Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

writequit posted:

Do you have higher resolution photos of your basement you could email me? There are a few ideas that I love that I want to show my wife for our basement renovation. Great job.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Here's my setup:

Any suggestions as to what to put in these shelves? We've just a few random candles and that sort of thing in there for now. Once I get a surround ssytem I'll put the front speaker on the top shelf, but for now it looks a little bland, or a little random.

Any thoughts?

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
More N64 games.

writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord

mcsuede posted:

Do you have higher resolution photos of your basement you could email me? There are a few ideas that I love that I want to show my wife for our basement renovation. Great job.

Sure, no problem.

Play along at home!

Content: The basement's existing home theater seating just had to go:

writequit fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 18, 2010

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

writequit posted:

Sure, no problem.

Play along at home!

Great project! One thing about that dryer vent, you may want to run rigid aluminum 4" pipe vs. that long of a flexible pipe. There are some fire restrictions/etc about running something like that through the floor/cabinets with that length of flexible pipe. You can google for it, but more here: http://www.dryerbox.com/dryer_venting_guide.htm

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

writequit posted:

Sure, no problem.

Play along at home!

That was an awesome set of pictures.

Not an AV question, but what did you do to the bricks to make them shiny like that? I like that look alot.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

writequit posted:

Actually you should retain that seat and reserve it for the last person to arrive at a movie session. They have to sit on the seat for holding up the movie.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Devian666 posted:

Actually you should retain that seat and reserve it for the last person to arrive at a movie session. They have to sit on the seat for holding up the movie.

When I saw it all I could think was that it would make a good drinks cooler, just fill it up with ice.

As long as its still plumbed in of course.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

writequit posted:

Sure, no problem.

Play along at home!

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Mind editing my email out of your quote? Thanks again, your place looks great.

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo

Cleaned it up a little! :D

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

are you using those KRK's for front speakers on the TV or just for your gear?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Candleshire posted:

Cleaned it up a little!
I'll assume that your speakers are shielded or your hard drive would have already been wiped. How many times has your laptop fallen?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

falz posted:

I'll assume that your speakers are shielded or your hard drive would have already been wiped.

Contrary to popular belief, this is almost impossible to actually make happen. Hard drives need a very high-intensity, localized magnetic field to get the bits to flip, and magnetic field strength falls off in an inverse relation to the distance cubed.

So you'd basically need to take the hard drive right out of the laptop and stick it on the back of the voice coil to have a good chance of causing actual data loss.

writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord

usurper posted:

Great project! One thing about that dryer vent, you may want to run rigid aluminum 4" pipe vs. that long of a flexible pipe. There are some fire restrictions/etc about running something like that through the floor/cabinets with that length of flexible pipe. You can google for it, but more here: http://www.dryerbox.com/dryer_venting_guide.htm

Thanks much — added to my to-do list — should be an easy fix.

Praesil posted:

Not an AV question, but what did you do to the bricks to make them shiny like that? I like that look alot.

The bricks took two days and a half dozen braided grinding wheels with an angle grinder. The paint they'd been covered with was resistant to the the few chemicals I half-heartedly tried. It's not a proper (much more intensive) brick re-pointing, as I was going for the old-and-abused look anyway. The bricks are ~100 years old, and interestingly completely inconsistent. Some would take an entire wheel and not show any damage (or ablate the paint-saturated surface), others got chewed up by the grinder and cleaned with one pass.

Then I just hit the wall with a few coats of simple rattle-can spray urethane to give it some warmth. The urethane is scientifically engineered to tighten up the acoustic imaging in the water closet and really bring the soundstage right out front, I noticed the timbral improvement immediately. Flush! It's like being there!

writequit fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 18, 2010

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Many of you have very beautiful setups that make me want to spend my precious money.

Mines very modest. I recently mounted my tv, which makes me want to go bigger now :( Either way, im very happy with the results.

My job leaves me with very little time to tinker, so my wires are still a hot mess. I had the onkyo setup as 3.1 for the first few weeks.

TV: 32" 720p Vizio
Audio: Onkyo HTS5200
Compnents: Ps3 + Pc

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo

Photex posted:

are you using those KRK's for front speakers on the TV or just for your gear?

KRKs for the dvd player :D. Works pretty well since they're so colored. I need to figure out a center channel though - but i'm not using a receiver yet. Gotta find one that fits in my cramped credenza thing

Candleshire fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 18, 2010

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
This is a lot more A than V, but this is where I do the majority of my listening; at work. It is pretty simple. External hdd ---> iTunes ---> Bel Canto DAC ---> ATC SCM 10.

