Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Neodoomium posted:

Just a quick question: Which match is this from? I'm not very well-versed in WCW stuff.

This thread's a great read though, a lot of truly :ughh:-worthy moments I missed over the years by being a WWF mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sharp_angus posted:

Just a quick question: Which match is this from? I'm not very well-versed in WCW stuff.

Booker T vs Jeff Jarrett - 49'ers match for the held up world title vacated by former champion Vince Russo. It was a mystery box on a pole match that two men qualified for by winning a tag match earlier in the show.

Also the last match Russo ever booked in WCW.

Words don't do it justice.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2taco_bookert-vs-jeff-jarrettwcw-title_sport

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Booker T vs Jeff Jarrett - 49'ers match for the held up world title vacated by former champion Vince Russo. It was a mystery box on a pole match that two men qualified for by winning a tag match earlier in the show.

Completely terrible. WCW Champion Dave Penzer?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Completely terrible. WCW Champion Dave Penzer?

Luckily enough, Russo couldn't think THAT fast, even with the attention span of a gnat.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
That picture is basically wcw.jpg.

Anyway what was the deal with the Women's Championship and the Women's Cruiserweight Championship? There were tournaments and then that was it. Wikipedia tells me Akira Hokuto won a title vs. career match against Madusa and then went back to Japan which vacated the Women's title and after the tournament the Cruiserweight one was never even defended in WCW. That all seems... pretty stupid and wasteful, honestly. A women's division with Madusa, Malia Hosaka, some of the Gaea wrestlers and whoever else would've been spectacular.

On that note, I watched a Toshie Uematsu/Meiko Satomura match from the Cruiserweight tournament and good god. Both of them are very green so the match is pretty sloppy, the match itself is like three minutes long at best, Schiavone and Tenay can't be bothered to make any sort of effort of pronouncing the names remotely correct, and Larry Zbysko practically goes "WHICH CHINK GIRL IS WHICH I CAN'T TELL." :psyduck:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Women's Cruiserweight title pretty much made to help along the relationship between WCW and New Japan? As in it was never meant to be defended here?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I SAID DID YOU FOR FORGET YOUR SCISSORS, NEODOOMIUM?!

Still gets me too.

Does anyone have (non-Dailymotion because Dailymotion sucks rear end) video of this moment?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Does anyone have (non-Dailymotion because Dailymotion sucks rear end) video of this moment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T22TnNMftw (5:30 onwards.)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

:lol: I had forgotten how terrible that came off.

The best part is the announcers acting shocked and NOBODY else getting it, not even Sid.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LividLiquid posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Women's Cruiserweight title pretty much made to help along the relationship between WCW and New Japan? As in it was never meant to be defended here?

Pretty much, except it was GAEA Japan, the womens cruiserweight title was defended in Japan a few times but WCW and GAEA stopped workin together near the end 97 so the two womens belts basically existed for maybe 8 months and then were never used again.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

maniacripper posted:

Speaking of Medusa, I went looking into why Bigfoot fell off the major circuits and why that piece of poo poo Grave-digger had become the big hit today. I then learned Medusa ended up driving Bigfoot in 2006 for a year and a half. Odd.

She was recently in the Netherlands with her own truck, the Madusa.

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Hogan spin on the Jericho situation was that he liked him alot and felt he should've been better used by WCW, but it was that terrible backstage politician Kevin Nash that held him down. On the otherhand Nash says that he was pushing for him to have a better role, shown by how still didn't bury him on his way out when he had the book and that they shared an agent.

However the best take on the situation was by Scott Steiner, who said in his shoot that they all wanted him in the NWO, 'which was the best sign that they wanted to kill his heat.' I cannot recommend Steiners shoot video enough.

I was unaware that Scot Steiner did a full length shoot interview. Was it pre/post his WWE run?

Disregard that, I just purchased it.

DGib fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 23, 2010

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I see that RFvideo and Highspots both did a shoot with Steiner, which one is the one you guys are talking about? I'd rather not give money to a company run by a known pedophile.

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

maniacripper posted:

I see that RFvideo and Highspots both did a shoot with Steiner, which one is the one you guys are talking about? I'd rather not give money to a company run by a known pedophile.

I checked RFvideo for Steiner merchandise and the only DVD they have featuring him is his workout video, which could be amazing in it's own right.

I just ordered the Highspots video personally. I certainly hope I didn't contribute to a known pedophile.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

DGib posted:

I certainly hope I didn't contribute to a known pedophile.

That would be Robert Feinstein of RF Video

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Suben posted:

A women's division with Madusa, Malia Hosaka, some of the Gaea wrestlers and whoever else would've been spectacular.

Nah they were all lazy, sloppy and given about 5 minutes tops in WCW. Plus Madusa's ridiculous fake tits were the centre of the division and could barely do anything bar jiggle, not that she could do much more in her prime admittedly.

