Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Quick question, did that top 10 list of books go that used to be stickied in this subforum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I'm looking for a light sci fi sort of book. Something that's fairly easy to read, not too long, and preferably part of a trilogy or short series. A fun Sci-Fi space adventure with well written characters and an engaging plot. Also, hopefully something that doesn't require prior knowledge of a franchise (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)

Also, hopefully something that I can pick up for less than 10 bucks on Amazon.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Ez posted:

I'm looking for a light sci fi sort of book. Something that's fairly easy to read, not too long, and preferably part of a trilogy or short series. A fun Sci-Fi space adventure with well written characters and an engaging plot. Also, hopefully something that doesn't require prior knowledge of a franchise (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding, about a small-time crook with a shambolic crew who gets framed up as part of a treasonous plot. Brilliant, highly readable, great fun. The sequel comes out soon and a third is being written, so get in early!

SaviourX posted:

Recommend me some good mystery/detective/thriller novels. Like any genre fiction, I know 90% of it is schlock, but there's got to be some good ones out there that make excellent use of the form.

Lawrence Block's Matthew Scudder novels, about an alcoholic PI. Read them in order to get the best from the character.
John Connolly's Charlie Parker novels starting with Every Dead Thing are spooky mysteries with a supernatiral twist, very readable.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm looking for interesting horror, probably something written in the last 10 years (I'm open to old stuff, but I've mostly read everything).

Suggestions should take in account I'm a seasoned horror reader, so avoid the usual suspects (Lovecraft, King, Barker, Machen, Leiber, Tessier, Joyce, Masterton, Howard, Bloch, etc).

Thanks!

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

northerain posted:

I'm looking for interesting horror, probably something written in the last 10 years (I'm open to old stuff, but I've mostly read everything).

Suggestions should take in account I'm a seasoned horror reader, so avoid the usual suspects (Lovecraft, King, Barker, Machen, Leiber, Tessier, Joyce, Masterton, Howard, Bloch, etc).

Thanks!

You didn't mention Dan Simmons, so if you haven't read him, you might check out Song of Kali and Summer of Night, to name a couple of pretty solid horror books by him.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Blurred posted:

Try Europe: A History by Norman Davies. At 1400 pages it's hardly a light read, but it's written in an engaging style and much of the detail that doesn't directly affect the narrative comes in independent boxes of text that you can skip (along with the first and last 300 pages) if you just want the broad outline of major political events from 500-1700, but it really is worth the time to read the whole thing.

For a more specific period, try The Civilization of Europe in the Renaissance.
By necessity, it covers the late 1400s to the late 1700s, but he paints a pretty good, readable picture of Europa at the time. Not sure how complete nationwise it is, but it has almost all the elements the poster asked for.

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

Being as specific as I think I was, I thought I'd have an army of readers chomping at the bit to tell me what books I should get. Unfortunately, other than CommunistMojo, no one's replied to my post. I ended up choosing Boneshaker as a gift for my gf and she loves it (so much so that I'd highly suggest it to anyone who thinks a post-apocalyptic/steampunk/zombie book sounds interesting). Anyone give me some more suggestions?

You have my word that, if you suggest a book she raves about and loves as much as some of her favorite works, I will buy you a beer :cheers:

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Harcourt posted:

Being as specific as I think I was, I thought I'd have an army of readers chomping at the bit to tell me what books I should get. Unfortunately, other than CommunistMojo, no one's replied to my post. I ended up choosing Boneshaker as a gift for my gf and she loves it (so much so that I'd highly suggest it to anyone who thinks a post-apocalyptic/steampunk/zombie book sounds interesting). Anyone give me some more suggestions?

You have my word that, if you suggest a book she raves about and loves as much as some of her favorite works, I will buy you a beer :cheers:

Maybe something by Charles de Lint? Should work out.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Ez posted:

Also, hopefully something that I can pick up for less than 10 bucks on Amazon.

Rendevouz with Rama by Author C. Clarke. Perfectly weighted, crafted sci-fi, dealing with the appearance of a massive, unmanned vessel of alien origin that suddenly appears in our solar system. The reaction of our species on both a macro and more personal, mico scale, is fascinating. It's that old-school sci-fi that's all about big ideas and scale. Avoid the sequels though - they're over-explained trash. Just sink into the beautiful hazy mystery of the first novel and leave it there.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Harcourt posted:

Anyone give me some more suggestions?

There's a few Vampire books you can't seem to go wrong with:
Dracula - Bram Stoker (maybe not?)
I Am Legend - Rishard Matheson
Let The Right One In - JA Lindqvist

It's really difficult to keep track of which requests have been answered and which haven't in this thread:smith:

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
I'm looking for a book on how our human DNA is polluted by gene fragments from other species (non-fiction obviously, not alien fanfiction). When the human genome project was concluded Nature had a special issue on how diseases, especially auto immune diseases, might originate from retrovirus and other microbial fragments in our DNA. Any good reads here?