My view

To my left, easy access to volume control.

I rip everything using Apple Lossless. I was debating whether to buy an iPod classic in lieu of the portable hdd, and use the wadia ipod dock I already have with it, but $250 for 160 gigs lost out to $100 for 320 gigs. So here I am.

Sounds lovely.

I will post my home A/V setup once I take some decent photos of it. I am also about to set up my home office system and will take pics and post it once I get it all done, and figure out everything I am actually going to use in there.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Posted before, but Ive made changes.

Runco XP-50DHD
Integra DHC 9.9
Genelec with Velodyne HGS 12 subwoofer 5.1 system
PS3
Popcorn Hour
AppleTV
Wii
Comcast HD DVR
Universal MX980 Remote

sorry for the lousy pics, still setting up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Bigsteve posted:

When I saw it all I could think was that it would make a good drinks cooler, just fill it up with ice.

As long as its still plumbed in of course.

Use a kids paddling pool for that. Add water, ice and 500 ml beer cans.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Finally got started on what I've been wanting to do for a while. Just need to hide some cables and get a 7.1 receiver with HDMI and I'll be done. Everything is component for the moment, which is fine with me, but I'd rather reduce the cables if I can and the receiver doesn't have enough component inputs anyway so I have to the DVD player direct to the projector.

Onkyo 6.1 receiver
Onkyo 7.1 surround speaker pack
Sony DVD with SACD
XBOX
JVC VCR
Sanyo DTV converter
Sanyo PLV Z60
Draper Salara M 92" screen

The old phonograph and floor speakers aren't in operation at the moment, but they work and will be used once I get them cleaned up. I'll put up some more pictures next month after I've finished everything. Oh and the walls look that way because they're the original cheesecloth from when this place was built over eighty years ago and it hasn't been maintained very well. I'm putting in sheetrock once the landlords get around to agreeing to pay for the supplies.

The retro corner, for when I want to watch tv and not run the projector.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 24, 2010

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Pioneer Plasma and JBL Center

Left side: Side and Rear in-wall surrounds

Right side: Side and Rear in-wall surrounds

Front left HLS-810, Klipsch SUB-12, JBL S Center

Front right HLS-810, Equipment rack

Equipment Rack

Equipment Rack

The setup:

Display:
Pioneer KURO PDP-5020FD 50" Plasma Television

Equipment Rack:
Pioneer VSX-1018-AH-K AV Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-Ray Player
XBox 360 Elite w/ HD-DVD Player
Nintendo Wii
APC UPS 1500 Uninterruptible Power Supply
Verizon FIOS Motorola HD DVR
D-Link DGL 4500 Wireless N Router
Verizon FIOS Actiontec Router

Speakers:
JBL S Series Center channel speaker
2x JBL HLS-810 Front left and right
4x JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-wall surrounds Side and Rear lefts and rights
Klipsch SUB-12 Subwoofer

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 27, 2010

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Huge_Midget posted:

Pioneer KURO PDP-5020FD 50" Plasma Television

Equipment Rack:
Pioneer VSX-1018-AH-K AV Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-Ray Player
XBox 360 Elite w/ HD-DVD Player
Nintendo Wii
APC UPS 1500 Uninterruptible Power Supply
Verizon FIOS Motorola HD DVR
D-Link DGL 4500 Wireless N Router
Verizon FIOS Actiontec Router

Speakers:
JBL S Series Center channel speaker
2x JBL HLS-810 Front left and right
4x JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-wall surrounds Side and Rear lefts and rights
Klipsch SUB-12 Subwoofer

Your equipment isn't bad at all, but the way it is all displayed and your color choices for your walls and decorative choices are absolutely top notch.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Did you do the work yourself or have an A/V company come in?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I did all the work myself. Thanks for the compliments on the color choices and design, my fiance was freaking out when I told her I wanted green in the great room, she thought it would be too dark. We built the house a little over a year ago. Before they put the drywall up, I went in and ran all the wiring for the side and rear surrounds, and ran wiring for the speaker wall plates for the fronts and center channel. I ran a pair of HDMI cables through the wall to behind where the TV is. My only complaint is that the electrician put the power outlet for the TV too far down the wall, I was hoping they'd put it up higher so that the TV would hide it. The whole setup is 7.1, HDMI 1.3a compliant. Overall I am really happy with it, it sounds great and looks great (KURO plasmas are still the best looking displays, IMO). In another 10 years when we build our dream home, I'll have a basement in which to do a real home theater, and you can believe me I'll be going all out on that.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Those in-wall speakers are awesome, niiiiiiiiice!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Here are some other pictures before the house was painted. Mostly with the speaker grills off. I'll try to find the pictures of the walls before the drywall went up so you can see the wiring in the studs.

