Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Which would you recommend?

Lusteds AI was good enough to get him hired by Creative Assembly, so give that one a whirl.
Word to the wise though, stay away from the darthmod stuff, unless you want to look at stupid irritating childish starwars splash screens that have no place being in the game. The DARTH VADER guy does some good work, but holy gently caress man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I just picked up Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. I know about the glitch where you can cancel the cost of any support marked by a smoke grenade, but is there anything else I should know?

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

This is a long shot given that it's such an old game and not a particularly well-known one to boot, but any tips for Machiavelli:The Prince?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I rolled a male soldier Shepard for a ME playthrough before ME 2 comes out and I was planning on using Liara, but should i pick Garrus or Tali? Also i read the wiki about this game and it said to wait to do any sidequests until i get all my characters. How far into the main plot do I have to get before I get all my guys? Any other beginner tips would be appreciated :).

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 25, 2010

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Cranky posted:

I rolled a male soldier Shepard for a ME playthrough before ME 2 comes out and I was planning on using Liara, but should i pick Garrus or Tali? Also i read the wiki about this game and it said to wait to do any sidequests until i get all my characters. How far into the main plot do I have to get before I get all my guys? Any other beginner tips would be appreciated :).
You can get all companions shortly after you get off the Citadel for the first time. It'll tell you what planet Liara is on. If you care about the Ally achievements, don't do any sidequests until you have your preferred party.

As for Garrus vs. Tali, just use the one you like more. ME's easy enough that it won't make a huge difference as long as you have someone that can unlock and decrypt stuff.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2010

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cranky posted:

I rolled a male soldier Shepard for a ME playthrough before ME 2 comes out and I was planning on using Liara, but should i pick Garrus or Tali. Also i read the wiki about this game and it said to wait to do any sidequests until i get all my characters. How far into the main plot do I have to get before I get all my guys. Any other beginner tips would be appreciated :).

You pick up everyone but Liara during the main storyline before you leave the Citadel. Liara is also found on the main storyline, but you find her on one of the planets when the storyline branches. Since you can do the storyline planets in any order, you can potentially not get her until near the very end of the game.

The only reason to avoid side missions until you have your "final" party is to get the achievements associated with each party member. You need to complete something like 15 main missions and 35 side missions with a particular member in your party in order to get the achievement.

At least in the XBox version, the party member achievements give you slight bonuses. Cooldown reductions in some of your abilities, some hp regen, or a hardening bonus. Nothing gamebreaking, but kinda nice if you plan on multiple playthroughs.

As for other tips, make sure that you have someone in your party that has decryption and possibly hacking. You need decryption to break into all the locked cabinets and crates without using omnigel. But the game uses whichever character has the highest rank in it, so no need for more than one person if you don't want.

On normal difficulty, you don't need to worry much about your teammates. They will use their abilities reasonably well, and provide a little bit of supporting fire. There is no penalty if they die, as they will get right back up when the fighting is over (or you get an ability at some point that will rez them).

Talk with all available party memebers in between each main story planet. You will pick up a couple of side missions that way. This is also how you advance the Romantic subplot.

Tips for driving the mako on the Xbox. The right bumper is what fires the cannon. It will make combat much quicker, as the cannon does a lot more damage than the machine gun. Also, when you are zoomed in with the left trigger, click R3 to zoom in more. You can click R3 a second time to zoom in either further. The side effect of this, is that you can fire the cannon and machinegun much further downward/upward when zoomed in like this.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

From the wiki: http://www.centipeed.com/wsik/index.php/Site/MassEffect

The first two replies are

quote:

- Get Rich quick. No, really, get the "Rich" achievement as soon as possible, don't save anything as far as gear or drops, just sell it all, and sell it all to the doctor on the Citadel for max profit. There are exploits for infinite money, you don't have to use them, but the game is criminally easy as soon as you can get your hands on Spectre gear.

- Dont worry about getting the Rich achievement, it will come with time. AS you level up, the equipment that enemies carry gets better and you can sell it and be swimming with money. Just keep playing. Besides, that stuff makes the game really easier.

I'm literally about to start Mass Effect (I bought the drat thing with my xbox about 2 years ago, its never been in the drive yet, so its probably about time) and I dont know who to believe!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SiKboy posted:

I'm literally about to start Mass Effect (I bought the drat thing with my xbox about 2 years ago, its never been in the drive yet, so its probably about time) and I dont know who to believe!

They're not exactly saying the opposite thing. What the second person means is don't fret about not having a lot of money right away, and that item drops and such will allow you to get that achievement in due time.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SiKboy posted:

Once you get the Rich ($1M) achievement, you can buy Spectre weaponry, which easily outclasses anything else you'll find in the game. The sooner you get Rich, the sooner you tear poo poo up like a Krogan Warlord in a room full of Salarian accountants. So buy the first couple of medigel/grenade upgrades and then save all your money until you're rich (first option).

