Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Vander posted:

How about some advice for a slew of Wii games I got for Christmas: Anything I should know about Resident Evil 0?

There's some terrible puzzle with chemical mixing that you need to have Rebecca do or else you get massively hosed over, but I don't remember the location. Look it up or something like that. I know it's lazy advice, but if you screw yourself over it really sucks.

Pretty much all of the standard RE tropes apply. Try to conserve ammo but kill zombies if they're in a location you keep going through, save shotguns and grenade rounds for tough enemies/bosses, don't use the knife, etc. This game has annoying leech men monsters, fight them with molotov cocktails or incendiary rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im not gonna lie. I cheated my way through Resident Evil Zero with an action replay, and I still felt like the game was a pile of poo poo. I cant imagine how it would be doing it legit.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OxMan posted:

Any combat tips for Dragon Age on the CONSOLE? AOE spells seem absolutely useless as they hurt my melee guys attacking the enemies I'm trying to cast them on more than the enemies themselves, and attempting to position anyone is an exercise in futility. How am I supposed to do this? I tried telling everyone to stay in the same spot, then move people individually where I wanted them but this took so long that the enemies would be repositioned near the Wynne again by the time I finished moving Alistair, Morrigan, and myself. Combined with laying traps which, as a rogue (and as the game is pretty drat challenging), is pretty much required for any sort of non-cannon fodder fight, I find myself either dying repeatedly on an encounter until I get lucky enough to cheese it, or find each little fight taking 5-10 minutes due to all the micromanagement. The ghetto gambit system seems to be nigh useless on anything but their default settings.

Secondly, I've played a ton of WRPGs and CRPGs and I still can't quite figure out what kind of equipment each class does well with. Should I focus on spellpower boosting no armor stuff for mages, or should I outfit them in light armor that gives them some protection that gives bonuses to stats?

I'm currently fighting Sloth inside the Fade and by the time I reach his true form after the 4 shapeshifts my party's just tuckered out and I can't keep up with healing everyone.

I've played through the console version of DA:O a few times, and I keep returning to a ghetto stun-lock strategy: I make Alistair specialize in the various stunning shield attacks and rig his tactics to use them basically all the time. I have Wynne set to use mass rejuvination and/or Glyph of Repulsion. Morrigan is set to use Winter's grasp and Paralysis or Mass Paralysis. Then my character rolls in with the highest-damaging attacks possible.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

mystery at hog island posted:

If your play style is anything like mine, the lower floor of the lobby is going to be a giant well-organized item box.

RE0, while fun in its own right, is an example of how lack of realism (magic item boxes) is sometimes preferable to realism (backtracking to the crash site from the end game to get an item you thought you were done with) in games.

Always lead with Billy. Rebecca cannot take damage at all. Like every other RE game. Aiming up with a shot gun at a zombie from close range will likely decapitate it in a single hit.

Always kill the leech zombies with fire. Otherwise they will explode after you land the final blow. So if you have to split your characters make sure one has molotov cocktails an the other has incendiary grenades.

Take the hook shot when you go to place the third tablet. You'll need it 3 more times. But dropping it after leaving the observatory won't result in much back tracking.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There's some terrible puzzle with chemical mixing that you need to have Rebecca do or else you get massively hosed over, but I don't remember the location. Look it up or something like that. I know it's lazy advice, but if you screw yourself over it really sucks.

This is why you should always have Rebecca use the Hookshot

Never carry ink cartridges around.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Captain Novolin posted:

Don't discount an elemental weapon because it does less base damage. The elemental modifier adds to that.

Yes, you're going to find a weapon you are going to use for 90% of the game. I am at level 50 and still using a SMG I found at level 20.

Do co-op with someone if possible, but make sure they're not dicks who will steal all the drops.

The game is piss-easy on playthrough 1, and starts getting more difficult on playthrough 2 and 2.5.

Edit: also, respecs are cheap and have almost no penalty, feel free to experiment with skills. You are also not locked in to what weapons your class is supposed to use. I have a berserker that runs around with SMGs and revolvers.

