Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

the Bunt posted:

So is Treasure not quite a good showcase for the Cocteau Twins sound? It's the only one I've heard and I love it to death. My favorite song is "Lorelei", which is the one that got me interested in the band.

Everything else is a little more accessible than Treasure, at least from my perspective.

It's hard to exactly explain what I mean, though, and I think that's part of the allure of Cocteau Twins. What it comes down to for me is that I can "sing along" (whatever that means in this context) with songs from the other albums but not from Treasure. If you liked Treasure, go pick up Head over Heels and Heaven or Las Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

The Consultant posted:

noise. i like Merzbow and Gerogerigegege but everything else i found (i honestly haven't looked very hard) just sounded like people messing around with sound effects rather than fully realized noise compositions.

You might enjoy Glenn Branca- an influential No Wave composer who was one of the first to show the real artistic value in noise. Unfortunately good quality recordings of his work are fairly hard to come by, but to get an idea of what he's like, here's a couple of youtubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz7cUw4Ls&feature=related - Solo performance in 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fVUFJf4oE&feature=related - Lesson No.1 for Electric Guitar

In fact, the No Wave scene in general seems like it would be a good place to look for noise, as it was all about making atonal, chordless monstrosities

Teenage Jesus & The Jerks- "Orphans"
Teenage Jesus & The Jerks- "Race Mixing"
Sonic Youth- "I Wanna Be Your Dog"
Theoretical Girls- "Computer Dating"
Mars- "Helen Forsyth"

And for older stuff, definatly check out Lou Reeds "Metal Machine Music" and some early Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band stuff. Don't listen to your dad- They're great!

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Per the title of the thread, where do I start with Ben Harper? Like everyone else I saw him last night on the finale of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian during the ending musical number and want to find out which albums I should look at first.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

You might enjoy Glenn Branca- an influential No Wave composer who was one of the first to show the real artistic value in noise. Unfortunately good quality recordings of his work are fairly hard to come by, but to get an idea of what he's like, here's a couple of youtubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz7cUw4Ls&feature=related - Solo performance in 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fVUFJf4oE&feature=related - Lesson No.1 for Electric Guitar

In fact, the No Wave scene in general seems like it would be a good place to look for noise, as it was all about making atonal, chordless monstrosities

Teenage Jesus & The Jerks- "Orphans"
Teenage Jesus & The Jerks- "Race Mixing"
Sonic Youth- "I Wanna Be Your Dog"
Theoretical Girls- "Computer Dating"
Mars- "Helen Forsyth"

And for older stuff, definatly check out Lou Reeds "Metal Machine Music" and some early Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band stuff. Don't listen to your dad- They're great!

if you're into the no wave stuff there's a band with your name all over it from manchester called Kong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqhY31PBug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLYuQSXcov4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=378DxzlBIU0

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
^^ Wow, this is awesome. And from my own hometown as well!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone know some good country tracks? I heard rodeo by Garth brooks and Friends in low places. I am intrigued.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Anyone know some good country tracks? I heard rodeo by Garth brooks and Friends in low places. I am intrigued.

He was basically the most popular American entertainer of the 1990s. If you like Garth Brooks, any compilation of his many hits should work for you. Contemporary pop country is not a form that emphasizes albums as a whole, and there really aren't any "difficult" works that require context to appreciate. It's all designed to be accessible and radio-ready. If you're looking for more like that just start with other huge stars of that time, like Alan Jackson or Tim McGraw.

A lot of people who consider themselves fans of traditional country music don't care much for modern mainstream stuff like this, though, so if you want a broader perspective on a huge genre that encompasses a lot of stuff beyond more than the kind of music listed above, feel free to ask for more details later.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 25, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

drainpipe posted:

I like Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa. Where should I go? I'm aware that Philip Glass is related, but he has too many works. Where's a good starting point?
I'm not sure Philip Glass is that similar to Part really, but he is still pretty good. If you want more Arvo Part, pretty much all of his stuff is great but my favourites after Tabula Rasa are Spiegel im Spiegel and the choral work De Profundis

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
I always thought The Appleseed Cast was more shoegazey post-rocky stuff, but I just got the split they did with Planes Mistaken for Stars and Race Car Riot and was blown the gently caress away by "Tale of the Aftermath". Do they have more material in that same vein or was it just a one-off sort of thing?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Where to start with choral music in general? Any groups to look for recordings from, compilations, etc?

