Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Does anyone know/have a guess as to what the Masters of Cinema version of M will be like versus the Criterion one?

They're using Criterion's 1080p master, but two commentaries (David Kalat and Martin Koerber), the British version, and a documentary.

Criterion has a different commentary, different documentaries, Claude Chabrol's short "remake" and a "visual history" featurette.

MoC is having to region lock because of Criterion, so I hope the BluRay will keep the DVD extras but also port over MoC's commentaries and the British English language version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I finally got to watch my copy of For All Mankind on Blu-Ray today. Space is pretty fuckin spectacular.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Has there been any news lately about a DVD or Blu-Ray version of the Qatsi trilogy? I remember hearing something vague about it a while ago.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

azechiel posted:

Has there been any news lately about a DVD or Blu-Ray version of the Qatsi trilogy? I remember hearing something vague about it a while ago.

I hadn't heard anything about this, but I welcome it if it's true. :)

I've been watching The Golden Age of Television as of late and it's really fascinating stuff. I hope Criterion plans on releasing a Volume Two of it in the future because I'd love to see more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone on cf.org got an email from an insider implying that the announcements this month and next month will include:

Walkabout BD
Red Desert DVD and BD
M BD
The Secret of the Grain DVD
Vivre sa Vie DVD and BD
Summer Hours DVD and BD

No surprises there, except this is the first time I can remember hearing about Secret of the Grain. I'm excited for the possibility of Red Desert, and curious to see what's coming on the Eclipse line.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm hoping M will port over the MoC extras since Criterion licensed the transfer to them and it'll be Region B locked... it would be a wasted opportunity not to include the British version and the two new commentaries.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
8 1/2 came in on Blu today, and it is worth every penny. It's been forever since I've seen the DVD so I can't compare features (and there are websites that do that anyway) but if you like the movie at all and own a blu-ray player you owe it to yourself to pick it up.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I ordered 2 Blu Ray cases on the 28th, forgot about it, and TODAY I get a notice that they're out of stock. :toot:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
b

Captain Charisma posted:

I ordered 2 Blu Ray cases on the 28th, forgot about it, and TODAY I get a notice that they're out of stock. :toot:

I ordered mine December 7th :sigh:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Maybe my favorite so far:

If it were blue I'd say it was L'Eclisse on Blu-Ray.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Also for those who don't get the newsletter there's an extraordinarily easy trivia question:

Criterion Newsletter posted:

Do you know which upcoming Criterion release was just named the best foreign-language film of 2009 by the National Society of Film Critics, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, and the New York Film Critics Circle, as well as the number-one movie of the year in an indieWIRE poll of more than one hundred critics? Tell us and you’ll be entered in a drawing to receive a $25 gift certificate for criterion.com. Send your best guess to contest@criterion.com before January 31.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The consensus on the org is an Oshima Eclipse set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Maybe my favorite so far:

If it were blue I'd say it was L'Eclisse on Blu-Ray.

This is what I came here to post. But I imagine they would do the whole "alienation" trilogy (L'Eclisse, L'Avventura, La Notte) together. But maybe they'd do it in conjunction with Red Desert.

I'm more inclined to believe it has something to do with the Eclipse line. I'll have to read the cf.org speculation on why it might be Oshima.

edit: oh I get it... "O shi-" = "Oshima". Cute.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm more inclined to believe it has something to do with the Eclipse line. I'll have to read the cf.org speculation on why it might be Oshima.

edit: oh I get it... "O shi-" = "Oshima". Cute.

Haha, I got a good laugh out of your comment about Ray on cf.org.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

Haha, I got a good laugh out of your comment about Ray on cf.org.

I only wish it were true. I've only seen two Oshima films, but neither made me excited for more. Besides, already 6 out of 20 Eclipse series are Japanese.

At least it's not another Ozu set.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

If it is Oshima I'm stumped as to what movies they'll include in the set. My hunch is earlier films--maybe a Shochiku set? A Cruel Story of Youth and The Sun's Burial seem likely. I'd wager it'll be those two plus some selection of the other seven Shochiku films from 1959-1968 (i.e. any except Taboo. ALTHOUGH Taboo is OOP at the moment...).

