Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

stedd posted:

By default, it doesn't index everything on all of your drives, just the Start Menu and your Users folder. You can adjust this in the Indexing Options control panel.

Do you have Outlook installed by any chance?

Not quite - as of W7 it also indexes anything in any of your libraries, including any folders you link to an existing library and any custom libraries you might create. So if he's, say, linked a folder containing 4TB of videos into the the Videos library then it's probably going to take a while to be indexed.

Still doesn't explain why it isn't pausing on user activity though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

stedd posted:

Do you have Outlook installed by any chance?

No. Let me guess, it would index all of my e-mail too?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

rolleyes posted:

Not quite - as of W7 it also indexes anything in any of your libraries, including any folders you link to an existing library and any custom libraries you might create. So if he's, say, linked a folder containing 4TB of videos into the the Videos library then it's probably going to take a while to be indexed.

Still doesn't explain why it isn't pausing on user activity though.

Pretty sure videos index quickly since it just checks for any metadata and moves on to the enxt. It'd actually probably take a lot longer to index 4 gigs worth of .doc files.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Casao posted:

Pretty sure videos index quickly since it just checks for any metadata and moves on to the enxt. It'd actually probably take a lot longer to index 4 gigs worth of .doc files.

This. Since indexing doesn't do content searching on anything other than documents, the metadata on 4TB of video files would take almost no time at all, where indexing 1,000 word docs would take forever.

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

XK posted:

No. Let me guess, it would index all of my e-mail too?

Yup. This is actually a very hand function. Coming from Windows XP I too was use to not searching Windows. But I search Outlook quite a bit, Windows 7 gives me pretty much instant search results.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I can definitely see where indexing e-mail would be very useful. It's not something I want my operating system to be doing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

I can definitely see where indexing e-mail would be very useful. It's not something I want my operating system to be doing.

And why's that?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

And why's that?

Good engineering practice. The philosophy that leads to things like the OS indexing my email messages creates overly complex systems. The OS should set up an environment for other programs to do their work. When you have an overly complex system, strange things happen, like mysteriously poor hard drive performance.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

Good engineering practice. The philosophy that leads to things like the OS indexing my email messages creates overly complex systems. The OS should set up an environment for other programs to do their work. When you have an overly complex system, strange things happen, like mysteriously poor hard drive performance.

I'd be willing to say it's good software engineering practice. The job of an OS is to allow you to use your computer in an efficient and timely manner, while using all available hardware to its fullest potential. Operating Systems are complex things. Next we'll have to discuss how memory management, file I/O management, etc are all overly complex and shouldn't be handled by the Operating System as well.

It was mentioned before but there's more to your problem than the indexing service killing your HD performance. Most likely a combination of driver conflict, and buggy software (either on Microsoft's part, or some 3rd party software you're running). Quite possibly an actual hardware issue.

In any case, don't use indexing, don't user search continue on using it like you would XP. No real loss to you since you do seem to be fairly hell bent to keep on trucking like you have been for a decade or whatever time frame we're looking.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
This is probably the most retarded question ever but I can't figure it out. In Windows 7 checkboxes seem to have three states: unchecked, checked, and filled with a blue square. What does this mysterious third state indicate?

e.g.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

This. Since indexing doesn't do content searching on anything other than documents, the metadata on 4TB of video files would take almost no time at all, where indexing 1,000 word docs would take forever.

Again, not quite.

I agree documents would have been a better example, but videos have more metadata than you might think; things like size, aspect, length, frame rate, video and audio bitrates apply to all codecs and some codecs support additional embedded information such as title, producer etc. You can also add custom metadata (I think it's added to the alternate data stream so that it's preserved across installations, although it may just be linked via the index) and I'm pretty sure it generates the video thumbnail while it's indexing too.

A slightly better non-document example would have been photos, and a better one than that would have been MP3s. No shortage of metadata to index in either of those.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 26, 2010

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is probably the most retarded question ever but I can't figure it out. In Windows 7 checkboxes seem to have three states: unchecked, checked, and filled with a blue square. What does this mysterious third state indicate?

e.g.

