Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Wait were you at the Raleigh gig? So was I. I was in the very front with a grey Neurosis hoodie on.

Yes. I was in the rear with the gear (soundboard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Running out the door as fast as you could.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

There was some tough jock guy that was full-force punching the stage the entire time during Behemoth's set, and kept elbowing me in the ribs. But it's cool cause Seth dribbled blood all over his face and he got pissed :shobon:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

QPZIL posted:

There was some tough jock guy that was full-force punching the stage the entire time during Behemoth's set, and kept elbowing me in the ribs. But it's cool cause Seth dribbled blood all over his face and he got pissed :shobon:

This.

This is why I love metal.

I would have loved to see this.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

The pit did seem kinda seem filled with meatheads. I got tickled at the short chick with the big gut that stood in the middle of SepticFlesh's wall of death. Behemoth's blood spew/dribble during the Lucifer encore kinda crowned the night fo me too. I also got to meet Orion, Inferno and Seth before the gig. All of them were cool, but Orion was particularly friendly and telling me how the heat went out on their bus last night. I understood that they will be returning to the US next fall with a new DVD to drop in the very near future. Orion is a real beast of a man and nearly crushed my hand with his deadly handshake. Nergal was on the phone. Probably talking to his new Polish pop singer squeeze to be...

Dorota Rabczewska (MEOW!!!) Can't say I'd really blame him.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That somehow reminds me of this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9hah_GfSg

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I don't know if any of you caught this, but I was out at Barnes and Noble and saw Varg Vikernes staring at me.

It's the basic history of black metal with pictures and it's really cool, but I could see paying 13 dollars for something I already know.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I saw that issue too and almost bought it, but every issue of Terrorizer that I've bought has been pretty awful and for that price I could buy a new CD.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I wrote to Andy of Caïna about the lyrics to "Drilling the Spire", and certain parallels I saw with the poetry of Rimbaud (yes I know I am a pretentious idiot). He wrote me back a lovely reply, to which I will reply in due course. Extract below:

quote:

I'm really glad that the EP spoke to you in some way, particularly as it's been (partly deliberately) alienating for some of my listeners. For someone who is intensely self-critical, I still think it's the strongest thing I've released to date, though hopefully the forthcoming EP and album (this year and next) will top it. [Hurrah! New stuff on the way!]

You've definitely hit upon some interesting parallels here - I'm not sure if the fact that they're unconscious makes them more or less interesting for you. For me it's the former, as I'm quite a big fan of such examples of Jungian/Fortean synchronisity. I've not read the Illuminations, though I do own a copy of Les Fleurs Du Mal. That's not to say that Rimbaud hasn't influenced my writing at all, but it's most likely through osmosis rather than through conscious pastiche or imitation.

Apart from these inter-textual connections, I was more pleased to read your description of the chorus as embodying some "...idea of inverting the human order, and the sudden resurgence of the natural", as that's the exact idea I was trying to evoke. People accurately (or not, seeing as we live in post death-of-the-author times, but meaning interpretations closest to my own intentions) interpreting my 'work' is rare indeed. There's a line in Lars Von Trier's recent Antichrist, "nature is Satan's church" that could be used as a catch-all phrase for this concept - it's a paradigm that I return to moth-like whenever I'm writing.

...That first verse (and the whole song really) is a rather tiresome re-tread of an Apocalyptic scenario - Caesar refers to the rise of the Antichrist, the "final Caesar" of early Christianity, whilst the references to the sea engulfing the stars and the dogs/sirens signal a spacial and temporal collapse. This is a disruption of the natural cycle, its ultimate disconnect, nadir or zenith...

I was very impressed to get such a cogent, informative and pleasant reply. I know that EP had a few fans in this thread so just thought I'd share.

I have also been singing "We built our church upside-down / Drilled the spire deep into the mud" to myself fairly often over the past fortnight. That lyric has got itself stuck into my head, somehow.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Because I've been listening to the poo poo out of Taake recently, can anyone recommend some other similar bands?

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

Because I've been listening to the poo poo out of Taake recently, can anyone recommend some other similar bands?

I only listen to Nattestid Ser Porten Vid and Hordaland Dødskvad, I havnt really liked the other Taake material, however the above 2 mentioned are classics.

What did you all think of the new Taake ? It sure wasnt ground-breaking.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Not Very Metal posted:

Bands that are similar to Taake to me would be: Kampfar, Koldbrann, Urgehal, Mgła. The last two are kind of similar in style but unless you're looking for that 'pagan nature whatever' mood to the music, don't bother.

I enjoyed the new Caïna EP, any of their other material like this? 'Post Black Metal'? also wouldn't mind learning about some BM bands who don't focus entirely on negative emotions(Although I do realize the genre mostly focuses around this) and maybe chuck in some psychedelia or post rock or just anything different!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Not Very Metal posted:

Try the other Norwegian band Ragnarok. Also, the Hungarian project Aetherius Obscuritas.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I wrote to Andy of Caïna about the lyrics to "Drilling the Spire", and certain parallels I saw with the poetry of Rimbaud (yes I know I am a pretentious idiot). He wrote me back a lovely reply, to which I will reply in due course. Extract below:

I was very impressed to get such a cogent, informative and pleasant reply. I know that EP had a few fans in this thread so just thought I'd share.