Nitro wise up to the Team Piper episode which is quite... awful. Fake boxing segment lasts forever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhnuEJWPqk part two is linked

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
DDP did another Figure 4 Daily interview today, and this time instead of just talking about YRG for half an hour, he talked about WCW too! DDP interviews are the best since even if he's gone a bit insane with organic food, he's got this positive energy that is always awesome to listen to even if he is just plugging something.

First, he told the story behind THE BEST DIAMOND CUTTER EVER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMz1rAUlIc

Basically, this was during the build up to Bash at the Beach 98, so they wanted to keep putting DDP over strong, so they put him with Eddie, since who better to make someone look awesome?

Backstage Eddie suggests they do a Diamond Cutter out of a powerbomb. DDP asks him how the gently caress they could do that. "Just get me on your shoulders, give me a boost and I'll do the rest."

DDP's reaction, according to him was a total shoot, he was so excited that it worked that he started celebrating right then and there, and then pinned him.

He also said his favorite match with Savage was the first one where Savage put him over. Why? Because before the show Arn asked him what he wanted to do in the match and Savage says "I want to take the Diamond Cutter" offering to put DDP over at a time when Savage put NO ONE over clean, and almost no one over in general. The reaction was so huge that night that they had to go with it from there.

Edit: Also here's a pro tip if you are a big DDP fan and are on Facebook. On his last time on F4D he said he doesn't mind friend requests on facebook, but please at least send him a message too to let him know you are a fan and why. (Otherwise he just ignores the friend request.) So a few subscribers did so and sent him a message about why they were a fan and particularly happy memories of his matches, or if he had inspired them in some way...

And the genuine people got a message back from DDP, or comments on pictures they had posted, or stuff like that. And not just a thanks, but pretty lengthy, detailed replies that showed he had actually read their message and their profile. To me, that's really loving cool.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 23, 2010

CaptainRapesAlot
Jul 25, 2007

Drivin' down the road,
lookin' for a Waffle House,
and drinkin' lots of Wild Turkey

MassRayPer posted:

Edit: Also here's a pro tip if you are a big DDP fan and are on Facebook. On his last time on F4D he said he doesn't mind friend requests on facebook, but please at least send him a message too to let him know you are a fan and why. (Otherwise he just ignores the friend request.) So a few subscribers did so and sent him a message about why they were a fan and particularly happy memories of his matches, or if he had inspired them in some way...

And the genuine people got a message back from DDP, or comments on pictures they had posted, or stuff like that. And not just a thanks, but pretty lengthy, detailed replies that showed he had actually read their message and their profile. To me, that's really loving cool.

He really does do this sort of thing. On my birthday last year, he sent me a message on Myspace wishing me a "Positively Perfect Birthday" and he complimented my shirt. It was loving awesome and pretty much made my year! :shobon:

DDP just seems so upbeat about everything, its a shame he didn't get a better run in WWE

CaptainRapesAlot fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 23, 2010

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

He didn't get bitter because of it, though.

In fact, DDP is probably one of the objectively happiest and most positive people there is.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

He didn't get bitter because of it, though.

In fact, DDP is probably one of the objectively happiest and most positive people there is.

That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
God I wish he was still involved in WWE. Even just as a manager. As a kid I loved him. Hes probably one of the few wrestlers that got me into wrestling. Hes the only wrestler that would get a bigger reaction out of me than goldberg. When they both had a match at that ppv, I was legit confused on who to cheer for.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Skinty McEdger posted:

What the gently caress is Brian Knobs doing in there with the New Blood?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Skinty McEdger posted:

I love the crowd making GBS threads all over this segment. Even when WCW was "rebooting" no one could get interested. In fact they were cheering for Sid. :psyduck:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

chazburgr posted:

I love the crowd making GBS threads all over this segment. Even when WCW was "rebooting" no one could get interested. In fact they were cheering for Sid. :psyduck:

IIRC they were trying to get the New Blood over as the faces and the old guys over as heels, but all the old guys were the top faces from years past, so good luck with that one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
After listening to DDP last night I wanted to rewatch his excellent match with Sting from Nitro in March of 99. Instead, I found this, a match full of Vince Russo calling cards.

Sting and DDP vs The Total Package and David Flair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H96ZOxhTX4

Watch this match. The entrances are much longer than the match itself. It's No DQ for whatever reason, there's a beheaded teddy bear, partners who hate each other, and even Bobby Heenan has no idea what is going on.

Edit: But after you watch that, watch this:

Sting vs DDP for DDP's WCW Title. It was from April, not March so I had trouble finding it. This is a great, long TV match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRjAsdlwPU4

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2010

X-Sgt. Zypygski
Oct 23, 2006

by T. Finninho

chazburgr posted:

I was at that show. It was pretty clear that the bad guys were in the ring (they were with Russo and Bischoff! How much more clear does it need to be that they're the heels?) and we were supposed to be cheering for the lineup of all the longtime big stars of WCW standing on the ramp.

