Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

CM Junk posted:

Jobber to the stars.

aka Evan Bourne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CM Junk posted:

That was more my point, that it's really hard to say any one person can draw an arena when people are going to a RAW show for Cena, HHH, HBK and Orton or a Smackdown show for Undertaker, Mysterio, Morrison, and Jericho. People pretty much go to WWE shows because they're WWE shows now.

By the remaining criteria, however, I'd say Lesnar was definitely a draw.

No, your point is still wrong. You're arguing that attendance is the only way to draw and nobody's a draw anymore. I'm saying it's irrelevent to saying if someone's a draw because the business changed. If it isn't an major part of WWE's business model and we already know WWE

MassRayPer posted:

And WeaselWeaz is pretty wrong about draws in terms of ratings. Both times Cena has been out it has meant very little to the Raw rating. Both of his major injuries happened in football season and the ratings were about what you'd expect for Raw vs the NFL, and didn't really pop up much when he came back. That isn't to say Cena can't draw ratings. If you put Cena on ECW he'd probably pop the rating up a bit since the ECW rating is so small.

Did I say ratings are the only way someone is a draw? Of course not. It's part of the picture.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
So come march im traveling from Vancouver to Phoenix to see Wrestlemania, And I was just curious about Fan Access. Mainly when it comes to meeting the wrestlers. Has anyone gone to a fan access before? What is it like? Mainly wait times,what you can get signed, if you can talk to them, pose for photos? ect ect. Im just really curious about it all.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've been listening to a lot of Jim Cornette lately and had a couple of questions about his tenure with TNA. What did he do there and how long was he a part of the company? Also, was the quality of the TNA product any better or worse than it is now or before Hogan showed up? Was he responsible for that change? What caused him to be fired/resign?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Jim Cornette lately and had a couple of questions about his tenure with TNA. What did he do there and how long was he a part of the company? Also, was the quality of the TNA product any better or worse than it is now or before Hogan showed up? Was he responsible for that change? What caused him to be fired/resign?

He signed with them in June 2006 as the on screen authority figure and was let go in September of 2009.

Late in 2008 he became an agent as well and had some creative input. He was said to get abit more input last summer after Jarrett was fired just because they were low on backstage personel, and Impact made a bit more sense than usual.

He was fired because he's a friend of the Jarretts and Dixie made the call to eliminate all of Jeff's friends after she found out he was dating Karen Angle, since Dixie apparently believes women are property of the first man they marry. Supposedly she's mad because he lied, but in reality it was to appease Angle who threatened to quit if Jeff wasn't sent home.

So Dutch Mantel was fired, Cornette was fired and Don West was taken off his announcing position sooner than planned because they were friends of Jeff.

As for the quality of the product before Hogan compared to now... There were some really loving stupid TV shows when Russo got full control and PPV quality improved during the lame duck period... The last PPV got very mixed reviews, and the spoilers for TV look really dumb, so it looks like TNA is the same as ever.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
What music was playing in CM Punk The Final Chapter after Miseria Cantare when he finally makes his way to the ring?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MassRayPer posted:

He signed with them in June 2006 as the on screen authority figure and was let go in September of 2009.

Late in 2008 he became an agent as well and had some creative input. He was said to get abit more input last summer after Jarrett was fired just because they were low on backstage personel, and Impact made a bit more sense than usual.

He was fired because he's a friend of the Jarretts and Dixie made the call to eliminate all of Jeff's friends after she found out he was dating Karen Angle, since Dixie apparently believes women are property of the first man they marry. Supposedly she's mad because he lied, but in reality it was to appease Angle who threatened to quit if Jeff wasn't sent home.

So Dutch Mantel was fired, Cornette was fired and Don West was taken off his announcing position sooner than planned because they were friends of Jeff.

As for the quality of the product before Hogan compared to now... There were some really loving stupid TV shows when Russo got full control and PPV quality improved during the lame duck period... The last PPV got very mixed reviews, and the spoilers for TV look really dumb, so it looks like TNA is the same as ever.

This pretty much explains why TNA is hosed, is'nt? And I thounhg Cornette said he left because he was not going to work with Russo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

This pretty much explains why TNA is hosed, is'nt? And I thounhg Cornette said he left because he was not going to work with Russo.