The only other advice I feel compelled to give is play the game with Wrex and either Garrus or Tali; the other three are useless and/or annoying.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Cranky posted:

Option D: Wrex.

You need Wrex.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Any pearls of wisdom out there for Lock's Quest on DS?

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Notinghamington posted:

I didn't get this during a steam sale, but I still got it, The Void; anything I need to know before playing it?

Avoid spoilers, be prepared to replay a few cycles back with upcoming knowledge. And no-one is telling you the whole truth. That's the best way to go into it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just got Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment off the PSN. I have the first two games but I keep not getting around to playing them. I know it's a prequel, but will it really hurt me not to have played the first two games before getting into this one? Where does series continuity rank between games in this series on a scale from Alundra to Xenosaga?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nonvalueadded User posted:

The only other advice I feel compelled to give is play the game with Wrex and either Garrus or Tali; the other three are useless and/or annoying.

Alternately, I would say that only Wrex, Liara, and Tali are worth having in your party, and that the other three are useless and/or annoying. Wrex is a mixed bag, also, since his character is painfully one-dimensionally evil for the most part, but it is obvious that he is the best stock combat character (other than your own, if you go that route). The best part is that someone will argue with this, pointing out that his evil is just a result of his race's history, but the fact remains that BioWare loves throwing in horribly rude, blatantly evil, and fundamentally unlikable characters to see what kind of rabid adulation they can develop for them on the Internet regardless (Morrigan).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Here's one for Terranigma, because I'm replaying it and am always amazed at how long it took me to figure this out:

Magirock is reusable. When you cast a spell, you recover the magirock used to create it. That means the number of magirock you have represents your maximum MP.

For ages I thought magirock was consumed on use and never cast spells unless absolutely necessary.

Scabscar
Sep 30, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Aren't they basically BI hordes? Can I stick an army on a bridge and take them out one stack at a time?

Technically they are, but on a far bigger scale. Around a dozen 10-star generals with near-maximum dread upgrades, 2 or so to a stack (and there are a lot of stacks), with high experience, high level units w/enhanced armour + weapons and all the morale in the world. They can appear from any part of the eastern edge, and are generally quite spread out, so bottlenecking them is possible but will need some luck.

Also, just when you should be done clearing up the Mongols, the Timurids arrive. They're exactly the same, but with elephants. Good luck!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Once you get the Rich ($1M) achievement, you can buy Spectre weaponry, which easily outclasses anything else you'll find in the game. The sooner you get Rich, the sooner you tear poo poo up like a Krogan Warlord in a room full of Salarian accountants. So buy the first couple of medigel/grenade upgrades and then save all your money until you're rich (first option).

The financial advice in ME is pretty useless, because you'll eventually get it as long as you go for a playthrough where you do every single sidequest you receive. Saving stuff early on and selling it and never spending your money is pointless because of how the game scales. Sure, you can "save up" those credits in the beginning but towards the end of the game you start selling things worth 20 times as much as the early things you get. The only actual advice is, after 3/4ths of the game, save up your money, because the stuff you save up early is inconsequential.

Since the game scales with level, if you do every single quest you can find you'll end up at around level 50/51 by game's end. Start saving up the money you get around level 40+ and you'll get the money no problem no matter how much you spend in the beginning.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quarex posted:

Alternately, I would say that only Wrex, Liara, and Tali are worth having in your party, and that the other three are useless and/or annoying. Wrex is a mixed bag, also, since his character is painfully one-dimensionally evil for the most part, but it is obvious that he is the best stock combat character (other than your own, if you go that route). The best part is that someone will argue with this, pointing out that his evil is just a result of his race's history, but the fact remains that BioWare loves throwing in horribly rude, blatantly evil, and fundamentally unlikable characters to see what kind of rabid adulation they can develop for them on the Internet regardless (Morrigan).

It's sad that this is the entirety of Edwin and HK-47's appeal but at least they were quirky and funny. Morrigan is just straight up annoying and probably BioWare's worst character that was given so much spotlight in the press.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just started playing ME and Wrex is my favorite by far - I just like his grumpy attitude. Ashley was the first to go. I haven't played any other Bioware game, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 27, 2010

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
I'm replaying Mass Effect and plan on importing my character into Mass Effect 2, if I'm romancing Liara should I let Kaidan or Ashley die to get the most enjoyable result in ME2?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ArcaneMan posted:

I'm replaying Mass Effect and plan on importing my character into Mass Effect 2, if I'm romancing Liara should I let Kaidan or Ashley die to get the most enjoyable result in ME2?