Wait, we weren't? Seriously?

Yeah, the crowd was going to boo Sting and DDP standing up to the evil management.

Oh, and after the show was over Goldberg came out to talk for a while, and the mayor of Denver came out to delcare that day "Goldberg Day" despite Goldberg not even being in the entire (televised) show.

X-Sgt. Zypygski fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 24, 2010

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Skinty McEdger posted:

Thanks for reminding me how completely lovely Mark Madden was.

Scott Hudson: "Jarret's using the box as a weapon..."

Madden: "Maybe he's taking up boxing! :v:"

:ughh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

X-Sgt. Zypygski posted:

I was at that show. It was pretty clear that the bad guys were in the ring (they were with Russo and Bischoff! How much more clear does it need to be that they're the heels?) and we were supposed to be cheering for the lineup of all the longtime big stars of WCW standing on the ramp.

Wait, we weren't? Seriously?

Yeah, the crowd was going to boo Sting and DDP standing up to the evil management.
Do any of you have any reason to believe that the New Blood were supposed to be anything but heels aside from, "I want WCW to have been dumber than they already were, god dammit!"

New Blood were always the heels. If you think otherwise you're a loving retard.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Do any of you have any reason to believe that the New Blood were supposed to be anything but heels aside from, "I want WCW to have been dumber than they already were, god dammit!"

Because the entire storyline was "THE OLD GUYS ARE HOLDING THE YOUNG GUYS DOWN" which makes the OLD GUYS LOOK LIKE HEELS. And the way Bischoff talked up the era made it sounds like the young guys were going to be babyfaces. On top of this, the initial promo Russo and Bischoff cut laid it out that way too. The old guys were huge dicks who were holding the young guys down.

And because most of the old guys were heels before the era began and Kidman and Vampiro were babyfaces.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 24, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Half or more of the old guys had been heels only one week before, with just a couple of faces (such as Sting and DDP) and the entire opening promos section was designed around the concept that the entire crowd understood the basic concept that Hogan and his ilk were notorious backstage politickers and thus would understand immediately that the young guys were pissed off because they were being held down by backstage politics instituted by a bunch of old guys that now magically INCLUDED Sting and the small number of other veterans who had been the top faces in the company.

The "DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS, SID!?!" line is a perfect microcosm of the entire retarded concept - Russo was booking based on the idea that the tiny minority of very vocal smark/internet fans represented the ENTIRETY of the wrestling fanbase. The angle fell as flat as Bischoff's line, because 90% or more of the audience didn't know anything more about wrestling other than "Hollywood Hogan is the bad guy, I wanna see Goldberg or Sting kill that guy."

Now to WCW's credit, I guess they realized as SOME point along the way that the New Blood were going down like a lead balloon and sounded like a bunch of whiney, entitled assholes and shifted things around at some point - but on that reboot night, the intention was obviously for the fans to be good little "castmembers" and accept/understand/intuit that the old guys were bad guys and the young guys were good guys, and they executed it loving horribly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I said DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS!?!

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Jerusalem posted:

I said DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS!?!
Anybody got a video clip of that?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

The very fact that the veterans were called 'The Millionaires Club' should probably clue you in to who was originally meant to be the heel faction in that storyline.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Now to WCW's credit, I guess they realized as SOME point along the way that the New Blood were going down like a lead balloon and sounded like a bunch of whiney, entitled assholes and shifted things around at some point - but on that reboot night, the intention was obviously for the fans to be good little "castmembers" and accept/understand/intuit that the old guys were bad guys and the young guys were good guys, and they executed it loving horribly.
Then why did the New Blood cheat to win in just about every match that night and do things like force the Millionaire's Club to come out without music or pyro, then make fun of them all night?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Then why did the New Blood cheat to win in just about every match that night and do things like force the Millionaire's Club to come out without music or pyro, then make fun of them all night?

It turned out after the fact that the pyro and music cue gently caress up in Luger and DDP's match was a production error. One that actually added unintentionally to the storyline and would've been a nice feature if they had kept it up.

The later matches with the millionaires club all had their full intros.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

LividLiquid posted:

Why did the fans cheer Jarrett and boo Hogan, clearly Jarrett was supposed to be the face!

Oh sorry, wrong reboot.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

Because the old guys were holding down the young guys and not letting them get clean wins with their backstage clout....

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
I saw someone mention Mark Madden and I just want to comment on how much I loving hate that fat tub of human waste. He now was an afternoon radio show where I live in Pittsburgh. He's basically your typical fat guy yelling about sports statistics and arguing with moronic white trash who call in with their own brand of stupidity. He's the absolute worst, even for lovely radio hosts.

The only moderately interesting thing he did was when Ric Flair called in his show about a year ago, except all they did is talk about college football like two pathetic old men.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

M1TCH3LL posted:

Flair comes out to cut a promo and says that wrestling is the only sport where you get kicked out for being old.

Hmmmm