Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
Well, I liked Mutineer better, to start. This seemed a lot more boring for long stretches, and :argh: "Nobles!" starts to wear out after a while.

And, as far as familiar characters making appearances, Benemunde again!? If I hadn't called it, then dismissed it 5 minutes earlier it wouldn't be so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

potatoboat posted:

Duelist 1-4

This has been a good week.
Indeed! That was an ok story, and of course just whets the appetite for the next Gaiden run!

From the looks of the old LOGH info centre, there are 6 Season 2 Gaiden stories left.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Probably one of my favourite series.

I've never watched any of the Gaiden episodes though, how does it compare?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

I'm gettin ready to watch them and I am approaching with the point of view that there is no way they can compare with the main series, but that they will hold super awesome info and drinking sprees with space bros yang wenli and dusty, space bros mittenmyer and reauyital (SP? wtf), and super space bros reinhard and kirchies.

There really should be a gaiden called "Alcohol is mankind's friend. How can I abandon a friend?" where it's 5 eps of all the cool characters hanging out in various space bars getting space drunk and getting into space brawls.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

DamnGlitch posted:

There really should be a gaiden called "Alcohol is mankind's friend. How can I abandon a friend?" where it's 5 eps of all the cool characters hanging out in various space bars getting space drunk and getting into space brawls.

Yes, this would rule on so many levels.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yes, this would rule on so many levels.

We came up with a drinking game while watching: It's got two parts.

Alcoholic version: Take a drink every time someone drinks on the show.

Narrator is a dick version: Every time the narrator goes "And then the real suffering was yet to come" or is a downer in general, drink until he stops.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Emperor posted:

They're good, you should watch them. Just know that they're "side stories" to the main plot, so not 100% critical to understanding the overall story.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Narrator is a dick version: Every time the narrator goes "And then the real suffering was yet to come" or is a downer in general, drink until he stops.

Seriously screw the narrator around episode 81,82 he was all YANG IS GOING TO DIE SOON and your all like :cry:

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

DamnGlitch posted:

We came up with a drinking game while watching: It's got two parts.

Alcoholic version: Take a drink every time someone drinks on the show.

There should be a special case where you finish your drink whenever someone breaks a wineglass on the show.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Seriously screw the narrator around episode 81,82 he was all YANG IS GOING TO DIE SOON and your all like :cry:
I never watch previews even on normal shows, and it goes double for this drat show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chris Knight posted:

I never watch previews even on normal shows, and it goes double for this drat show.

I don't think it was during previews, though, but the actual end of the episodes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think it was during previews, though, but the actual end of the episodes.

Yeah the narration was like "and that was the last time Julian ever saw Yang" or something like that.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I seem to recall that being more subtle than I remember the narrator being for Mittermeyer and Reuental having their last drink together before Reuental left Phezzan. That was straight up, 'never did this again' whereas Yang was obvious but never explicitly stated, as far as I remember.

Also, after I finished I was desperate to see if the narrator was in anything else since he was so awesome, and it turns out he died some time ago. Sad.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Yeah the narration was like "and that was the last time Julian ever saw Yang" or something like that.

NAUGHTY SPOILERS

The explicit Yang-death predictions start with...
Ep 78: "This became the last day that Julian Minci talked with Yang Wenli through the night."

...and from that point on, a number of hints are dropped up until...

Ep 82: "In this manner, Julian parted with Yang. How much would Julian have to agonize over it in later days?"

What's awesome is that they part after Yang teases Julian about whether he's going to hook up with Cazellnu or Schenkopp's daughter. No regrets is all I'm sayin - go out on a bro moment you crazy shining diamonds.

The first real Yang-death indicator in my mind is when Julian gets done investigating earth and the narrator mentions how much everyone would regret neither him nor Yang looking at the Terraism data right away, but it's not obvious that Terraism will lead to Yang's death at that point - just that they are going to be underestimated/discounted with some kind of unfortunate consequences.

Ep 69: "In retrospect, one more thing that could be characterized as careless was his [Yang's] delay in the examination of the data that Julian brought back from earth. Though it may have been understandable, considering that he [Yang] was facing a more immediate venture, the recapture of Iserlohn."

Boris Konev points out to Yang at some point how Julian should have taken the initiative to examine the data as well. I think that happens later, but I honestly forget. There may also be some :smug: narrator comments at the time that Julian is leaving earth with Wahlen about him screwing up by not looking at the data, but again, I forget.