He was called up and said they were letting him go because he couldn't get behind Vince Russo. This just happened to be at the time when all Jarrett's friends were being fired, and Russo's buddy Ferrera was brought in.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Moose Bigelow posted:

What music was playing in CM Punk The Final Chapter after Miseria Cantare when he finally makes his way to the ring?

Night Train. Bouncing Souls.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

HulkaMatt posted:

Night Train.

HulkaMatt for mod of my <3.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

EDIT: Yay.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Bubba Ray and Devon mentioned in their shoot that some guy from WWE named John, "screwed" them. Only saying that "he knows what he did" and "vince knows in his heart what went down" or something.

Is this just the issue with the rights to the Dudley name? Or is there more to it than that?

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
They really, really hate John Laurenitus. They have stated many times if JR was still head of talent relations, they'd still be with WWE.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Johnny Ace needs to go the gently caress away already.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is easy to hate Johnny Ace, but he is well liked by some people including Lance Storm who credits him as one of the people most important to his success as a wrestler. He has some dumb fetishes and makes some dumb decisions, but he's hired a lot of talented guys during his run.

CM Punk, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, Bryan Danielson and the like are not typical WWE wrestlers. Yes there are some meat heads. Yes there are some big amateur wrestlers like Swagger. But he's hired some talented people too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I suppose I was just spoiled by getting into the WWF after Jim Ross was made Talent Relations guy. For every good move Johnny Ace has made, Jim Ross made twenty.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

They really, really hate John Laurenitus. They have stated many times if JR was still head of talent relations, they'd still be with WWE.

How can they believe that? Their act had been stale in the WWE for awhile before they were released. Do they really think that they'd be doing the same act for over 10 years?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

How can they believe that? Their act had been stale in the WWE for awhile before they were released. Do they really think that they'd be doing the same act for over 10 years?

Dudley Boys were over as faces and during the last of their contract creative said they had nothing for them. They had nothing for the Dudley Boys to do. Have the Dudleys put people through tables!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

KungFu Grip posted:

Dudley Boys were over as faces and during the last of their contract creative said they had nothing for them. They had nothing for the Dudley Boys to do. Have the Dudleys put people through tables!
My guess is that they gave each guy a singles run, and it was decided that they only worked as a dedicated tag-team. Which meant, as far as the WWE mindset was concerned, that they had no future. They want tag-teams to build future singles superstars, not the other way around.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only time I've ever sided with creative's "We got nothing" is with the Dudley Boys. Seriously, they had done the same exact poo poo for years. They feuded with everyone. They were terrible in singles. There was no uncharted territory, they were done.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

The only time I've ever sided with creative's "We got nothing" is with the Dudley Boys. Seriously, they had done the same exact poo poo for years. They feuded with everyone. They were terrible in singles. There was no uncharted territory, they were done.

I gotta agree with this. I mean, I guess they could go back to the "power bombing divas through tables" story again, but that's only postponing the issue.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also Bubba is a dickhead, so good riddance really.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The problem with The Dudleys came when it was time to renegotiate their contracts. The Dudleys wanted to go in together, and do their contracts at the same time, but WWE decided to do them separatedly. Which was fine, except WWE never considered the possibility that Bubba and D-Von would actually discuss their contract offers with one another. The Dudleys had figured that they'd both get the same contracts, but then they found out one was being favored over the other, and that pissed them off.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
As much as the Dudley Boys ran their gimmick into the ground now, I've been re-watching a lot of old ppv's from all 3 companies and you know what I've noticed isn't there anymore that I really miss? 3+ person stables. Now there's usually 1 or 2 running around but it seems like back in the day there were 1 or 2 that involved main eventers and then the mid-card was littered with tiny stables.

I really wish WWE would go back to that, seeing as how it was a great way to put guys over and blow up feuds without constantly having to pit one guy against the same other guy over and over. Besides they have about twice the roster they had during the attitude era and especially with the guest host bullshit on RAW they don't have nearly enough time to showcase everyone when they're running 85-something percent of their roster as singles competitors.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Just in the mid-late 90's you had DX, Hart Foundation, the Oddities, Ministry of Darkness/ The Corporation (Later the Corporate Ministry), The Job Squad, The Brood, The Union, PMS :lol:, Disciples of Apocalypse, Kaientai, LOD 2000, Los Boricuas, Nation of Domination, The Radicals, Mean Street Posse :lol:, Acolyte Protection Agency, 2 Cool, The Dudleys, etc...