Also zoomorphology and evolution in mammals, written as Stephen Jay Gould would - or maybe did?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
This popped in my head after a post I just wrote in CineD. This may be more of a CC question, but I'm going for it... Are there any books out there that teach aspiring storytellers how to work themes, motifs, and symbols into their stories? Not books on finding them in existing works—like How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster, which I loved but isn't what I'm looking for—but books on how to enrich one's own fiction with such things. I know it's really a fundamental part of writing, but in all the books on writing I've seen, I've never really seen anything that hit this idea hard.

hot pants
Nov 11, 2008
I was looking into reading don quixote and saw that there are several different translations of it. Is there translation that is more recommended then the others or are they all fairly accurate?

Regression
Nov 7, 2009

Blurred posted:

Try Europe: A History by Norman Davies. At 1400 pages it's hardly a light read, but it's written in an engaging style and much of the detail that doesn't directly affect the narrative comes in independent boxes of text that you can skip (along with the first and last 300 pages) if you just want the broad outline of major political events from 500-1700, but it really is worth the time to read the whole thing.

dokmo posted:

I want to second this. One of the great things in the book is its balanced approach to easter europe (I think the author is Polish), which goes to show how biased standard European histories are balanced towards the western states.

Thanks! I saw this recommendation a way back (in this thread, I think), and will check it out.

SaviourX posted:

For a more specific period, try The Civilization of Europe in the Renaissance.
By necessity, it covers the late 1400s to the late 1700s, but he paints a pretty good, readable picture of Europa at the time. Not sure how complete nationwise it is, but it has almost all the elements the poster asked for.
That one seems a bit culture-fixated for my tastes, though?

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
I'm trying to write a sci-fi/fantasy war epic about a World War II/Cold War style showdown between magical societies and scientific societies, from the perspective of a tiny hybrid nation caught between the competing blocs.

I know that science versus magic has been done before, but I want to explore in excruciating detail why wizards and scientists (and their subsequent societies) are hostile to each other, not just the what.

I've been doing some reading (The Dresden Files, Harry Potter, Hell's Gate, Flight of Dragons), but so far none of the books where magic and science come into conflict have ever really talked about the "why," other than "humans are dicks by nature".

What are the best books that cover magic/science conflicts? I'd like to read as many as I possibly can before I try creating something even close to "new" or "different".

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

hot pants posted:

I was looking into reading don quixote and saw that there are several different translations of it. Is there translation that is more recommended then the others or are they all fairly accurate?

John Rutherford's translation for Penguin Classics retains the wit and energy and humor beautifully, in my opinion. I'd recommend that one.

hot pants
Nov 11, 2008
cool, thanks! Penguin classics it is then!

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What are the best books that cover magic/science conflicts? I'd like to read as many as I possibly can before I try creating something even close to "new" or "different".

Try to find a short novel by Jack Vance titled "The Miracle Workers".

It is about a society in which a tradition of sympathetic magic is beginning to lose ground to the scientific method.

The story could almost be interpreted as a fantasy/sci-fi version of a Kuhnian "paradigm shift".

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

CloseFriend posted:

I know it's really a fundamental part of writing, but in all the books on writing I've seen, I've never really seen anything that hit this idea hard.

Yeah, try asking in CC; someone will have a pet book I'm sure.

quote:

That one seems a bit culture-fixated for my tastes, though?

Ah well, no harm no foul.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know of any fantasy written from a first-person point of view? I'm tinkering with a story myself, but the main character is an amnesiac, and that's just so much easier if it's first-person. But fantasy in first-person seems... wrong, somehow.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

freebooter posted:

Anyone know of any fantasy written from a first-person point of view? I'm tinkering with a story myself, but the main character is an amnesiac, and that's just so much easier if it's first-person. But fantasy in first-person seems... wrong, somehow.

Book of the New Sun, despite actually being good, is a fantasy series written in the first person. Wolfe has literary influences instead of the usual pulp ones, and it shows in the quality of his language.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

freebooter posted:

The Double Shadow by Clark Ashton Smith. Also much of Lovecraft's work.

Team Black Zion
Aug 26, 2006

Next time you play chess, be sure to replace your queens and knights with pawns!

freebooter posted:

A fantasy story with an amnesiac as the main character? I have never heard of such a thing before in my life...

You should read Latro in the Mist though, also by Gene Wolfe! The main character has anterograde memory loss, it's written in the first person, and it's the best memory loss protagonist novel I've ever read.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

The Wizard Knight (also by Wolfe!) is another first-person fantasy read. It's not his best stuff ever, but it's Wolfe, so it's not bad either.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I just finished reading God's Problem: How the Bible fails to answer our most important question-- why we suffer.
It really opened my eyes to what I've been calling faith and is really just not looking too closely at anything that might contradict that faith.
http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Problem-Answer-Important-Question-Why/dp/0061173924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265008150&sr=8-1
Besides Bart Ehrman's other books, can anyone rec any books in a similar vein?

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009
I looked around and this seems to be the best place to ask this question. I'm sure I'll be told otherwise though.

I'm just getting into the Dexter TV series, and I'm only halfway through the first season. Are the books the same exact stories as the series? I didn't want to look for the info myself out of fear for spoilers.

And are the books recommended either way?