It generally means it's indeterminate based on your selection. Simple example: select a bunch of files, some which have the read-only attribute set and some which don't. Bring up the properties for your selection and the read-only attribute will be in that state. Sometimes it's also used to mean "default" - as in you've neither explicitly set or unset it and it will depend on some other condition with a higher precedence. This case also applies to the previous example; if you modify any of the other attributes for the selection the changes will be applied when you click OK, but the read-only attribute settings will be preserved with the checkbox in the square state.

I'm not sure if it was around in XP but it definitely was in Vista.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

rolleyes posted:

Again, not quite.

I agree documents would have been a better example, but videos have more metadata than you might think; things like size, aspect, length, frame rate, video and audio bitrates apply to all codecs and some codecs support additional embedded information such as title, producer etc. You can also add custom metadata (I think it's added to the alternate data stream so that it's preserved across installations, although it may just be linked via the index) and I'm pretty sure it generates the video thumbnail while it's indexing too.

A slightly better non-document example would have been photos, and a better one than that would have been MP3s. No shortage of metadata to index in either of those.

Even so, the amount of data that would be indexed in a video file of any size is vastly smaller than a word document even a fraction of that size.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm going to ask some questions that I probably already know the answer to, but I'm just being overly cautious. So indulge me if you wish.

My dad bought a new computer a few months before Vista was released, because it was a really great deal. It was an HP Pavilion Media Center whatever from Micro Center, with Windows XP installed and an option to upgrade to Vista for free when it was released. So we did that. Then, a few months ago, I took advantage of the Windows 7 pre-order deal to get him a cheap upgrade copy of that, and I did an in-place upgrade. These are all 32-bit versions I'm talking about.

Well, recently his computer's been having issues and I'm starting to think his hard drive is on the brink of failure. It intermittently becomes "slow", with the activity light blinking very slowly and HDD-related tasks taking forever while certain other tasks seem to work fine. I've run several at-boot disk scans and it always comes up with something. Backups frequently fail due to CRC errors and the like. Files are randomly getting corrupted. And I guess I'll just stop there, because this isn't Haus of Tech Support.

Bottom line is, I'm buying a new hard drive for his PC today, and I'm considering taking advantage of this situation to reinstall Windows 7 clean. I avoided it last time because I didn't have a spare drive/partition to use, and so it just seemed like it'd be easier overall to keep his stuff in place. But I want to go for 64-bit this time. What's the best way to do this? The way I'm imagining it is:

1) Do a Windows Easy Transfer to back up as many aspects of his current installation as possible (I have a USB drive available for this)
2) Uninstall Windows 7, at which point it will be deactivated and his computer will revert to Vista
3) Put the new hard drive in (either with or without the old one still in there)
4) Boot with the Windows 7 64-bit disc and do a Custom Install on the new drive, disregarding previous installations entirely
5) Activate?
6) Run Windows Easy Transfer and then do whatever else is necessary to get stuff running again

Now, at some point in there I assume it'll be all like, "Hey, this is an Upgrade disc, prove that you have Vista". What's that gonna be like?

And of course this is all assuming that I can in fact "upgrade" 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7, which seems possible from what I've read, despite a lot of confusing wording on Microsoft's part. They say here "If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows." but they're just talking about the "in-place upgrade" type of installation... right? Because other things I've read suggest that you can upgrade from 32 to 64 -- as in, the activation license doesn't discriminate between the two -- but it just has to be a clean installation, on the software end. An upgrade from a purely legal standpoint. And that's fine by me.

Any relevant advice would be appreciated. I think this will be a good thing to do, but I just want to feel more sure about it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm going to ask some questions that I probably already know the answer to, but I'm just being overly cautious. So indulge me if you wish.

