Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

something i totally just realized for the first time and it makes the song that much better for me now:

the horn part at 3:20 in if and when we rise is a jazzed-up version of brahm's hungarian dance #5

i always knew i heard it somewhere before but could never pinpoint it. that's one of the main reasons why streetlight rules, they get their influences from so many non-traditional ska genres

I learned that from Taiko Drum Master of all sources. And they say video games rot your mind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sockser posted:

every parody song, every comic song, every modern polka song, every prank phone call, all tagged as Weird Al

I still have a cover of 867-5309 that I got off Limewire that says LTJ

It's not

it's like eve 6 or someshit

I used to have Less Than Jake playing I'm A Dude with Kel and it was awesome

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Oh Napster, will all its "Goldfinger" and, "Reel Big Fish" and "Mustard Plug" songs. Man those were the days.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dickeye posted:

I still have "We're All Dudes" and a demo song The Hippos never put on the posthumous final album.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Obama Yo Mama posted:

something i totally just realized for the first time and it makes the song that much better for me now:

the horn part at 3:20 in if and when we rise is a jazzed-up version of brahm's hungarian dance #5

i always knew i heard it somewhere before but could never pinpoint it. that's one of the main reasons why streetlight rules, they get their influences from so many non-traditional ska genres

It took me a few weeks to realize that the middle of On & On & On was Pachelbel's Canon.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Try and find any (ska) band that doesn't use the chords from Pachlebels Canon in at least one song. Once you know it, you see it everywhere. See also: Fedex arrow, blue and orange contrast

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
every song ever is basically canon

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

i've decided there needs to be a ska cover of van halen - jump, if anyone knows of a good one floating around in the ether please direct me to it asap.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 13, 2010

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Sockser posted:

Try and find any (ska) band that doesn't use the chords from Pachlebels Canon in at least one song. Once you know it, you see it everywhere. See also: Fedex arrow, blue and orange contrast
Orange is blue's compliment colour. Simple colour theory.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dnz posted:

Orange is blue's compliment colour. Simple colour theory.

Also, go SU gently caress yeah Orangemen

We pretend they never dropped the "-men"

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

Dickeye posted:

I still have a cover of 867-5309 that I got off Limewire that says LTJ

It's not

it's like eve 6 or someshit

LTJ has covered 867-5309 (Jenny) though. It's on the Losers, Kings... comp, and whichever EP it was originally one. I can't remember which one it was.

I too used to have a poo poo ton of songs accredited to LTJ that were very clearly not though.

StrikerObi fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 14, 2010

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the five iron frenzy dvd release date has been posted on the website, march 2nd :woop:

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

the five iron frenzy dvd release date has been posted on the website, march 2nd :woop:

Early birthday gift to me! :3:

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

ordered it two weeks ago :allears:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Specials have been announced for Coachella.
http://www.coachella.com/event/lineup

Here's hoping for a solo US tour.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People on Limewire also need to learn that RBF =/= Phish. I got a cover of Mmmbop that Phish did, because I was excited that RBF would do a cover of that song.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Is it the one that's them doing James Brown's version of Hanson's MMMM Bop?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So I don't really like their first album, Word Is Bond, but I'm enjoying the Johnstones' new(ish) album, Can't Be Trusted. A few sample tracks:

Down On Me
Bank Song
Can't Be Trusted

You almost have to be impressed by a band that's managed to earn itself a lifetime ban from Disney World.

Anything else good out lately? I'm jonesin' for new ska. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How do you pull that off?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I haven't listened to it myself but Royal City Riot has a new album out called Coast to Coast. My guitarist says it's awesome and they were great live when we played with them last week so just based on that I'll recommend it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

How do you pull that off?
Apparently it's Disney Land, not World, my mistake. Here's from a random site I googled up:

quote:

Hardy admits that trouble follows The Johnstones; for example, they recently garnered a lifetime ban from Disney Land in California. "Whether or not we instigate it, trouble just seems to follow us. We were touring in California and decided to stop at Disney World (sic) and things got a little out of hand. We were drinking a little bit and Rene [Gillezeau] pushed over things like a Mickey Mouse table and some garbage bins. There were soThe_Johnstonesme security guards chasing us and then somehow we got separated. Julian [Warme] and me were together and we thought we were okay, but then these security lights were beaming on us. They (the security) were bugging us later, saying you guys are from Canada, so you should be used to the cold. They also tried to turn us against each other by talking to us individually, but we held strong as a group. They took our Polaroids and said we were never allowed to come back. Disney World (sic) sucks anyways because it doesn't have many rollercoasters."
http://www.pressplus1.com/music/no-trust-issues-here-interview-with-the-johnstones.html

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

So I don't really like their first album, Word Is Bond, but I'm enjoying the Johnstones' new(ish) album, Can't Be Trusted. A few sample tracks:

Down On Me
Bank Song
Can't Be Trusted

You almost have to be impressed by a band that's managed to earn itself a lifetime ban from Disney World.

Anything else good out lately? I'm jonesin' for new ska. :(
I'm not enjoying that. I'm actually feeling embarrassed.