Long story short, the narrator constantly gives away plot points throughout the series, including the, arguably, most important one Yang dying vs. Kircheis dying is arguable. There's way more 'If only Siegfriend Kircheis were still alive...' lines throughout the series, though maybe only because he's dead for a longer period of time. With that in mind, Kircheis surviving would have likely ended the show much sooner than Yang surviving. However, I think Yang's death hits the viewer harder than anything else. What really makes the series awesome is that the narrator spoilers take nothing away. While you absolutely understand that certain events are going to take place you are still floored by them, aghast at how they come about, and cry giant Wulf der Sturm man-tears when they happen.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gils posted:

I seem to recall that being more subtle than I remember the narrator being for Mittermeyer and Reuental having their last drink together before Reuental left Phezzan. That was straight up, 'never did this again' whereas Yang was obvious but never explicitly stated, as far as I remember.

Also, after I finished I was desperate to see if the narrator was in anything else since he was so awesome, and it turns out he died some time ago. Sad.

I love the narrator, and I think him not being there would take a lot from the series, but it is fun to "gently caress you narratorrrrrr!!!! :argh:" when he's a bastard. It's a part of the show but it's fun to blame everythingbad on what the narrator says.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. Or, worse so, many of the titles, which is why it's good they are revealed at the end, butttt.... I was so pissed when I was away from my computer and went to look for eps on youtube, and they were sorted by NAME and I was on like ep 45 and saw a future episode named "THE DEATH OF REAUENTAL" and I was like "FUCKKKKK"

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2010

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah. Or, worse so, many of the titles, which is why it's good they are revealed at the end, butttt.... I was so pissed when I was away from my computer and went to look for eps on youtube, and they were sorted by NAME and I was on like ep 45 and saw a future episode named "THE DEATH OF REAUENTAL" and I was like "FUCKKKKK"

That's not actually the name of the episode though, somebody had just called a clip that on youtube. The actual episodes have much more poetic titles, though they can be equally spoilerific, like (episode 82): The Magician Did Not Return

On the topic of Overture to a New War I have nothing but good things to say about it, and I think it makes a strong one-two punch to start the series along with My Conquest.... It does a great job of breaking up the constant battle that had previously started the series (and served as an imperfect introduction, since battle is not the focus of the show) and introduces a lot of important concepts at the same time. The decision to slow down and expand the events in the opening episodes was really smart and now feels like it was necessary. Important characters and concepts that were originally developed later are given better and more organic introductions, like Julian, Annerose and the nature of the relationship between Reinhard and Kircheis. I would definitely recommend starting the series with this, though it does assume knowledge of My Conquest, so there's no reason not to watch that first as a prologue.

sensual benny fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 31, 2010

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Finally finally finished this great series. Won't be long, I reckon, before I start the whole drat thing over again.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

However, I think Yang's death hits the viewer harder than anything else.
What really does it too, more than his death itself at the end of that episode, was the aftermath of his death in the next. Personally though I somehow found Reuental's death even harder hitting, that dude's life and death were straight up tragic. Finally, one thing that struck me as being fitting as it was frustrating was the complete lack of fanfare over Oberstein's death. That guy was a positively fascinating character.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
/\
/\

Love the avatar. I always loved how they hosed with Braunshweigs crew with him.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Grenadier posted:

What really does it too, more than his death itself at the end of that episode, was the aftermath of his death in the next. Personally though I somehow found Reuental's death even harder hitting, that dude's life and death were straight up tragic. Finally, one thing that struck me as being fitting as it was frustrating was the complete lack of fanfare over Oberstein's death. That guy was a positively fascinating character.

To agree with your first point - I think it's the depictions of the other characters who are left behind reacting to the deaths that really make the impact. Like you said, it's the ep after Yang's death when Julian and co. get back to Iserlohn when the real tear-jerking happens.

Reuental's death didn't hit me hard in the sense of being sad/mournful (I really only got this vibe from Mittermeyer, and he moved on to bittersweet pretty quick), more in the sense of being awesomely fitting. The whole rebellion plotline was pretty much a tribute to how awesome he was - better than Reinhard in many ways - and the fact that he dies the way he does pays homage to him as well. In my mind, Reuental and Schenkopp are tied for having the best deaths of the series, with Lutz and Bucock coming in at a tie for a close but definite third. I might be forgetting a glorious death somewhere in there, there are so many to choose from! Someone remind me if I am.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 3, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, Schenkopp has one of the worst deaths. I don't think a single death was more cliche than his.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

What, Schenkopp has one of the worst deaths. I don't think a single death was more cliche than his.