I have also been singing "We built our church upside-down / Drilled the spire deep into the mud" to myself fairly often over the past fortnight. That lyric has got itself stuck into my head, somehow.

I'm pretty sure the lyric is "and drilled the spire into the ground". I have no idea why it would be printed incorrectly by him...

I also found myself repeating that in my head a lot.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Since people were talking about the Behemoth show in here...any chance any of you remember Septicflesh's setlist?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Wyzt posted:

Since people were talking about the Behemoth show in here...any chance any of you remember Septicflesh's setlist?

Almost all of it was from Communion, but that's all I remember. I know they played Lovecraft's Death, Anubis, Communion, We The Gods, Persepolis, but that's all I remember.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's the basic history of black metal with pictures and it's really cool, but I could see paying 13 dollars for something I already know.

Hasn't every metal mag ever done five issues like that? Who the hell is there left to teach? I think my loving grandma knows the history of Mayhem at this point.

Not Very Metal posted:

Hirilorn, Spite Extreme Wing, Horn Of Valere, Brume d'Automne. None of these sound precisely like Taake but Taake fans should listen to them.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Noktorn posted:

Hasn't every metal mag ever done five issues like that? Who the hell is there left to teach? I think my loving grandma knows the history of Mayhem at this point.

I have no idea if metal mags do that, however, it's still a pretty good read and does have a section on bands around the world. So, for someone who doesn't spend all day on SA/metal forums asking for recommendations it's not bad.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 16, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Cold Day posted:

also wouldn't mind learning about some BM bands who don't focus entirely on negative emotions

I dont really find that many BM bands, especially better ones IMO are writting all negative, there is a huge branch which is just Pagan - Nature stuff. Im not sure your style but do give Jotunspor a try. I really did like that project. They only have one album.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

QPZIL posted:

Almost all of it was from Communion, but that's all I remember. I know they played Lovecraft's Death, Anubis, Communion, We The Gods, Persepolis, but that's all I remember.
Ah, I figured as much. Hopefully they play at least a song or two off earlier ones. Just unbeliever and marble smiling face and I'd be happy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cold Day posted:

I enjoyed the new Caïna EP, any of their other material like this? 'Post Black Metal'? also wouldn't mind learning about some BM bands who don't focus entirely on negative emotions(Although I do realize the genre mostly focuses around this) and maybe chuck in some psychedelia or post rock or just anything different!

Not at all similar to Caina but check out Fleurety, Ved Buens Ende, ...and Oceans, and The Sprawlcosm. They're all extremely unique "post-black metal."

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Plasma1010 posted:

I only listen to Nattestid Ser Porten Vid and Hordaland Dødskvad, I havnt really liked the other Taake material, however the above 2 mentioned are classics.

What did you all think of the new Taake ? It sure wasnt ground-breaking.

I haven't heard the new stuff, only Nattestid Ser Porten Vid and Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmelrik. I do really enjoy those two, so I'll check out Hordaland as well.

I don't really care one way or another about lyrical content in BM, (hopefully I can say that without dredging up the NSBM poo poo again), and Taake has a really neat almost prog type songwriting that I can't really get enough of. I got a fix with Carpathian Forest, but they have no where near the songwriting talent of Taake.

Big thanks for the other rec's too; I've heard of Ragnarok, but never gave them a listen. Kampfar rules, and this Aetherius Obscuritas sounds pretty interesting. I'm smelling a long day of nothing at work today, so I shouldn't have trouble getting into all of these.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Wyzt posted:

It was almost the same as they played last year with Satyricon.

1. Behold... The Land of Promise (Intro - Sumerian Daemons)
2. Unbeliever (Sumerian Daemons)
3. Communion (Communion)
4. We The Gods (Communion)
5. Annubis (Communion)
6. Lovecraft's Death (Communion)
7. Persepolis (Communion)

I was looking forward to hearing something new, but they did satisfy.

Edit: Er, wrong album

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2010

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Uncelestial's "Born With Lucifer's Mark" MCD wasn't featured on many year-end lists which makes me a sad panda. It's a great little record. Have a listen: http://profile.myspace.com/uncelestial666

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Is was almost the same as they played last year with Satyricon.

1. Behold... The Land of Promise (Intro - Sumerian Daemons)
2. Unbeliever (Sumerian Daemons)
3. Communion (Communion)
4. We The Gods (Demigod)
5. Annubis (Communion)
6. Lovecraft's Death (Communion)
7. Persepolis (Communion)

I was looking forward to hearing something new, but they did satisfy.

Speaking of Volume 11, were you at the Tyr show last night?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Hey, guess what's coming soon.

It's only the best black metal album of 2010.

