Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
P.S. Someone explain "Bu-Bubble" to me. Is it supposed to be a pun on the name of a British fashion magazine or something? I'm mystified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Entropic posted:

P.S. Someone explain "Bu-Bubble" to me. Is it supposed to be a pun on the name of a British fashion magazine or something? I'm mystified.

It really sounds that way but I've got no bloody idea.

Probably because I'm so unfashionable.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Entropic posted:

Most of the cameos were a bit dull, too. When Vimes showed up in, say, Monstrous Regiment, he was hilarious, but when he showed up in UA it was to a resounding "so what"?

I still have high hopes for Raising Taxes though.

I liked his cameo in UA, he was just Vimes being pissed off that the city was so close to out and out riot. The universe does continue outside of what's going on in the books, it's nice to see that happening. The Koom Valley thing was a big part of some of the more recent books, and I liked that it was solved off screen with help from Vimes in his duties as a Duke. As much as I love Watch books, it's nice to get away from them for a bit.

And looking at the casting for Going Postal, most of it looks pretty good. They keep switching Vetinari around, but the current one looks like he could really pull it off.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
On the BBC Iplayer there's currently a dramatization of Mort. So far only two episodes have been made. Episode 1 and Episode 2

I can't really vouch for the quality of them as I have only really started listening to them myself, but I figured they might be of interest to some people here.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Entropic posted:

Most of the cameos were a bit dull, too. When Vimes showed up in, say, Monstrous Regiment, he was hilarious, but when he showed up in UA it was to a resounding "so what"?

I think the portrayal of Vimes is highly dependent on the eyes he's seen through. We're not going to get to see a tender side of him when he's going about the busines of being a copper.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
BBC 7 Pratchett season is on to Guards! Guards! now, iplayer radio works where ever in the world you are. It's up to part 4, part 1 expires on the 22nd.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
30th of January some Art Centre's around the country are screening a live link to the Theatrical version of Nation. :)

Izz
May 1, 2006

Jekub posted:

BBC 7 Pratchett season is on to Guards! Guards! now, iplayer radio works where ever in the world you are. It's up to part 4, part 1 expires on the 22nd.

They are doing Small Gods now. Part 1 is on iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00b1p28/Small_Gods_Episode_1/

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Izz posted:

They are doing Small Gods now. Part 1 is on iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00b1p28/Small_Gods_Episode_1/

I must admit, I've never listened to an audio dramatisation of a book before. This is *brilliant*. Its totally loving awesome.

Edit: drat. This is really, *really* good.

Edit: Of course, it helps that 'Small Gods' is one of Pratchett's very best works. The Discworld came of age. Rather than being a simple Fantasy pastiche that was ball-bouncily funny, we got a deconstruction of faith and religion... that was also ball bouncily funny.

Edit: I'm listening to the "Guards! Guards!" dramatisation now. Carrot is Welsh[1] and Dibbler is Irish, and its totally baking my noodle :psyduck:

[1] Llamedos is Welsh (at least, that is the impression I got), but Carrot is from Copperhead, is he not?

magimix fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 24, 2010

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How come that works in Firefox on my laptop but not in Safari on my iPod Touch connected to the same wifi network? The Safari version is UK-only apparently?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

magimix posted:

I must admit, I've never listened to an audio dramatisation of a book before. This is *brilliant*. Its totally loving awesome.

Edit: drat. This is really, *really* good.

Edit: Of course, it helps that 'Small Gods' is one of Pratchett's very best works. The Discworld came of age. Rather than being a simple Fantasy pastiche that was ball-bouncily funny, we got a deconstruction of faith and religion... that was also ball bouncily funny.

Edit: I'm listening to the "Guards! Guards!" dramatisation now. Carrot is Welsh[1] and Dibbler is Irish, and its totally baking my noodle :psyduck:

[1] Llamedos is Welsh (at least, that is the impression I got), but Carrot is from Copperhead, is he not?

Carrot doesn't work for me unless I hear the voice of Lieutenant George http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMwXMLQAoSg (for any of our American friends, he's the one played by House).

