Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
You'll be quickly making up the price difference in broken parts and frustration.

Unless your going to be driving in your driveway. Carry on.

Oh man, I so badly want a Baja! Why ya got to tempt me with such awesome stuff? I'd love to get one some day. And with how much I'm into my IGT I could have picked one up. We'll see what happens with the local racing next year. Now that there isn't a local on-road track I may just sell it and get a baja.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Seriously, everything Traxxas makes is goddamn bulletproof. The local novice class is full of Slashes. Those kids will be tearing around the track with the throttle mashed the entire time. They ram into walls, each other, and lawn dart off the jumps. I have never seen one break no matter how hard they drive it. During the summer, there were a pair of guys with brushless e-revos running in the monster truck bracket. They always placed at the top. After the mains were over, they'd usually treat us with a 20ft jump to clear the run of obstacles in the center of the track. I think I've seen one of them break a hinge pin.

The hobby is most enjoyable if you don't have to hit the hobby store every other day.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
SGT Squeaks, I need your skilz for my new touring car. Please seek out my previous post. To you.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
in that case, it's on my list of stuff to gawk at at the store. question is, should i save up for the 1/16 or the 1/10 model. (much money vs silly amount of money)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

BTW, you said that you're an "HPI Fan" on facebook, I posted some pictures of my Blitz on that page like a month ago. If you wanna dig around to look me up, that would be cool.

I sent a message, I hope to the right person :) Cool site BTW, looks like what is needed. I imagine if all the companies that started up for the Savage options had the same thing, a lot more of them would be in business now. There's a UK Baja guy who is trying to do the same thing, but to centralize the race information for all the various countries and clubs, etc. - stuff we don't have time to do ourselves at the moment.

James Woods posted:

nly become a box of spares and broken parts once I have the rig I want. Besides, this way I can order a couple parts every week and slowly put the thing together taking all the time I need getting it just right. A year later I have a sweet Baja that slowly rose from the primordial ooze of my workbench and the Mrs. is none the wiser.

Download the manual and get very intimate with the exploded views :) Building it up piece by piece (wasn't there an old country song where a guy did that with a Cadillac?) is the long and very expensive way to do it (remember you'll be paying for shipping, etc.), but this is the use of the ultimate WDK (Wife Don't Know) fund ;)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

krushgroove posted:

Download the manual and get very intimate with the exploded views :) Building it up piece by piece (wasn't there an old country song where a guy did that with a Cadillac?) is the long and very expensive way to do it (remember you'll be paying for shipping, etc.), but this is the use of the ultimate WDK (Wife Don't Know) fund ;)
Boring suggestion, but have the kit shipped to your work, and smuggle it home piece by piece?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well, Wife may see the credit card bill I guess :) If there's a local shop James Woods can order parts from he won't have to pay shipping and he can pay in cash, get a part or two every couple of weeks, etc., etc...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kuffs posted:

Seriously, everything Traxxas makes is goddamn bulletproof. The local novice class is full of Slashes. Those kids will be tearing around the track with the throttle mashed the entire time. They ram into walls, each other, and lawn dart off the jumps. I have never seen one break no matter how hard they drive it. During the summer, there were a pair of guys with brushless e-revos running in the monster truck bracket. They always placed at the top. After the mains were over, they'd usually treat us with a 20ft jump to clear the run of obstacles in the center of the track. I think I've seen one of them break a hinge pin.

The hobby is most enjoyable if you don't have to hit the hobby store every other day.

I miss my slash. All I have right now is my Tamiya Durga. Granted, it's extremely fast and I placed really really well in all the local races I ran this summer, but good GOD DOES THE THING BREAK.
I've never ran it at the track without breaking hinge pins, a arms, steering kunckles, diffs, spur gears.. The biggest problem is hitting jumps at full speed while just dicking around in practice and landing 10 feet past where even the 1/8th guys hit and breaking stuff on flat landings.

The motor doesn't help at all, but god does it make me miss running my slash on streets and bouncing off curbs and trees without a care in the world.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

I sent a message, I hope to the right person :) Cool site BTW, looks like what is needed. I imagine if all the companies that started up for the Savage options had the same thing, a lot more of them would be in business now. There's a UK Baja guy who is trying to do the same thing, but to centralize the race information for all the various countries and clubs, etc. - stuff we don't have time to do ourselves at the moment.

