Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

FirstCongoWar posted:

PV how do you do your scratches and weathering in space marine armor?

Theres a couple ways to do it...if you want straight line scratches, just pant a darker mark on the armor, and add a small highlight under it.

If you want more of a paint chipped, heavily weathered look, use a sponge and sponge a darker color onto the edges, then highlight the bottom of the marks as described above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PaintVagrant, what brand static grass do you use? All the static grass I've ever seen and used has been way too short whereas yours seems to be quite cool for that 'clumpy lump of dead grass' look and has a bit of body to it.. lets us in on your secrets puuuuh-leeeeeaaaaaase :3:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
PaintVagrant, do I be as cool as you? :allears:

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arlaharen posted:

I use P3's Coal Black. It's a bit bluish which comes out nicely when you mix a little white into it.

Just mixing some white into the black you use is a good idea, yes. :v: Do you aim for dark grey or a medium grey? Are really thin lines the way to go?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

enri posted:

PaintVagrant, what brand static grass do you use? All the static grass I've ever seen and used has been way too short whereas yours seems to be quite cool for that 'clumpy lump of dead grass' look and has a bit of body to it.. lets us in on your secrets puuuuh-leeeeeaaaaaase :3:

GF9, which I think is just repackaged woodland scenics

Bobx66 posted:

PaintVagrant, do I be as cool as you? :allears:

you be as cool as me all day long, boss :slick:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That is loving awesome.

Anyone got any suggestions / tutorials for sculpting armor plates like the ones on the tail of the Trygon? I want to spruce up my Tervigon's tail once the basic shape is finished.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hydra/broodfive/tutorial/

Copy/paste into your browser.

In other news, Hydra finished his HQ tervigon.

MSP's right. These scratchbuilt and kitbashed monsters are way better than any GW could have released. Too bad they require so much work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's amazing, I gagged a little.

Furret Basket posted:

I am the goon ITT. You should all totally buy some bases from Cakefool, they're amazing and I can't wait to receive them!

Thank you Cakefool. :3:

You haven't received them/got buyers remorse yet :v:

Yeah, I'll look into casting a bunch, bases can be done with a simple 1 sided pour mould right? Onto google I go.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The ooze effect on the Gaunt really ties the whole model toget-:barf: JESUS gently caress

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

the "hand" reaching back with its fingertips sort of half into the birthing sac or whatever is loving awesome.

Very giger-esque, which is what I think all nids should strive for

e: minus all the vaginas that giger puts in everything

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Good god. That is now officially the BEST tervigon conversion I've ever seen. I don't think many will top that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Very giger-esque, which is what I think all nids should strive for

e: minus all the vaginas that giger puts in everything

Broken Loose posted:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
It's pretty awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the clown-makeup paintjob on all of the faces though. It's "awesome, awesome, awesome, awe---HEYKIDSWOULDYOULIKETOWATCHMEJUGGLEHAHAHAHA."

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

bhsman posted:

welp

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That thing is loving sickening. I love it.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
E: ignore me its just my internet being a oval office

tervigon is sweet as

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
That tervigon is sweet. However, I still agree with Broken Loose in saying that it doesn't particularly look heavily armored. One heavy bolter later and that back-womb would be rupturing all over th--:barf:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mycetic Spore time! Made from a Mega Bloks "Plasma Hatcher", painted mostly in one day.

Couldn't do much about that mold line around the top but I was going for speed more than anything else. It's a kids toy, it's not the most detailed thing in the world.

Still, it's amazing how perfect it is for a Mycetic Spore - the size, the detailing.. even the little critter that came with it looks like a Tyranid!

For reference, here's exactly what it used to look like (not my pic, but the store only had the purple ones, I was hoping for a green).

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 1, 2010

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Alright, I was going back and forth but now I'm convinced that those are great substitutions for very little work. I'll have to start checking toy stores.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I figured out why I try & convert almost every model I get my hands on.

It puts off the point when I have to start painting.

In other news, reposing marine legs is a complete bitch, but drum mags on bolters look bitchin'

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Cakefool posted:

In other news, reposing marine legs is a complete bitch, but drum mags on bolters look bitchin'

So you're like me, only I don't convert! :v:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Mycetic Spore time! Made from a Mega Bloks "Plasma Hatcher", painted mostly in one day.

Couldn't do much about that mold line around the top but I was going for speed more than anything else. It's a kids toy, it's not the most detailed thing in the world.

Still, it's amazing how perfect it is for a Mycetic Spore - the size, the detailing.. even the little critter that came with it looks like a Tyranid!

For reference, here's exactly what it used to look like (not my pic, but the store only had the purple ones, I was hoping for a green).

This makes me a little less upset about the new tyranid codex. Where are you guys finding these and for how much?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Cakefool posted:

You and me both, dude.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not sure how I feel about these little projects, but I was bored of painting sisters so I started in on some terrain bits to replace the crap I've got on my board right now.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Tons to do, tons to do.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bobx66 posted:

This makes me a little less upset about the new tyranid codex. Where are you guys finding these and for how much?

