Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

It's both! I mean, jesus christ homie, you make fun of guidios but everything you have ever said, in this thread and the previous one, obviously comes from the mind of worst type of newjack candy kid. You may as well be a desert trance fan with the way you act.

And when you diss dubstep you're dissing nobody but yourself and your limited conception of it.

Ok, see, you're proving my point. "Newjack candy kid" "desert trance fan." I have no idea what those terms mean, nor do I give a flying gently caress. I like what I like. I like Deadmau5, I like bloghouse, I even like some dubstep! I don't give a gently caress how my attitude correlates to the type of music I listen to. Everyone else in this thread has their panties up in a bunch about their music tastes and their "attitudes" about those tastes and it's pathetic and goes against what music, for me at least, is about : having fun. But oh well, that's NMD for you I guess :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

I still think it's a good track. Which is why I wish the guy would have just taken his own credit for it instead of claimed to be somebody else. I'm not some Justice-fag who is going to lose sleep over the matter, but whether it's techno or alternative or loving Miley Cyrus, I still believe in artistic integrity. If you have a problem with that, sorry.
What are you even going on about?

And why don't you realize no one listens to Myspace tracks, there's a thousand great ones. A way to get noticed in today mediocre, everyone's-a-producer world is to do exactly what this kid did. You gotta reconsider this artistic sanctimony.

Slackerish posted:

Ok, see, you're proving my point. "Newjack candy kid" "desert trance fan." I have no idea what those terms mean, nor do I give a flying gently caress.
That's pretty funny.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
When did this turn into a "dissing people's musical tastes" thread? I think no matter what genre you like, some of you need to listen to a little more minimal techno, maybe it'll calm you down...

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

What are you even going on about?

And why don't you realize no one listens to Myspace tracks, there's a thousand great ones. A way to get noticed in today mediocre, everyone's-a-producer world is to do exactly what this kid did. You gotta reconsider this artistic sanctimony.

Yeah since every single producer got their start from imitating other artists. I'd rather not make it into the industry at all than do it by claiming I'm somebody else.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

I'm pretty sure that Soulja Boy guy did this by pretending to be 50 Cent

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Slackerish posted:

As dumb as a technophile who browses blogs all day and manages to make even electronic music pretentious? Oh wait...

as dumb as somebody whose retort against a perfectly good point is "oh....well, you like [insert musical genre], so your opinion is invalid"

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!

Slackerish posted:

you don't really have much of a place to talk about my music tastes.

With a Mars Volta avatar, I would wager that many people think that you shouldn't talk about music tastes.

That new Atrak joint is loving FIRE.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Vernacular posted:

as dumb as somebody whose retort against a perfectly good point is "oh....well, you like [insert musical genre], so your opinion is invalid"

"U LISTEN TO DEADMAU5 SO U DON'T KNOW ELECTRONIC"

Yeah, excellent point.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

When did this turn into a "dissing people's musical tastes" thread? I think no matter what genre you like, some of you need to listen to a little more minimal techno, maybe it'll calm you down...
Aren't you in LA? How many droid parties have you been to? If its less than 5, I'm not gonna trust your opinion on anything and assume you and Slackerish are the Hot Topic mall punks of electronic music and don't really have anything of worth to offer.

If it's more than 5, lets be bros.

Slackerish posted:

"U LISTEN TO DEADMAU5 SO U DON'T KNOW ELECTRONIC"

Yeah, excellent point.
Ya but the funny thing is you don't realize how silly this is making you look. If you went to the punk/hardcore thread, started gushing about Anti-Flag or Sum 41, kids who have a right to think you're a square, a goober. you'd call them elitists and say they're missing the point, that music is supposed to be fun. But you'd still look like dorks and the real dudes will still be right to laugh.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 27, 2010

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Furnace posted:

With a Mars Volta avatar, I would wager that many people think that you shouldn't talk about music tastes.