Thanks!!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Can someone point me in the right direction for a starting tutorial for Demon Souls? Theres alot to learn so I don't want to ask.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

casual poster posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction for a starting tutorial for Demon Souls? Theres alot to learn so I don't want to ask.

The first level is a tutorial and practically teaches you 90% of the mechanics. The rest of the mechanics are introduced as you reach the third part of the first world and the most important lesson basically boils down to "Don't fret, you will die."

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

casual poster posted:

If you're playing a female, play offline for a good while. You can get basically the best armor (female only) in the game if you get World 1 to pure white tendency and fight a special boss. Playing online can change the world tendency pretty drastically almost arbitrarily, and you have a limited number of chances to get World 1 to pure white tendency since you can't fight black phantoms there or resurrect blue ones.

I have almost never found a reason to be in body form; dying in a World while in body form lowers the world tendency. Suicide in the Nexus to return to soul form.

Armor level is important, but don't sacrifice mobility for it. If you can't roll smoothly, your armor is too heavy.

As a matter of fact, I would just look at a guide. This is a game where it's very possible to permanently miss a lot of stuff.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I read the wiki, but are there any other things I should know about Shadow of the Colossus? So far I've beaten two colossi, and I'm just running around hunting lizards.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I read the wiki, but are there any other things I should know about Shadow of the Colossus? So far I've beaten two colossi, and I'm just running around hunting lizards.

Eat fruit while you're hunting lizards.

Vortex Lemur
Aug 27, 2003
SOMEONE PM ME, PLEASE! I'M SO DESPERATELY LONELY!!

Captain Novolin posted:

The bonuses from fruit you eat and the lizard tails you pick up carry over to the New Game+, where you can get said fruit and lizards over again.

You can also get a lizard detection stone and fruit tree map by beating some of the time trials on the New Game+.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To whomever was asking for King's Bounty tips, there's a few I should mention:

-Units that summon other units are the best in the game. These include the goblin shaman, dryad, the little vine things (the royal ones are the best), goblin shaman and the axe demon who can summon succubi/imps/cerebus (the succubus is really nice because she can swap any unit, friendly or foe, with any other unit). Dryads can summon about twice their numbers in vines and the royal vines can summon like 30x their number and these powers recharge every 2 rounds. Goblin shaman can drop down totems that heal allies and damage enemies. The AI is pretty dumb and seems to arbitrarily target creatures in order like this: Summoned Monsters (regardless of rank) -> Archers -> -> Rank 1 -> Rank 2 -> etc. The enemy will almost always, without fail, attack summoned creatures first regardless of power or who's surrounding them.

-Sacrifice is the best spell in the game. Unless it's been patched, you can use it to kill an allied unit to replenish another unit to the point where it creates free extras. What this means is you take a cheap, mass produced unit (preferably an infinite spawning one like commoners), sacrifice them, and add to rare units you can't seem to buy anymore.

-In addition to the above, while summoned units can't be targeted by sacrifice, charmed units can. The dryad has a 99% chance to charm most humanoid opponents as does the succubus. Charmed units revert back to hostile eventually so sacrifice them when you have the chance.

-Trap is the second best spell and it's really easy to lure enemies into it by placing a friendly unit one hex away from an enemy, waiting, casting trap in front of them, waiting until the enemy steps on it, then attacking it when the units turn comes up again. Combine this with Glot's Armor against strong enemies to reduce damage. Archmage has a cool ability to move units around so you can basically keep enemies from ever attacking. I've gone through overpowering fights without a single loss simply because it's easy to lure the enemy around.

-Berserk is probably the third best spell. You lose control of the unit but at max level it increases their damage by something like 140%. Cast this on a weak but numerous unit like dryads or commoners. Cast bless on them first for added hilarity.

-Always choose leadership bonuses at level up. It's the sole deciding factor for how large your army can be. There are more items that boost attack, defense, intelligence, rage, and mana so choose leadership whenever you can.

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
i know its a bit old now but can anyone give me a bit of advice with vagrant story?

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

InsanityRocks posted:

i know its a bit old now but can anyone give me a bit of advice with vagrant story?