My dad bought a new computer a few months before Vista was released, because it was a really great deal. It was an HP Pavilion Media Center whatever from Micro Center, with Windows XP installed and an option to upgrade to Vista for free when it was released. So we did that. Then, a few months ago, I took advantage of the Windows 7 pre-order deal to get him a cheap upgrade copy of that, and I did an in-place upgrade. These are all 32-bit versions I'm talking about.

Well, recently his computer's been having issues and I'm starting to think his hard drive is on the brink of failure. It intermittently becomes "slow", with the activity light blinking very slowly and HDD-related tasks taking forever while certain other tasks seem to work fine. I've run several at-boot disk scans and it always comes up with something. Backups frequently fail due to CRC errors and the like. Files are randomly getting corrupted. And I guess I'll just stop there, because this isn't Haus of Tech Support.

Bottom line is, I'm buying a new hard drive for his PC today, and I'm considering taking advantage of this situation to reinstall Windows 7 clean. I avoided it last time because I didn't have a spare drive/partition to use, and so it just seemed like it'd be easier overall to keep his stuff in place. But I want to go for 64-bit this time. What's the best way to do this? The way I'm imagining it is:

1) Do a Windows Easy Transfer to back up as many aspects of his current installation as possible (I have a USB drive available for this)
2) Uninstall Windows 7, at which point it will be deactivated and his computer will revert to Vista
3) Put the new hard drive in (either with or without the old one still in there)
4) Boot with the Windows 7 64-bit disc and do a Custom Install on the new drive, disregarding previous installations entirely
5) Activate?
6) Run Windows Easy Transfer and then do whatever else is necessary to get stuff running again

Now, at some point in there I assume it'll be all like, "Hey, this is an Upgrade disc, prove that you have Vista". What's that gonna be like?

And of course this is all assuming that I can in fact "upgrade" 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7, which seems possible from what I've read, despite a lot of confusing wording on Microsoft's part. They say here "If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows." but they're just talking about the "in-place upgrade" type of installation... right? Because other things I've read suggest that you can upgrade from 32 to 64 -- as in, the activation license doesn't discriminate between the two -- but it just has to be a clean installation, on the software end. An upgrade from a purely legal standpoint. And that's fine by me.

Any relevant advice would be appreciated. I think this will be a good thing to do, but I just want to feel more sure about it.

You can't roll back to the previous OS. Once 7 is installed, Vista is gone.

You don't need to go through all of that. Some digging in this thread will give you details on how to install and activate on a brand new HDD with no previous OS install using upgrade media and key.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

For my parents the process was "insert Windows 7 upgrade DVD, boot off Windows 7 upgrade DVD, provide key when prompted, enjoy."

That was also an 'upgrade' from Vista, but I just nuked their harddrive in advance.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

e.g.

[] Option 1 - gonna make me a sandwich:
------[] Option 2 - with extra bacon
------[] Option 3 - containing lovely artery-clogging grilled cheese

In :chef:'s case above, checking option 1 would automatically check options 2 and 3. Checking only one of the variables - in this case, options 2 or 3 - means option 1 is only partially true, which is represented by the blue filled-in square.

The existence of related variables is unclear in your screenshot, which is Poor Design on the part of the GUI dude. Bad juju. :mad:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AlexDeGruven posted:

You can't roll back to the previous OS. Once 7 is installed, Vista is gone.

You don't need to go through all of that. Some digging in this thread will give you details on how to install and activate on a brand new HDD with no previous OS install using upgrade media and key.

Okay, I guess my key concern is "deactivating" the currently installed Windows 7 so that I can activate it again when I do the clean install on the new HDD. How should I go about that?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Okay, I guess my key concern is "deactivating" the currently installed Windows 7 so that I can activate it again when I do the clean install on the new HDD. How should I go about that?

You don't - if it decides you've been naughty when it tries to activate after the fresh install it will prompt you to phone Microsoft*. Depending on how you got flagged you may just punch some numbers into an automated system, or you might speak to a Genuine Microsoft (India) Customer Service Representative who will ask you a few quick questions. Your system will then be activated.

