Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
On another note: I'm trying to create a search shortcut for Etsy and Amazon.co.uk. I've made a %s search query and entered the URL, but without any luck. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ufarn posted:

On another note: I'm trying to create a search shortcut for Etsy and Amazon.co.uk. I've made a %s search query and entered the URL, but without any luck. What am I doing wrong?

Why not just go to etsy.com/amazon.co.uk and right click the search box? Lets you create search keyword without editing any URLs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Casao posted:

Why not just go to etsy.com/amazon.co.uk and right click the search box? Lets you create search keyword without editing any URLs.
Cool, I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Heresiarch posted:

Theora as a codec isn't terrible. The problem is that the encoding tools available are very primitive by comparison to anything that's come out of MPEG lately.

More importantly, though, can we take the religious arguments to another thread or something?
They're really not that bad. I mean even John Gruber figured it out.

Meiji Mangaka
Jun 30, 2009

by mons al-madeen
What they really need to do is just use your system codecs. There are arguments against it but they're probably much weaker arguments than those against shipping with H.264 itself, and it offloads any patent/licensing responsibility to the end user. There are probably problems with multiplatform or something, but having to fall back to Theora sometimes is better than only having Theora all the time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can you guys not just make another codec thread? There are a lot of interesting things to be said about the matter - I've read some interesting links regarding it - but they are tangential to this thread's topic.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I remember being able to remove the File, Edit, View, Bookmarks, Widgets, Tools, Help bar when I used vista. I switched to 7 kinda recently and can't seem to figure out how to remove it. Help!

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Total Fat Guy posted:

I remember being able to remove the File, Edit, View, Bookmarks, Widgets, Tools, Help bar when I used vista. I switched to 7 kinda recently and can't seem to figure out how to remove it. Help!

File | Show Menu Bar

Edit: VVVV
How would Gstreamer work in Windows if it uses OSS?

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 25, 2010

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

^^ I meant open source software, not open sound system, sorry.

Meiji Mangaka posted:

What they really need to do is just use your system codecs. There are arguments against it but they're probably much weaker arguments than those against shipping with H.264 itself, and it offloads any patent/licensing responsibility to the end user. There are probably problems with multiplatform or something, but having to fall back to Theora sometimes is better than only having Theora all the time.

Reading the opera blog stuff, it looks like they couldn't go with direct show codecs because direct show doesn't support streaming (and it would suck to wait for something to download before watching) so they're using gstreamer which is a cross platform direct-show like interface.

Gstreamer supports ffmpeg (and therefore H.264) but opera has to follow software patents so they can't distribute the proper codec plugin. Gstreamer is OSS so its just a matter of installing a plugin for it (gst-plugins-bad) in opera to support other codecs, which the version in linux already supports.

Google has heaps of cash, and they probably don't have to pay much more to get the licence for chrome as they probably have a decent one already for youtube.

Charun fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 25, 2010

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Anunnaki posted:

File | Show Menu Bar

Oh. Welp, thanks !

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone else have the problem of all spoiler tags in the forum breaking (as in, displaying the text white on black instead of black on black) when you activate "fit to width"? Has been around for years as far as i can remember.

Also this one is funny: http://my.opera.com/Z1-AV69/blog/z1-glass-for-opera-10-5-build-3206

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also this one is funny: http://my.opera.com/Z1-AV69/blog/z1-glass-for-opera-10-5-build-3206

thats beautiful, thanks

e: once they get it working properly so the tab bar doesn't have to be on the left side for the transparency to work fully, it will be great.

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 27, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

spoiler tags in the forum breaking

Yes.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Facebook's retarded built-in instant messenger hosed up the whole site for me.

Since it loses focus every time I receive a message(?!) I hit some key that must have disabled images - but in a weird way. Usually I can just hit the "i" key and they turn back on, but now it refuses to load an image if that image has never been loaded before.

I have to hit "i" on every page I load to get pictures. This includes linking out of facebook to an external site. Images don't load if opera has never seen them before.

I just upgraded to 10.10 hoping that would fix it, but no. Any ideas?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The download link for the Something Awful QuickMenu, v.1.9 seems to be 404'ing. Is there another place i can find this? Google doesn't seem to turn anything up.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Great, a customer for almost a decade, and they kill my web space. loving ISPs.

I'll work out a new location for hosting of the QuickMenu.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Great, a customer for almost a decade, and they kill my web space. loving ISPs.

I'll work out a new location for hosting of the QuickMenu.

I'll mirror it when I get home tonight (or sooner, if you email draecas@gmail.com with it)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

AnimalChin posted:

I have to hit "i" on every page I load to get pictures. This includes linking out of facebook to an external site. Images don't load if opera has never seen them before.

I just upgraded to 10.10 hoping that would fix it, but no. Any ideas?