Hmmmm. Apparently not me! I will be posting another picture of my Blitz to the HPI Facebook page this weekend. I painted up a new body similar to the one that they had as the Christmas Blitz (red with chrome HPI logos and the bow on top). Glad you think the site is cool. It has been a ton of work. I just found the Europe HPI YouTube channel so I subscribed to it. I have a YouTube channel, even though I haven't put any videos up yet. Things are still getting off the ground. How have you guys been doing in the European market? I think that things are going pretty good at the US facility. We had really good growth with them 2009 compared to previous years.

Note to everyone else: Anyone fence sitting on getting a Baja, if you have the scratch then fix the itch. It is the BEST R/C car I have ever had, period. Also for people all :gizz: over the slash, it is a cool truck for sure, but hands down my BLITZ is a better truck. After my wife drove mine for 2 minutes she said "That's it, let's sell my slash I want a Blitz!" which is exactly what we did. I am rid of Traxxas at my house again :)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
goddamn, Traxxas products in general are about 200 USD cheaper in the US than here.

drat you and your crap economy!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Surely if there's a $200 difference you could get somebody to buy you one and ship it over taxed as a gift*

*not that I would ever condone that

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Hypnolobster posted:

Surely if there's a $200 difference you could get somebody to buy you one and ship it over taxed as a gift*

*not that I would ever condone that

this would only work if someone lived near a cheap RC store (the price i got is from towerhobbies) and was willing to send it without packaging. even if caught in customs, the VAT and fees would still be cheaper than buying locally.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

Hypnolobster posted:

I miss my slash. All I have right now is my Tamiya Durga. Granted, it's extremely fast and I placed really really well in all the local races I ran this summer, but good GOD DOES THE THING BREAK.
I've never ran it at the track without breaking hinge pins, a arms, steering kunckles, diffs, spur gears.. The biggest problem is hitting jumps at full speed while just dicking around in practice and landing 10 feet past where even the 1/8th guys hit and breaking stuff on flat landings.

The motor doesn't help at all, but god does it make me miss running my slash on streets and bouncing off curbs and trees without a care in the world.

Anything with that much power in it is going to break. Also 4WD buggies are known for being fragile anyway. You can drive a stock buggy and bash the hell out of it, but strap a mod motor in it and I'm conviced the chassis and a-arms turn into glass. Even what feels like the smallest tap on the pipe or wall will snap it.

Here is my latest Tamiya toy/passion. Always wanted one of these as a kid, now I own one thanks to re-issue :D
There is something about the big spikey tires and the scale looking dune buggy wheels, takes me straight back to my childhood :P

Evil_Ash fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 2, 2010

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cool Frog. I should be getting the Sand Scorcher reissue sometime this month.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

kuffs posted:

SGT Squeaks, I need your skilz for my new touring car. Please seek out my previous post. To you.

Hey man, I haven't painted a body since November. I was getting pretty burned out with painting so I went back into the video game industry. I think I'm going to start painting again in a couple months. But on a much more limited basis, no longer will I paint 15-20 bodies a week. Let me know if you still need something by then.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'm getting into micro helicopters, it's a fun little hobby. I bought a Nine Eagles Solo from a friend (fairly cheap for a coaxial 4ch, that I've found) but it seem to be very hard to find parts for it.

Anyone know of an online store that carry parts for Nine Eagles? Or will I have to buy that stuff on Ebay from a chinese dude?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You may be able to find a site that carries parts, but it'll either be expensive, shady, or just an eBay front store that's going to be shipping from china anyway.

When I had my Lamy coax, I got everything from eBay and it worked out well. It sucks having to wait for parts, but it's a lot cheaper and usually the only place you can find parts for most smaller helis.

I'm blessed and haven't broken a single part on either of my little micro MCX or MSR helis, and I've crashed them both a lot. The MCX in particular has been crashed somewhere around 40 times. It's a damned champ.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hmmmm. Apparently not me! I will be posting another picture of my Blitz to the HPI Facebook page this weekend.

