Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sponge! posted:

If I had nearly 200 angry HP between my thighs I certainly would.

Or you could just do what racers do when the bike catches fire. Bail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sponge! posted:

If I had nearly 200 angry HP between my thighs I certainly would.

You don't? :quagmire:

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Crank goes kaboom!

Saying 'drat' for this failure does not properly convey the magnitude of failure. That's a 'drat' where every letter is pronounced. Like "dah-muh-nuh!"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Skyssx posted:

Saying 'drat' for this failure does not properly convey the magnitude of failure.

Pictures like this make me thank god the Mazda BP crank is made out of invincible.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
My great-grandfather's Case traction engine exploded in the 20's.

The exact circumstances of this accident aren't known, but it is said that no one was hurt.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
The thought of a boiler exploding terrifies the hell out of me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rocket_350 posted:

The exact circumstances of this accident aren't known, but it is said that no one was hurt.
That looks like a Mechanical Cthulu reach out from the ground

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Fire tube boilers seem like a total bitch to maintain, hundreds of joints running huge pressures and temperatures, one tiny little fault and you have a Cthulu.

Haddas
Sep 12, 2004

Cheap appendix removal!
I wonder which forum he posted those pictures in when that happened.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
There's a reason they aren't used for much anymore, and treated loving carefully where they are. With modern safety systems, metallurgy, and maintenance they're safe enough, but it's still cringe inducing for me.

Water tube boilers are still a bitch to construct and maintain, and anything involving superheated steam can be a real clusterfuck when it goes wrong. A modern water tube boiler, even without a superheater or reheat, usually ends up looking like something a savant four year old made after a week of work with a case of spaghetti noodles. I can't find any good pictures online, I'll try and scan something from one of my steam related textbooks.

Steam is invisible until it condenses, so a leak can get you an invisible jet of 900 degree flesh melting goodness, nevermind the caustic boiler water treatment chemicals. It's also possible, through a combination of fuckups and inattention, to suck a great deal of the fire in your auxiliary boiler out of it, which makes its surrounding space somewhat inhospitable. Thankfully I wasn't there for that episode, I heard it was a bit exciting.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

drzrma posted:

Water tube boilers are still a bitch to construct and maintain, and anything involving superheated steam can be a real clusterfuck when it goes wrong. A modern water tube boiler, even without a superheater or reheat, usually ends up looking like something a savant four year old made after a week of work with a case of spaghetti noodles. I can't find any good pictures online, I'll try and scan something from one of my steam related textbooks.

I've had to strip insulating blankets from a few steam headers inside a coal fire power plant. They look loving wicked!

I just wanted to add looking at a 30' (yes, foot) long steam header is like looking at the worlds longest equal length header.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 2, 2010

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946

Why won't Nissan give me a new engine? I only put on a few minor modifications and remapped the ECU and put a rod through the block. Those bastards!

quote:

can anyone share any experience with the engine? any thoughts what could have happened? is there is any other cases with broken cylinders blocks???? i cant believe that the AP software upgrade could have blow off the engine.. these engines should support more than 70hp of upgraded power IMO

im in love with the gtr but i HATE nissan

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946

Why won't Nissan give me a new engine? I only put on a few minor modifications and remapped the ECU and put a rod through the block. Those bastards!

The best part is him admitting to running the wrong octane setting (he got the AKI and RON confused since he has a USDM car).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nocheez posted:

The best part is him admitting to running the wrong octane setting (he got the AKI and RON confused since he has a USDM car).

That's possible but not readily apparent from the thread, as according to the AP website, there is no 97 AKI map, only a 97 RON.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either way, it's still :lol:. We're not talking about a GM dealership denying your warranty for a broken radio because you installed long-tube headers, we're talking about a car getting blacklisted because the owner threw a tune on it that added 70-100hp and blew the engine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Either way, it's still :lol:. We're not talking about a GM dealership denying your warranty for a broken radio because you installed long-tube headers, we're talking about a car getting blacklisted because the owner threw a tune on it that added 70-100hp and blew the engine.

Yeah, I have trouble sympathizing with the guy. Nissan may be stingy with the GT-R's warranty but when you hamfistedly modify your engine and split the block....yeah.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
55k for a new GTR motor? :lol::lol:

For that price you could buy a Z06, and two spare motors.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

blankooie posted:

PUSHRODS AND LEAFSPRINGS!

You jest good sir, nothing like that can be as fast as a GTR!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My favorite part of the thread is the guys wrangling over whether or not Nissan techs can detect a tune in the black box.

"Gee guys I heard it only stores 36 hours of data, I mean it's just a little box right?"

"Yeah just remove the tune, they can't prove you did anything."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

VikingSkull posted:

My favorite part of the thread is the guys wrangling over whether or not Nissan techs can detect a tune in the black box.

"Gee guys I heard it only stores 36 hours of data, I mean it's just a little box right?"

Or "put it into a microwave"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rocket_350 posted:

Wrong thread. This obviously goes in "Post Pictures of Awesome Mechanical Failures."

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

I like how one person says to open your doors and leave the ignition on for 36 hours, and another says "That is actually the most logical solution I've heard of". What the gently caress, how is that logical?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

blankooie posted:

which is good because you'll need the spares.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I like how one person says to open your doors and leave the ignition on for 36 hours, and another says "That is actually the most logical solution I've heard of". What the gently caress, how is that logical?

:clint: : If the battery dies them japs can't read poo poo!

