Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Chenghiz posted:

Which numbers are you looking at? I can't figure out what H, T and W are supposed to mean with regards to outer and inner diameter.

ok nevermind I was looking at the wrong columns

H - outer diameter of tube
W - inner diameter of tube
T - thickness of tube

I'm not 100% certain of these, but this is the only way it makes sense. A 3/32 rod would NOT fit in a 1/8 tube. You're going to want a 5/64ths, if you can find one. 1/16" would also work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Question on rhino side doors, whats the best way to set them up so that they can still be opened?

This is the best (and only) tutorial I've seen: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=35817&hl=rhino+doors

MasterSlowPoke posted:

ok nevermind I was looking at the wrong columns

H - outer diameter of tube
W - inner diameter of tube
T - thickness of tube

I'm not 100% certain of these, but this is the only way it makes sense. A 3/32 rod would NOT fit in a 1/8 tube. You're going to want a 5/64ths, if you can find one. 1/16" would also work.

Alright, any idea of how to actually order it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hobby Town USA usually stocks them. They don't do online orders so I hope there is one nearby.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Chenghiz posted:

This is the best (and only) tutorial I've seen: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=35817&hl=rhino+doors

This is a very good tutorial. I didn't do the side doors on my rhinos but I'm tempted to do the upper doors as per this tutorial, just so I don't lose them.

I get my plasticard from EMA Models in the UK. Remember VAT is added at the checkout.

Enri, if you do get round to more casting, share your experience as well, I'm tempted to make the next set of bases fit for casting.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
I just bought some paints from http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/index.php and they arrived really quickly (in fact I ordered on the 13th and it arrived on the 15th) and well packaged...I can only assume they will be just as prompted with other orders but they have a huge range of models and hobby equipment. I need to use them a few times before I recommend them, but for a first order I was definately impressed! :)

This is a heads up for UK goons!

They also sell Plasticard under the GF9 stuff I think.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Morham posted:

I just bought some paints from http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/index.php and they arrived really quickly (in fact I ordered on the 13th and it arrived on the 15th) and well packaged...I can only assume they will be just as prompted with other orders but they have a huge range of models and hobby equipment. I need to use them a few times before I recommend them, but for a first order I was definately impressed! :)

This is a heads up for UK goons!

They also sell Plasticard under the GF9 stuff I think.

I've started ordering bits from there recently, good service overall but my goodies took a little while to turn up (but I think everywhere was having the same issues with the particular range of minis)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Very interesting. How long do you think that resin will last you?

I'm only making bases, so it should last me a good long time. I've made 16 bases so far, and I still have 85-90% of the resin left. Bigger molds will, of course, use more, but they do sell the resin by itself outside the kit.

Captain Invictus posted:

Sole Sushi you need Plat :argh:
What's that? :shobon:

enri posted:

Almost forgot to mention this before, but if anyone finds this kit or the equivalent available in the UK, let me know :v:

I've done some mold making before but because I couldn't find a starter 'kit' then I only got so far as buying a bunch of silicone and making molds. Never got round to sourcing decent resin in manageable quantities to cast in. I ended up doing practice casts in plaster :3:

http://www.nigellawton009.com/PayPalCasting.html

Booya.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Chenghiz posted:

Sweetness, Might be a lot tougher with the rhinos already built but I'm sure I can finagle it.

I think this has likely been discussed already but what would be a good white primer aside from spray paint, I live in upstate new york and its too cold to spray outside and my past experiences with black spray undercoats was horrible. I know someone mentioned gesso (spelling?) but I have no idea where to find that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Sweetness, Might be a lot tougher with the rhinos already built but I'm sure I can finagle it.

I think this has likely been discussed already but what would be a good white primer aside from spray paint, I live in upstate new york and its too cold to spray outside and my past experiences with black spray undercoats was horrible. I know someone mentioned gesso (spelling?) but I have no idea where to find that.

Check any art supply store. Gesso is primer intended for painting canvas, so any place that sells blank canvases will sell gesso.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sole.Sushi posted:

What's that? :shobon:

Plat is the forums upgrade that allows you to do stuff like Private Message people and things. It's very handy and is :10bux:

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Cakefool: is this the sort of compass cutter you've got? http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/products/cutting_and_sticking/linex_compass_cutter_.htm

Also, looking at the close up of your base, the treadplate plasticard from Antenociti is the same as you've used.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Combaticus posted:

Cakefool: is this the sort of compass cutter you've got? http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/products/cutting_and_sticking/linex_compass_cutter_.htm

Also, looking at the close up of your base, the treadplate plasticard from Antenociti is the same as you've used.

That's better than mine. Mine has no built-in rule & the deeper horizontal arm section means that is less likely to distort & spiral in on smaller circles.
Antenociti treadplate is like 1/2 the price I paid for mine. I was struggling to find it at a reasonable price.

edit:VV next base idea generated. Loading STC subtemplate now...

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Speaking of home made bases, check this out:

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity_ENG/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=164&func=view&id=12346&catid=20

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Plat is the forums upgrade that allows you to do stuff like Private Message people and things. It's very handy and is :10bux:

Ah, right. Just got it a bit ago. Try again with the PM.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I need to work on my lighting situation, but until then what do you think of my first few Word Bearer CSMs? Also my first go at basing, and "worn armor" look.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

(WIP - Still need to do the "living" parts of him)

(WIP - Hawk Lords free hand)

Dammit I hate how my paint jobs always look like poo poo in pictures :argh:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Do you have a collection of your Hawk Lord photos? I know someone who's interested in painting his dudes in that scheme.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Do you have a collection of your Hawk Lord photos? I know someone who's interested in painting his dudes in that scheme.