From what I've seen, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Not very important spoiler below
You do get a picture of the character you romanced on your desk in ME2, which is neat.

Slightly more important spoiler:
I romanced Kaidan, and in ME2 he showed up just long enough to tell me he had moved on since two years had passed since you died, and then berated me for siding with Cerebus.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone have any tips for Final fantasy 9? Any easy ways to get through it?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

casual poster posted:

A few things I can remember off the top of my head.

Don't upgrade your gear right away. Learn everything from it, then upgrade.

Take advantage of Chocobo Hot & Cold right away. The rewards from Chocographs are great.

There is a dungeon where you'll come across hordes of stone enemies. If you have a stockpile of Softs, it's easymode.

The card game makes no sense at all, don't try to understand it.

I'll post some more if I can think of anything.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

casual poster posted:

Don't sell old equipment. Eventually you come across synthesis shops, which can combine common items to create new ones, but some of the needed ingredients are permanently missable. Some recipes require multiple of the same item, so be careful of that. This GameFAQs guide lists the buyables you need multiples of if you want to make every item. (not every item listed is missable though) I don't remember if this makes money troublesome, so someone please point out whether it does for me.

Some of the equips that teach skills are also missable, like Vivi's Octagon Rod which teaches the -ga spells. You should be be fine on this if you check every shop, as all of them are buyable.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

casual poster posted:

Don't sell the weakest weapons of each character, they can come in handy for a certain dungeon.

The card game is stupid as hell, you don't get any big rewards from it so don't bother.

One of the summoners your group can get will be able to use Carbuncle, which will give everyone Reflect, which isn't that great. If you equip an Emerald, Moonstone or Diamond in the summoner character's accessory slot Carbuncle will give a different, often far more beneficial effect.

At a certain point in the game, you'll be told to split your party up, and that one party will be going to a place where magic isn't that useful. Take the guys advice and don't send any magic users there.

I think Zidane's Thievery attack causes damage based on how many successful steals you've been able to accomplish, also the Dragoon's Dragon Crest is based on how many Dragons you've killed. Keeping that in mind, it's possible to make both attacks very strong as the game progresses, especially given both don't cost a lot of MP to use.

Sometimes you'll come across enemies in the wild that have odd battle music and request a specific jewel. Do NOT attack them. Give them the jewel if you have it, or if not just run away and return if/when you do find one. Note that if an enemy shows up asking for a jewel and the odd battle music is not playing, feel free to bash their skulls in.

Finally, there's a way to end most fights quickly using the Blue Mage character. Have "It" Eat a Mandragora, Mu, Axe Beak, Blazer Beetle, Jabberwock, or Catoblepas to learn an attack called Limit Glove, which will do jack poo poo unless "It" is at 1hp. So cast Auto Life on "It" (have "It" Eat a Carrion Worm, Gimme Cat, Cerberus, Yan, or Stilva and "It" will learn to cast the spell on "It"self.), kill "It, watch "It" spring back to life, then have "It" use Limit Glove on any enemies.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

'Bird Killer' applies to anything that is in the air, bird or otherwise.

Bosses usually have decent stuff to nab and they usually have multiple items to steal.

If you are having trouble beating Gizamamluke, go find some Mandragoras. They hang out in forests somewhere outsize of Gizamamluke's grotto. Have Quina eat one (requires the enemy to have low health) to learn Limit Glove which deals 9999 damage if used when Quina has 1 HP. Phoenix Downs will always revive characters with 1 HP if used in the menu (random single digit HP if in battle).

*edit*

Alris posted:

I think Zidane's Thievery attack causes damage based on how many successful steals you've been able to accomplish, also the Dragoon's Dragon Crest is based on how many Dragons you've killed. Keeping that in mind, it's possible to make both attacks very strong as the game progresses, especially given both don't cost a lot of MP to use.

You're right with Thievery, but it takes way too many successful steals to be worth it. Dragon's Crest is easy though; Use Level 5 Doom with the dragons above Gizamamluke's Grotto and you'll be set in no time.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 29, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Phoenix Downs will always revive characters with 1 HP if used in the menu (random single digit HP if in battle).

This isn't true. The single digit HP revive is the same in the menu and during battle. I was trying to get the blue mage to 1hp through the menu, and I had to reset several times before it revived for 1hp.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Alris posted:

Finally, there's a way to end most fights quickly using the Blue Mage character. Have "It" Eat a Mandragora, Mu, Axe Beak, Blazer Beetle, Jabberwock, or Catoblepas to learn an attack called Limit Glove, which will do jack poo poo unless "It" is at 1hp. So cast Auto Life on "It" (have "It" Eat a Carrion Worm, Gimme Cat, Cerberus, Yan, or Stilva and "It" will learn to cast the spell on "It"self.), kill "It, watch "It" spring back to life, then have "It" use Limit Glove on any enemies.