I've had the avatar for maybe two years now, it's because I don't feel like I need to spend another 5 bucks just to invalidate a band who I used to be a fan of back in the day but don't really listen to anymore(feel free to check my last.fm) when I could be spending that money on drugs

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya but the funny thing is you don't realize how silly this is making you look. If you went to the punk/hardcore thread, started gushing about Anti-Flag or Sum 41, kids who have a right to think you're a square, a goober. you'd call them elitists and say they're missing the point, that music is supposed to be fun. But you'd still look like dorks and the real dudes will still be right to laugh.

No, see, I do realize, I just don't give a gently caress because I'm talking to a bunch of faceless people over the internet who have no notion that music taste is subjective.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
b/c there is a lot of people who actually have listened to electronic music longer than Deadmau5 has been alive. Also, Zimmerman's attitude is pretty jerky, and his music imho (and what seems to be a lot of ppl online and in the clubs) consider most of his tracks are pretty much repetitive and forgettable.

It's just like with Tiesto fans in the first half of 2000s.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

No, see, I do realize, I just don't give a gently caress because I'm talking to a bunch of faceless people over the internet who have no notion that music taste is subjective.

Uhhh, no one's saying you don't like that music. Just that your taste, while not measured against some objective standard, can still be called comparatively childish and unexposed to cool things. If I ask you to name your five favorite raps and 2 are from eminem, 2 from snoop and 1 from dr dre, I'm gonna say that you're unexposed. A neophyte!

Like MOCA doesn't just hire any old gallerist because looking at a painting is totally subjective.

Furnace posted:

It's just like with Tiesto fans in the first half of 2000s.
Ya, exact same idea. Just calling someone a Tiesto fan used to be a pretty cold diss.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

Uhhh, no one's saying you don't like that music. Just that your taste, while not measured against some objective standard, can still be called comparatively childish and unexposed to cool things.

Like MOCA doesn't just hire any old gallerist because looking at a painting is totally subjective.

MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE. AS IN, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, I CAN LIKE DEADMAU5 AND ALSO LIKE DIPLO AND A-TRAK AND ALL THE OTHER BLOGHOUSE ARTISTS YOU GUYS SPLOOGE OVER. AND I DO! WOW!

I need to caps that because I'm stating my point over and over and it's still beyond you: music taste is subjective, you can argue about it all day but your witty forum responses won't make me rethink anything about my music tastes or changing them. Peace.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
slackerish, every post you make in this thread makes you look worse and worse. you come across as a teen who's way too confident about his take on music. if you learn to be more receptive and willing to admit that you don't really know as much as your aggressive, 'i-give-no-gently caress' posts may indicate, i guarantee that you will be a better person/audiophile because of it. just fyi

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Vernacular posted:

slackerish, every post you make in this thread makes you look worse and worse. you come across as a teen who's way too confident about his take on music. if you learn to be more receptive and willing to admit that you don't really know as much as your aggressive, 'i-give-no-gently caress' posts may indicate, i guarantee that you will be a better person/audiophile because of it. just fyi

if the music i listen to at the end of the day sounds good to me than i could care less about how much of an audiophile i am. i guess that's why i don't really fit in at NMD :tipshat:

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Uhhh, no one's saying you don't like that music. Just that your taste, while not measured against some objective standard, can still be called comparatively childish and unexposed to cool things.

I like Deadmau5 but I like other things too.
While I don't consider myself an expert of electronica like others here might, I do know a good amount of artists. You can't really argue that mau5 isn't doing something right, because he's obviously geting fans and he DOES bring a lot of non electronic fans into the genre. That's where the problem is. He's bringing in a whole slew of unseasoned electronica listeners, and they simply don't know about the underground side of things. This thread should be used to take someone who listens to bloghouse and show (not tell) them all the stuff they're missing.

:siren:
The moral of the story is - nobody knows all the cool songs out there. Some people might know more cool songs than others, and this thread is a place to share them so that we all learn more about music and expand our tastes to new things.

start posting youtubes again

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Psychedelic posted:

I like Deadmau5 but I like other things too.
While I don't consider myself an expert of electronica like others here might, I do know a good amount of artists. You can't really argue that mau5 isn't doing something right, because he's obviously geting fans and he DOES bring a lot of non electronic fans into the genre. That's where the problem is. He's bringing in a whole slew of unseasoned electronica listeners, and they simply don't know about the underground side of things. This thread should be used to take someone who listens to bloghouse and show (not tell) them all the stuff they're missing.

