Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

PaintVagrant posted:

future floor wax

Don't think you can get this in the UK, but you can get Johnson's Klear which works for me at least. It's a couple of quid for half a litre and will probably last you a lifetime. Personally I'd also recommend getting an ink similar to the colour you're using; the fact that they're already watery despite being highly pigmented is a big help. Don't ask me about ratios though, I just eyeball it -- I use a lot of water to a little ink with a little Klear (descriptive huh).

The thing with making washes out of ink though is that unless you have decent matte varnish, your models end up really shiny. Makes it perfect for gold and other shiny bits (Chestnut Ink 4 lyf yo) though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Myopic, do you know the best place to get Johnson's Klear? it seems to be that Wilkos stock it, which is terrible because bullshit-awful-Manchester is THE ONLY CITY IN THE COUNTRY that does not have a Wilkinsons.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Pretty sure Klear is Future Floor Wax, just the UK branding of it.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Furret Basket posted:

Myopic, do you know the best place to get Johnson's Klear? it seems to be that Wilkos stock it, which is terrible because bullshit-awful-Manchester is THE ONLY CITY IN THE COUNTRY that does not have a Wilkinsons.

I think I got mine from Asda but it was so long ago I couldn't say for sure (wasn't joking when I said it'd last you a lifetime!). It's definitely listed on the website.

Devlan Mud posted:

Cool. Explains why it works :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Devlan Mud posted:

It is indeed

Furret Basket, the home cleaning aisles in Morrisons / Tesco / Sainsbury / et al should have it floating around somewhere.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby

The first orks painted for my army. Which was immediately started after buying AOBR.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Furret Basket posted:

The only sensible answer here is to move the gently caress out of Manchester.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Furret Basket posted:

Ignoring the lol-gogglies here's my first Tyranid.

I think googly eyes on Tyranids is the best thing ever. It makes me want to buy a box of gaunts just to do this.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want to see Googly-Eyed Trygon.

Broken Loose, you have three kits; make it happen.

e: oh god, does he even post in this thread? There's too much overlap for me to keep them straight. :ohdear:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I want to see Googly-Eyed Trygon.

Eventually. I have the box.

I don't know what game this is, and most of the minis are terrible, but I do love these greys.

They're adorable.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dpack_1 posted:

The only sensible answer here is to move the gently caress out of Manchester.

Word.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Furret Basket posted:

Cardiff is lacking too. I was in shock when I discovered what a backwards place I had moved too..

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Skarsnik posted:

Cardiff is lacking too. I was in shock when I discovered what a backwards place I had moved too..

But Cardiff has the Doctor Who Museum :3:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Well this wet palette helps a good bunch, I highly suggest you use one if you use GW paint cause that poo poo dries in under a minute

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

crime fighting hog posted:

Well this wet palette helps a good bunch, I highly suggest you use one if you use GW paint cause that poo poo dries in under a minute

I just keep adding water. v:shobon:v

anarchywrksbest
Sep 24, 2003
anarchy sucks
Let the Galaxy Burn! :D

Fresh from finishing my Imperial Fists, I've chosen Emperor's Children as my next obsession. Got a lot of noise marines to paint!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Those EC are bad rear end. What'd you do for the skin on Smiles, there?

anarchywrksbest
Sep 24, 2003
anarchy sucks

Aranan posted:

Those EC are bad rear end. What'd you do for the skin on Smiles, there?

His head?

Skull White
Tallarn Flesh
Bleached Bone
Ogryn Flesh wash

Always looks good from afar, but don't get too close. :p

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No seriously, gently caress white primer. I give up on that poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Does it make you feel better that I primed your genestealers today with armory white spray in 16 degree weather?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Does it make you feel better that I primed your genestealers today with armory white spray in 16 degree weather?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
someone commission PV to paint up some kroot

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

they look great, I just have to score some more ogryn flesh

I was thinking I would do them in a red similar to my dindrenzi ships...it looks pretty close to behemoth colors, depending on who paints them.

p3 skorne red, orange highlights, then a ogryn flesh wash which purples it up a bit

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I want you to do whatever you think looks best. I like letting professionals do their thing without too much interference.

