Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If this video is any indication, Cornette may have just cut the same promo if Sean Waltman was in the WWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieX_Pd1b9A

Could you ever imagine the WWE today allowing someone to go on a 3 minute tirade about how WWE stinks and "Sports Entertainment" is garbage?

Joey styles did exactly that in his worked shoot quitting. Also, there is a reason cornette is no longer hired by the majors. I hope he's doing well in ROH.

Gus Sawchuk posted:

One of the things that pissed me off the most about WCW around '98 was the crowds. Two guys could be having an amazing match, but if one of the top draws wasn't involved, the crowd would crap all over it. Here is an example of that, which is one of my favorite matches in WCW history. The crowd barely reacts to this match until near the end:

La Parka/Silver King vs. Damien/Ciclope in a "Mexican Hardcore Match"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x81u7q_wcw-mexican-hardcore-match_sport

I'm not sure if I just saw a very bad or very good match. The commentary was weird though, largely because of them continually saying they wouldn't bother kicking out, and being racist as gently caress.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wait. A GLAAD rep gave Lenny and Lodi a gravy boat, or Billy and Chuck?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Strangely enough GLAAD wasn't annoyed at the Lenny and Lodi angle itself. They felt that it was being used as retaliation by WCW for their complaints over Konnan and Rey's repeated use of the word 'human being' on nitro on the way to the ring. It was the complaints over this that made Turner look closer at the WCW product and put pressure on the booking staff to kill any angle that may be contraversal.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

LividLiquid posted:

Wait. A GLAAD rep gave Lenny and Lodi a gravy boat, or Billy and Chuck?

Billy and Chuck. If I remember correctly they did it on Good Morning America.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Skinty McEdger posted:

Strangely enough GLAAD wasn't annoyed at the Lenny and Lodi angle itself. They felt that it was being used as retaliation by WCW for their complaints over Konnan and Rey's repeated use of the word 'human being' on nitro on the way to the ring. It was the complaints over this that made Turner look closer at the WCW product and put pressure on the booking staff to kill any angle that may be contraversal.

Rey yelling human being? This I need to see.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Dave... you're hurting me... you human being.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

other miscellaneous dumb poo poo that WCW did over the years.

GI Bro: "Hey, we have an african american guy here who was half of a really hot tag team, had an awesome best of seven series with Benoit, and if handled right could be a major and credible main event face. Should we start pushing him to the moon?" "Nah, let's cover him in camo and give him a name that's a cross between a melvin van peebles movie and an action figure"

"Mick Foley put my rear end in this seat": While the Fingerpoke Of Doom gets a lot more press, I think this incident might actually be more of an indication of how badly WCW was loving up at this point. Giving away the results of RAW matches was pretty old hat by this point, but it worked best when they spoiled non-events of the "don't bother watching, the champ retains" variety. Spoiling the fact that the exceptionally popular Mick Foley was finally going to win was in effect giving a free ad for WWF and pointing out that their content was more interesting. Rather than saying "something boring will happen, don't bother" it yelled "something fantastic is happening, turn over now!"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

GI Bro: "Hey, we have an african american guy here who was half of a really hot tag team, had an awesome best of seven series with Benoit, and if handled right could be a major and credible main event face. Should we start pushing him to the moon?" "Nah, let's cover him in camo and give him a name that's a cross between a melvin van peebles movie and an action figure"

That was Booker T's first gimmick in his career (prior to WCW). Now, I'm not sure why they went back to it, but I'd guess Vince Russo was involved.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lamuella posted:

other miscellaneous dumb poo poo that WCW did over the years.

Luckily he did not decide to reuse the idea of him being a slave being led out by a white slave holder.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

CM Junk posted:

Dave... you're hurting me... you human being.

Dave... you're hurting me... I SAID DID YOU FORGET YOUR SCISSORS?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I SAID, did you forget your SCISSORS???