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

I only wish it were true. I've only seen two Oshima films, but neither made me excited for more. Besides, already 6 out of 20 Eclipse series are Japanese.

Good point, especially as per our big discussion upthread about Criterion folks and their opinions on Japanese film.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

I really like Oshima's work but I'd also prefer to see some Ray available with decent image quality. According to the website of the Ray Center at UCSC the restorations for the major films (the ones Criterion or someone similar would want to release) are complete, so it must be either rights issues or a perceived lack of interest that is holding things up. I'd hate to think it's the latter. My impression was the Sony and Merchant Ivory jointly owned the previous restoration, but I don't know if anyone has the rights to the current one (by UCSC). I guess there's also the issue of so many of these films being funded by a multitude of organizations that can't cooperate on how to divvy up royalties and the like, so we might be out of luck until someone decides to take a risk and go ahead without honoring the (admittedly shaky) control over rights that people are claiming.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion has hinted at Ray on their FB page, and I think they even once said "yes". I've got a feeling they'll just do the Apu trilogy and stop there, but at this point I'll take whatever I can get.

Taking this opportunity to plug my Satyajit Ray thread once again.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Could somebody repost the information on replacement cases for Blu-Ray?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Could somebody repost the information on replacement cases for Blu-Ray?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2116939&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62#post369593588

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vertov posted:

I really like Oshima's work but I'd also prefer to see some Ray available with decent image quality.
Edit: I apparently need some more caffeine.

Yeah, some Ray would be great but I'd also love to see some of Oshima's ATG films made available.

SubG fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 14, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thanks. I've finally been able to place my order for Third Man/Last Emperor now that I have a mail forward to my new place.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Sporadic posted:

Thanks. I've finally been able to place my order for Third Man/Last Emperor now that I have a mail forward to my new place.

I decided to go ahead and do this as well (only for Chungking Express). Went into my PayPal account that I haven't used in two years and I somehow already had five dollars in my account. I love finding free money in my internet pockets!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
April titles were just announced.

Blu-Ray/DVD: Vivre Sa Vie, Summer Hours, Ride With the Devil
DVD: The Fugitive Kind, Essential Art House V

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The only one I've seen out of this bunch is Vivre Sa Vie. Although it's actually a Godard that I like, I probably wouldn't want to own it. The others look okay-to-good. Kind of disappointed that there was no Eclipse announcement, or any more older titles released on Blu-Ray. After the phenomenal slate for March, this batch seems relatively blah.

Also worth noting that the Essential Art House includes a previously unreleased title: Pontecorvo's Kapo.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
It seems strange to me to go through all the effort of making the cover of The Fugitive Kind look like a pulp novel and then go with a font that is not particularly evocative of those same pulp novels. The false spine crease is cool though.

McNutty fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 15, 2010

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I think the font looks perfect. Just like an old pulp novel.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I just watched House (Hausu). Good lord what an amazing movie. Now I need to keep following this thread regularly so I know when to expect a Criterion release of the movie. I'll buy it the day it comes out.

And I might just have to buy that t-shirt.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

So I just watched House (Hausu). Good lord what an amazing movie. Now I need to keep following this thread regularly so I know when to expect a Criterion release of the movie. I'll buy it the day it comes out.

And I might just have to buy that t-shirt.

Check out Sada, IMO it's Obayashi's second-best movie (after Hausu). It's on Netflix.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Just wanted to mention that I saw Jeanne Dielman for the first time and I was surprised at how taken I was with it. I'm not certain if I plan on going out of my way to watch it again anytime soon, but I was very impressed with it. I'm not normally of fan of neorealism so I was rather amazed to see that I enjoyed this picture, seeing as how it's effectively a three and a half hour long exercise in ultra neorealism.