I enjoy Palestrina's Missa Pro Defunctis and Motets, and some of the Red Army Choir's recordings, but don't know where to go next.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Are there any Rasputina songs similar to and as good as "Gingerbread Coffin"? My second favorite is "The New Zero", but these songs aren't totally representative of the band's general sound.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Where to start with choral music in general? Any groups to look for recordings from, compilations, etc?

I enjoy Palestrina's Missa Pro Defunctis and Motets, and some of the Red Army Choir's recordings, but don't know where to go next.

Don't have time to type up an essay so I can't be as helpful as I'd like but here's an abbreviated brain dump:

Palestrina was a relatively late Renaissance composer. If you especially like that style of polyphony go back a little to the Franco-Flemish School (wiki them I guess), des Prez, Dufay and Ockeghem are the most famous people there. Check Ockeghem's Missa prolationum. Also check the late English Renaissance composers, William Byrd and Thomas Tallis (youtube 'Spem in alium', play it loud).

Moving forward, Bach has days and days worth of vocal music, I would eventually get to the oratorios and passions but check the B minor Mass first. Also Handel's Messiah. I know fuckall about baroque choral music besides that.

Classical/Renaissance: big points here are the Mozart, Berlioz, Brahms and Verdi Requiems (go youtube the Dies Irae from the Verdi with Pavarotti singing, gogogo NOW), Beethoven's Missa Solemnis is predictably great and so are the Bruckner masses and motets, there's also choral symphonies of which Mahler wrote a few. Lots of other Brahms secularish choral music and a capella group pieces too. Almost all of Schoenberg and Webern's choral pieces are worth checking out too, just pull up a composition list and throw some darts.

if you want anything more modern than that, find a way to bug me later and I'll give you more recs.

funkcroquet fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 26, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Thanks funkcroquet (I knew you would be the one to answer), very helpful. <3

Duckforce Alpha
May 23, 2006
D:
Apologies if this has been mentioned on previous pages, but where do I start with Sublime.

I've always wanted to get into them but never got around to it.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Duckforce Alpha posted:

Apologies if this has been mentioned on previous pages, but where do I start with Sublime.

I've always wanted to get into them but never got around to it.

I'm no huge Sublime fan, but upon checking Wikipedia my suspicions are confirmed. Save for a couple of posthumous money-grabs, they only have 3 albums. You should probably start with the one that's famous and if you like it, grab the other two.

I feel like this is similar to asking "where do I start with My Bloody Valentine," or a similar, known-mostly-for-one-album band.

edit: Fine, maybe I made a bit of a hyperbole: in all seriousness, Wikipedia is one of the most definitive music information databases ever. Discogs is the place to go for specific release information, but if you're just wondering about a band and their albums, check out wiki. It is amazing, and I use it to research bands all the time.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 28, 2010

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

1000 umbrellas posted:

In all seriousness, Wikipedia is the most definitive music database ever. It is amazing, and I use it to research bands all the time.

Uhh, actually Wikipedia is totally useless once you depart from the shallowest top level of western musical mainstream...

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Yeah wiki does't have Gorehound, Grandma's Vomit, Goreflesh, Godphobia, Gore Ensemble, Pyriphlegethon, Black Shining Death, amongst countless others

fuckin scrubs

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

1000 umbrellas posted:

In all seriousness, discogs is the best online music database, but even that is pretty incomplete. It is amazing, and I use it to research bands all the time.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Where do I start with Bad Religion? I was clicking through Wikipedia reviews of their albums and it looks like the first handful until the mid-90's are the best bets. Is this right?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Angiepants posted:

I always thought The Appleseed Cast was more shoegazey post-rocky stuff, but I just got the split they did with Planes Mistaken for Stars and Race Car Riot and was blown the gently caress away by "Tale of the Aftermath". Do they have more material in that same vein or was it just a one-off sort of thing?

Check out their first full length The End Of The Ring Wars if you haven't already. Mare Vitalis is also worth giving a listen, it finds a good middle ground between the Post Hardcore/Emo sound on Ring Wars and the Post-Rock/Shoegaze type stuff on releases since Low Level Owl.

e: I should also point out that Ring Wars is a concept album and Tale Of The Aftermath is the conclusion to the story being told on Ring Wars.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
This isn't really what the thread is for, but I've started listening to MF Doom. The Mouse and the Mask was great, the references to AQHF were kinda corny, and I really, really liked Mm Food.

I've noticed he's done ten million different collaborations and projects with one hundred million other people. For those of you who've heard a lot of his material, what do you think it worth picking up or locating.

Also, where would you guys recommend I start out with Ghostface Killah.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 28, 2010

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Where do I start with Bad Religion? I was clicking through Wikipedia reviews of their albums and it looks like the first handful until the mid-90's are the best bets. Is this right?

