounted it through the drywall to the rafter, since the holes are 5-1/4" apart or so. If you don't have any scrap boards, just hit your local Home Depot or whatever. Mine always has a big bin of "scrap" boards that are really cheap. This one was a 30" 2x8 that I got for 51 cents.

I'm in the same situation with outlets, the one in the ceiling is on a separate circuit from the one on the wall by the panel, so if the compressor blows the wall outlet breaker, I still have lights. If I were more comfortable with home electrical wiring, I'd toss another 20A outlet in the corner by the compressor, and a second one on the wall by the panel. There's no main breaker on the panel though, just all the individual breakers.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Any recommendations on a strut tower engine brace? What I'm looking for is a bar that goes across the engine and rests on the strut towers/pinch welds on the fenders for supporting the engine while doing suspension work. I can't think of the proper name so I'm failing at google right now.

Edit: Found the name. Apparently they are called engine hangers and look like the one below, only not so home made and scary looking. Any brands better than the others or any to avoid?

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 6, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
home-made and scary looking indeed. no thereifixedit.com watermark, where'd you find that?

weak looking pipe you make a fence or patio umbrella out of, weak looking brackets, dog-chain, tiny little wood screws.

The wood blocks themselves are about the only thing that could've been strong about that whole rig.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

home-made and scary looking indeed. no thereifixedit.com watermark, where'd you find that?

weak looking pipe you make a fence or patio umbrella out of, weak looking brackets, dog-chain, tiny little wood screws.

The wood blocks themselves are about the only thing that could've been strong about that whole rig.

I believe it's the first GIS for "engine hanger", although many import folks seem to call engine mounts engine hangers as well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

frozenphil posted:

You do not buy complicated machines, electronic stuff, or safety equipment from Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight is to be used for simple machines and hand tools only. This is a rule you should follow if you value your time, money, and/or life.

The $2.00 multimeters are decent as well. My father got 2 of them one for me one for himself. Both were within 5% when tested against the calibrated lab equipment at his office.

Might not be good enough for fancy pants electronics work but it's good enough for automotive work.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

FatCow posted:

The $2.00 multimeters are decent as well. My father got 2 of them one for me one for himself. Both were within 5% when tested against the calibrated lab equipment at his office.

Might not be good enough for fancy pants electronics work but it's good enough for automotive work.

Sometime in the early early 80s Fluke (or someone else I don't remember) came out with a digital VOM design that didn't require low tolerance components and had an absurdly cheap chip with LED/LCD driver on-chip. The HF $4.99 ones run like 5% resistors in them.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Someone said Harbor Freight gloves were OK. This is not always true. I go through Mechanics gloves at a rapid clip. I decided to buy some yellow gloves at HF. The package said "Genuine Goatskin Leather" which I though was funny, so I bought them.

Every time I wore the gloves they stained my skin yellow. Not awesome or funny.

The HF DMM is good enough for most work. Definitely better for taking to the junkyard than an expensive Fluke. I paid more for new probe wires for my Fluke than some of the DMMs at HF (they are really nice wires though).

The calipers are alright, we have a few sets at work for measuring top plates and voice coil winding widths.

That engine hanger doesn't look bad to me. Most car engines aren't THAT heavy, and it is usually supported by at least one other engine mount.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
The blue nitrile gloves that HF has are probably the best suited for automotive work, and go on sale for 5-6 dollars for a pack of 100. They either last the entire job or disintegrate within 10 minutes, a good description of many things at HF.

Thumbs up on harbor freight's extendable ratchet and impact sockets, long handled wrenches. The "Pittsburgh Professional" wrenches and sockets that are made mostly in India seem to be the most durable stuff HF has.

HF's digital calipers work well but the supplied batteries are awful. HF has funny batteries (Dinocell, looks like Duracell, one end of the battery casing mushroomed!) the 9v ones inside the Multimeters are funny too, I think they were an Energizer clone and they also don't last long. The multimeters cost less than a new 9v battery, though.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That is a pretty versatile looking ratchet. I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one next time I am there.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

frozenphil posted:

You do not buy complicated machines, electronic stuff, or safety equipment from Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight is to be used for simple machines and hand tools only. This is a rule you should follow if you value your time, money, and/or life.

I got the cordless impact wrench and it's been great for the last 9 months or so. Seems I may be lucky though.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Thumbs up on harbor freight's extendable ratchet and impact sockets, long handled wrenches. The "Pittsburgh Professional" wrenches and sockets that are made mostly in India seem to be the most durable stuff HF has.

Seconding these, holy poo poo I love this stuff.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Doctor Zero posted:

I got the cordless impact wrench and it's been great for the last 9 months or so.
How much torque do you think it has? (can it even come close to taking off a lug nut?)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I got the cordless impact wrench and it's been great for the last 9 months or so. Seems I may be lucky though.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but in general you don't buy that kind of stuff from Harbor Freight.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Some tools work great for some people. Other people expect to use them to their full advertised or implied capability and are disappointed. In general their tools work fine, until they don't.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

PBCrunch posted:

Every time I wore the gloves they stained my skin yellow. Not awesome or funny.