Alternatively, I also saw A Christmas Tale recently and, to put it modestly, it just didn't do it for me. It was very well directed and the performances were spectacular, but I had a really hard time getting interested in the drama of the character's lives.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Looks like IFC picked up the right's to Gaspar Noé's Enter the Void. Hopefully Criterion's partnership with IFC continues and they release a blu-ray/make my dreams come true.

In other news, I watched Downhill Racer a few weeks ago and can not wait to see the Olympics now. I was excited before, but now I'm chomping at the bit.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Ughhhhh

I got a PS3 over the holidays and figured now would be a good time to get into Criterion Blu-rays. The first one I was going to buy was The Third Man. Of course it's out of print, but history shows Criterion OOPs usually gain in value, so spending 45 bucks wasn't a big deal. Plus it's a classic film.

The seller has no feedback, so that was my mistake. He got some feedback after I bought it though, so I wasn't too worried. Until I noticed a couple negative feedback.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=saekoo3e27

No big deal, hopefully there were no problems with mine.

Until, while browsing for more movies, I come across another seller. This person has the EXACT same items starting at the same prices. Both sellers have the number 27 in their name, but are in different locations. And they registered within days of each other.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=peggyann27i

So today I get the movie. Odd thing. The envelope states it's from Wal-Mart. Inside is a copy of this:

what the gently caress

Along with the invoice stating that someone paid $19 for the movie, and $6 in tax and shipping to get it to me from Wal-Mart.

This pretty much sucks and I already opened a case for a refund. Can't return it because the return address is to Wal-Mart.
Just thought I'd share :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That movie looks fantastic. What the hell are you complaining about?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Watch it and post screencaps! I want to learn about America's First Gay Detective.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watch it and post screencaps! I want to learn about America's First Gay Detective.

It's got Sean Young! That's like a gift from the gods!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's some info on eBay:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

What method of payment did you use? If you used credit or debit, do a chargeback immediately.

If you used Paypal, you can file a claim:
https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/m...3368&isSrch=Yes

In the future, I'd never get recently OOP discs from eBay. That's when the scammers go full blast.

*gently strokes BluRay copy bought last summer for $15*

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's some info on eBay:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

What method of payment did you use? If you used credit or debit, do a chargeback immediately.

If you used Paypal, you can file a claim:
https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/m...3368&isSrch=Yes

In the future, I'd never get recently OOP discs from eBay. That's when the scammers go full blast.

*gently strokes BluRay copy bought last summer for $15*
I did file a claim, just have to wait now.

I think the thing that bugs me about this most is the layers of poo poo. There is someone that matches his eBay name in Arcadia.

There is also someone who matches the name on the Wal-Mart packing invoice, and the address matches the name. This person lives in NYC and appears to be a lawyer.

Then there is a separate PayPal email which brings up nothing in Google.

I know I'll probably get my money back eventually but I'm really curious as to who exactly did this, and why. Is the marginal benefit of buying something on walmart.com to send to me worth it?

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
On the subject of Oshima, take a look at his first film, Tomorrow's Sun. It's a promotional short, basically a trailer that instead of advertising a film advertises a bunch of young actors at Shochiku. I don't know if it was something that was shown in theatres or if it was a "demo" for him, but it does feature a lot of actors and actress who were employed by Shochiku, so I assume it must have had some kind of backing from the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFW9hMuBWeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheManWithNoName posted:

I did file a claim, just have to wait now.

I think the thing that bugs me about this most is the layers of poo poo. There is someone that matches his eBay name in Arcadia.

There is also someone who matches the name on the Wal-Mart packing invoice, and the address matches the name. This person lives in NYC and appears to be a lawyer.

Then there is a separate PayPal email which brings up nothing in Google.

I know I'll probably get my money back eventually but I'm really curious as to who exactly did this, and why. Is the marginal benefit of buying something on walmart.com to send to me worth it?

Maybe they are using stolen credit cards to buy the stuff from Wal-Mart in the hopes that Paypal will be lazy, see the tracking number, go "durf they got the product wat the problem" and tell you to go screw instead of pulling the money out of their account? It would be risky but it would also be 100% profit if eBay/the credit card companies don't catch on.