Any reason we're not revealing what 'It' is?

Make sure you utilise each characters abilities effectively, there's not much point having Garnet or Vivi attacking in battle unless you're trying to conserve MP (vivi has focus anyway so use that if you want give him something to do). Steiner's magic sword abilities are pretty powerful early on in the game especially if you abuse enemy elemental weaknesses.

It is useful to have Zidane use steal a fair amount just on the grounds that early on in the game it provides you with free healing items, and you'll find the occasional rare item this way.

Don't worry about the friendly animals too much, they're only really important for the endgame content.

Don't worry too much about missing treasure chests or whatever, most useful items you can buy later on anyway, and there are only a few items that are one offs

Don't bother with the Excalibur 2, it's Squaresoft making a moronic design choice and it's not that much more useful since by endgame you'll be hitting 5k+ with most attacks and the hard optional bosses don't get any easier if you have it

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

Any reason we're not revealing what 'It' is?

I believe the poster used "It" because it's hard to tell whether the Blue Mage is a he or a she.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Polite Tim posted:

Don't bother with the Excalibur 2, it's Squaresoft making a moronic design choice and it's not that much more useful since by endgame you'll be hitting 5k+ with most attacks and the hard optional bosses don't get any easier if you have it

Expanding on this, getting Excalibur 2 requires getting to the last dungeon (or next to last) within 12 hours. To do this, you must skip all cutscenes by opening the Playstation just before they start, the closing it to save time.

I don't know if this can be done on a Playstation 2.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Capsaicin posted:

The PS2 resets when you open the tray, so without a case mod (they exist for bootdisc-swapping) it is impossible.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

A shrubbery! posted:

The PS2 resets when you open the tray, so without a case mod (they exist for bootdisc-swapping) it is impossible.

No, it doesn't. Well, at least the slim doesn't.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Expanding on this, getting Excalibur 2 requires getting to the last dungeon (or next to last) within 12 hours. To do this, you must skip all cutscenes by opening the Playstation just before they start, the closing it to save time.

While this is recommended by a lot of people, it's not required. The speedrun on SDA doesn't skip FMVs and still gets a time of eight and a half hours. Either way, it absolutely isn't something you should try on a first playthrough.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Zaku II SB posted:

While this is recommended by a lot of people, it's not required. The speedrun on SDA doesn't skip FMVs and still gets a time of eight and a half hours. Either way, it absolutely isn't something you should try on a first playthrough.

Or ever, since there's no way to break the damage cap and Shock always does 9999 anyways.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gmq posted:

No, it doesn't. Well, at least the slim doesn't.

Normal PS2 also does not reset when opening the disc tray.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

casual poster posted:

In the Ice Cavern, there's not a retardedly high encounter rate, battles are triggered when you walk through the gusts of wind.

The damage for Thievery increases with Zidane's level and the number of successful thefts. I don't remember the exact formula.

The damage for Frog Drop increases with Quina's level and the number of frogs caught. Again I don't remember the exact formula.

The damage for Freya's Dragon Crest is the number of dragons killed squared. So killing 100 dragon type enemies will raise it to 9999 damage for 8mp.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

In the Ice Cavern, there's not a retardedly high encounter rate, battles are triggered when you walk through the gusts of wind.

The damage for Thievery increases with Zidane's level and the number of successful thefts. I don't remember the exact formula.

The damage for Frog Drop increases with Quina's level and the number of frogs caught. Again I don't remember the exact formula.

The damage for Freya's Dragon Crest is the number of dragons killed squared. So killing 100 dragon type enemies will raise it to 9999 damage for 8mp.

The number of dragons Freya kills IIRC. Lots of wasted time in that department.

Don't defeat a boss until you successfully steal from them. Every single boss carries a unique item and your first 10 or so turns will always come up as misses.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Centipeed posted:

I believe the poster used "It" because it's hard to tell whether the Blue Mage is a he or a she.

Conceiling the identity of a character in a decade old game who was big in the promotional material anyway? Never mind.

Any tips for Growlanser Heritage of war?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Polite Tim posted:

Conceiling the identity of a character in a decade old game who was big in the promotional material anyway? Never mind.

Any tips for Growlanser Heritage of war?

Actually, I don't think ANYBODY knows Quina's gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The number of items stolen, multiplied by half Zidane's SPD attribute.

quote:

It's Quina's level multiplied by the number of frogs caught. Since characters can reach level 99, and you can catch up to 100 frogs, Frog Drop can do up to 9,900 points of damage.

Thanks Neoseeker!

And yeah, Quina's gender is unknown. Even the characters in-game refer to Quina as "s/he" or "it.