:siren:
The moral of the story is - nobody knows all the cool songs out there. Some people might know more cool songs than others, and this thread is a place to share them so that we all learn more about music and expand our tastes to new things.

start posting youtubes again

Thank you. You've taken the words out of my mouth and vastly improved them

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Tiesto just played here a month ago, and it was like kids I never knew who liked electronic jizzed their genitals over being one of 5000 people packed into a hall that fits 2500 max to dance while avoiding huge ed hardy chongos.

I'm taking my cuz to Coachella for his first music festival ever, and the first thing he told me was that he couldn't wait to see Tiesto and David Guetta. Considering that this dude listens to 2pac on repeat, it's easy to see how mainstreamed producers get a fierce and loyal following.

It's easy to say at 19 years old that electronic music nowadays revolves around rookie producers and bloghouse sensations.

I have been listening to electronic music ever since my older bro played me a classic acid house compilation in 92. Now I'm not saying that my taste is better than yours, but I will say that my experience (and those in this thread who have similar beginnings as mine into the genre) have taught me that latching onto every flash-in-the-pan producer or genre (HARD HOUSE ANYONE?) is a quick way to homogenize your personal taste.

look at Bassnectar. He started off playing hippie psytrance/breaks and now he's a dubstep dj? It's been 5 years since dubstep hit and honestly, people are gonna go back to regular dnb cuz if you've been to a bad dubstep show, it makes you beg for some original nuttah.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE. AS IN, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, I CAN LIKE DEADMAU5 AND ALSO LIKE DIPLO AND A-TRAK AND ALL THE OTHER BLOGHOUSE ARTISTS YOU GUYS SPLOOGE OVER. AND I DO! WOW!
I've got a philosophy degree, you do not want to get in to this argument with me. You can have pedestrian tastes, that's all good, it just won't make you into a good DJ or a good record nerd. That's great, that's not for everyone. You can take your dime-a-dozen attitudes with you through all your life. But you could also recognize game.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

ManoliIsFat posted:

Stop, just stop, you're spamming up the thread and coming across as a major jackass

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

everyone who got into electronic music in the last couple of years should watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--pSWLEVGhY

use it as your base of foundation, and work your way up.

HOLY poo poo BINARY FINARY 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo77_oyKveU

ahahaha this takes me back.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

Stop, just stop, you're spamming up the thread and coming across as a major jackass

That was a serious question though, my dude. How many Droid parties have you been to? Because if it's none and you like minimal, you have to go out and see the best crew in America.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

ManoliIsFat posted:

That was a serious question though, my dude. How many Droid parties have you been to, because if it's none and you like minimal, you have to go out and see the best crew in America.

NONE I'VE BEEN TO NONE NOW PLEASE JUDGE ME BECAUSE YOU'VE PROVEN YOUR OPINION TO BE GOLD

edit: haha just saw this and it applies to my post as well

Slackerish posted:

I need to caps that because I'm stating my point over and over and it's still beyond you: music taste is subjective, you can argue about it all day but your witty forum responses won't make me rethink anything about my music tastes or changing them. Peace.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Furnace posted:

Tiesto just played here a month ago, and it was like kids I never knew who liked electronic jizzed their genitals over being one of 5000 people packed into a hall that fits 2500 max to dance while avoiding huge ed hardy chongos.

I'm taking my cuz to Coachella for his first music festival ever, and the first thing he told me was that he couldn't wait to see Tiesto and David Guetta. Considering that this dude listens to 2pac on repeat, it's easy to see how mainstreamed producers get a fierce and loyal following.

It's easy to say at 19 years old that electronic music nowadays revolves around rookie producers and bloghouse sensations.