Of course I say that, but actually it occurs to me, there's some nids holding terminator helmets. I'd *like* the helmets to be from Blood Angels but would that be too much red?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Honestly I want you to do whatever you think looks best. I like letting professionals do their thing without too much interference.

Of course I say that, but actually it occurs to me, there's some nids holding terminator helmets. I'd *like* the helmets to be from Blood Angels but would that be too much red?

Its up to you on the helmets. I personally think the salamanders colors contrast really beautifully with the red of the nids, but I can understand if you want them to be BA helmets, because your salamanders are coming to rescue those dumbass human being vampires

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Go with what you think looks best. I'll try to avoid being a complete manders fag. (Joke's on me, it's too late.)

In other news the hobby store I get my supplies from started carrying Tamiya military kits. I picked up a 1/35 scale WW2 German halftrack. Holy poo poo is this model fiddly and detailed, especially for $14. Gonna try to make it into a looted wagon or counts-as trukk.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tamiya kits are loving awesome, for historic kits they are actually not nearly as bad (in terms of insane parts count) as some other brands.

Like dragon. Never, ever purchase anything made by dragon.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Finally got my pot of Space Wolves Grey in the mail today. Now I can finish my Plague Monks. :3:

Also, uh, the actual mount for the icon on my Warlord's pole snapped off mid-pole. I krazy glued it back on, but is that going to keep? What else can I do to repair this break in my model?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
JB Weld.
2 part epoxy that is used to repair cracks in engine blocks. It's essentially liquid steel.
It's also loving great for putting together metal models. Once it sets, the two parts are essentially one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Didn't GW actually buy Dragon? I remember hearing about that once and then never heard anything about it again.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Making slow progress on my Trygon. I have only worked on it a single day this week. The main body is Bleached Bone with a liberal wash of Gryphonne Sepeia, followed up by thin layers of Bleached Bone and then a 50:50 mix of Bleached Bone and Menoth White Hilight.

Head is pretty much done except for the side jaw pieces. He had a little accident when I was taking him off of his handling stand and ended up chipping away the paint + primer on those two pincers. :( Working on the bone parts of the upper torso now.

Orange/yellow really doesn't show up well at all with my lighting setup. Everything shows up yellow/orangish because of my supbar setup and I think it loses a lot of detail in those colors when I go through color correction to get it looking neutral. Suffice to say the orange-yellow blend looks a lot better in person.

Here is a back shot. I originally had some piping type stuff jammed into the chimney stacks but I decided it looked horrible so I pried it out. I will attempt to greenstuff a replacement in there some day soon.

Unfortunately I'm at the spot where I am recognizing all of the mistakes and flaws in my paintjob and am tempted to strip and start over. I originally started painting this guy with the intention of entering him in a painting contest to be held the Sunday after the codex was released (only a single day to paint!) but that obviously didn't work out for me. Didn't stop me from staying up till 6am trying to make it work, and I think the painting suffered from the sleep deprived semi-rushed job.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

After I dropped my car off for its MOT yesterday I spent the next hour and a half browsing my local brilliant model store & talking with the owner. He's got a bit of a giant truck fetish (1/10, 1/12 scale) but he's a really nice guy. If he dropped the price of his GW stuff 10-15% he'd be golden, currently its retail price.

Anyway, he showed me this tank kit someone commissioned him to make.

A 1/6 Sturmtiger.

It has 166 sprues.

It has 5 parts to each track link.

It has a fully detailed engine & gearbox, meaning moving internals.

Retail? £865. gently caress knows how much he's charging to build it.

edit: just checked, that'll make the finished model over 1m long :psyduck:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 30, 2010

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I decided to take some more pictures of some of the stuff I've done recently. Some of it works.

First up is some D&D things I painted for the game I play in. It was my first re-entry into this mini painting thing in about 5 years, when I painted a hive tyrant and didn't manage anything else. I have apparently forgotten EVERYTHING about painting minis in that 5 years.

First batch of kobolds I painted. It's sloppy.

I got better with a little practice. This was my attempt at playing around with a mostly monochromatic scheme, remembering how awesome washes are and my first stab at playing with glaze medium.

