Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Interrupting Moss posted:

Additionally

Like being able to control focus and DOF
or see your composition in daylight
or not kill your night vision
or have significant battery life

Why wouldn't you be able to control DOF on a E-P1 or other Micro 4/3 camera? They use the same sensors as normal 4/3 cameras which are perfectly able to achieve a shallow DOF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I wonder what brand of camera this was? Any guesses?

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/01/15/consumer-lost-camera.html

quote:

An Australian man who found a camera washed up on a Queensland beach in October is crediting Facebook and his own dogged sleuthing with helping him track down the Ontario owners six weeks later.

David Castellan said the bright pink camera was covered in barnacles and had been in the ocean for about nine months, judging by the time-stamps on the photos.

"My instant reaction was, 'OK, if I lost my camera, I'd really like it if someone tried to return my photos, because although they meant nothing to me, they probably meant a lot to them,'" Castellan said in an interview Thursday with CBC Radio's As It Happens.

"They looked like they were in love. There was a lot of photos of 'I love you' drawn in the sand, and pictures of them holding hands, shadows on the beach."

Castellan's quest began with a simple analysis of some of the 292 photos in the camera.

"The guy had a pretty distinctive tattoo on his back, a large crucifix and the Italian flag, and I thought they must be from Italy," he said. "And I went down that path for a while, and then the further I looked into the photos, I suddenly realized, 'Hang on, they might be Canadian.'"
Beer gives it away

The brands of alcohol apparent in the photos were a clue, he said.

"Alcohol that people drink is a big giveaway," Castellan said. "And there were a lot of Canadian drinks, a lot of Canadian beer, and yes, the snow was a giveaway."

He also noticed shopping bags with the logo for Montreal-based Le Chateau.

"I thought maybe these people are actually French Canadian and are not Italian after all. The further I looked the more things I found."

The next step was to narrow down where in Canada they might live, which proved just as difficult.

"I didn't realize how big Canada was. And I had a look and I thought they could be anywhere."

His friends recommended trying Facebook, so Castellan started a group on the social networking website, which he called "Do You Know This Couple." The Facebook move brought its own challenges.

"The problem with (Facebook) groups is you have to invite people to join, and unless you know people from Canada it's not going to go anywhere," he said. "So then I just started making random friends with anyone from Canada, especially French Canadians, 'Hey be my friend.'

"And I just started joining groups, any groups that were Canadian-related, like, 'Operation Bring the Spice Girls to Canada,' 'I'm Canadian I can outdrink Americans Anyday,' 'Young drivers against new Ontario law.'"
Photos checked more closely

This effort, too, went nowhere, so Castellan returned to the photos, looking for clues he might have missed.

There was an impressive bridge, and after googling bridges of Canada, then bridges of North America, he learned it was the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan. He guessed the couple were from Ontario and focused his searches there.

Another productive clue was a Christmas photo of a gift book, Karaoke World Domination, on which someone had written an inscription and the name Katey on it.

On Dec. 1, someone on Facebook saw the photo and recommended Castellan narrow his search to communities around Toronto, where karaoke was popular.

On Dec. 19, Castellan got this posting to the photo.

"i'm katey!!!!!!!!"

That day, as emails were traded, he located the camera's owner, a woman named Heather Irvine.

"Mystery Solved!~ Thanks for tracking us down," she wrote.

And what did she think of Castellan's efforts to find her?

"She was thankful, but I think she was more surprised, and really blown out that the camera was found, that the photos were OK and that someone took the time to track her down," said Castellan, who mailed Irvine the camera card.

And his thoughts on being a sleuth?

"It feels great to finally track you crazy kids down," he wrote on the Facebook site, "but now i feel kinda lost — i need another mystery to solve scooby."

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

I wonder what brand of camera this was? Any guesses?

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/01/15/consumer-lost-camera.html

The guy who found it posted in the comments, said it was an Olympus Stylus Tough:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1483

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Augmented Dickey posted:

Why wouldn't you be able to control DOF on a E-P1 or other Micro 4/3 camera? They use the same sensors as normal 4/3 cameras which are perfectly able to achieve a shallow DOF.
It's difficult to control what you can't see (in an electronic viewfinder).