Start with Suffer, which is quality so-cal punk with plenty of "oozin aahs" for your sing along harmony fetish. Then move on to No Control which finds Graffin growing more into his "Thesaurus punk" lyrics. Then I highly recommend taking a step back and check out the debut ep How Could Hell Be Any Worse (which is easily obtained on the 80-85 compilation) to give you an idea of what they're sound was like before their "hiatus" that occured pre-Suffer. Besides, "We're Only Gonna Die", "gently caress Armageddon... This is Hell", and the bro-core anthem "Along the Way" are classics. After that, move forward through Against the Grain (where the original version of "21st Century Digital Boy" can be found), Generator, and Recipe for Hate. That should prepare you nicely for Stranger than Fiction which is arguably their most successful album. The three singles "Stranger than Fiction", "Infected", and a newer version of "21st Century Digital Boy" got a decent amount of air play. It's also their jump to a major. After that, founding member Gurewitz left to run Epitaph, start a band, and be a junkie. The albums post-Gurewitz departure show a steady decline in quality. The Grey Race is passing but ultimately forgettable, and No Substance is quite possibly their worst record since the truly awkward Into the Unknown. Gurewitz came back for The Process of Belief after a guest spot on a New America track and has continued to record with the band. However, the last few records are nothing extraordinary. It's still the same recycled "Chomsky-lite" which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as exciting as those early records from the 80's and early 90's.

They have a few compilations, so if you're worried about picking up full albums All Ages captures a lot of the quality tracks they did from the Epitaph years. Tested is a cool live album, taken from a slew of shows, but it's got stuff from The Grey Race too, and Gurewitz has left the band at that point. Check it out only if you're interested in live albums (which is sort of like listening to a party you weren't invited to attend).

Ok, this was long winded so I apologize for the novella length post. I sort of got enamored with these guys back in 1991 and followed them (lately as a guilty pleasure) ever since.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 28, 2010

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Frog Strips posted:

This isn't really what the thread is for, but I've started listening to MF Doom. The Mouse and the Mask was great, the references to AQHF were kinda corny, and I really, really liked Mm Food.

I've noticed he's done ten million different collaborations and projects with one hundred million other people. For those of you who've heard a lot of his material, what do you think it worth picking up or locating.
You seriously haven't listened to Madvillainy yet? Get that immediately and after that I would check out his newest album Born Like This.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

hatelull posted:

bad religion
One addendum: 80-85 is out of print now and has been supplanted by the remastered version of How Could Hell Be Any Worse, which has the same tracklisting as 80-85. I personally don't like the remaster of it as much as the original, but I haven't heard any of the other remasters, so I can't comment on their quality (everything pre-Recipe For Hate got remastered and reissued a few years back; if you buy them new that's the version they'll be, although plenty of used copies of the originals are still around.)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Moe_Rahn posted:

One addendum: 80-85 is out of print now and has been supplanted by the remastered version of How Could Hell Be Any Worse, which has the same tracklisting as 80-85. I personally don't like the remaster of it as much as the original, but I haven't heard any of the other remasters, so I can't comment on their quality (everything pre-Recipe For Hate got remastered and reissued a few years back; if you buy them new that's the version they'll be, although plenty of used copies of the originals are still around.)

Are those classic Epitaph LP's different in the remaster? Worth hearing? I've forever had the pre-remastered CD versions and never bothered to buy the albums again.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

hatelull posted:

Are those classic Epitaph LP's different in the remaster? Worth hearing? I've forever had the pre-remastered CD versions and never bothered to buy the albums again.
Generator has a couple of bonus tracks (just alternate versions of "Fertile Crescent" and "Heaven Is Falling") but none of the others do. I haven't heard any of the remasters except How Could Hell... (which I don't think is worth rebuying if you've already got 80-85), so I can't comment on the sound quality or anything like that.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Frog Strips posted:

His handful of "Special Herbs" hip-hop instrumentals are worth a listen if you can find any. They're under the name Metal Fingers (what the MF in MF Doom sometimes stands for) and are variously packaged 2 or 3 EP 'volumes' per full-length cd. There are something like 10 total. I'm also advocating the new "Born Like This" as DOOM.

And if you can :filez: it, Adult Swim put out a 7-track download as an addendum to The Mouse And The Mask called "Occult Hymn". It's got a few remixes, a couple of B-sides, and skits. It was offered for free for a while, but is no longer available on their site.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

HP Hovercraft posted:

You seriously haven't listened to Madvillainy yet? Get that immediately and after that I would check out his newest album Born Like This.