I looked, twice, but can't find a Blitz similar to what you mentioned...just find me here :P http://www.facebook.com/frankmckinney13

At the Nurnberg Toy Fair this week, I've been uploading pictures on the twitter feed (@hpieurope if that isn't spamming), the show's got some good stuff so far, some of the same ol' same ol' as well though. About as quiet as last year, hopefully the rebounding economy extends to hobby purchases :)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Well now, i've gone and ordered myself some FUTURE BATTERIES (LiPO) for my current cars, some TRX connectors for the same and a lipo buzzer so i dont kill my batteries by draining them while dicking around on the tarmac.

at least the batteries where cheap, 27 dollars from hobbyking!

EDIT:

received my batteries today, after soldering on Traxxas connectors, it appears that they work just splendidly in my otherwise unimpressive TT-01E, gotta get me a brushless kit for it. that'd really make it shine.

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 9, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well I'm back from the Toy Fair - did anyone see anything online they're really anxious for? There's a lot of stuff that's kind of no surprise (electric 1/8th buggies for example) but there were a few standouts.

Having driven it a lot, I really like the 1/32 scale car that's coming from HPI (I'll be looking for Scalextric bodies to fit on it) but the new Thunder Tiger racing motorcycle looks really really cool in person, and they have a very nice RC kart, about 1/6th scale, with basically no suspension, small battery, a small 380-size brushless motor and a cool-looking foam driver dude with plastic fairings. Kyosho had a bunch of Red Bull Air Races planes, the one I'd like to have is a tiny little thing for flying indoors, about 8 or 9 inches wingspan with the Red Bull colors. There were the requisite crawlers, buggies, short course and other popular RC designs coming out of Chinese and Taiwan factories, not to mention clones of various pace-setting kits. I didn't get a look at the new Schumacher 2WD buggy but it's supposed to be kind of innovative.

I purchased a couple of RC items for myself (didn't get that boat I wanted though), along with several other things/gifts from other halls (the range of products on display is astounding, think of every model/hobby/craft/costume/toy shop ever and multiply by 100).

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Another kickass vintage HPI car.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/369409-f-s-old-skool-hpi-super-nitro-rs4-clean-roller-used-once.html

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Very cool, I wonder where he got the foams for it. They look like Kyosho Super Ten wheels but there were tires & wheels available for the cars back in 'the day'. I have a set or two of rain tires from some company that's probably no longer around. My Super Nitro has the V12 LMR body on it, that was the best-performing one really. Too bad cheap brushless wasn't available early enough to make the Super RS4 (electric) a real killer, that would have been a really fun class.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

It's a good thing that I've been broke both times you've posted gorgeous old HPI stuff.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
And here's a loving gorgeous body to go on it http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/333244-300mm-lamboghini-body-painted-hpi-super-nitro-tamiya-tgr-tgx.html

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

*derail*
Brings back memories of wanting to buy that Schumacher Big 6 car. I don't know if anyone remembers that but it was a RWD 1/6th scale car. I had childhood dreams of putting what was a then new brushless system (brushless for anything but air was just hitting the market) for an E-Maxx in there. It was a single E-maxx size motor that ran off dual packs and had some massive power. Pair that up with some 3300 matched packs and I was sure to break 100mph. Or just do endless doughnuts in the hobbystore parking lot.

Sorry for that. Just reliving my young adult geek dreams.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Haha, the thread is about RC cars. Not a derail.

I think large scale RC is loving awesome. You get some awfully scale looking cars when they get larger. But as it is right now, it's just a bigger toy to try and stuff in the back of my Mazda 3.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Is that a loving brake disc?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, a high performance option over the fiber one. I just picked up an Nitro RS4 Racer 2 roller with one installed.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

kuffs posted:

Haha, the thread is about RC cars. Not a derail.

I think large scale RC is loving awesome. You get some awfully scale looking cars when they get larger. But as it is right now, it's just a bigger toy to try and stuff in the back of my Mazda 3.

The Big 6 actually came with a beautiful Lotus Sport Elise shell.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

We lost our only local on-road track when the race director moved. But I found out yesterday that there will be on-road racing this season. YES!