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That human being Mick Foley forgot his scissors...THAT'LL put asses in the seats!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Well, that joke is as dead as Louie Spicolli.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Too soon.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I know it's overplayed to do the WCW/TNA comparisons but:

WCW brought a local radio host into the storyline (Jimmy Hart challenging DJs and facing Mancow on PPV...TWICE if I am not mistaken)
TNA brought a local radio host into the storyline (Bubba the Love Sponge being a mediator between Hogan and Jarrett as well as a backstage interviewer)

Also a couple other things that sucked about WCW that should get more attention (and might have in this topic already):

Riki Rachtman and Spring Breakout (with one exception)
DJ Ran
Buff Bagwell's "fake" fake matches
What happened to the world title immediately after Benoit left the company

But WCW had a few diamonds in the rough:
The one Spring Breakout with a psychotic young woman who loved David Flair and ended up saving David's rear end at a PPV (DAFFNEY!!!)
Anything Norman Smiley did (my personal favorite: Smiley and Ralphus raid a backyard wrestling fed, steal the title with a screwjob, and run like hell)
Tank Abbott finding a niche as 3 Count's groupie (the guy seemed to be genuinely loving the gig)

I am forgetting many more. I will post them if I can remember.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TNA also brought in local radio host Danny Bonaduce for a dark match, who WCW had also brought in.

Zoltarb
Oct 27, 2007

CVagts posted:

Anything Norman Smiley did (my personal favorite: Smiley and Ralphus raid a backyard wrestling fed, steal the title with a screwjob, and run like hell)

Oh god i must have this

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CVagts posted:

DJ Ran

That was the hiphop DJ they had for a while, right? Afilliated with No Limit Solzdierz or whatever they were called?

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

Lamuella posted:

You forgot to mention that he started using that name because he had lost a feud to a bloated Ahmed Johnson who claimed to have legal ownership of the letter T and that he didn't want to be known as just 'Booker' because 'all the boys in the back would hate him.'

Stupid and fourth wall breaking. Classic Russo.

CVagts posted:

DJ Ran
HOOTIE HOO!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Volcano Style posted:

HOOTIE HOO!

I have to admit the "Rap is Crap" song one group came up with as a counter was kinda fun. Bobby Duncum Jr was one, can't remember the rest off the top of my head.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Volcano Style posted:

You forgot to mention that he started using that name because he had lost a feud to a bloated Ahmed Johnson who claimed to have legal ownership of the letter T and that he didn't want to be known as just 'Booker' because 'all the boys in the back would hate him.'

Stupid and fourth wall breaking. Classic Russo.

I think it was Mark Madden that said that all of the boys in the back would hate him, not Booker himself.

Kammat posted:

I have to admit the "Rap is Crap" song one group came up with as a counter was kinda fun. Bobby Duncum Jr was one, can't remember the rest off the top of my head.

The West Texas Rednecks is who you're thinking of with Bobby Duncum, Barry Windham, Kendall Windham and Curt Hennig, I believe.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the Rap Is Crap song was awesome.

Anyone remember when the World's Greatest Tag Team covered it in their feud with the APA?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Where is this Bischoff calling Sid out about the scissors video? I completely remember seeing it as a kid on TV.

X-Sgt. Zypygski
Oct 23, 2006

by T. Finninho
DJ Ran reminds me of something else... the Nitro Girls.

The Nitro Girls sucked.

Yes, pretty girls are a good thing, but multiple cheerleading/dance routines that go on forever during every Nitro are not.

I guess they thought they needed some more entertainment when they went to three hour Nitros, but that wasn't really the best choice.

When I finally made it to a live Nitro (the first New Blood/scissors show) they had DJ Ran and the Nitro girls, but they kept them to commercial breaks. That makes a whole lot more sense, if they must have things like that. Give the audience something to look at while nothing much is going on, but don't waste TV time on that.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CortezFantastic posted:

Where is this Bischoff calling Sid out about the scissors video? I completely remember seeing it as a kid on TV.

It was posted at least twice in this thread.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
DJ Ran, UP IN YOUR AREA~!

What a lovely, lovely part of Nitro.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 29, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DJ Ran had nothing to do with the No Limit Soldiers. He was just a DJ that hyped the crowd during commercials and segued into the Nitro Girls.

Before this, though, they kept putting him on goddamn TV where his DJ booth would be covered with SURGE bottles for product placement and he'd just scream "Aight, y'all! Make some NOIIIIIISE!" over and over again. He was loving terrible. Word is, though, after they took him off television and he just played music and poo poo during the ads, he was a pretty good addition to the live show.

And the Nitro Girls ruled. gently caress the haters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Nitro girls were good for ratings, shocking as it may sound.