I just listened to MadVillainy and the Victor Vaughn album, both were pretty loving rad.

I was listening to DOOM all day while walking around my campus and smiling ear to ear.

Wodka
Nov 11, 2007

I was of three minds,
Like a tree
In which there are three blackbirds.
What should I get from The Smiths? I have their self-titled album and a greatest hits so far.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Wodka posted:

What should I get from The Smiths? I have their self-titled album and a greatest hits so far.

The compilation album Hatful Of Hollow. If you want another full length like the self titled, I'd say go with Meat Is Murder or The Queen Is Dead.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Frog Strips posted:

Also, where would you guys recommend I start out with Ghostface Killah.

Probably Fishscale or Supreme Clientele but his stuff is pretty consistent throughout.

The Consultant
Apr 5, 2006

I'm tops and you're horseplops
i caught a bit of the Cowboy Bebop movie on tv the other day and realized i really liked this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItZ49PZ8HY

what kind of country is this? can anyone sort me out here, i like this!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Consultant posted:

i caught a bit of the Cowboy Bebop movie on tv the other day and realized i really liked this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItZ49PZ8HY

what kind of country is this? can anyone sort me out here, i like this!

Sounds fairly rockabilly. A quick google search proves that the song was recorded by The Seat Belts, who apparently are Japanese jazz/blues band that did music for the show. Probably a guest vocalist.

SaintJacques
Jan 18, 2009

it's a fucking bear
What's a good place to start with The Gerogerigegege?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

A Violence Gang posted:

details

Details please. I'd like real country. Not pop country. I'm a fan of rap and there's a huge difference between rap and the poo poo artists put out to stay rich.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

hatelull posted:

Sounds fairly rockabilly. A quick google search proves that the song was recorded by The Seat Belts, who apparently are Japanese jazz/blues band that did music for the show. Probably a guest vocalist.

This is correct. The vocalist on that particular track is Steve Conte I believe. The Seatbelts rotated vocalists for some songs but mostly fronted by Yamane Mai (heard here)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Details please. I'd like real country. Not pop country. I'm a fan of rap and there's a huge difference between rap and the poo poo artists put out to stay rich.

Hip-hop is a good parallel in a lot of ways for what's happened to country music. A lot of it is just trends in popular music in general, but specifically the way mainstream rap and country artists are obsessed with presenting themselves as "authentic" practitioners of a lifestyle that never actually existed. But anyway...

Not claiming to be any kind of expert but I'll throw some names out to start with. Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, George Jones and Billy Joe Shaver are some of the most influential artists who make for a decent introduction to some of the classic styles. As for where to start with them, I'd say just start searching and check out the most popular tracks on Youtube or Last.fm or wherever you find music. Compilation "greatest hits" or whatever albums are also fine; I know they're looked down on by a lot of rock fans but especially for the older artists, the album just wasn't nearly as important as the single in being the primary unit of music in country.

For contemporary stuff that's good, look into "alt-country"; despite the name, it's generally much more faithful to the heritage of the genre than the Eagles/Jimmy Buffett pastiche that gets called "country" today. Lots of artists who blended country with elements of punk or hard rock in interesting ways. Some names to start with would be Uncle Tupelo (and its descendants Son Volt and Wilco), Drive-By Truckers, the early works of Neko Case.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Where do I start with post hardcore? I mostly listen to metal, but I'm finding it quite hard to get into anything with hardcore in the genre. I like my music more melodic, with less growly vocals. I've been listening to Such Small Hands by La Dispute a lot, but I have no idea where to go from there.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Funyon posted:

Where do I start with post hardcore? I mostly listen to metal, but I'm finding it quite hard to get into anything with hardcore in the genre. I like my music more melodic, with less growly vocals. I've been listening to Such Small Hands by La Dispute a lot, but I have no idea where to go from there.

If you can deal with religious (but not really) undertones, then a popular band would be Underoath (though it really honestly never seems too religious to me), and Thursday is also pretty popular. I really like both of them, especially Thursday's War All the Time and Full Collapse albums. I think if you like melodies a lot, then both of them are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Funyon posted:

Such Small Hands kind of reminds me of Circle Takes The Square. Go grab As The Roots Undo. There's also a little bit of 90's emo in there, perhaps some of the modern bands that were influenced by that scene would interest you, like Hot Cross or Life At These Speeds. As for post-hardcore, early Thursday or even As Cities' Burn's first album might do you some good.