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I have a friend who's wife is in the "If I have a more expensive camera, I will take better pictures" crowd. To her, expensive camera always ends up meaning "entry level DSLR" and she still ends up taking terrible pictures.

I have a feeling this is most entry level DSLR buyers and it used to piss me off. If you're not going to ever take the drat thing out of AUTO, why are you buying it?

Then I realized that the more people that bought DSLRs, even if they were terrible photographers who used the camera as a crutch, the more the prices on DSLRs would drop, and the more likely it was that someone would eventually fire sale price a camera I wanted on eBay or Craig's list.

So, buy on uninformed consumers! Keep thinking that it is the camera that takes the great pictures and not the photographer!

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I love those people, they subsidize the R&D.

If only they would buy H3's....

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

brad industry posted:

I love those people, they subsidize the R&D.

If only they would buy H3's....

That's the next level isn't it? I need to start e-mailing the people I know who are like this.

"See these professional quality pictures? Do you know what kind of camera they use? Here is a link. Its called a Hasselblad. 50 megapixels. FIFTY! Think of how excellent your photos would look at FIFTY megapixels! Think of how envious all of the other soccer moms are going to be when you pull up in your Hybrid SUV and a FIFTY megapixel camera. FIFTY!

Think of all your friends and their 10.1 megapixel cameras. You could have a single camera that has as many megapixels as five of your friends. FIFTY! Plus, the name recognition on these cameras is amazing. Its like driving a Jaguar or BMW. In fact, think of this as the BMW of cameras. I'm sure that if BMW made a camera, it would look like a Hasselblad H3 and its fifty megapixels of photo perfection.

As always, when you get tired of the pictures the H3 puts out because they aren't as good as the magazine photographers, I'll give you $300 for it."

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The reason the medium format digital stuff is so expensive is almost no one actually buys them. Everyone gets it from a rental house, outsources it through their digital tech, or puts them on a lease from Phase One. Or if they do buy it, they get a used P20 or P25 and never think about upgrading unless it breaks.

90% of the time when I digital tech it's a P20 stuck on a Mamiya or Contax and that's a good enough file to do basically anything.

It is fun working with a brand new H3D+P45 rental though.

I'm pretty sure my next camera upgrade in a year or two is going to be a P20/P25 to stick on my 500c/m. The used prices have dropped to not much more than what a 5Dmk2 is new, at that point it doesn't make sense to me to stick with 35mm.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

The reason the medium format digital stuff is so expensive is almost no one actually buys them. Everyone gets it from a rental house, outsources it through their digital tech, or puts them on a lease from Phase One. Or if they do buy it, they get a used P20 or P25 and never think about upgrading unless it breaks.

90% of the time when I digital tech it's a P20 stuck on a Mamiya or Contax and that's a good enough file to do basically anything.

It is fun working with a brand new H3D+P45 rental though.

I'm pretty sure my next camera upgrade in a year or two is going to be a P20/P25 to stick on my 500c/m. The used prices have dropped to not much more than what a 5Dmk2 is new, at that point it doesn't make sense to me to stick with 35mm.

I understand you'd mostly be shooting with lights at iso 80/100 whatever is base, but how do you find the dynamic range on the older backs?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
It's several stops better than 35mm because of the larger sensor size. I believe the original 5D is around 8-9 stops whereas a P20+ is 12 (and the newer backs are more like 13 especially on the H3D).

Bigger sensor = better everything, even if the pixel size is equivalent.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
For you aspiring drug cartel photographers out there, VBSTV has a pretty cool interview with Pablo Escobar's personal photographer. Not so much about the technical aspects of photography or anything, but it's an interesting look into their personal lives through photographs.

http://www.vbs.tv/newsroom/el-chino--2

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If I ever win the lottery, I'm totally getting a Phase One 645DF and P65+ back. For concert photography.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Want to upgrade to an AF Mamiya 645, but I'm trying to tell myself I should hold out for an AFD-2 or AFD-3 body so I can use a proper digital back on it.