JBL S Center

JBL HLS-810 Right Front

JBL SoundPoint SP8II Right side surround and rear

JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-wall up close. Four of these make up the surrounds and rears. It's hard to tell but the tweeter driver assembly is actually gimballed in a ball-socket design, thus allowing for the tweeter to be aimed in any direction you'd like. So even though the speakers are mounted on flat walls, you can still have very directional aiming of the sound.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Pioneer Plasma and JBL Center

Does the power outlet tuck in behind the TV or is it always hanging out like that? Everything looks really nice, but that outlet being visible would annoy the poo poo out of me what with having everything nicely run through the walls and concealed.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Reggie Died posted:

Does the power outlet tuck in behind the TV or is it always hanging out like that? Everything looks really nice, but that outlet being visible would annoy the poo poo out of me what with having everything nicely run through the walls and concealed.

Huge_Midget posted:

My only complaint is that the electrician put the power outlet for the TV too far down the wall, I was hoping they'd put it up higher so that the TV would hide it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
That's not an outlet showing in the picture, it's a power strip. Unless maybe that is some kind of direct plugin surge protector or something. Regardless, I would do whatever it takes to fix that. Everything else looks so nice.

asari
Jul 8, 2008

Legdiian posted:

That's not an outlet showing in the picture, it's a power strip. Unless maybe that is some kind of direct plugin surge protector or something. Regardless, I would do whatever it takes to fix that. Everything else looks so nice.

If it is a direct plugin surge i would switch it to a surge with a power cord and a flat connector so it at least looks a little better. Also you should of had the electrican come back and fix it. Totally unacceptable to have it that low.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Yeah it is a direct plug in Monster surge protector. I might have to see if I can flip the outlet 180 degrees so that it doesn't stick out so much.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Huge_Midget posted:

Monster

Sucker.

Joking aside though, why not get something with a cord that you could hang on the wall back there out of sight?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Huge_Midget:

How do you like your Synergy Sub-12? I'm in the market of replacing my Harmon Kardon HK12 sub, and the model you have is on the top of my list.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

fahrvergnugen posted:

Sucker.

Joking aside though, why not get something with a cord that you could hang on the wall back there out of sight?

Friends that work at Best Buy = Monster equipment at employee prices. I might have to look into getting a flush corded power strip to run to the mount.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Huge_Midget:

How do you like your Synergy Sub-12? I'm in the market of replacing my Harmon Kardon HK12 sub, and the model you have is on the top of my list.

The Sub 12 is awesome for the price. It was designed by Deion Bearden, who has a reputation for making awesome subs. The greatroom that my home theater is in is 18' x 18' with vaulted ceilings and I only have the sub at 20% gain and it is more than enough to fill the space with meaty bass. It is awesome for home theater applications and decent for music. If you do a lot of music listening, you might want to go for a sealed subwoofer design.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Huge_Midget posted:

Friends that work at Best Buy = Monster equipment at employee prices. I might have to look into getting a flush corded power strip to run to the mount.

So you only paid 2x what it's worth instead of 8x. Gotcha.

Not sure how the plug works on that particular strip you've got, but could you just get a 1' extension cord and use that?

brenter
Dec 15, 2004
Hey guys, whoa, big gulps huh? Alright. Well see ya later.
I just bought a house and got this new TV, so here's my basic setup, although I still need to do a better job of hiding the cables. Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with the speakers so they don't stand out so much? The TV has to go in the corner based on the design of the room.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

brenter posted:

I just bought a house and got this new TV, so here's my basic setup, although I still need to do a better job of hiding the cables. Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with the speakers so they don't stand out so much? The TV has to go in the corner based on the design of the room.

Pull the TV stand forward a foot so there's a 6" gap between each wall and the stand. Then the speakers will be perfectly beside the TV. Fixed!

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

A rack power conditioner is on it's way for the top slot there and some cable management pieces are still in transit, but the rough setup is representative of what will be the final outcome:

Yeah I just rackmounted my 360.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

luma posted:

Yeah I just rackmounted my 360.

I rackmounted my 360, my PS3 and my Wii. Do I win? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Legdiian posted:

I rackmounted my 360, my PS3 and my Wii. Do I win? :)

Yup! What are those boxes on the top?