Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

calandryll posted:

After watching it originally when everything came out. I watched it through again a few weeks ago. I will have to say that the last season was actually a lot better than I remember it being. Everything really did fit in with what was put in the previous seasons. It must have been the hiatus that through it off with the original viewing.

Oh I didn't mean it like "the rest of the show sucked." I actually liked season 4 a lot.

But goddamn ep 3x04 was loving amazing on so many levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Oh I didn't mean it like "the rest of the show sucked." I actually liked season 4 a lot.

But goddamn ep 3x04 was loving amazing on so many levels

Hell yes, best part was when Galactica jumped into the loving atmosphere!

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Porkchop Express posted:

I have been watching a lot of Doctor Who lately. I have seen all of the new stuff, and some of the old stuff over the years, but now I am watching all of the classic stuff.

Hell yeah this.

I've recently started a Sunday-night get-together with some friends where we watch one story a week - Edge of Destruction is this weekend, Marco Polo next week. Are you watching the reconstructions/listening to the audios?

LostBanana
Mar 8, 2005

I'm about half way through season 2 of Big Love. I didn't think I'd like this show as much as I am. The main characters are all really likable. Even Nikki. She's a bitch, but I just feel so bad for her. Poor girl is really messed up in the head. She's definitely got some anger issues.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I watched the whole season 1 of Damages in like 3 or 4 days, holy poo poo, it's better than 'the wire'.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

I watched the whole season 1 of Damages in like 3 or 4 days, holy poo poo, it's better than 'the wire'.
Does The Wire rate very lowly with you, or are you seriously hyped about Damages?

To each his own, just asking.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Just got done with Generation Kill, very entertaining but disappointingly short. Could easily watch another seven episodes.

I might netflix the first season of The Shield, that was one of my favorite shows and I'm really missing it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Dark Weasel posted:

Despite how much fun you're probably having now, don't be surprised if you all of a sudden feel the urge to stop watching the show in a few episodes. It starts getting horrible extremely quickly after a... certain point.

The finale's cool though.

Would that point be the reveal around Episode 12? It's an...interesting change of direction. How does Fire Walk With Me measure up to the series?

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Now about halfway through season 2 of Life. All I gotta say is that Charlie Crews is a great character and I'm already sad that this show was canceled.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ufarn posted:

Does The Wire rate very lowly with you, or are you seriously hyped about Damages?

To each his own, just asking.

No, the wire is one of my favorite shows, but i was totally blown away by Damages (season 1 at least). I'm about to start season 2, but i heard it's not as good, so we'll see.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Continuing with West Wing season six. The White House stuff has blown its load (and some of the writing is painful to the point where I've skipped whole episodes), but I must say the election campaign stuff is thrilling, even in the nitty gritty on the road stuff. Particularly the casting of Jimmy Smits.

So much so that I'm thinking of watching LA Law and or NYPD Blue, both of which I have barely seen. Any pointers in those directions?

Also finished Enterprise season three. Wasn't sure at the beginning what they were doing, but it turned into something really great and memorable, although the hook into season four was a bit :wtf:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Harmonica posted:

Continuing with West Wing season six. The White House stuff has blown its load (and some of the writing is painful to the point where I've skipped whole episodes), but I must say the election campaign stuff is thrilling, even in the nitty gritty on the road stuff. Particularly the casting of Jimmy Smits.

There's some hidden decent stuff in the season 6 White House episodes. 365 Days is really, really good. The Wake-Up Call is filler but it has :swoon:Annabeth:swoon: singing and any time a show has Kristin Chenoweth singing it's worth watching. And the episodes that are at the intersection of the White House and the election tend to be awesome, like Faith Based Initiative or Drought Conditions (except one little thing) or the last three episodes which is among the better arcs the show has done.

Ninety Miles Away, however, is probably the worst non-standalone episode (read: Allison Janney Emmy episodes) in the entire show's run.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Would that point be the reveal around Episode 12? It's an...interesting change of direction. How does Fire Walk With Me measure up to the series?

Yeah, it's at the reveal. The immediate aftermath is awesome, but after that there's just... nothing left. Nothing is compelling after that at all. And some of it is just aggressively stupid- at one point a character (vague non-spoiler) gets obsessed with reenacting the Civil War in his office and it's like a three-episode arc.

