Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Unfortunately I'm at the spot where I am recognizing all of the mistakes and flaws in my paintjob and am tempted to strip and start over.

Don't you dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tonight I finished off my first four Mentor-Scouts-count-as-IG-Vets. I'd post pictures for comments, but really, my plasma gunner sums the whole thing up best:

Oh well, I'm getting burned out on Warhammer poo poo anyway... I think outside of the odd special character, I'll try my hand at painting some Warmachine poo poo for a while.

After all, due to some Warstore lolly-gagging with my order, I ended up with twin Captain MorgansBroadside Barts -- So now I don't have to consider magnetizing a hat.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
The weather is really conspiring against me getting some spraying done :argh:.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
battle bitches, rolling through the desert

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
holy christ the boltgun casing

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Always awesome to see you post finished poo poo PV, but it's extra awesome this time.

:w00t: :slick: :snoop: :slick: :snoop: :w00t:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Came for the miniature painting, stayed for the emoticons

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Speaking as someone who has been painting nothing but assembly line sisters for nearly two months now,

ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkkk

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

you talented bastard

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That style casing would look awesome on some kind of Eldar weaponry I bet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If I had to paint an entire army at that standard I would shoot myself

those are his celstians though, hence the bling

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Okay I'm split between the classic black/gold for most cryx or this scheme

This looks like just a lighter green mixed with some gray. It looks good to me, should be easy to highlight and all that good stuff and I think it'll set my stuff apart from all the other Cryx stuff at the store. Whatchoo guys think

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm pretty sure that was a scheme featured in one of the issues of No Quarter. I'll dig through my magazines and see if I can find it.

[edit] No dice. Apparently I remembered wrong. :(

Aranan fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 31, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I like it, go for it as it would be nice to see something different. I remember in escalation there was a grey alternate Cygnar scheme which was pretty bitching.

That reminds me I have a PP plastic heavy warjack kit to magnetize.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Does anyone have experience with making their own decals?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Aranan posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a scheme featured in one of the issues of No Quarter. I'll dig through my magazines and see if I can find it.

[edit] No dice. Apparently I remembered wrong. :(

Yeah that's one of Todd Arrington's Cryx, which are featured in Escalation, not No Quarter. Also the best Cryx.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
tervigon WIP pics as requested,

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah that's one of Todd Arrington's Cryx, which are featured in Escalation, not No Quarter. Also the best Cryx.

Damnit, I knew I've seen it somewhere. Unfortunately, Escalation just has two pages of pictures of Mr. Arrington's Cryx. There are no painting recipies for his colors. Good luck with it. :)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I think Brushthralls has more pictures of them, as he's a contributor to it, but yeah pretty sure there's no guides to doing it.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone got some good tips for highlighting black?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

32 tech bases, ready to be boxed up & sent off to some lucky goon. If I make any more of these it'll be to cast, gently caress hand building squillions of unique bases again. :suicide:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Cakefool posted:

32 tech bases, ready to be boxed up & sent off to some lucky goon. If I make any more of these it'll be to cast, gently caress hand building squillions of unique bases again. :suicide:

THESE ARE AWESOME

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Cakefool posted:

did someone buy them or are you selling em?

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

chelsea clinton posted:

Anyone got some good tips for highlighting black?

I use P3's Coal Black. It's a bit bluish which comes out nicely when you mix a little white into it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What are the spider crab things?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What are the spider crab things?

I used em as hivetyrants, it's the older 3rd ed? hive tyrant with claws from the red terror, positioned to be like a scorpion, guns underslung.

instead of wings, i proxied them as burrowing back then

Im thinking what to use them as, maybe a tyrannofex? or a harpy that burrows instead of flies

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Taking a little time away from my oath to get the body of my Trygon ready for some more pointy bitz:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't know who's paint scheme to steal. All these Trygons are so beautiful.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That looks pretty!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

that rocks,

have you got tips for highlighting the tail bone, I can never seem to get it right, the curves etc

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Cakefool posted:

Those things look sweet as sugar, dude.
If you are interested in making casts of some new ones, let me know. I can give you a hand with that, if you need it.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Nearly finished WIP of a Vulkan conversion.

Less dynamic pose, but certainly more stoic.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 1, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PaintVagrant posted:

did someone buy them or are you selling em?

They were a commission for a goon in this very thread!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Those things look sweet as sugar, dude.
If you are interested in making casts of some new ones, let me know. I can give you a hand with that, if you need it.

Cool, whereabouts are you? I'll want to make 25, 40, 60mm versions, others if requested. I know PV would like some for Infinity, what base size is that?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

^^^^
USA. If that's not gonna work with the outrageous overseas shipping costs, we can work something else out. Just let me know what you're looking to do, and I'll see if I can help out on my end.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
PV how do you do your scratches and weathering in space marine armor?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Cakefool posted:

They were a commission for a goon in this very thread!

I am the goon ITT. You should all totally buy some bases from Cakefool, they're amazing and I can't wait to receive them!

Thank you Cakefool. :3:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PierreTheMime posted:

Taking a little time away from my oath to get the body of my Trygon ready for some more pointy bitz:

That is loving awesome.

Anyone got any suggestions / tutorials for sculpting armor plates like the ones on the tail of the Trygon? I want to spruce up my Tervigon's tail once the basic shape is finished.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
no-one commented on that vulkan conversion. its better han the current model!

also cakefool if you ever cast those bases i'd buy an army's worth off you

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Kharnifex posted:

have you got tips for highlighting the tail bone, I can never seem to get it right, the curves etc

Basecoat the whole thing, then go over the ridges with solid lines of color, incrementally increasing the brightness. The last two layers you can drybrush on as you don't want too much at that level and only the ridges on the area will pick up the paint. With the Trygon tail there are certain areas that are more raised than others, so I let those get more highlighting to give a better sense of size/distance.

Like so:

I'll probably post a few more detailed photos of the body when it gets sunnier here--I got excited and took the photo last night when all I had for light was a dim bulb and the "adjust brightness/contrast" tool. More detailed photos can show how the tail actually looks since a lot of coloring was bleached out.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

The Saddest Robot posted:

Unfortunately I'm at the spot where I am recognizing all of the mistakes and flaws in my paintjob and am tempted to strip and start over.

As has been said, don't. It looks fine and the carapace highlighting is really nice. Let it be for now and paint something else, you'll come back to it and realise it's fine. As well as that, I find that stripping something you've almost finished really does not help motivate you to paint it again. I stripped nearly finished Ultramarine tac, terminator and assault squads ~11 months ago to repaint them as Crimson Fists, took me until the Christmas break to get beyond the base coat, and still none of them are anywhere near finished.

All the Tervigon stuff people are doing is going great. Makes me really itch to start mine, but I promised myself I'd build the 40 or so termagants littering my desk first. Mass Effect 2 isn't helping with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Nearly finished WIP of a Vulkan conversion.

Less dynamic pose, but certainly more stoic.

Way better than the goofy GW pose

• Locked thread