Then I realize I'll never in a million years be able to justify a digital back and I get all depressed :(

On the upside, 645AF and AFD bodies are getting cheaper every day, so hey -- at least I can shoot 120 at 3200 with AF :3:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

well wait those million years and maybe sensor prices will go down. :)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

guidoanselmi posted:

well wait those million years and maybe sensor prices will go down. :)

Shame it'll be somewhere close to that since sensor size doesn't increase nearly at the same pace as other technology.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

JaundiceDave posted:

Shame it'll be somewhere close to that since sensor size doesn't increase nearly at the same pace as other technology.

Other technology doesn't cost as much to update to the newest at a reasonable pace. I can buy a computer with amazing performance improvements every 2 years, but it only costs me $1,200 or so. Think about how much money you have in gear that wouldn't work with a larger format...

But yeah, the weekend I got to use a P45+...god drat, what an amazing sensor. I felt very strange walking around Chicago with a single camera, lens, and digital back worth more than I make in a year. Street photography isn't easy, everyone is like WTF ARE YOU POINTING AT ME!?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I really wish DSLRs were built with with an eye toward being upgraded. Though, I would assume the sensor is a major factor in the cost, so there may not be any sort of cost savings.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

squidflakes posted:

I really wish DSLRs were built with with an eye toward being upgraded. Though, I would assume the sensor is a major factor in the cost, so there may not be any sort of cost savings.

I actually read an article not too long ago about a team at Stanford making a modular/upgradable DSLR. So it's in our future.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Quick question in case anyone can remember off the top of their head...there's a photographer, I can't remember his name, that did this awesome picture of the Queen in front of a British flag, where she's smiling quite a lot, and the whole thing just seems so out of character for her. I can't for the life of me find it though. Anyone know what I"m on about?

Edit: NVM, gottit, Robert Rankin.

Pantsmaster Bill fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/RicohGXR/

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I know how much you all love Ken Rockwell but my god this is some of his best work yet

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/everything-sucks.htm

Hes just trolling us now

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008

Fists Up posted:

I know how much you all love Ken Rockwell but my god this is some of his best work yet

Hes just trolling us now

Ken Rockwell posted:

When I shoot a real camera, I drop in my film, shoot it, drop it off at the lab, and then drop the slides in my projector. I'm done, and get fantastic colors with no work.

Ditto for prints. I get my film back, and have 39 perfect prints on a roll of 36, complete with negatives for back-up. If I want digital files, I check the box for Pictures on CD, and I'm done.

ahahaha. As a former lab monkey, you're tripping balls if you trust them completely.

Beer Coaster
Jul 30, 2002

I read that and just kept thinking:

Some more K-Rock gems:

"[img posted:

http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/Dorkroom-K-ROCK.gif[/img]"]
The 2000s were the DSLR decade. Those days are over. DSLRs are about as relevant today as dial-up modems and SCSI-conected scanners,

The 2010s are the decade DSLRs died.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Beer Coaster posted:

I read that and just kept thinking:

I must be getting old, cause I agree with about 70% of that article.

Though almost nothing he says about photography.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
I had heard all the jokes (warnings) about Ken Rockwell, so I had never bothered to actually read anything he says, just browsed his lovely pictures. Now that I've taken the time to read something from him, I realize that he is, indeed, the biggest twat in the entire universe.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fists Up posted:

Hes just trolling us now

ugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Well the fluorescent light stuff is interesting. My no-touch voltage detector goes crazy around fluorescent lights, yet something with 240+volts has to be pretty close.

I always thought it had something to do with photons.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

spog posted:

I must be getting old, cause I agree with about 70% of that article.

Though almost nothing he says about photography.
The aspect ratio/4:3 center-cut complaints are garbage. What is it about so many people that they can't just ignore black/grey bars? Pretend your HDTV is 4:3 and make some little old-school theatre curtains to draw in on the sides for 4:3 shows if it truly bothers you so much that everything isn't the same shape as Your TV.