I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me. I will eventually, just because it's a Lynch film and I like Lynch films, but it's way low on my to-do list just based on how loving boring Twin Peaks is without the Laura Palmer story.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Harmonica posted:

Also finished Enterprise season three. Wasn't sure at the beginning what they were doing, but it turned into something really great and memorable, although the hook into season four was a bit :wtf:

It was more :barf: but fortunately the new showrunner for season 4 was able to use that to eliminate the time war by the end of the second episode, and make most of the rest of the season a much more believable prequel to TOS.

Edit: I guess I should spoiler tag that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark Weasel posted:

Yeah, it's at the reveal. The immediate aftermath is awesome, but after that there's just... nothing left. Nothing is compelling after that at all. And some of it is just aggressively stupid- at one point a character (vague non-spoiler) gets obsessed with reenacting the Civil War in his office and it's like a three-episode arc.

I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me. I will eventually, just because it's a Lynch film and I like Lynch films, but it's way low on my to-do list just based on how loving boring Twin Peaks is without the Laura Palmer story.

Well David Lynch was gone after the Laura Palmer story so he has nothing to do with the second part of season 2 exept for the finale. The movie is also all about Laura Palmer's life up to her death and a insane David Bowie cameo.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Well David Lynch was gone after the Laura Palmer story so he has nothing to do with the second part of season 2 exept for the finale. The movie is also all about Laura Palmer's life up to her death and a insane David Bowie cameo.

Exactly. The movie still intrigues me, but man the show goes straight to hell.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I seem to binge The Sopranos in two-season bursts. Got through seasons 1+2 sometime in late 2008, then did 3+4, but haven't touched 5 since I finished it a couple of weeks back. I'll probably go for it in a few months.

I've also been binging the US version of The Office - up to season 4 right now, and it's really good. Angela is the best character.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Babylon 5. There's a lot of terrible dialogue in season 1, the cgi doesn't hold up, and I cant loving stand Jeffrey Sinclair. Hopefully seasons 2-4 will be a great as I remember them.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm halfway through season 4 of Oz, and I think I'm gonna bail. I thought the first two seasons were really good, and even some parts of season 3 were cool, but it's just gotten ridiculous now. The never-loving-ending series of bullshit happenings between Beecher, Keller and Shillinger are just tiresome now. And the aging drugs....I just don't know how much I care about seeing the remaining two and a half seasons.

Mistress Khary
Jan 27, 2005

And if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
I watched all NCIS episodes over the span of about 3 weeks. And i've watched all the episodes of Modern Family in the past week. Next up is probably Big Love, I had started watching it when it came out and liked it, I just haven't been following it since.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Cromulent posted:

I'm halfway through season 4 of Oz, and I think I'm gonna bail. I thought the first two seasons were really good, and even some parts of season 3 were cool, but it's just gotten ridiculous now. The never-loving-ending series of bullshit happenings between Beecher, Keller and Shillinger are just tiresome now. And the aging drugs....I just don't know how much I care about seeing the remaining two and a half seasons.

If you made it this far, I'd say it's worth sticking out to the end. The series finale is good and there are some decent episodes along the way.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm about to finish Deadwood and its really a bummer, because i know that it finishes abruptly. :( i love it so much, its become on of my favourite shows. Al Swearengan is such a lovable rear end in a top hat, and is acted incredibly well. I have no idea what to watch next though. Possibly Carnivale? I have the chinese fake dvds somewhere around here i think.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
Just caught up with all the UK Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I've had a long standing hatred for the show, but I am literally out of things to watch, so I'm now into Entourage I just thought the first three seasons were cheesy when I first watched them while airing. These douches who just talk about themselves; it was just so self absorbed. But after learning to love Nip/Tuck, hopefully I can apply the same likeability to this group of guys.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I just finished Farscape and loved the hell out of it. I just started on Babylon 5 season 1 and I'm having a really hard time looking past the hideous mid 90's computer game CG, please tell me it's worth pushing through.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I just finished Farscape and loved the hell out of it. I just started on Babylon 5 season 1 and I'm having a really hard time looking past the hideous mid 90's computer game CG, please tell me it's worth pushing through.

From what I've read season 1 sucks compared to the rest.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah. The CG does improve a bit after that point too. The crappy sets and shaky acting (outside of about 3 characters) never do though.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I've read season 1 sucks compared to the rest.

Yeah, supposedly Babylon 5 is one of the greatest things of all time or whatever but everyone says you really have to trudge your way through the first season because it's so mediocre compared to the greatness of the rest of the seasons.

I personally haven't managed to get more than four episodes into the first season before turning it off again. I might make it through one of these days.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I couldn't get past the pilot, it's that bad and cheesy. I'll try to trudge through it again someday.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I couldn't get past the pilot, it's that bad and cheesy. I'll try to trudge through it again someday.