There's an amazon link in my post, but I found mine in the local Sainsburys (I'm in the UK btw)

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Fix posted:

Not sure how I feel about these little projects, but I was bored of painting sisters so I started in on some terrain bits to replace the crap I've got on my board right now.

If this is supposed to be a trench gouged by a crashing craft, then it should have a much less pronounced trench at the end where it first touched the ground, and huge build-up around the end where the big chunk came to rest. Maybe one of the smaller chunks could have been done stuck through one side of the trench or with its own forked mini-gouge. As it is, it all looks too perfect and even, like somebody has built some earthworks around some scrap.

Sorry, it's maybe a bit late for that feedback. I would have mentioned this when I saw the earlier WIP shot but it wasn't at all clear what was going on then.

The ruin looks like a good start, so does the tank.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

There's an amazon link in my post, but I found mine in the local Sainsburys (I'm in the UK btw)

Ya it looks like the US Amazon is all sold out. :( I will have to look around my local stores. I hope it isn't discontinued.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

You and me both, dude.

I've actually been scribbling plans for a spray-booth-ina-suitcase, with space for the compressor, extractor fan, built-in light, etc etc, rather than you know, painting my 5 dudes...

Master of prevarication, me.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shallow posted:

If this is supposed to be a trench gouged by a crashing craft, then it should have a much less pronounced trench at the end where it first touched the ground, and huge build-up around the end where the big chunk came to rest. Maybe one of the smaller chunks could have been done stuck through one side of the trench or with its own forked mini-gouge. As it is, it all looks too perfect and even, like somebody has built some earthworks around some scrap.

Sorry, it's maybe a bit late for that feedback. I would have mentioned this when I saw the earlier WIP shot but it wasn't at all clear what was going on then.

The ruin looks like a good start, so does the tank.

Yeah, I thought about the open mouth on the one end a little too late, and just crushing the wall down helped, but not much. It's probably not too, too late to do a little more buildup on the other end and up over the craft. The sides are pretty uniform, but that's more to create enough space inside that you can actually fit models, as I'm tired of playing on terrain that looks so good that all my elite soldiers get sleepy and have to lie down in it.

Meh. It's all practice.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I made a barrel today :downs:

I finally built a spray booth so i can use my airbrush indoors, first test was this barrel, also gave me a good chance to try out salt-masking.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

^^^ please post how-to on those. They look amazing.

Also I think she came out P good.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Dale-Taco posted:

I think she came out P good.

It did come out nicely. If you have one, put a wash over the cherub wings. If you don't have a wash, make a 90/10 mix of water and Chaos Black and wash over the wings to get darkened recesses on them.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ya def do like Pierre says. That model is baller until you get to those wings.

Aegoceros
Jan 28, 2010

Terror dwelling in the secret place of life, that which is without form taking to itself a form. Can it be that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing?
So, I've just received in the mail a totally awesome Lord of Pestilence from Ultraforge. He will be filling in as my Nurgle Daemon Prince, but here's the trick - for him to not die/be useful, he needs wings. An age and a half ago, I saw several really cool Nurgle princes with pus-filled rocket packs converted onto them for wings, but have since lost the links and, with them, just what was used for the barrels on the pack.

So, Sculpting/Modelgoons, I ask you for suggestions on 28mm or larger oil drum looking barrels. My Google-fu has failed me in this regards.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Aegoceros posted:

So, I've just received in the mail a totally awesome Lord of Pestilence from Ultraforge. He will be filling in as my Nurgle Daemon Prince, but here's the trick - for him to not die/be useful, he needs wings. An age and a half ago, I saw several really cool Nurgle princes with pus-filled rocket packs converted onto them for wings, but have since lost the links and, with them, just what was used for the barrels on the pack.

So, Sculpting/Modelgoons, I ask you for suggestions on 28mm or larger oil drum looking barrels. My Google-fu has failed me in this regards.

Toys. Look for action figures with scenery kits, toy cars, and several other things have that kind of stuff. Don't be afraid to look like a predator and head on down to Toys-R-Us and stroll on through.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Barrels

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Aegoceros posted:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The lack of a link in this post upsets me :colbert:

edit: so I was forced to use google, and found this... http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-Military-Miniatures-Plastic-Model-German-Fuel-Dr_W0QQitemZ200327123988QQcategoryZ16511QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_956

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Aegoceros posted:

Maybe not what you're looking for, but the Microart Conversion Lab has both feathered and mechnical wings.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Anyone know of any good tutorials for painting FoW US Tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anphrax posted:

The lack of a link in this post upsets me :colbert:

edit: so I was forced to use google, and found this... http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-Military-Miniatures-Plastic-Model-German-Fuel-Dr_W0QQitemZ200327123988QQcategoryZ16511QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_956

You can find a bunch of those Tamiya model accesories at just about any hobby store that sells model tanks. I'm always eying that kit (and a couple other) anytime I go to Hobbytown to buy more Boyz

• Locked thread