This came up a few pages back. Not all the tips from the thread have hit the wiki yet, but the most important of them have seemed to. http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/VagrantStory

al-azad
May 28, 2009

InsanityRocks posted:

In addition to previously mentioned tips, you will die. A lot. Always save at every point you come across even when the last time you saved was only 5 minutes ago and always remain above 50% health. This game loves throwing you through a gauntlet of bosses or having a tough boss in the middle of a dungeon, locking the door behind you, then forcing you through a series of enemy filled rooms before reaching a save spot. Stronger enemies will replace weaker ones or spawn in areas that were once safe (especially before a save room, Jesus Christ) and most enemies can take you down in a handful of hits.

Very rewarding game, though, if you manage to stick through it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I picked up King Arthur on Steam recently, got to about turn 65, and gave up because hugely powerful ghost armies and random missions were spawning and spreading -5% population growth everywhere. I was only feeling my way through the game at that point, anyway, trying to see how different it was from the Total War games, but I'm still a bit unsure.

Do I want two or three armies running around, or should each knight command his own host? Why is every single enemy about six times as experienced as the mudraking peasants I can scrape together, even when I put loads of stronghold research into upgrading my troops? Why don't some of my units upgrade when I research their upgrades, while others do? Why does the game make me feel so dumb :saddowns:?

Basically what I'm asking is am I missing some basic concepts when it comes to putting together and using a strong army?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
This ones kind of specific but early on in Jeanne d'Arc on PSP is there any advice for dealing with soul affinity? It seems like more trouble than it's worth since affinity of enemies seems entirely random and you only get 3 buff slots. Should I just not bother?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

RagnarokAngel posted:

This ones kind of specific but early on in Jeanne d'Arc on PSP is there any advice for dealing with soul affinity? It seems like more trouble than it's worth since affinity of enemies seems entirely random and you only get 3 buff slots. Should I just not bother?

This depends on how far you're going to go through the game, and whether you plan on 100 percenting it or not, but by the time you get to a high enough level to defeat the last boss and beyond, your ridiculous wrecking 9 tile tornado spells and such will make mincemeat out of any and everything that matters, and I honestly can't remember affinities making a large, if not noticeable, difference in a fight. If there is one thing you SHOULD focus on it's spells spells spells, particularly those that hit a wide area, as they will make a lot of later bosses, especially the last one, go from ridiculously hard to a simple affair. Always keep at least 2 spellcasters on board, and make sure they stay updated. You'll figure out how to teach spells as you go through the game.

(feel free to correct me as I haven't played the game since the summer of 08)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Captain Novolin posted:

Don't wuss out on the harder ones and check a FAQ. The satisfaction you get figuring 'em out are worth the effort.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If I want to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the sequel, am I better off playing them on the 360 or PC, or does it just come down to which control method I prefer?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If I want to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the sequel, am I better off playing them on the 360 or PC, or does it just come down to which control method I prefer?

Control method.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything i should know before starting Bayonetta?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dongattack posted:

Is there anything i should know before starting Bayonetta?

Don't worry about getting a good score the first time through Normal mode. Just play around, try out all the weapons and have fun. There will be some arcade sections with inverse Y-axis that you can change in the options menu. You can equip some weapons on both hands and feet. If you dodge an attack at the last second, you're going to be invincible for a while - make good use of this. Press select during loading screens to enter training mode. Read the manual.

And for the love of god, don't take the story seriously. Just enjoy the ride.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Renoistic posted:

Don't worry about getting a good score the first time through Normal mode. Just play around, try out all the weapons and have fun. There will be some arcade sections with inverse Y-axis that you can change in the options menu. You can equip some weapons on both hands and feet. If you dodge an attack at the last second, you're going to be invincible for a while - make good use of this. Press select during loading screens to enter training mode. Read the manual.

And for the love of god, don't take the story seriously. Just enjoy the ride.

Also, don't be afraid to backtrack and look around. There's hidden poo poo everywhere.

If you find a broken LP, the rest of the pieces are all in that chapter only. Look around, check walls, they're out there somewhere.