Getting stabbed in the back happens bro. I don't see how him scaring the gently caress out of dudes as he dies is "cliche". Name other deaths in the vein; a cliche means it's been done to death.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zorak posted:

Getting stabbed in the back happens bro. I don't see how him scaring the gently caress out of dudes as he dies is "cliche". Name other deaths in the vein; a cliche means it's been done to death.

I could have sworn he was killed by some newbie or something, or some guy who was almost dead but miraculously got back up, unnoticed by the seasoned veteran, to deal the killing blow. I wasn't saying his DEATH SPEECH was cliche, but the way he was dealt the blow seemed to me to be!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I could have sworn he was killed by some newbie or something, or some guy who was almost dead but miraculously got back up, unnoticed by the seasoned veteran, to deal the killing blow. I wasn't saying his DEATH SPEECH was cliche, but the way he was dealt the blow seemed to me to be!

Name examples, then. It's not an unrealistic death, poo poo happens. Injured guy isn't dead, manages to catch you off-guard, you're dead. A veteran isn't invulnerable.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Only thing I would consider cliche is how he just takes the axe and shrugs it off til he closes his eyes, but really, since that was kind of the whole point you'd get from his character, I can't complain. And can't agree enough that Oberstein's death didn't get enough spotlight. It was an interesting way to go.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In my mind, Reuental and Schenkopp are tied for having the best deaths of the series, with Lutz and Bucock coming in at a tie for a close but definite third. I might be forgetting a glorious death somewhere in there, there are so many to choose from! Someone remind me if I am.

What, are you kidding me? Bucock third? When I go out I hope I am that old and even one tenth that awesome.

Also why are we spoilering these, in true tragic operatic fashion nearly everybody dies by the end.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, Zorak pretty much beat me to this, but there's no way it's the most cliche death in the series. Here's some examples: Being offered honorable suicide and then wussing out/being forced to drink poison. Committing suicide to avoid capture/interrogation. Going down with the ship due to someone else's incompetance. Going down with the ship as a way to make amends for one's own incompetance. Getting puppetmastered by Rubinsky. Taking a shot meant for your friend. Crawling around on the floor with your guts hanging out and yelling for your mother. All of these are far more cliche even in the narrow context of just LOGH.

Lot's of people who watch LOGH like Schenkopp. However, I feel like he gets a bad rap as one of the shallower characters, so I'm going to white knight him a bit.

Schenkopp is a deceiving character. While at first he seems like a walking stereotype of badassery and machismo, there's a ton of stuff throughout the series hinting at more. There is a real tension between his stereotypical warrior/womanizer persona and his loyalty and feelings towards Yang and co. It's always interesting to see how and when he breaks from his "middle-aged-bad-boy" persona, as well as occasionally surprising to see how much of it really is him. You may be thinking "Hey a tough guy with a soft side. There's a stereotype for that too!" and I agree, but I don't agree that Schenkopp is that simple - or, if you do want to analyze him this way, that such an analysis is complete. The way his internal tension is dealt with in the series is anything but stereotypical

This objection about his death being cliche is exactly the deceptiveness I'm talking about. On the surface, his death is unflinchingly idiomatic - unstoppable warrior is finally stopped by the least likely person, then proceeds to defy his own mortality to the point that none dare approach him even in deathly repose. This is what I take your "cliche" complaint to be about. However, there's a lot more going on underneath. There's a really neat climax and resolution to the conflict within his character.

Schenkopp's persona is pushing to go after Reinhard instead of resorting to diplomacy, but Schenkopp himself knows Julian is serious about talks. In the face of this conflict, his loyalty to and feelings about Julian (and Yang) win. He basically admits that his persona is a fraud when he orders Julian to leave the Rosenritter-only party and go find the Kaiser, but he decides to keep up his image as best he can. The smirk Poplan levels at him speaks volumes.

When he's finally run out of opponents and is facing the imminent death of his persona (peace, family, grandchildren), he gets mortally wounded in an unlikely fashion instead. I'm pretty sure he was content with his decision to abandon his persona and was not actually seeking death, but when death presents itself he seizes upon the irony of the moment and chooses to go out exemplifying his persona. In the end, the conflict between the two sides is resolved - he got to give Julian (and Yang) the chance for peace and also managed to go out in a blaze of glory.

It's worth noting that the manner of his death is ironic not only because of the decision he had just made about his inner conflict, but also because of something that happens earlier in the series when the Rosenritter are capturing Lennenkanpt on Heinessen. Schenkopp spares a young, cowardly/frightened, incompetant soldier after disarming him and asking about his love life. Schenkopp is then killed by just such a soldier. It's as if his betrayal of his merciless warrior persona is coming back to haunt him.