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

hot pants posted:

It might be too late to chime in, but I really enjoyed the most recent translation by Edith Grossman. I thought she did a nice job of making the book extremely readable and enjoyable. I was bummed when it was over.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

I looked around and this seems to be the best place to ask this question. I'm sure I'll be told otherwise though.

I'm just getting into the Dexter TV series, and I'm only halfway through the first season. Are the books the same exact stories as the series? I didn't want to look for the info myself out of fear for spoilers.

And are the books recommended either way?

The first two books are decent but the show is better (and I fucken hate most all television so that means some poo poo coming from me), the first season is an expanded version of the first book but after that they go their separate ways. Haven't read the third book but I heard it's crap.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for contemporary detective stories? I just finished Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series and I'd like more stuff in that vein if possible.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
One of my favorite books growing up was The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and I'd love to find something similar but not geared at middle-schoolers. Basically the premise of the book is that a boy is stranded in the Canadian wilderness and has to survive with only a hatchet.

I saw earlier in the thread people were talking about non-fiction survival books but I'm more in the mood for some interesting fiction based around survival. Any ideas goons?

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Horn posted:

Survival in the wilderness books.

I'm pretty sure that was Jack London's thing--White Fang, Call of the Wild, The Sea-Wolf.

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

fadam posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for contemporary detective stories? I just finished Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro series and I'd like more stuff in that vein if possible.

Check out George Pelecanos and Joe R. Lansdale
Pelecanos' novels are usually located in in Washington DC, while Lansdale's are located in rural east Texas.

If you specifically want buddy detective teams Pelecanos' "Derek Strange and Terry Quinn" Series might fit the bill. And Joe R. Lansdale's "Hap and Leonard" series which I highly recommend. Both series features salt and pepper crime fighting buddy's.

a bear
Oct 25, 2004
a bear is strong
I'm looking for books that deal with 1990's culture. Either nonfiction or fiction. Or anything that would be really good for studying it. For fiction, maybe something along the lines of Generation X, but it doesn't necessarily have to deal with the slacker culture. Does anyone have any good books for someone who is really interested in the 90s?

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I just finished reading God's Problem: How the Bible fails to answer our most important question-- why we suffer.
It really opened my eyes to what I've been calling faith and is really just not looking too closely at anything that might contradict that faith.
http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Problem-Answer-Important-Question-Why/dp/0061173924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265008150&sr=8-1
Besides Bart Ehrman's other books, can anyone rec any books in a similar vein?

I couldn't tell exactly what it is you're looking for (something eye-opening but not contrary?), but perhaps John Shelby Spong is the kind of author you're after? He writes on a wide variety of topics within the Christian faith, so I'm sure there'd be something there to appeal to you.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'm looking for a fictional book about a guy in his 20's or 30's dealing with normal issues for a guy in his 20's or 30's. (Relationships problems, work, friends, etc.)

David Eddie's Chump Change is one example of this type of book...

Any ideas? It seems like there is a lot of books out there with this topic for women, but not many for men.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

a bear posted:

I'm looking for books that deal with 1990's culture. Either nonfiction or fiction. Or anything that would be really good for studying it. For fiction, maybe something along the lines of Generation X, but it doesn't necessarily have to deal with the slacker culture. Does anyone have any good books for someone who is really interested in the 90s?

Douglas Coupland would be a good start.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am looking for any light history book. I tend to prefer ones where they describe in detail the people involved, ie what type of person they were, why they made the decisions they did, etc. I am definitely going to check out the Europe book posted recently but thought there may be some others out there. Subject matter can be anything but I tend to like big events so I already have a general idea of what it is about and then gain new insight on the people involved and the lesser known events surrounding it. The last two books I read recently were Battle Cry for Freedom (Civil War) and Agincourt.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hand Row posted:

I am looking for any light history book. I tend to prefer ones where they describe in detail the people involved, ie what type of person they were, why they made the decisions they did, etc.

That is a pretty vague request. Three random selections from my library that fit that description.

Newton and the Counterfeiter by Thomas Levenson review here

Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel review here

If A Pirate I Must Be: The True Story Of Bartholomew Roberts, King Of The Caribbean by Richard Sanders review

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions, sorry I know it was vague but if I knew directly what I was interested in I simply would have done research on it and found some books on it. Basically I am looking for topics I wouldn't have considered before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I have everything from The Kite Runner to Vonnegut books to Tucker Max on my Kindle. I'm a huge fan of the Bill Bryson, David Sedaris, Jeremy Clarkson style of humorous travel anecdotes as well. Right now I'm in the middle of The Gamble and I have Too Big to Fail and Fiasco queued up. I'm leaving for Afghanistan in about a week for a year and I'd really like to add 5 or 6 more books before I head out. Any ideas?

edit

Horn posted:

One of my favorite books growing up was The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen and I'd love to find something similar but not geared at middle-schoolers. Basically the premise of the book is that a boy is stranded in the Canadian wilderness and has to survive with only a hatchet.

I saw earlier in the thread people were talking about non-fiction survival books but I'm more in the mood for some interesting fiction based around survival. Any ideas goons?

Crazy for the Storm is pretty good, it's non-fiction about a kid and a plane crash with a lot of flashbacks.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 9, 2010