And the best SURGE product placement was when they would use a giant SURGE can in hardcore matches.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never really thought the Nitro Girls were a problem, especially in the 3 hour show days. There were the occasional extended segments with them but for the most part they were just dancing in the parts of the show where we'd normally be looking at fans or the outside of the arena or the announcers sitting at their desk running down what's coming up next. And I'd rather look at the Nitro Girls than Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler. To that end I thought they were a fine part of the show, that you'd think served a purpose for the live audience during commercial breaks. Cheerleaders may not be high art but this is just wrestling.

Its when they got their own extended segments that it got a little tiresome. Then it came close to the uselessness of Kelly Kelly's Extreme Expose. But in small doses as transitions between segments or commercials? You won't see me complaining about hot chicks.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I just remembered something and have decided to post it itt because if I don't I'll probably forget it forever.

In 3rd grade I used to watch WCW on Saturday mornings (It was on at the same time as Tin Tin and I used to flip quickly back to TinTin if I heard my parents coming downstairs because for some reason I thought wrestling was bad and I shouldn't be watching it). I went to school one day and two boys, Reed and Zach (Zach later went on to become my best friend, and in 6th grade, with the attitude era in full swing, we'd have hardcore matches at his farm) were talking about their favourite wrestlers.

I said "My favourite wrestler is Sting!" and they laughed in my face and said "haha you watch WCW???"

Which is why I switched to the WWF.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lucha does nitro girls. I think the nitro girls thing would be perfect for a bunch of the WWE Divas.

I think the dumbest thing that I ever remember WCW doing was some Kane knockoff called The Umpire or something. Exact face paint and mannerisms. I think he jobbed to Buff Bagwell on a Nitro/Thunder and was never seen again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DannoMack posted:

I just remembered something and have decided to post it itt because if I don't I'll probably forget it forever.

In 3rd grade I used to watch WCW on Saturday mornings (It was on at the same time as Tin Tin and I used to flip quickly back to TinTin if I heard my parents coming downstairs because for some reason I thought wrestling was bad and I shouldn't be watching it). I went to school one day and two boys, Reed and Zach (Zach later went on to become my best friend, and in 6th grade, with the attitude era in full swing, we'd have hardcore matches at his farm) were talking about their favourite wrestlers.

I said "My favourite wrestler is Sting!" and they laughed in my face and said "haha you watch WCW???"

Which is why I switched to the WWF.
While I'm sure your experience was more common as WWF definitely was more popular at the time, I strangely had a very different experience. I wasn't a wrestling fan and mostly thought it was full of ridiculous cartoons I had no interest in, then a friend had a set of WCW trading cards and went out of his way to convince me that this was the more realistic company without all those silly cartoons. So I checked out Saturday Night and saw a largely more realistic product and decided "why not?" And then I flipped over to whatever was on Nickelodeon when I heard my parents coming to the room.

Of course not soon after the Dungeon of Doom would appear, but still.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Not sure if this ever got posted, but Dr Death vs Jerry Only in a cage match from Nitro in 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jifupX5YUc

An awful gimmick, a celebrity wrestling (although he hit the cross body from the top rope!) and a 3 minute cage match, and they even don't bother calling the escape from the cage. Not to mention they didn't even ring the bell for a good 10 seconds after he got out.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

DannoMack posted:

what the hell who cares what their names were

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

spongeh posted:

Not sure if this ever got posted, but Dr Death vs Jerry Only in a cage match from Nitro in 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jifupX5YUc

An awful gimmick, a celebrity wrestling (although he hit the cross body from the top rope!) and a 3 minute cage match, and they even don't bother calling the escape from the cage. Not to mention they didn't even ring the bell for a good 10 seconds after he got out.

Wasn't that during the time Vampiro kept bouncing back and forth between coming out with the Misfits, ICP and by himself?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vampiro sucks. And yes, it was.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Dylar Addict posted:

what the hell who cares what their names were

you?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

LividLiquid posted:

Vampiro sucks. And yes, it was.

I really have no clue why but at the time Vampiro was one of my favorite guys. I think it was mainly a combination of the corpse paint, using the Michinoku Driver and his awesome theme.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
He also used Kong at the Gates by the new Misfits, it's a really great song and is a perfect wrestling theme song, but it would work more for a guy like Kane or Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Speaking of Vampiro, I seem to recall a plan to do a PPV on December 31, 1999 called New Year's Evil that would have featured the Demon dropping Vampiro and ICP into a pool of holy water, which would have turned them face.