I have been listening to electronic music ever since my older bro played me a classic acid house compilation in 92. Now I'm not saying that my taste is better than yours, but I will say that my experience (and those in this thread who have similar beginnings as mine into the genre) have taught me that latching onto every flash-in-the-pan producer or genre (HARD HOUSE ANYONE?) is a quick way to homogenize your personal taste.

look at Bassnectar. He started off playing hippie psytrance/breaks and now he's a dubstep dj? It's been 5 years since dubstep hit and honestly, people are gonna go back to regular dnb cuz if you've been to a bad dubstep show, it makes you beg for some original nuttah.

Question: If you hate Tiesto so much why go to one of his shows? Do you actually pay those steep ticket prices just so you can go to the shows and whine about how "inferior" they were over your precious forums?

I'm new to electronic music. I admit it! I started listening to the genre for among a few reasons being, hah, that I figured the genre had much more unity and much less scrambling for "cred" than other genres. I don't "latch" myself onto any producers, I discovered Deadmau5 myself and decided I like him. A lot of my friends like him too. That's good enough for me.

Not sure what you're saying about Bassnectar either, his stuff has been pretty consistently dubstep for five years or so now and it still delivers sooo

ManoliIsFat posted:

I've got a philosophy degree, you do not want to get in to this argument with me. You can have pedestrian tastes, that's all good, it just won't make you into a good DJ or a good record nerd. That's great, that's not for everyone. You can take your dime-a-dozen attitudes with you through all your life. But you could also recognize game.

Ahahaha, this is priceless. A philosophy degree, I'm glad your four pointless years of college at least makes you a better arguer over the internet

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Mr Viper posted:

NONE I'VE BEEN TO NONE NOW PLEASE JUDGE ME BECAUSE YOU'VE PROVEN YOUR OPINION TO BE GOLD

he is trying to help scrubs cultivate an enriched musical experience, why you hatin

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Ok, see, you're proving my point. "Newjack candy kid" "desert trance fan." I have no idea what those terms mean, nor do I give a flying gently caress. I like what I like. I like Deadmau5, I like bloghouse, I even like some dubstep! I don't give a gently caress how my attitude correlates to the type of music I listen to. Everyone else in this thread has their panties up in a bunch about their music tastes and their "attitudes" about those tastes and it's pathetic and goes against what music, for me at least, is about : having fun. But oh well, that's NMD for you I guess :golfclap:

if all it is is about 'having fun' then why do you have such a problem with some bedroom dj releasing a track under the name justice. it was actually a decent gimmick that momentarily got a ton of people in an uproar over a track they never would have heard of otherwise. it seems like youre somehow concerned for the dudes in justice's feelings as artists which if you knew anything about justice youd be laughing at yourself over right now

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

I'm sorry, I truly was trying to help with that obvious namedrop. They bring out absolute techno legends and keep it really underground. Acid Circus and Drum Cell are them. They just did the NAMM afterparty. You should check it out. http://www.droidbehavior.com/

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

ManoliIsFat posted:

I'm sorry, I truly was trying to help with that obvious namedrop. They bring out absolute techno legends and keep it really underground. Acid Circus and Drum Cell are them. They just did the NAMM afterparty. You should check it out. http://www.droidbehavior.com/

So wait, you suddenly dropped your aggro attitude, and you're gonna be nice now?

Alright, whatever. I'll check out your link. Thanks.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Dude, you are loving stupid if you think people go to shows just to post how much they hated them on the forums. I never didn't said I went to Tiesto, but with the onslaught of facebook status updates I read when his date approached, I put two and two together.

and for the record, I've seen Tiesto in two different venues at two different times in his career, and I thought both were pedestrian at best. These included tiny club shows that fit 200 people and big gently caress-off festivals. He still played trance that peaked in 1999 and long-rear end buildups that stopped the flow of the set numerous occasions.

But will I be happy for my cuz who will get to see him for the first time? YES. But will I also shove drugs in his mouth an hour before Club 75 hits the decks FOX YES.

as for Bassnectar and followers of his music, I am living in pretty much the centre of Bassnectar fans in Canada. It all started with tree-dancing psy-hippies who play the worst loving trance ever, then BAM stoned wobble music is their bag, and it seems to me that he just followed the herd cuz I'm pretty sure I saw Bassnectar 4 years ago and there wasn't a loving dubstep track in that shizz.