The View->Images menu has three settings: Show Images, Cached Images and No Images.
Sounds like you have it set on Cached Images.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Wheany posted:

The View->Images menu has three settings: Show Images, Cached Images and No Images.
Sounds like you have it set on Cached Images.

Holy crap. :doh: Thanks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone else have the problem of all spoiler tags in the forum breaking (as in, displaying the text white on black instead of black on black) when you activate "fit to width"? Has been around for years as far as i can remember.

To be honest, I see it as a feature.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

someone posted a while back a problem about things getting screwed up while trying to rmb->mousewheel scroll through tabs with an in-page pdf open. the mouse loses all left click functionality, and I become stuck in the pdf. Its fixed by alt tabbing out, then mouse functionality is restored.

this has been happening in the last several releases, at least. anyone know of a workaround?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That has been happening since ever, with any sort of plugin, be it flash, java or pdf.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

hm figured as much. I've been using opera forever I only noticed it around opera 9.5 ish. Its killing me because I'm swimming in pdfs for a design project this semester :0

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

someone posted a while back a problem about things getting screwed up while trying to rmb->mousewheel scroll through tabs with an in-page pdf open. the mouse loses all left click functionality, and I become stuck in the pdf. Its fixed by alt tabbing out, then mouse functionality is restored.

this has been happening in the last several releases, at least. anyone know of a workaround?
Can you not just change the MIME settings to open the .pdf in a program rather than the browser?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

Can you not just change the MIME settings to open the .pdf in a program rather than the browser?

got it, thanks.

this userjs file for opening filetypes without opening a 'blank' window is also really useful. makes my pdf experience much better.
http://my.opera.com/Lee_Harvey/blog/show.dml/190924
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/userjs/using/ <- to enable userjs

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the Steam price-comparison script not working for anyone else? Both the alpha and standard edition.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
For everyone using gestures and opera 10.50 alpha who hasnt figured it out yet:
Open opera:config , search for "gesture" and set the Treshhold to 0. Save, should be the regular old behavior now.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 30, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For everyone using gestures and opera 10.50 alpha who hasnt figured it out yet:
Open opera:config , search for "gesture" and set the Treshhold to 0. Save, should be the regular old behavior now.
Thanks so much for this. All I need now is the right click "copy address" crashing bug fixed and this'll be golden.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blodskur posted:

All I need now is the right click "copy address" crashing bug fixed and this'll be golden.
God yes. And the whacky flash 'support' thats just horribly messed up (at least for me) at the moment.

Who knows, maybe theyll even fix the rendering problems when switching presentation modes (from/to High Contrast W/B for example) after a tab has loaded.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New version.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

quote:

Fixed DSK-276636 (The skin-entry "clearbackground=1" doesn't work for important sections of the skin under all tabbar positions.)
Fixed DSK-275538 (crash when moving a bookmark)
Fixed CORE-27094 (Fix gestures triggerring unreliably)
Fixed DSK-266018 (Middle-click panning doesn't work)

along with a ton of other fixes.

Hell
yes!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah but

quote:

Known issues
Freeze on right clicking link and choosing "Save linked content as"
Menu icons missing on Windows
Javascript regression that makes Facebook unusable
Some features of Widgets for Desktop don't work correctly on Unix and Mac

Not yet :(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

new paging out of speed dial gives a blank page for me instead of speed dial.

I can't get speed dial transparency working either :(

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

new paging out of speed dial gives a blank page for me instead of speed dial.

I can't get speed dial transparency working either :(
Same. If you make a new tab from a open site it creates a Blank Page one, if you create a new tab from a Blank Page one it creates a regular Speed Dial tab.

The Glass skin probably isnt updated to work with any non-right tabbar placement yet.

Does adding new apps from http://unite.opera.com/applications/ work for anybody?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

edit: nevermind I did something weird

Xansabar
Jan 12, 2006

Old sun and stars,
And oceans below me
I hate to ask a stupid question that may have been answered a million times, but when I try and go to facebook all I get is a blank page for every part of the site. Is there some program incompatabilty with the site, or is there a setting I have to change somewhere?

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Answered once, 4 posts above you in Lakitu7's quote. Its a known bug.

They're working on it, there's a reason they advice not to use the alpha as a main browser. Come back when its a RC.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Same. If you make a new tab from a open site it creates a Blank Page one, if you create a new tab from a Blank Page one it creates a regular Speed Dial tab.

The Glass skin probably isnt updated to work with any non-right tabbar placement yet.

Does adding new apps from http://unite.opera.com/applications/ work for anybody?

supposedly the newest version is fully working (all tabbar placements) with the newest alpha and the screenshot shows as much :(

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Hey Google Wave works now. Now if only I had a reason to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

supposedly the newest version is fully working (all tabbar placements) with the newest alpha and the screenshot shows as much :(
Works for me. Except if you're talking about a maximized window, but that's because windows doesn't render fully hidden programs (anything behind an opaque maximized window) i guess.