Maybe you don't find any of this convincing. Perhaps you have another interpretation of what was going on right before his death. That's OK - I don't think "best death" is an objective category, at least not on an internet forum, and I can think of other ways to interpret things too. What I do think is that the very fact that there can be an interpretation like this, or debate about it, is evidence that Schenkopp is not the shallow character that some make him out to be.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

When I go out I hope I am that old and even one tenth that awesome.
I completely agree with this sentiment. However, I don't think Bucock's death has the same combination of complexity/nerdy literary payoff and awesomeness as the others I mentioned. I am willing to concede that, based on a standard of awesomeness alone, it is right up there with the others.

EDIT: Regarding spoilers: Yeah it's an old show, but lots of new watchers of this series turn up and breathe new life into this thread fairly frequently. My understanding is that being a little anal about spoilers is in recognition of this.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 3, 2010

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

To be fair, even if it seems cliche, this show is pretty old so at the time it would have been totally boss.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well I want to say I've seen that death cliche many a time, but I can't actually recall any specific examples. I guess it's like that "What does it do? It doesn't DO anything! That's the beauty of it!" quote that seems like it's been in more movies than it actually has.

Deaf Frat Guy
Oct 25, 2007

The potato gun is always the solution to any problem you have in life.
For anyone who loves LoGH and owns the game Sins of a Solar Empire, there's a beta of a LoGH mod. I'm literally reinstalling Sins right now just to play this, so I don't know how the gameplay is, but the trailer shows off some huge, chaotic fleet battles.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Deaf Frat Guy posted:

For anyone who loves LoGH and owns the game Sins of a Solar Empire, there's a beta of a LoGH mod. I'm literally reinstalling Sins right now just to play this, so I don't know how the gameplay is, but the trailer shows off some huge, chaotic fleet battles.

I still wish there was a group out there with the moxie to do a fan-translation patch for the official LoGH PC game. It looks appropriately abstract in terms of game mechanics (all about formations and maneuvers), but looks lovely.

That said, I'm reinstalling Sins tomorrow for this mod.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Deaf Frat Guy posted:

I remember back when I played sins that was in production but its in beta now sweet.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Is it bad that I bought Sins for the express purpose of using this mod? fun game before, now its going to be amazing. I just need time to play it now.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Never has there been a thread title so appropriate, this show is fantastic.

I put off watching it until now because I hate war drama political crap, and I'm still not sure why I decided to download the first batch, but I am simply amazed at the quality and complexity of the story and characters which is at the same time easily digestible and suitably paced. I'm only 20 episodes in and I can't wait to see the rest.

What is wrong with the world that this isn't more popular? What is wrong with Japan that so few things seem to approach a 20 year old series in overall quality?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Swilo posted:

What is wrong with the world that this isn't more popular? What is wrong with Japan that so few things seem to approach a 20 year old series in overall quality?

The fact that stupid stuff sells (and that applies to everywhere), and sweeping future-history sci-fi docudramas are few and far between.

But it is a goddamn fantastic show. Aged in animation, but I highly reccomend it to anyone with a love of large-scale sci-fi.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Swilo posted:

The first couple episodes were shown at an anime club I went to and everyone made fun of the animation, or lack thereof, and the numerous conversations. It was later only known as that weird German anime where everyone stood around talking.

Perhaps that helps answer your question.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

The first couple episodes were shown at an anime club I went to and everyone made fun of the animation, or lack thereof, and the numerous conversations. It was later only known as that weird German anime where everyone stood around talking.

Perhaps that helps answer your question.

So why do you spend your free time hanging out with philistines and retards?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hmm. I never looked at it that way. From now on I'll be sure to make everyone I might consider being friends with watch LoGH, and I shall summarily shun them if they have anything but a euphoric reaction.

After all, an individual has no possible merit if they don't see the genius of my favorite cartoon.

(I actually met the biggest LoGH/Gundam/Mecha fan I know in real life at that club... in fact the only LoGH fan I know in real life... making that club a very good place to meet people who liked LoGH, relatively speaking!)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eiba posted:

Hmm. I never looked at it that way. From now on I'll be sure to make everyone I might consider being friends with watch LoGH, and I shall summarily shun them if they have anything but a euphoric reaction.

After all, an individual has no possible merit if they don't see the genius of my favorite cartoon.

(I actually met the biggest LoGH/Gundam/Mecha fan I know in real life at that club... in fact the only LoGH fan I know in real life... making that club a very good place to meet people who liked LoGH, relatively speaking!)

you should have shown them this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

You sarcasm does not change that they are still wrong and stupid (your friend being the exception.)

I am spitting bold proclamations, but these proclamations be SOUND.