Look at that poo poo right there. I know they didn't all exist at the same time but you get the idea.
You're absolutely right in that it gives more exposure to more people. You'd think with all the air time WWE has now it'd be easier for new talent to get over but it it seems like it was easier then with a single 1-hour show (later 2-hour). The midcard scene was filled with talent from stables and I think it made i much more interesting because you could have a guy who's good on the mic work the crowd and then have the flippy guy go bounce around the ring.

I really thought that when they put Edge and Jericho together we'd see a upswing of tag-teams and I said as much when they teamed up, but instead Edge gets hurt, and the tag-team division is used as another vehicle to put HHH on my loving screen again. I don't think Cryme Tyme won the belts, and I can't think of another team who had them except Legacy, DX, or Jericho/Big Show.

Sorry I'm rambling, but I like tag-teams a lot.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Most of those teams were terrible, though. I'd rather have mostly good singles guys over a huge group of scrubs.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

maniacripper posted:

I really thought that when they put Edge and Jericho together we'd see a upswing of tag-teams and I said as much when they teamed up, but instead Edge gets hurt, and the tag-team division is used as another vehicle to put HHH on my loving screen again.

Hahaha, you think DX wouldn't have gotten back together or that HHH would have stayed off TV if not for the tag division.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've never understood why, instead of letting people go because they "don't have anything for them", why not give the chance to find a partner and try to make it in the tag division? There's been precedent of guys who were floundering around aimlessly, could have been let go, but had gotten a good bump from a being a part of the tag division.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

or used them in other capacities such as training or agents or something. What was Dreamer's contract like during the time he could work in indy promotions? During that time, he had nothing to do in WWE.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's a...crime that Cryme Tyme hasn't had the titles. They're massively over and all they seem to do is wrestle the Hart Dynasty. I think +80% of the matches they've been in since October are vs. the Hart Dynasty.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

CM Junk posted:

Hahaha, you think DX wouldn't have gotten back together or that HHH would have stayed off TV if not for the tag division.

No, I was trying to say that the tag-team division should be for building new guys into main eventers, not watching Triple H and Shawn Michaels go over all the time.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was thinking back to the promos that aired before Angle's debut in 1999—the ones about him being a gold medalist, champion athlete, all-American chunk of redwhiteandblue—and I wondered if he was meant to come in as a face, but had his plans changed prior to his TV debut?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Tong Quixote posted:

I was thinking back to the promos that aired before Angle's debut in 1999—the ones about him being a gold medalist, champion athlete, all-American chunk of redwhiteandblue—and I wondered if he was meant to come in as a face, but had his plans changed prior to his TV debut?

Most of the stories I've heard about that indicate that the WWF had learned from their mistake in doing much the same for the debuting Rocky Maivia, who was pushed as a clean cut, smilin' babyface blue-chipper. The fans turned on it. (And they later used that very hatred to fuel Rocky's heel turn and in turn become The Rock, and the rest is history.)

So when Kurt Angle came along, they did much the same, with the expectation that the fans would hate it.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Most of those teams were terrible, though. I'd rather have mostly good singles guys over a huge group of scrubs.

Yea but the part of the point I'm trying to make is now they have more good singles guys than they know what to do with in a week so they could be making them into teams that are actually good.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Davros1 posted:

I've never understood why, instead of letting people go because they "don't have anything for them", why not give the chance to find a partner and try to make it in the tag division? There's been precedent of guys who were floundering around aimlessly, could have been let go, but had gotten a good bump from a being a part of the tag division.
You pretty much just described the formation of the New Age Outlaws. Say what you want about them now, but they were HUGE for a while, and clearly the most successful "Two Jobbers With Nothing To Do" tag-team of all time.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What's the difference between a yakuza kick and a big boot?

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
Going from what I know from playing a ton of video games about wrestling in the late 90s, the difference is that in a Yakuza kick, you (as the kicker) are putting forth some effort into the kick, but in a big boot, you're just holding up your foot and letting the other jackass run full throttle into it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought the Yakuza kick was to the gut, too.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That's the thing. The call is super inconsistent. The announcers call El Generico's corner boot a yakuza kick, and one of the Briscoe's kicks is called a yakuza, so I inferred that it was like a running boot. But now Taker does a running boot that looks different. In games a yakuza kick looks like a combination big boot and super kick, but it looks different in real life.
I'm putting way too much thought into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

And understandably, nobody wants to ask the Yakuza what one is.