Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
So I'm putting this to a vote, I have some warmachine models. I can't decide whether to buy 2" foam, and stand them up; or buy 1 and 1/2" foam and lay them down. The latter saves space and fits more into a case, but the former causes less rubbing and thus I believe less paint loss over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

So I'm putting this to a vote, I have some warmachine models. I can't decide whether to buy 2" foam, and stand them up; or buy 1 and 1/2" foam and lay them down. The latter saves space and fits more into a case, but the former causes less rubbing and thus I believe less paint loss over time.

If you gloss and dullcote everything you won't have to worry about paint coming off unless you store your models in steel wool

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

If you gloss and dullcote everything you won't have to worry about paint coming off unless you store your models in steel wool

Was going to post this. Hell all my orks are just thrown in an empty battleforce box and they don't have a nick on them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
unfortunately, warmachine models arent the same as plastic orks...they are giant chunks of metal that will scratch the gently caress out of each other if they make contact

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Point, but if he's putting them in foam they shouldn't be rubbing each other.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, I think when it comes to metal models there are really 2 options, full foam that they stand/lay in without touching, or magnetize them and then pad between them.

I was just taking my WM models to gaming nights in a toolbox, magnetized to the bottom, no foam...the problem was if a model popped loose, it caused havoc with the rest of my poo poo

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I carry my Warmachine stuff in a small Army Transport bag, with 2" foam and the jacks standing up. I have 1.5" foam trays for the troops. It works out alright.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bistromatic posted:

I made a barrel today :downs:

I finally built a spray booth so i can use my airbrush indoors, first test was this barrel, also gave me a good chance to try out salt-masking.

seconding the request for a tutorial of these.

Also Airbrush Goons. Do you have any fancy airbrush gubbins as part of your set up? Specifically a filter or dryer that is fitted in the line between your compressor and your airbrush? I have seen both of these at my local hardware store but as they are mostly geared for 'industrial' use I don't know if any of their stuff is needed or wanted for airbrushing.

I've got the compressor and an airbrush, now I just need the time and nerve to get on with using it.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Is this just eye shadow???

I like the "special applicator tool" ha ha I've got tons of them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Indolent Bastard posted:

Also Airbrush Goons. Do you have any fancy airbrush gubbins as part of your set up? Specifically a filter or dryer that is fitted in the line between your compressor and your airbrush? I have seen both of these at my local hardware store but as they are mostly geared for 'industrial' use I don't know if any of their stuff is needed or wanted for airbrushing.

I've got the compressor and an airbrush, now I just need the time and nerve to get on with using it.

I'll probably do a few more barrels tomorrow, i'll try to take some pics then.

The fanciest part of my setup is probably the bigass industrial compressor i got from my father, for all i know it's about 50 years old now and it still runs without a hitch, don't know if it has any filters or driers but i wouldn't rule it out v:shobon:v. Also i can see using some moisture reducing gimmick when you're using laquer paints but with acrylics what's the point? They're full of water anyway.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Indolent Bastard posted:

Lack of a moisture filter is the one thing that's stopped me from starting up my airbrushing. Once a bit of condensation builds up in the tank, the extra water can start to throw a wrench in your quality.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
So, I should go with the 1.5" foam?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
PV, what's a good mix/colour for highlighting Sick Blue (Vallejo's answer to the old Hideous Blue)? I've been mixing with Bleached Bone which is giving nice, subdued progression, but it doesn't pop and I can already tell it won't photograph well.

Edit: This is for genestealer carapace.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

As you get closer to the final highlight, get a cooler color into the mix, like skull white or astro/ghostly grey

Bleached bone works awesome as a transition/blend color, but its not quite sharp/light enough to work as the final highligh without some white being mixed in...at least in my experience. Keep the edge highlight really small and make sure its a fairly big jump in value from the last one

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Furret Basket posted:

Is this just eye shadow???

I like the "special applicator tool" ha ha I've got tons of them.

It's a slightly different consistency to eyeshadow, but yeah. My girlfriend suggested it was like makeup, but for tanks.

On the packaging, it actually says that it's not a cosmetic product :v:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Thanks for the tips, guys. I suppose I'll be checking out my local hobbystore very shortly - I needed to go down there for trees anyway. :)

Edit: Pants. This is what I get for sharing a computer with my roommate.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

PierreTheMime posted:

It did come out nicely. If you have one, put a wash over the cherub wings. If you don't have a wash, make a 90/10 mix of water and Chaos Black and wash over the wings to get darkened recesses on them.

Use a watered-down light blue actually, since the wings aren't comprised of hard plates like stormtrooper armor, there comprised of feathered wings which are cute and fuzzy and cherubic. :3:

Aegoceros
Jan 28, 2010

Terror dwelling in the secret place of life, that which is without form taking to itself a form. Can it be that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing?
Alright guys, after an expensive (somewhat) trip to my hobby supply shop, I got both the pictured Tamiya Kit and another kit called Jerry Cans. Two dented up oil drums from the latter kit are now pinned to the back of my daemon prince, and when I find my camera cord I'll post some WiP pics. Nice little kits, very good prices!