Turn them inside out, soak in the sink, and scrub with soap. Once the excess dye is gone they'll stop turning your hands yellow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

frozenphil posted:

Edit: Found the name. Apparently they are called engine hangers and look like the one below, only not so home made and scary looking. Any brands better than the others or any to avoid?

I can't really see anything wrong with that. Should be plenty strong enough to support the engine. Why pay for one when you only need it for one job?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

InitialDave posted:

I can't really see anything wrong with that. Should be plenty strong enough to support the engine. Why pay for one when you only need it for one job?

So it takes longer, this is frozenphil :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Because I don't like to purchase disposable tools and I may want it for more than one job or sell it along if I decide I don't?

Slung Blade posted:

So it takes longer, this is frozenphil :v:

Your mother used to kiss you goodnight after giving your father a blowjob. FYI.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

frozenphil posted:

Because I don't like to purchase disposable tools and I may want it for more than one job or sell it along if I decide I don't?

Looks homemade to me, but not disposable.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I've never seen an engine hanger that wasn't homemade, I didn't even know they made professional ones because professionals have hoists and stuff to use.

That one you posted isn't that bad. Notch the wood blocks to take the load off those brackets, maybe make the blocks longer to lower the load on the fenders and throw on some rubber to protect the paint. Thick wall iron pipe should be plenty strong enough to hold a 4cyl motor, use box tubing if you want more strength.

I just wrap chain around a 2x4. v:shobon:v

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

jailbait#3 posted:

How much torque do you think it has? (can it even come close to taking off a lug nut?)

I can't remember off-hand and I can't find it on their site anymnore. :( It's not real strong. I've taken lugs off with it, but I also don't think they were frozen on or anything. With a breaker bar, I can likely out-torque it by hand. But what it's great for (and why I bought it) was getting off bolts that I can't really get to with my extension wrench. When I had to drop my gas tank, and when I changed my shocks there were a couple rusted bolts that I just couldn't get any leverage on and it pulled them out lickety split.

It's also great for tough long bolts that are just a pain to wrench on for 30 minutes because you can't turn your wrench more than a couple degrees.

I wouldn't bring it to the track for quick tire changes or replace an air tool with it, though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

frozenphil posted:

Your mother used to kiss you goodnight after giving your father a blowjob. FYI.

That's ok, I still love her. I'm glad she was takin care of the old man.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Dunno if anyone needs it, but if you're looking for a compressor, Sears has the Dewalt D55273, 10.3 SCFM delivered @ 100 PSI and 150 Max PSI, for $400.97 with free (freight) shipping. Right now you can get 8% Bing cash back using the search term 'hdd.'

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919254000P for

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK guys: Aldi has small ultrasonic cleaning tanks for £16.99 right now. Picked one up on a co-worker's recommendation from last time they had them, will see how effective it is.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

laymil posted:

Dunno if anyone needs it, but if you're looking for a compressor, Sears has the Dewalt D55273, 10.3 SCFM delivered @ 100 PSI and 150 Max PSI, for $400.97 with free (freight) shipping. Right now you can get 8% Bing cash back using the search term 'hdd.'

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919254000P for

drat that was a good deal, sold out quickly, I was about to get 1 or 2 for the chase trucks on the race team. Pop the wheels off and mount it in the tool box :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I remembered that I had 31k worth of 'thankyou' points.

Just got one of these for free and I still have 10k points left :parrot:

Yeah its not USB-compatible but my computer has the appropriate port so I'm happy

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

CornHolio posted:

I remembered that I had 31k worth of 'thankyou' points.

Just got one of these for free and I still have 10k points left :parrot:

Yeah its not USB-compatible but my computer has the appropriate port so I'm happy

Excellent scanner, I have the 3140 myself. You can use a RS232 to USB adapter on these btw.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
If anyone is interested in the big red HF toolbox, it is $340 this weekend (Sale price, not a coupon) and you can use a 20% off coupon (At least my HF lets me) and get it for $272 before tax.

Link to "January blowout sale":
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/tabviewer/startBrowseBook.do?bookid=267&preview=true&type=RET&simple=&r=7544_611328

20% off and other coupons

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayPage.do?pageFile=magurl2.html

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Love that flashlight: "This coupon can not be duplicated in any manner including photocopies and computer printouts. CLICK HERE TO PRINT THIS COUPON."

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Wagonburner posted:

That pipe is strong, brackets and screws don't have to do anything other than keep the pipe from rolling. Thats not bent dog chain, thats welded chain, which you use for you know pulling cars out of ditches, etc. Looks like its 800lb chain, so x2. Doubt that motor weighs 1600lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

If anyone is interested in the big red HF toolbox, it is $340 this weekend (Sale price, not a coupon) and you can use a 20% off coupon (At least my HF lets me) and get it for $272 before tax.

I have this cabinet and it's really good. Fun fact: You can squeeze it into the back of a Mazdaspeed 3 if you take off the casters.