New ska generally doesn't come out during the winter, does it? It's generally associated with spring and summer. Back when I had eMusic this is usually the time when I'd scroll through their back catalog.

Mad Caddies just went into the studio last week to record their next album.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Apparently it's Disney Land, not World, my mistake. Here's from a random site I googled up:

http://www.pressplus1.com/music/no-trust-issues-here-interview-with-the-johnstones.html

Holy poo poo, I thought you could only be banned for not being happy

Goddamn son

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not enjoying that. I'm actually feeling embarrassed.

New ska generally doesn't come out during the winter, does it? It's generally associated with spring and summer. Back when I had eMusic this is usually the time when I'd scroll through their back catalog.

Mad Caddies just went into the studio last week to record their next album.

99SOR is SUPPOSEDLY coming out March...16? I think? according to someone at Victory but uh don't hold your breath?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Summer seems to be when everyone tours, so albums usually come out around then.

Smaller bands tend to stay at home in the winter, because they can't risk a weather related auto accident.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I haven't listened to it myself but Royal City Riot has a new album out called Coast to Coast. My guitarist says it's awesome and they were great live when we played with them last week so just based on that I'll recommend it.

i saw them with bedouin soundclash last june and they were awesome

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Specials have been announced for Coachella.
http://www.coachella.com/event/lineup

Here's hoping for a solo US tour.

They probably won't be doing a proper tour. They're playing New York five days later.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was hoping they do tour dates along the way, rather than fly from date to date.

You know, for all the young fans who never had or chance to see them or can't fly to England.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

interpunct posted:

They're playing New York five days later.

do WHAT now

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Obama Yo Mama posted:

do WHAT now

They're playing Terminal 5 on April 21st. Ticketmaster says they go on sale this week.

Strangely enough, the show was listed on the Bowery Presents website (even announced on their Twitter account), but it's not there anymore.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

holy poo poo, 6 days after my birthday, that'd be a hell of a present

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

http://www.thespecials.com/grapevine/?p=164

quote:

TUESDAY 13TH APRIL: APPEARANCE ON NBC`S LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON 12:35/11:35c

THURSDAY 15TH APRIL: CONCERT AT CLUB NOKIA LA CALIFORNIA

FRIDAY 16TH APRIL: PERFORMANCE AT COACHELLA FESTIVAL INDIO CALIFORNIA

MONDAY 19TH APRIL: CONCERT AT SOUND ACADEMY TORONTO ONTARIO CANADA

WEDNESDAY 21ST APRIL: TERMINAL 5 NEW YORK NY

The Specials officially announced some North American dates on their website with "further updates coming soon."

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Their dates had better be more than "East Coast, West Coast, Cheers."

It'd be a big disservice to their fans to finally have the reunion tour, and then play very few dates.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

As far as I know, the dates in April are part of a small little stint in the US. The band plans on doing a full-blown US tour later in the year.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Why couldn't that New York show be on a Sunday?

In other reunion news, Spring Heeled Jack is going to do a reunion show:
http://www.punknews.org/article/36857
Oddly enough, I asked myself what songs from broken up bands I'd most like to hear live, and "Jolene" is what first came to mind.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JR described their previous reunion show as "bittersweet" given the circumstances, but it is pretty cool that they're giving it another go.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Anyone else see the strange Streelight Manifesto new update that is just a period? Sup wit dat?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

aricoarena posted:

Anyone else see the strange Streelight Manifesto new update that is just a period? Sup wit dat?

Yeah, I saw that while I was at work and I was hoping it was an image or something that my work blocked. Nope, just a period.

Although this is floating around:

quote:

New Jersey's STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO will release their much anticipated album 99 Songs of Revolution on March 16, 2010 via Victory Records. The album will feature covers, see the tracklist below.

1. Hell - By: Squirrel Nut Zippers
2. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - By: Paul Simon
3. Linoleum - By: NoFX
4. Birds Fly Away - By: Mason Jennings
5. Such Great Heights - By: The Postal Service
6. Red Rubber Ball - By: Simon & Garfunkel (Originally recorded by the Cyrcle)
7. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen
8. Country House - Blur
9. Skyscraper - Bad Religion
10. Troubador - Louis Jordan
It was in the comments of a punknews story about Streetlight booking the two shows, and it's on some site called indiestar.tv. So, probably fake, but one can always hope.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

WaffleZombie posted:

Yeah, I saw that while I was at work and I was hoping it was an image or something that my work blocked. Nope, just a period.

It was in the comments of a punknews story about Streetlight booking the two shows, and it's on some site called indiestar.tv. So, probably fake, but one can always hope.

Skyscraper is an interesting choice, not particularly fond of it though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WaffleZombie posted:

Someone at skachilles emails someone at Victory periodically about the release date. Originally it was sometime in February but March 16 is the most recent date we've gotten for it. So it's got a 50/50 shot of actually being the release day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In other news I finally really listened to Scrambles because I bought it today, and goddamn this album owns.