Seriously, I've done this multiple times with OEM copies of Windows after building new computers (OEM versions are supposed to be tied to the motherboard they were first installed on) and I've never been denied an activation yet, so you've got absolutely nothing to worry about.

* You also have a 30 day grace period to get the activation done so you can carry on setting the machine up and installing software etc. If you don't activate within that time period your system won't be inoperable or anything but you'll be nagged and nagged and nagged to activate, logins are time delayed and the desktop wallpaper is permanently set to black.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 26, 2010

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

spincube posted:

[] Option 1 - gonna make me a sandwich:
------[] Option 2 - with extra bacon
------[] Option 3 - containing lovely artery-clogging grilled cheese

In :chef:'s case above, checking option 1 would automatically check options 2 and 3. Checking only one of the variables - in this case, options 2 or 3 - means option 1 is only partially true, which is represented by the blue filled-in square.

The existence of related variables is unclear in your screenshot, which is Poor Design on the part of the GUI dude. Bad juju. :mad:

Yeah, they'd need to indent, as per your example, to indicate 'partially true' status... and even then, I'd say you needed to gray out option 2 and 3 if 1 was not checked, and only check 1 if 2 or 3 was checked (not fill it in with a blue square).

I've never seen any GUI use a solidly filled in square unless you had multiple objects selected and the single panel had to somehow indicate that some of your selections had that item flagged, and others did not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Essobie posted:

I've never seen any GUI use a solidly filled in square unless you had multiple objects selected and the single panel had to somehow indicate that some of your selections had that item flagged, and others did not.

Well Vista and 7 do it with a blue square and 95/98/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003 did it with gray squares.

So there's some GUIs that do it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

e.g.

Have you not used Windows before?

What you mentioned isn't new to Windows 7, and it wasn't new to Vista or Windows XP either.

There have always been three "modes" to check boxes. Under Windows 2000/XP, it was check, no check, and "check with gray around it".
Vista changed the "check with gray around it" to a square.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

fishmech posted:

Well Vista and 7 do it with a blue square and 95/98/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003 did it with gray squares.

So there's some GUIs that do it.

I think you read my post incorrectly. Yes, I've seen them do the thing with the the filled in square when you select multiple objects. What I've not seen is GUIs that use the filled in box for letting you know what the default selection is. Which was mentioned here:

rolleyes posted:

Sometimes it's also used to mean "default" - as in you've neither explicitly set or unset it and it will depend on some other condition with a higher precedence.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there a way to change the taskbar highlight color to something other that white\bright?

It just looks washed out and crummy...

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mine looks fine but then I changed my theme to pink.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tapedump posted:

Is there a way to change the taskbar highlight color to something other that white\bright?

It just looks washed out and crummy...

Changing the overall color changes the highlight color.

Other than that, a hacked uxtheme.dll will do ya.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yeah, but any color chosen gives a highlight color that's washed out. Would you elaborate on a hacked uxtheme.dll? I recall that bit from XP days, but don't know how to go about making adjustments *after* replacing the dll.

Do you mean downloading and using somebody's custom theme? Or will the ability to tune down the brightness become available?

I'm poking around in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors for now..

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2010

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

rolleyes posted:

You don't - if it decides you've been naughty when it tries to activate after the fresh install it will prompt you to phone Microsoft*. Depending on how you got flagged you may just punch some numbers into an automated system, or you might speak to a Genuine Microsoft (India) Customer Service Representative who will ask you a few quick questions. Your system will then be activated.

Seriously, I've done this multiple times with OEM copies of Windows after building new computers (OEM versions are supposed to be tied to the motherboard they were first installed on) and I've never been denied an activation yet, so you've got absolutely nothing to worry about.

* You also have a 30 day grace period to get the activation done so you can carry on setting the machine up and installing software etc. If you don't activate within that time period your system won't be inoperable or anything but you'll be nagged and nagged and nagged to activate, logins are time delayed and the desktop wallpaper is permanently set to black.