Dibbler would work great for me in Northern Irish because frankly we're all a bunch of Dibblers, but sadly that's not what's been used here. Still fine though. Sybil is bloody perfect too. And Nobby. And Colon. God drat but this beats the hell out of Tony Robinson.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 24, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Call me crazy, I finished UA (Not his best but I enjoyed it dammit!) but isn't Dr Lawn a quite obvious Dr House reference?

I am looking forward to this Sky Production of Making Money now that I've seen Moist and he doesn't look some ancient wanker from an overrated seventies comedy.

EDIT: Voices wise, The Discworld games had an excellent voice for Vetinarii and Ridcully and a few other characters. I can't picture Rincewind not sound like a whinier Eric Idle too.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

isn't Dr Lawn a quite obvious Dr House reference?

Dr. Lawn was introduced in Night Watch, published in 2002. House debuted on Fox in the fall of 2004.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

shadok posted:

Dr. Lawn was introduced in Night Watch, published in 2002. House debuted on Fox in the fall of 2004.

To be fair, I haven't read Night Watch since late 2003.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nilbop posted:

Carrot doesn't work for me unless I hear the voice of Lieutenant George http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMwXMLQAoSg (for any of our American friends, he's the one played by House).

I always imagined Carrot having a vaguely Scandinavian accent for some reason. He's done that way in the Guards! Guards! radio play and it works beautifully.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Entropic posted:

I always imagined Carrot having a vaguely Scandinavian accent for some reason. He's done that way in the Guards! Guards! radio play and it works beautifully.

Same here, actually. Maybe not so much having a vaguely Scandinavian accent so much as just being vaguely Scandinavian. I'm American though, so if I don't consciously think British they all just sound American in my head unless they're obviously written with an accent, like the trolls. If anything, though, he'd have a Dwarvish accent (Whatever that would sound like. I assume something like John Rhys Davies as Gimli).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Izz posted:

Yup. Brilliant. Thanks, Post pt 2 when they get to it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I remember Carrot being Welsh in the first Discworld adventure game. Fits pretty well, in fact dwarves being Welsh in general fits well with Pratchett, what with the mining and all that.

e: Just listened to that Small Gods one. Excellent stuff.

John Charity Spring fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 24, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welsh Carrot is the only way to go, yeah.

The art style in the first two Discworld games is completely blown out of the water by the new Paul Kidby stuff.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I agree. I do find Kirby's stuff has certain charm to it though, mainly because some of the links are really, really tenous and often times I can look at one of his covers and not work out who anyone is supposed to be. I sometimes wonder if he was just given a vague outline of the book and the characters and was set loose on it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kirbys stuff had eighties fantasy charm but he always drew characters as generic looking Wizard/Witch.

Rincewind on several covers seems to have aged several decades ahead from the story.

Anywho, I think Terry may call it a day on the fortieth book and may reward us with another light Last Hero book or a couple of Troll Bridge style compilations.

It is such a shame he won't be able to make it to fifty :(.

Anyone think we might get another Mr Nutt book or perhaps a final Watch/Death related one? Brother Oak the Omnian Priest sounds like he might get one too.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 24, 2010

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also Vimes works reasonably well when I imagine him as Bruce Willis, in one of his ´disillusioned cop´ roles. I´ve only just started Men at Arms, though.

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anywho, I think Terry may call it a day on the fortieth book and may reward us with another light Last Hero book or a couple of Troll Bridge style compilations.

It is such a shame he won't be able to make it to fifty :(.

Anyone think we might get another Mr Nutt book or perhaps a final Watch/Death related one? Brother Oak the Omnian Priest sounds like he might get one too.

Well, he has 3 more books to go through before reaching 40. It seems he has enough material left for those.

The next one will be a Tiffany Aching story, which will probably be her final coming-of-age story into full witch-hood. That would be a good way to end the witches storyline, her being Granny's successor.

Then comes Raising Taxes, which is going to be about Lipwig's government work. I could see that one being the last of the Ankh-Morpork stories. Vetinari has been potentially grooming Vimes, Carrot and Moist to run the city if he ever stepped down, and all 3 could do it for different reasons. I could see that being the finale for the politics of Ankh-Morpork storylines.

Then comes the 40th book, which has no plot or anything (but has a working title of Scouting for Trolls).