Smug Kobold is :smug: as hell. He came out real nice. The cloak was an experiment after I read about 'dirty water'. Ultra thinned down black ink wash. Repeat many times. It produced a very interesting texture on the back of the cloak. There is some rudimetery lighting going on.

Painted this guy for one of the D&D players a few weeks ago. He came out average. I still have trouble building up blue to a lighter shade. I need to remember to work backwards, start with the lightest shade of blue that I want and add black/deeper blues to get down to the base color.

Genstealery Cultist I had laying around. Painting experiment for various things. Not entirely successful but I managed to reteach myself several things.

I was curious what a wraithbone color dark eldar would look like after hearing that the codex would be redone soon. I couldn't find any pictures on the web so I stripped down a sybarite and painted it up. Futile attempt at glowing eyes. I like it, it's better than GRIM AND SPIKEY AND SO MUCH ANGUISH.

Hey, what's in this box.

NO. Do not look in there! In there lies the shame of my past! OF ALL OF OUR PASTS! THE FORGOTTEN MODELS OF OUR PAST.

Deathwing more like CHUNKWING :smug:

Lookit that loving inquisitor librarian with his bionic leg. 2e had rules for bionic legs. And it's trimmed with gold because he's a mother loving pimp. A gimp pimp. And he teleported around with a power sword. :cool: (Seriously 2e heroes were pretty hilarious with the wargear and powers you could get.)

A power sword held in a power FIST! That's twice the power man! And he has blood on the power fist because he punched a dude or something. I was convertin' even with my first models. That's how pro I was at this hobby.

Check out that blood it's like his banner is BLEEDING MAN it's loving GRIMDARK as hell. Ignore that green on his cloak I'll just paint another layer of white over it. Or three layers. It'll go fine with the ten or so layers of unthinned paint on the model already. White, amirite?

"I thought you were playing Dark Angels, why is that guy blue?"
"Ravenwing! The book says they wear blue."
"Why isn't he in a Land Speeder or bike?"

I don't loving know. And I have no idea how I managed to get flock on his loving shoulder pad of all things. That's nowhere near the base!

But here's a land speeder.
(It is actually not too bad except for the layer of dust)

Oh look a Rhino.

These terminators were probably the 'best painted' things in my army. Why are they green instead of white? I DUNNO. Nothing in my DORK ANGELS army is consistent or correct!

Come to think of it I only played a single game with this army. It was against 2e Harlequins.

I didn't get a single kill.

Harlequin still haunt me to this day.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
The Saddest Robot: your newer minis are boss. Really nice. The minis of our past will always haunt us :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

WIP pics of my Tervigon, showing off my lovely greenstuff work. I've decided to go for a Malenthrope/Toxithrope look, but instead of toxin sacs they're egg-sacs for the hatching Termagants.

More detail needs to be added to his chest, and I'm obviously just starting to build up and smooth his tail. Also going to add more egg sacs underneath the raised plate on his back. I've left the large scything talons and head off to make it easier to paint.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I hope GW never releases a Tervigon kit cause these kitbash ones own so hard

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

A 1/6 Sturmtiger.

There's this weird scale modelling subculture who make 1/6 and 1/4 superdetailed tanks. Mostly nazi ones, unsurprisingly.

The most entertaining part is that a lot of them are RC and you can find youtube videos of them having :airquote:battles:airquote: or just driving around.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

The minis of our past will always haunt us :(

I was young once. I was evidently poo poo at modelling, painting and realising when something was a bad idea. On the plus side, at least it wasn't titmarines

Disco 70s cop marines ITT.

Stayin alive, stayin alive

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 31, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The gross underside egg sacs and tendrils are $$$$

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I love the little Termigant heads poking out. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

The Saddest Robot posted:

Lookit that loving inquisitor librarian with his bionic leg. 2e had rules for bionic legs. And it's trimmed with gold because he's a mother loving pimp. A gimp pimp. And he teleported around with a power sword. :cool: (Seriously 2e heroes were pretty hilarious with the wargear and powers you could get.)

Hell yeah, I have a 2E veteran sergeant with bionic arm somewhere that I painted when I was about 12. Might have to strip that and repaint for my Crimson Fists army :coal:

• Locked thread