:clint: : Whadda ya mean you've heard of the 36 hour glitch? You can see that my doors were open with the accessory on? Well goddamn.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Take one russian hydroelectric powerplant, badly maintain it for years then overrun a turbine trying to compensate for the ones that are inop and... tada.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
My god. Do you happen to have a link to more info about that?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

blambert posted:

Take one russian hydroelectric powerplant, badly maintain it for years then overrun a turbine trying to compensate for the ones that are inop and... tada.

Reminds me of Chernobyl. One reactor was working way too hard then ppffttt

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

Alereon posted:

Mhm, sorry should've put it there in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sayano-Shushenskaya_hydro_accident

Click here for the full 990x654 image.

blambert fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 2, 2010

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Alereon posted:

The wiki sums it up pretty well

efb by 5 seconds

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

blankooie posted:

Or a handful of LS9s. :unsmigghh:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

angryhampster posted:

Reminds me of Chernobyl. One reactor was working way too hard then ppffttt

Actually, it wasn't even connected to the grid at the time... :science:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

blambert posted:

How did I miss hearing about that? That's epic. There is a bunch of video of this as it happened on Youtube. The first one is a compilation of CCTV footage, it even shows a wall of water engulfing a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dp8Sdw5rY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cHMS_7oqvI&feature=related

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

blambert posted:

Mhm, sorry should've put it there in the first place.

Click here for the full 990x654 image.

This was totally the reference from TopGear when they spent the night in front of a dam in their cars in Romania! WOO! 2+2=4!

"Probably built by the Russians."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rocket_350 posted:

How did I miss hearing about that? That's epic. There is a bunch of video of this as it happened on Youtube. The first one is a compilation of CCTV footage, it even shows a wall of water engulfing a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dp8Sdw5rY&feature=related

I'm probably a terrible person, but I had "Yackety Sax" playing in my head with the gatekeeper and the guy thinking "The hydroelectric plant just exploded, but I don't want to scratch up MAH SUV by breaking through the gate."

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

blambert posted:

Looks like they tried to drill to the center of the Earth and miscalculated, coming up into the power plant. :black101:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

drzrma posted:

There's a reason they aren't used for much anymore, and treated loving carefully where they are. With modern safety systems, metallurgy, and maintenance they're safe enough, but it's still cringe inducing for me.

Steam is invisible until it condenses, so a leak can get you an invisible jet of 900 degree flesh melting goodness, nevermind the caustic boiler water treatment chemicals. It's also possible, through a combination of fuckups and inattention, to suck a great deal of the fire in your auxiliary boiler out of it, which makes its surrounding space somewhat inhospitable. Thankfully I wasn't there for that episode, I heard it was a bit exciting.

I actually have an old copy of PNE sitting on my desk, but I'm not going to risk having it fall apart to put it on the scanner.

Steam is genuinely terrifying. Thousands of psi, turbines spinning at tens of thousands of RPMs. Give me a nice 105 rpm diesel any day.

sandoz fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 2, 2010

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

sandoz posted:

Steam is genuinely terrifying. Thousands of psi, turbines spinning at tens of thousands of RPMs. Give me a nice 105 rpm diesel any day.

On one of the older steam-powered ships I work on, this summer they had an awesome failure in the steam plant. While they were in port, a night engineer hosed with a safety cutoff valve to the steam turbine generator, and it went from operating at near max of 4000RPM to around 20,000RPM in a matter of seconds, split the casing and went off like a bomb, sending chunks of metal throughout the (fortunately almost completely unoccupied) engine room.

They had to bring in a containerized generator just to be able to leave port while they could scour the planet for a drop-in replacement STG for the 30 year-old ship.

Beyond the harshness of working in 120F engine rooms, gently caress steam for reasons just like that.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

sandoz posted:

I actually have an old copy of PNE sitting on my desk, but I'm not going to risk having it fall apart to put it on the scanner.

Because doing maintenance when you could be drinking is so much fun.

Besides, you've still got turbochargers doing tens of thousands of rpm, with the added bonus that when they pop a lube oil line they've got a conveniently located red hot surface to spray on. Explosion doors are neat pieces of work too, thankfully I've never seen one actually called on to perform its intended function.

We're not going to get started on what happens when you give direct control of stuff to mates, I'll be amazed if that 2nd ever goes near the motor room or any high voltage stuff willingly again. I do hate that I've ended up with so few pictures of all this stuff, but between lack of camera due to environmental factors and the fact that not sinking is more important than having pictures it just doesn't work out.

Edit: Holy crap incredibull, that sounds fun. gently caress people that gently caress with stuff they don't know about, and gently caress them harder for doing it on stuff that's working.

Between some of the people I worked with, working conditions, and political/economic stuff, I'm glad I got out. My Dad was an engineer for a long time and the last couple years I think were the worst for him. The people are generally getting worse, the ships are getting worse, management is getting worse, OSHA/USCG/DHS stuff is exponentially worse. I know my parents where incredibly happy when I decided to change fields, and honestly being able to dial 911 for the fire department and just step outside is pretty nice.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2010

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Godholio posted:

Or a handful of LS9s. :unsmigghh:

Oh poo poo, LSX swap into the GT-R!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
drzrma, who did your dad sail with most of the time? I've heard terrible slave-driving stories of some lines, and some are smart and will give the engineers pretty much whatever they want. Either way, I wouldn't want to be an ME just to not have to deal with port engineers. There's very few that I get along with well. They're all very intense and have huge egos - I don't know what it's all about.