I could snap some of my low-light lovely quality, but anything would help I assume. Gimme a few minutes.

edit: imagine these with the paint thinned ;)

Liche Purple, Shining Gold, Devlan Mud. Highlight wherever. I never got around to it.

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 16, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sole.Sushi posted:

Ah, right. Just got it a bit ago. Try again with the PM.

quote:

Sole.Sushi has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
:saddowns:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Sweet jesus, how the hell did you even begin to read that page? It's like someone, somehow, managed a create a web based migraine creator.

unghhhh... although, thanks for that, no amount of clever googling found it from this end :)

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Bah so I'm painting some Lizardmen Skinks and I realized I have no clue how to highlight black. My skinks are black with yellow scales and crests, but the flat black just really isn't working for me and I feel I should try and highlight it. I have a pretty good selection of greys and washes, so does anybody know a good way to highlight black amphibian-ish skin? I'm looking for a shiny black look in the end, so maybe just blend up really extreme at some pointy parts like the elbows? Highlighting red scales has been tough enough, I just have no idea where to go with this black. I can try and get some pics if it'd help at all, but it's pretty much just black primer with bright yellow scales and crests.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

MarionetteOwl posted:

Bah so I'm painting some Lizardmen Skinks and I realized I have no clue how to highlight black. My skinks are black with yellow scales and crests, but the flat black just really isn't working for me and I feel I should try and highlight it. I have a pretty good selection of greys and washes, so does anybody know a good way to highlight black amphibian-ish skin? I'm looking for a shiny black look in the end, so maybe just blend up really extreme at some pointy parts like the elbows? Highlighting red scales has been tough enough, I just have no idea where to go with this black. I can try and get some pics if it'd help at all, but it's pretty much just black primer with bright yellow scales and crests.

Depends on the look you're going for. If you want a neutral colour, highlight with grey. If you want a warm tone to complement the yellow, try highlighting with a dark red like scab red. If you want a cool tone, try highlighting with a dark blue like shadow grey.

If the highlight ends up being too bright, use a black wash over it to tone it down (or just mix the highlight colour with black).

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

enri posted:

Sweet jesus, how the hell did you even begin to read that page? It's like someone, somehow, managed a create a web based migraine creator.

unghhhh... although, thanks for that, no amount of clever googling found it from this end :)

No idea what's up with the formatting, but it is what you were looking for. Beggars can't be choosers and whatnot. :v:

Also, Captain Invictus I had my PM turned off. Didn't know you needed to turn them on once one upgrades. Have at it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sole Sushi did you do a tutorial on sculpting fur earlier? I need to give someone a wolf hat.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

No, I don't believe that I did, but I most certainly can. Fur is pretty easy to do.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Until Sole gets around to it, here are a few I have handy:
http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=1696
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=400029&pIndex=11&aId=1200005&start=12
http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8ebd4c7b802ffb9c3ee5a36e2ac89b%20a6&topic=3946.0

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

The Saddest Robot posted:

God every time I see this loving picture I cringe.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

People wanted Spiderfexes so I guess GW's gonna tap that market.

Anphrax posted:

Hawk Lords

Thanks. Have you figured out what to do about the chapter markings on the shoulder pad?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Thanks. Have you figured out what to do about the chapter markings on the shoulder pad?

Not really. I was given three boxes of SMs from the the AoBR boxes so I didn't really feel that they deserved that much work ;)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

How the gently caress do you paint a Valkyrie or any other large vehicle without all the paint on the edges rubbing off from your goony loving hands

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gloves?

Might help with the oils.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I put up more pics of my SH->CSM termies on EoW.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Crosspost from indie game thread, my Malli-Foos I got together for my first game:

Wyrd produces some pretty sweet models, check out their Malifaux gallery.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tried Montana Gold Army Green as a spray basecoat over a black undercoat today, as an alternative for my usual Catachan Green. Has an odd shiny look in places, but that might be where I applied too much. When the weather warms up I think I'll use it to do the rest of my Gaunts, and probably my Trygon.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Arlaharen posted:

Crosspost from indie game thread, my Malli-Foos I got together for my first game:

Wyrd produces some pretty sweet models, check out their Malifaux gallery.

The gently caress is this game and how can I play it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

shotgunbadger posted:

The gently caress is this game and how can I play it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037

and some actual painting:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Loving it, especially those daggers, PV.

Also here is a new vindicator I finished:

Stupid side decal gave me so much trouble for some reason, and is still not quite right. Just gonna deal with it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I love the Blue Warpstone PV. Also Arlaharen where did you get those bases?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PaintVagrant posted:

Looking good. Keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it someday! :rimshot:

*SECRET UNQUENCHABLE ENVY*

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
That's an awesome Snikch. The Skaven have some really nice sculpts.

No Pun Intended posted:

I love the Blue Warpstone PV. Also Arlaharen where did you get those bases?

Power Plant bases from Micro Art Studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Arlaharen posted:

Power Plant bases from Micro Art Studio.

Some neat pieces on that site. I'm going to have to grab some of these for some custom conversions. See much orky potential there:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/iron-brotherhood-ltru02-p-172.html

I... I don't know what to think of this though...
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-death-with-guitar-p-236.html

Or "Get off my lawn you drat kids!!!" the barbarian. Dual wielding a sword and cane
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-cohen-barbarian-p-237.html

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 18, 2010

• Locked thread