Countess - Burning Scripture

Samples here: http://www.thebasar.org/MP3/Chariots_Of_Thunder.mp3 and here http://www.thebasar.org/MP3/History_Not_Forgotten.mp3

It will be awesome.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

MrBling posted:

Samples here: http://www.thebasar.org/MP3/Chariots_Of_Thunder.mp3 and here http://www.thebasar.org/MP3/History_Not_Forgotten.mp3

It will be awesome.

Yes, yes it will be. I'm gonna do the pre-order and get the shirt.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

It will be awesome.

boy they love darkthrone huh

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

boy they love darkthrone huh

Orlok has always been influenced by NWOBHM and old traditional metal, if it is that sort of rocking sound you're referring to. I think it started to really shine through in the song writing around 97 and it really came to the forefront around 2001. It is nothing new certainly.

Otherwise I don't really see that many similarities with darkthrone.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

MrBling posted:

Post again when it comes out as I dont have a Dear Diary to remind myself with.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Speaking of Volume 11, were you at the Tyr show last night?

Nope.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
I got my copy of Imerium Dekadenz's Procella Vadens today and it's loving amazing - completely worth the wait on the delayed release date. This is their best work. It's their Privilegivm - it brings all the good stuff together in a more refined and purposeful way.

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 22, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Caucasus Belli posted:

I got my copy of Imerium Dekadenz's Procella Vadens today and it's loving amazing - completely worth the wait on the delayed release date. This is their best work. It's their Privilegivm - it brings all the good stuff together in a more refined and purposeful way.

I just checked out this album and it is pretty drat good. It's very relaxing to listen to

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Caucasus Belli posted:

Wow. Love it.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Speaking of German black metal I have Ylem now. It's better than Eidolon, if you liked Eidolon go and buy Ylem immediately.

If you're the sort to prefer Stab Wounds/Séance over Eidolon, check it out anyway, there's plenty there to appreciate.

Morean will never be Azathoth, but he's loving amazing in his own right and he's really come into his own with this album.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Caucasus Belli posted:

Speaking of German black metal I have Ylem now. It's better than Eidolon, if you liked Eidolon go and buy Ylem immediately.

If you're the sort to prefer Stab Wounds/Séance over Eidolon, check it out anyway, there's plenty there to appreciate.

Morean will never be Azathoth, but he's loving amazing in his own right and he's really come into his own with this album.

Thank you! I've been waiting to hear someone's opinion on it. I ordered the CD/shirt package, but I've been really anxious to hear it. Eidolon was easily one of my top 5 black metal releases in many moons.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know most of you don't like Dimmu Borgir, but it has been my gateway to metal and is still a favorite, despite their last album.

from Nuclear Blast e-mail I got posted:

DIMMU BORGIR - WORKING ON HUGE, EPIC AND PRIMAL NEW ALBUM!

Guitarist Silenoz of Norwegian black metallers DIMMU BORGIR recently spoke to U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's follow-up to 2007's In Sorte Diaboli.

"The words that come to mind, if we should even try and attempt at describing [the new material] at this point, would be something like: grand, huge, epic and primal," he said. "It has this eerie and haunting feel to it. Atmosphere and ambience!

He continued, "It's hard to say anything distinct or speak objectively about the new material when you're in the middle of the writing process — we're too close to it at this stage — but we'd be lying if we said it's not good. We're very confident in the new material and we believe it'll raise a few eyebrows. We might even have to trim our own!"

Regarding why the wait between albums seems to be getting longer for DIMMU BORGIR, Silenoz said, "Because we want the next album to be a better and stronger one. We're more critical of each process and we take the time it needs. Quality is, at the end of the day, in the eye of the beholder, but once we start rushing things, like trying to write music while on tour to speed things up — forget about it. We've tried it before and it didn't work. We focus 110 percent on one thing at a time. Plus, if we'd release an album every year, where would the expectation be? Where would the excitement be?"

Kind of interesting how this is going to be, now that they fired the 2 most melodic guys (Vortex, clean vocals and Mustis, their keyboardist) not even a year ago.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Latis posted:

Kind of interesting how this is going to be, now that they fired the 2 most melodic guys (Vortex, clean vocals and Mustis, their keyboardist) not even a year ago.

Well ... the odds of another For All Tid or Stormblåst seem impossible ... I could settle for another Enthrone Darkness Triumph at the worst, but anytime a band talks up their next album so much ...

Anyhow, I predict either another 1349 attempt or something along the lines of Ov Hell.

I still have no comment for Revelations of the Black Flame.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
The new Darkthrone is entitled "Circle The Wagons" and is going to be released April 6th. I'm pretty anxious to hear it. Makes two of black metal's classic bands releasing album within a month of each other!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victim of Changes
Jan 5, 2010

Black Magic
I've come to the conclusion that Engram was basically the best black metal album of the 2000's, although I was initially skeptical when I first heard people saying it. It's like Nuclear Holocausto came full circle from his time making music outside of black metal and everything that he learned over the years culminated in the recording of this album.

I'm definitely curious to hear what other people have to say about it.