The pilot is absolutely terrible so just skip it, anything important in it is reiterated in the series anyway.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

guys, i like mad men now.

scratch that, i love mad men now. halfway through season 2 now! like everyone said, the character development is what grabs you. (i want to be don draper).

Backstage Larry
Sep 20, 2004

"Unless you consider worlds coolest daddy a job."
Working my way thru The Shield right now, just finished season 2 and am loving every minute of it!

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, supposedly Babylon 5 is one of the greatest things of all time or whatever but everyone says you really have to trudge your way through the first season because it's so mediocre compared to the greatness of the rest of the seasons.

It's an incredible show, but season 1 is mediocre at best and painfully tedious at worst. I know it's asking a lot to slog through 22 episodes, but it really is worth it. While the effects are terribly dated and the dialogue does get over the top at times, it's well worth putting up with the awful first season for the payoff later on. The graphics do get better, but they're still nothing to write home about. Star Trek: DS9 had a budget of approximately 2 million dollars per episode, Babylon 5 had a budget of around 200K. They did the best with what they had.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Backstage Larry posted:

Working my way thru The Shield right now, just finished season 2 and am loving every minute of it!

It only gets better. If you haven't been spoiled already though, stay the gently caress out of any Shield thread you may see.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Ratatozsk posted:

It only gets better. If you haven't been spoiled already though, stay the gently caress out of any Shield thread you may see.
And Sons of Anarchy threads.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

jeffersonlives posted:

There's some hidden decent stuff in the season 6 White House episodes.

Hah - I actually found 365 Days to be unwatchably awful! For me, everything was wrong about that episode. Too glib and schmaltzy. I ended up skipping through it just seeing the plotpoints, and quickly watching the next election episode to clear my head of it.

Just finished the season, campaign stuff was really great and made it worth watching. I understand why they had to do White House stuff, but for me the whole switch in focus meant it lost a lot of impact. The intercutting worked well towards the end and they really should have done a lot more of that - rather than the 'two WH episodes followed by a campaign episode'.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

It was more :barf: but fortunately the new showrunner for season 4 was able to use that to eliminate the time war by the end of the second episode, and make most of the rest of the season a much more believable prequel to TOS.

Edit: I guess I should spoiler tag that.

Meh, I read that spoiler anyway. I don't take Enterprise that seriously that I avoid spoilers ;)

After Enterprise, my plan is to go boldly with TNG, DS9 and then Voyager (the only other series I've seen most of) in that order. Is that a decent binge plan?

Is it worth watching TOS for any storyline chronology, or can I skip it having watched many odd episodes on different occasions? (it's fun and cool but it didn't strike me as having much in the way of drama)

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm about to finish Deadwood and its really a bummer, because i know that it finishes abruptly.

The finale of Deadwood is one of the most crushing anti-finales to any TV show. Be prepared for it. You just have to suck it up and imagine what could have happened if it had gone on for a few more seasons.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 25, 2010

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

I know I'm a little behind, but I just finished Season 2 of Lost and while I'm glad they answered quite a few questions, I can't imagine where they'll take the series. From what I can tell without reading spoilers, the next 2 seasons drag out a bit. Please tell me I'm wrong and that it's worth catching the next seasons.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender last night and it was an awesome show the entire way through. There were maybe one or two episodes that were slow/boring out of the entire three seasons. Also, the episode immediately preceding the 4-part series finale was absolutely hilarious.

There is no way that the fights in the live-action movie can possibly be as good as they are in the show.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 25, 2010

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

chrix posted:

I know I'm a little behind, but I just finished Season 2 of Lost and while I'm glad they answered quite a few questions, I can't imagine where they'll take the series. From what I can tell without reading spoilers, the next 2 seasons drag out a bit. Please tell me I'm wrong and that it's worth catching the next seasons.

The first 6 or 7 episodes of season three are pretty stretched out but once it gets past the season's halfway point it rally starts picking up steam. Season 4 and 5 are both crazy fast in comparison to the ones before them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Harmonica posted:

Is it worth watching TOS for any storyline chronology, or can I skip it having watched many odd episodes on different occasions? (it's fun and cool but it didn't strike me as having much in the way of drama)

There isn't much in TOS that passes for storyline chronology. The series can barely keep continuity with itself, let alone with the other series. However, you should watch TOS for the storytelling and character interactions. A bunch of the episodes beat you over the head with their message (I'm looking at you, "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield"), but overall it's decent Trek.