But the "Garbage Covering the Pictures" part is dead-on, because gently caress that poo poo. I can actually remember what channel I've tuned to without needing the station's logo in the corner to remind me. And that's just the bugs; the promos for other shows on the bottom of the screen are even more annoying. HEY YOU BE SURE TO WATCH THIS CRAP THAT'S ON NEXT!! I want to watch the show that's on NOW, please stop ruining it. Thankfully most of this frustration is avoided by never watching cable.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
"This was frame 39 on a 36-exposure roll of film. Digital doesn't even go to frame 39 or even the 37th frame; when you fill your card or your buffer, you're bonked. Worse, with digital, you pay for a 4GB card, but it only holds 3.8GB. What's up with that?"

:psyboom: Reading his newer posts is morbidly fascinating; It's like staring into the abyss.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'm absolutely convinced he's the photography world's equivalent of Fox News: saying whatever it takes to get the most viewers excited one way or the other so they'll keep coming back.

In other words: a troll to behold.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'm absolutely convinced he's the photography world's equivalent of Fox News: saying whatever it takes to get the most viewers excited one way or the other so they'll keep coming back.

In other words: a troll to behold.

I think he deliberately has opinions that he knows will wind people up.

In other words, he's not an idiot, he is a clever troll. Let's face it, he gets quoted a lot more than people with sensible/mainstream opinions.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

dreggory posted:

"This was frame 39 on a 36-exposure roll of film. Digital doesn't even go to frame 39 or even the 37th frame; when you fill your card or your buffer, you're bonked. Worse, with digital, you pay for a 4GB card, but it only holds 3.8GB. What's up with that?"

:psyboom: Reading his newer posts is morbidly fascinating; It's like staring into the abyss.

What a loving idiot. If he really believes this poo poo he is insane.

EDIT: Is this the guy who said Nikon made a one of a kind left hand camera for him or something like that?

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 22, 2010

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Sorry to break into the hate fest, but I just found 3 rolls of film, and it has expired to take out the N2000. I also found some prints I did in highschool, and they aren't that bad. I miss having darkroom access.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
For someone who claims to have worked in television and on HDTV in the NINETEEN EIGHTYS he's pretty loving clueless about how digital cable works.

I wonder if he's got an onion tied to his belt. You know, it was the style at the time. In fact, I remember when I used to take the ferry to Shelbyville with K-ROCK, who in those days was called Keneith Vos Rockgrandly. Anyway, we had onions tied to our belts, because it was the style at the time, but you couldn't get nice white onions, on account of the war being on, so we had big yellow onions tied to our belts, because it was the style at the time. Back in those days, the ferry cost a nickel, which has pictures of bees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say.

Anyway, where was I?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

EDIT: Is this the guy who said Nikon made a one of a kind left hand camera for him or something like that?
Yes, and he also claimed that he had a custom elephant penis skin put on it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

FasterThanLight posted:

Yes, and he also claimed that he had a custom elephant penis skin put on it.
As a testament to the man's madness, I did not immediately dismiss this as a joke.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

As a testament to the man's madness, I did not immediately dismiss this as a joke.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

His proof that the lefty elephant penis F100 is real is the fact that he wears his watch upside down, apparently.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Oh my God.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

His proof that the lefty elephant penis F100 is real is the fact that he wears his watch upside down, apparently.

Holy loving :lol:. K-Rock is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/another-reason-to-avoid-giant-megapixel-point-and-shoot-cameras.html

I hope stuff like this gets more publicity for two reasons. First, the more people know about science, the better. Second, if enough people understand this kind of thing, there might be enough educated people to at least cause a hung jury when someone asks me why I got a used 8MP SLR instead of the 16MP pocket sized camera they're selling at Best Buy for the same price and I stab them in the eye with a pair of scissors.

But seriously, it's a good article and explains the science in a very understandable way.

Fists Up posted:

Hes just trolling us now
Non-ionizing radiation gives you cancer. CFL bulbs that contain less mercury than the coal burning plants will emit to power an equivalent incandescent bulb give you heavy metal poisoning. DVD looks better than Blu-Ray, which is so terrible the manufacturers couldn't even spell it right.

If he's trolling, it worked on me.