If Pratchett is a forward thinker, and I think he is, he'll start wrapping up the plot threads soon. I could see him making the Final Discworld Book be Rincewind's Final Adventure, nicely capping the series from beginning to end. This could also serve as a Death book, as he and Rincewind have a history. The Last Hero would've been a good one to end it all on, but fortunately he was able to keep going.

I'm surprised he hasn't used the loophole of Lu-Tze and the Time Monks to clear up the earlier plotholes from the first books, maybe he still will to make the entire series more flowing and cohesive.

Vetinari fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 25, 2010

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

John Dough posted:

Also Vimes works reasonably well when I imagine him as Bruce Willis, in one of his ´disillusioned cop´ roles. I´ve only just started Men at Arms, though.

Vimes will always be Philip Glenister to me.

Which is strange, because I think his brother would be a brilliant Fred Colon as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vetinari posted:

Well, he has 3 more books to go through before reaching 40. It seems he has enough material left for those.

The next one will be a Tiffany Aching story, which will probably be her final coming-of-age story into full witch-hood. That would be a good way to end the witches storyline, her being Granny's successor.

Then comes Raising Taxes, which is going to be about Lipwig's government work. I could see that one being the last of the Ankh-Morpork stories. Vetinari has been potentially grooming Vimes, Carrot and Moist to run the city if he ever stepped down, and all 3 could do it for different reasons. I could see that being the finale for the politics of Ankh-Morpork storylines.

Then comes the 40th book, which has no plot or anything (but has a working title of Scouting for Trolls).

If Pratchett is a forward thinker, and I think he is, he'll start wrapping up the plot threads soon. I could see him making the Final Discworld Book be Rincewind's Final Adventure, nicely capping the series from beginning to end. This could also serve as a Death book, as he and Rincewind have a history. The Last Hero would've been a good one to end it all on, but fortunately he was able to keep going.

I'm surprised he hasn't used the loophole of Lu-Tze and the Time Monks to clear up the earlier plotholes from the first books, maybe he still will to make the entire series more flowing and cohesive.

Heh, the last one sounds the most interesting to me. I personally think Soul Music was one of his best but thats just me y'know?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I personally think Soul Music was one of his best but thats just me y'know?

I wanted to like that book, but it just didn't really click. Still better than Moving Pictures though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Call me an old sop but the mental image of Death standing proud about to strike a fantasy electric guitar with a broken glimmering pick that was part of his broken scythe blade makes me all :black101: inside.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

LooseChanj posted:

I wanted to like that book, but it just didn't really click. Still better than Moving Pictures though.

It was drat near the same book.

I'm sad that the next book will be a witches book. Those always bored me to tears.

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl

LooseChanj posted:

Moving Pictures and Soul Music were from a weird period where Pratchett cared more about the parody than the characters. Eric and Reaper Man are from this time, too.

They don't really "fit" that well into the entire Discworld storyline.

All of those have one-shot characters who don't seem to really do much or matter overall. Unseen Academicals had a similar flaw, though it was still better than them.

My guess is that he was experimenting different characterizations in those years, because he also came up with Small Gods, often viewed as one of his best.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Kynetx posted:

I'm sad that the next book will be a witches book. Those always bored me to tears.

Are you crazy the Tiffany Aching books are some of the best he's written.

Izz
May 1, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Yup. Brilliant. Thanks, Post pt 2 when they get to it.

Part 2: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00b50xj/Small_Gods_Episode_2/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thank you. Prominently bookmarked for later.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Vetinari posted:

Moving Pictures and Soul Music were from a weird period where Pratchett cared more about the parody than the characters. Eric and Reaper Man are from this time, too.

They don't really "fit" that well into the entire Discworld storyline.

All of those have one-shot characters who don't seem to really do much or matter overall. Unseen Academicals had a similar flaw, though it was still better than them.

My guess is that he was experimenting different characterizations in those years, because he also came up with Small Gods, often viewed as one of his best.
Aye. I absolutely love the Bill Door side of Reaper Man but the organic supermarket parasites can get to gently caress, ugh.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

John Charity Spring posted:

Aye. I absolutely love the Bill Door side of Reaper Man but the organic supermarket parasites can get to gently caress, ugh.