I'm so excited I'm going to start up my painting again. Guess I'll go pickup a body for my IGT tomorrow. Can't run the same old beat up body.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

Very cool, I wonder where he got the foams for it. They look like Kyosho Super Ten wheels but there were tires & wheels available for the cars back in 'the day'. I have a set or two of rain tires from some company that's probably no longer around. My Super Nitro has the V12 LMR body on it, that was the best-performing one really. Too bad cheap brushless wasn't available early enough to make the Super RS4 (electric) a real killer, that would have been a really fun class.

Speak of the devil

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/370483-hpi-rs4-super-electric-1-8-new-build.html

Weissbier
Apr 8, 2007
good for the soul
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Traxxas brushless E-revo - What a blast!

My daughter and I went to a nearby elementary playground where they were getting ready to do some construction. There was a 7' tall mound of small pebbles we repeatedly jumped the E-revo from resulting in a broken battery tray lid. Going to get some ca glue today and hope I can mend it well enough before the new lid comes in.

*edit* glue didn't hold. It's out of commission until the new parts arrive.

Weissbier fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 14, 2010

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Weissbier posted:

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Traxxas brushless E-revo - What a blast!

My daughter and I went to a nearby elementary playground where they were getting ready to do some construction. There was a 7' tall mound of small pebbles we repeatedly jumped the E-revo from resulting in a broken battery tray lid. Going to get some ca glue today and hope I can mend it well enough before the new lid comes in.

*edit* glue didn't hold. It's out of commission until the new parts arrive.

is that the 1:8 E-revo or is is the VXL 1:16?

either way, do give a bigger trip report, me and a buddy want to pick one up each next month, although just the 1:16 version :)

for repairing parts until replacements can be procured, look into getting some https://www.sugru.com that stuff rules (if you dont mess about with it while it cures)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Hahaha, this thing uses the 2-speed out of my Nitro RS4

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/370647-rc-dragster-sale-brand-new.html

It is also awesome

Weissbier
Apr 8, 2007
good for the soul

Frobbe posted:

is that the 1:8 E-revo or is is the VXL 1:16?

either way, do give a bigger trip report, me and a buddy want to pick one up each next month, although just the 1:16 version :)

for repairing parts until replacements can be procured, look into getting some https://www.sugru.com that stuff rules (if you dont mess about with it while it cures)

I'll see about bringing my Flip and making a vid or maybe a camera. I have the 1/10th scale behemoth.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Seems like forever ago but i used to have a Bolink drag car, electric. We had a local track that catered to them so it was a blast, when i could keep the body from self destructing. I had no idea there was still a market for rc drags.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm just glad there are no nice prepared tracks around here. I'd probably own more ridiculous RC cars if I knew I had somewhere to actually drive them.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

Well I'm back from the Toy Fair - did anyone see anything online they're really anxious for? There's a lot of stuff that's kind of no surprise (electric 1/8th buggies for example) but there were a few standouts.

Having driven it a lot, I really like the 1/32 scale car that's coming from HPI (I'll be looking for Scalextric bodies to fit on it) but the new Thunder Tiger racing motorcycle looks really really cool in person, and they have a very nice RC kart, about 1/6th scale, with basically no suspension, small battery, a small 380-size brushless motor and a cool-looking foam driver dude with plastic fairings. Kyosho had a bunch of Red Bull Air Races planes, the one I'd like to have is a tiny little thing for flying indoors, about 8 or 9 inches wingspan with the Red Bull colors.
I saw a picture of the little car, it looks interesting. There are a couple of things that I would have made slightly different on it to make it more compatible with things that are out on the market, but overall I think it will do alright. Ilook forward to seeing someone else other than Team Losi with their stupid little cars. Out of Germany, I loved the 2002 BMW body, PLEASE send that to the US. I would love that sitting on top of my cup racer. Also seeing the SandScorcher from Tamiya was sweet, along with the full size sand scorcher. I think I found you on facebook, I sent you a PM there. If you have the HPI Europe logo as your profile then I am pretty sure that was you.

Pretty normal Monday for me so far. The owner of Pro-Line is in town skiing so he stopped by for a quick visit with us, I scored a free beanie. We are planning on going to the Las Vegas hobby show that is next month (I think?). I'm not sure if I am going to be there or not.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Tell them to make clay tires for short course trucks. I blew nearly an hour grinding down a set of stock tires for my SC10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
2-speed Baja transmission in the works http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/370556-2-speed-gear-box-hpi.html