When I started listening to electronic, I figured that I should go backwards and figure out how all of it started, and honestly, it gave me more appreciation of what was coming out.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

I saw Tiesto once and it's really nothing that you wouldn't expect
If you have heard a Tiesto track you can basically imagine the entire show from start to end
I really don't think he's all that great..

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
hahaha Slackerish you are the biggest herb in this thread. Talking about how no one can touch your music tastes and i'm pretty sure your title is from the loving Mars Volta.

plus that whole thing on "impersonating". i got one answer for you.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

So wait, you suddenly dropped your aggro attitude, and you're gonna be nice now?

Alright, whatever. I'll check out your link. Thanks.

Lol I was just trying to style on some kids. I'm always just trying to get kids turned on to some cool poo poo. I still think you're lame for name-dropping minimal but not knowing that the hottest crew was right under your nose.

Not to say that there aren't certain attitudes that should be hated (ie "i'm just having fun" strive for excellence in everything you do)

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
EDIT: gently caress it, I'm done here.

Barbobot
Apr 29, 2005
I'm not contributing any new tracks I've heard recently. Just came in wondering if anyone here is from Columbus, OH and can recommend a good club for house/electro or dubstep. I'll be visiting there soon and would like to go out on a Saturday night. Thanks.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Mr Viper you should check out these droid parties. I looked around their website and found my way to youtube.
If you like minimal stuff, you pretty much don't have the option to not go. If you would, click around through this video and look at how sweet it looks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBFlqhgHvQ

That was a 10/10 suggestion you received from ManoliIsFat. I think you should go, and then trip report it in this thread so we can all be jealous :rolleyes:
If I lived in California I would go for sure

Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

Tualek posted:

Are you going to the After Party? Feadz and SebastiAN at Webster tickets are like 25 bucks...I figure if I'm making the trip to New York might as well make the most of it...aslo I really want to hear Threnody live, ha.

poo poo I didnt know there was an afterparty, but its strictly 19+.. gently caress Websters strict IDing!

MzKzM
Sep 16, 2007

Slackerish posted:

Also, you listen to dubstep, you don't really have much of a place to talk about my music tastes.

Slackerish posted:

I like Deadmau5, I like bloghouse, I even like some dubstep!

shut up

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
c-c-c-crosspost!

NEW JANUARY MIX!

Tracklist:
Alex Kidd (USA) - Unholy Grail
Fake Blood - The Dozens
Donald Glaude - Teed off (Calvertron Remix)
Fukkk off - Rave is King
Jewelz - Get Down
MVSEVM - French Jeans (Dada Life Remix)
Dirty Disco Youth - Shuffle
Laidback Luke & Lee Mortimer - Blau
BT - Suddenly (Dave Darrell Vocal Mix)
Danger - 4h30
Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko (Boyz Noize Vocal Remix)
Frank Sinatra - New York, New York (Chew Fu Big Room Fix)
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (Chew Fu H1N1 Remix)
Weezer - (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To (Steve Aoki Remix)

http://soundcloud.com/rpresley/mix-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

new mix! inspired by some real dudes around here. ~49 mins.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/7177722898ee3c6f/

Band of Horses - The Funeral (Buckmaster Remix)
So Shifty - Clap (Top Billin Remix)
A-Trak Ft. Drake and Birdman - Loonies to Blow
Fake Blood - Mars (Jack Beats Remix)
Kid Cudi - Pursuit of Happiness (Steve Aoki Remix)
Donna Summer - Bad Girls (SonicC Bootleg)
Boney M - Rasputin (Edit)
Daft Punk - Something About Us (Laberge Edit)
The Cardigans - Lovefool (MR GASPAR Remix)
Valery Gore - Shoes of Glass (TEEN Remix)
Dragonette - Pick Up the Phone (Arithmatix! Remix)
Mille - Crysteena (Fear of Tigers Remix)