You can change the element on a certain weapon by spinning the left stick and hitting the button that weapon is placed on.

The katana you get early on has a really neat but ultimately useless beam attack you can use by holding RB/R1. Conversely, hold down the punch button to charge a slash that can kill minor enemies in one hit.

You can dodge during a combo without breaking it by holding the button as you dodge and then continuing it. This also works with the aforementioned charged slash.

All your weapons, except a few, can be equipped on your hands or feet. Mix it up and find what you like.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I need some hints on Blood Bowl. I played the board game about 10 years ago, but I'm getting absolutely destroyed by elves in the 360 version. On top of which, I cant seem to get the inducements to work right. I hit "start match" and find that I have 80,000 gold to spend on inducements due to difference in team rating. Everything costs 100,000. So I quit to menu, reload, put 20,000 of my treasury into petty cash and find that I STILL only have 80,000 for inducements.

I'm playing career mode, turn based version, normal difficulty. With a human team. Also, if anyone knows a way to make the camera suck less or to change the size of the on-screen text (short of mounting a magnifying glass on the lower right of my TV, I cant find a single drat display option) that would help too. Enjoying the game even with all that though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been playing it off and on lately, but what are some good tips for Aquaria. Sometimes I find it hard to determine exactly where to go next after obtaining a new power.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Been playing it off and on lately, but what are some good tips for Aquaria. Sometimes I find it hard to determine exactly where to go next after obtaining a new power.

Basically the only way I know how to do this is just annotate the map with every thing you see that looks like a "gate." It's usually pretty obvious when you encounter a path you can't take because you can't swim fast enough or see in the dark, so write it down when you see it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyone have any tips for Persona (on the PSP, if that makes a difference)? The wiki has every other persona game but this one. Stuff like chatting up demons, what to fuse, anything to look out for, etc. Fusions are freakin' complicated in this one.

I know about the Ice Queen side-quest/side-game.

Edit: Should I fuse new personae as soon as I can, or wait until I need some, or what? Never sure about this. Also when is a good time to trade in Rank 8 personae?

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 21, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Can I get some advice about item management in Dragon Age? What should I be selling? What should I be keeping? Is money even all that important?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

thegloaming posted:

Can I get some advice about item management in Dragon Age? What should I be selling? What should I be keeping? Is money even all that important?

Sell any weapon or armor you're not using, you gain nothing by holding onto it. Any item that just has flavor text and isn't a gift like merchant contracts and gems is just selling fodder it only exists for that purpose. Save garnets though for a quest I think you need like 10.

Consumables that reduce damage types are very useful on higher difficulty levels. On normal or easy you can just sell them.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Any advice for Cross Edge? Especially about setting up the party and what I might want to spend stat points on. I can't seem to find any new branch combos either. Every battle is pretty much Morrigan and Miko cleaning house while no one else has anything productive to do.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thegloaming posted:

Look up a list of unique items. Sell everything else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Crossing over from the "Poorly-received Games You're Glad You Played," any advice on Star Ocean: Till the End of Time?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Halloween Jack posted:

Crossing over from the "Poorly-received Games You're Glad You Played," any advice on Star Ocean: Till the End of Time?

Never play it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SpazmasterX posted:

Never play it.

This is pretty sound advice.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Play it while hanging out with friends amd mock it mercilessly as you do. It's a blast, then.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Okay, real advice:

Play Tales of Vesperia instead.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SpazmasterX posted:

Never play it.

Ragequit posted:

This is pretty sound advice.

They're not just being assholes; they're entirely correct. Please, don't play that game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GeneralFai posted:

They're not just being assholes; they're entirely correct. Please, don't play that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Backhand posted:

Play it while hanging out with friends amd mock it mercilessly as you do. It's a blast, then.

This is solid advice. Sitting by yourself, it's a lot of "these people are paid to voice act?!" With friends you can at least spend a good chunk of time mocking Lymle for being constantly completely baked. And you get a catgirl, robot man, angel-girl, and uh... I don't know what she is yet, we just call her 'Boobs'. Oh, Japan!