Thanks, this is all good to know. As long as the old hard drive stays alive long enough for me to move the files over, this sounds like it'll work great.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Tapedump posted:

Yeah, but any color chosen gives a highlight color that's washed out. Would you elaborate on a hacked uxtheme.dll? I recall that bit from XP days, but don't know how to go about making adjustments *after* replacing the dll.

Do you mean downloading and using somebody's custom theme? Or will the ability to tune down the brightness become available?

I'm poking around in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors for now..

It would let you use someone else's theme.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What would cause slow loading times for Win7? Recently, whenever I logon my PC gets stuck on the 'welcome' loading screen before the desktop appears. It takes about 15 seconds to clear, usually it was instant to the desktop after entering my password. What's odd is that even if I lock the computer it's the same after unlocking; that 'welcome' loading screen for a few seconds.

My drivers are all up to date and I've defragmented, checked for spyware, etc.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Xanin posted:

What would cause slow loading times for Win7? Recently, whenever I logon my PC gets stuck on the 'welcome' loading screen before the desktop appears. It takes about 15 seconds to clear, usually it was instant to the desktop after entering my password. What's odd is that even if I lock the computer it's the same after unlocking; that 'welcome' loading screen for a few seconds.

Do you have a wallpaper or a solid background color? Cause I seem to remember something similar with solid background colors being reported.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Casao posted:

Do you have a wallpaper or a solid background color? Cause I seem to remember something similar with solid background colors being reported.

Ah that might explain it, I've got solid black at the moment. I'll check when I get home, thanks.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Xanin posted:

After I re-installed from 32bit to 64 I noticed an extra few seconds of waiting during the log in. I had a look through my startup services and through some googling discovered I only required about half of them. It's just as snappy as it was before the install now.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Xanin posted:

Ah that might explain it, I've got solid black at the moment. I'll check when I get home, thanks.
That is exactly it, whip up a solid color jpg in paint and it will go away.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Casao posted:

I just looked this up and you're right, unbelievable. I use a solid color background, and my login takes a long time. Overly complex systems.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am sorry if this has already been covered. I have a netbook and I want to install Win7 Ultimate. I know I can transfer the needed files to a USB key on another system, but what about transferring the files to a USB external hard drive? I have other things on my hard drive, i want to know if the installation needs its own special space or something.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

b0nes posted:

I am sorry if this has already been covered. I have a netbook and I want to install Win7 Ultimate. I know I can transfer the needed files to a USB key on another system, but what about transferring the files to a USB external hard drive? I have other things on my hard drive, i want to know if the installation needs its own special space or something.

What exactly are you asking?

You copy files the same way to a USB HD as a USB Key. If you're making a boot USB Drive to install Win 7 FROM it shouldn't matter, other than you'll have the install media on it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Copy the files to a USB key or hdd and run setup.exe. Tadaaaaa. What the hell difference would it make if it's a small flash drive or a larger hard drive?

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Xanin posted:

There's a fix for this problem if you're interested.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Symptom: Sporadic choppy video in MPC, WMP, Youtube on both Firefox and Chrome, low res and high res videos. Happens at random and varies from moment to moment.

Attempted: Turned off EIST and C1E support in bios.

Result: No more choppiness (yet); CPU runs 7 degrees C higher; disappointment as I like power saving features.

Now I need to do a bunch of rebooting to figure out exactly which it was, especially fun since it isn't reliably reproducible.

Edit: It seems a little less, but still there. If I turn off Desktop composition I get no noticeable choppiness, but it's hard to tell because video tears like crazy. Now I saw a suggestion that the choppiness has to do with dual monitors. Also, setting my background to a single black pixel stretched monochrome bmp does pop me into the desktop almost instantly. Windows 7 is going to drive me insane. :(

Edit 2: Disabling one or the other monitor had an effect on it, but didn't fix it. I give up. I'm going to just wait for a driver update or something and hope that fixes it. I do see a lot of other reports of choppiness problems, so it will likely be fixed before too long.

XK fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 28, 2010