While I can't really deny that the whole evil shopping carts plotline was pretty dumb, it was still pretty awesome to see the wizards all excited to kick some rear end. The scenes where they're all pumped up and randomly shooting off fireballs are some of my favorite UU Faculty scenes in the series.

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl
It occurs to me that Pratchett CAN do good one-shot characters.

The Truth, Wee Free Men, Small Gods, Going Postal, these produced good new characters to the Discworld. And in the case of Postal/Wee Free, produced one popular enough to return.

Monstrous Regiment is sort of on the fence, Polly was interesting but the story fell apart in the last half, sadly.

Vetinari fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 26, 2010

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Just listened to Small Gods ep 2. Fantastic stuff - genuinely dramatic climax and it includes some of my favourite passages of philosophising from the book. The stuff about a 'shell' accumulating around gods is one of those things that has stuck in my mind since I first read it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vetinari posted:

It occurs to me that Pratchett CAN do good one-shot characters.

The Truth, Wee Free Men, Small Gods, Going Postal, these produced good new characters to the Discworld. And in the case of Postal/Wee Free, produced one popular enough to return.

Monstrous Regiment is sort of on the fence, Polly was interesting but the story fell apart in the last half, sadly.

I would have reread that if the ending wasn't everyone is womminz! it seriously threw me off having to reimagine everyone in those last few scenes.

And I think the Wizards actually going all Gandalf in Reaper Man is awesome. I can't get into the Tiffany Aching series too though. Some dick in the City of Heroes forums once pointed out Pratchetts difficulty in writing female characters and I can't shake that comment off.

Anyone else got slightly creeped out in Thud! with the whole naked Angua and Sally covered in mud underneath the Strip Club bit?

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, I always thought that part was slightly odd, until I realized it was Pratchett mocking fanfiction sex fantasies since nothing actually happens.

Naked, covered in mud, itching to fight and already at a strip club...and they yell at Nobby to fix it.

Sort of like him flipping off everyone in a "did you guys SERIOUSLY think there was going to be a mud wrestling lesbian strip scene? Really?"

As for MR, it does seem a little silly as well, but realistically, the entire book was about how women can do the same jobs as men, especially in times of war. Most of us probably weren't alive during WW2, but back then, there was a shortage of men so women stepped up to shore up the working men's frontlines across the world. Makes sense Pratchett's generation would still remember that era.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Vetinari posted:

Yeah, I always thought that part was slightly odd, until I realized it was Pratchett mocking fanfiction sex fantasies since nothing actually happens.

Naked, covered in mud, itching to fight and already at a strip club...and they yell at Nobby to fix it.

Sort of like him flipping off everyone in a "did you guys SERIOUSLY think I was going to be a mud wrestling lesbian strip scene in? Really?"

It did amuse me that Pratchett hung a lantern on that one too, what with Sally's 'paying audience' quip.

Actually, now I think on it, for all that it covered some meaty themes (that were unneringly topical, as the book came out shortly after the London tube bombings), there was some real fruity humour too.

Colon's 'minge drinking' malapropism was especially :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I think Tiffany Aching and young Susan in Soul Music were great and believable young female characters (taking into account that Susan is half-human and thus somewhat outside of normal anyway). I love Tiffany and wish I'd been able to read about her when I was younger.

His problem seems to be in writing romance. Angua and Sally fighting over Carrot in Thud! was cringe-worthy and not at all realistic. Angua in general has been getting worse as a character throughout the books. Ginger from Moving Pictures is just a caricature. Adora Belle Dearheart and Moist he also doesn't seem to know what to do with and their whole relationship is baffling.

Polly was okay because she didn't have any romantic feelings at any point, so he wrote her like she was a man basically.

The only two successful romances he's ever been able to portray were 1) William and Sacharissa since it was told mostly from William's point of view and it sort of happened all in 2 pages and 2) Susan and Lobsang, which was a legitimately romantic story that supplemented the meat of the book.

Edit: I should say that Tiffany and Susan's young crushes (Roland and Buddy) were also portrayed realistically and I find them very sweet, which may be another reason I like those characters so much.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 26, 2010