Also, I may or may not have picked up the woodland scenics big rear end box o' forest, because it was only 20 bucks for more forest trees that I will ever need. Now just have to make some hills for them to get planted in.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ok if you guys aren't reading GW's daily blog thing, you should because they post some pretty ownage stuff every day.

Case in point:

There's more close ups of stuff in the blog, located here.

Now I've got the urge again to do tactical arrows on my Rhinos. I need to just buckle down and do it, should be pretty easy if I mask them off and use the airbrush.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fyrbrand posted:

Ok if you guys aren't reading GW's daily blog thing, you should because they post some pretty ownage stuff every day.

Case in point:

There's more close ups of stuff in the blog, located here.

Now I've got the urge again to do tactical arrows on my Rhinos. I need to just buckle down and do it, should be pretty easy if I mask them off and use the airbrush.

I can agree with that, but look at how stupid this looks:

Oh wow, that's cool man! Check out that sweet rear end wear and tear! Oh man that's... wtf? Why is the fist PERFECT?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Not to mention a very noticeable moldline on one of the metal sternguard :ohdear:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Anphrax posted:

Oh wow, that's cool man! Check out that sweet rear end wear and tear! Oh man that's... wtf? Why is the fist PERFECT?

I like the weathering on the corners, but the mud just looks like brushstrokes. He would have been better to sponge it on.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I like the weathering on the corners, but the mud just looks like brushstrokes. He would have been better to sponge it on.

I was thinking the same. or just use horizontal strokes so at least it looks like the mud was wiped on by long grass / reeds etc. using vertical strokes looks like... well... looks like a model that's been painted.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I dunno, it just looks like it's been speed-painted to a standard that looks great on the tabletop but falters when you look at closeups. Works for me - I'm sure studio painters don't spend hours on every mini in their armies.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chenghiz posted:

I dunno, it just looks like it's been speed-painted to a standard that looks great on the tabletop but falters when you look at closeups. Works for me - I'm sure studio painters don't spend hours on every mini in their armies.

Yeah that's what the dude seemed to be going for here. It looks fantastic from the tabletop, which is why I posted the full army pic. (Also I have a hardon for well-painted IF armies.) I think it's intended to be the guy's personal army rather than a studio army so he's maybe not as obsessive over it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Oh my, i completely forgot that i was supposed to take pictures today.
I enough stuff left so there'll be be chances to do that.

In the meantime i'll refer you to these:
http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/tips-techniques/
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31535
both contain info about salt masking,the latter starting at page three

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anphrax posted:

maybe Imperial Fists are really proud of their heraldry but don't have time to clean much else while on a campaign?

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
I finished some of my 15mm british soldiers, even went as far as to base them for once...they're based on 1p pieces and the sniper lying down is on a 2p. These were fun to paint and I have 11 more to do :) I'll post the full force in the historical thread once its done!

I don't have a fancy schmancy light box so a desk lamp is the best I could do, plus some photo shopping.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Anphrax posted:

The yellow is sweet as hell but the weathering/transfer looks like rear end

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anphrax posted:

I'm :spergin: so hard over here about how off-centre the door transfer is.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cakefool posted:

I'm :spergin: so hard over here about how off-centre the door transfer is.

I don't disagree. Considering the amount of time and directed effort it takes to place a transfer without any bubbling or problems, it's as if the guy wanted it off-center. I have no idea why and I have decided to avoid thinking about it very much like trying to wrap my mind around the vastness of space or non-Euclidean geometry.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 4, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That imp fist army is a pretty nice TT standard, clean/misaligned decals dont really change that

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Why does every Imperial Fists army seem like the guy ran out of Iyanden Darksun halfway through and started layering regular yellows

I have a friend who airbrushed his entire space marine army with Iyanden so that he'd have a uniform yellow shade. Then the new codex came out, and he painted some sternguard and they look like they're from the banana world or something

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

frest posted:

Why does every Imperial Fists army seem like the guy ran out of Iyanden Darksun halfway through and started layering regular yellows

I have a friend who airbrushed his entire space marine army with Iyanden so that he'd have a uniform yellow shade. Then the new codex came out, and he painted some sternguard and they look like they're from the banana world or something

They hail from Villengard. Bananas are good.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The artist specifically chose to do slightly different shades of yellow to look more realistic. I guess that could make sense, if you figure weathered armor will slowly get lighter or whatever. Or he could be justifying his laziness, I dunno.

Either way it's a pretty ownage TT level army.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PaintVagrant posted:

That imp fist army is a pretty nice TT standard, clean/misaligned decals dont really change that

I can point fingers & poke fun all I want, having 2 of the 9 3rds of my armies painted doesn't change that mister :colbert:

Yeah, I'll be happy if I can make 1 army look that good.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

The artist specifically chose to do slightly different shades of yellow to look more realistic. I guess that could make sense, if you figure weathered armor will slowly get lighter or whatever. Or he could be justifying his laziness, I dunno.

Either way it's a pretty ownage TT level army.

Yeah, the only flaws are the mold lines and the decals need some dirtying up. Everything else is pretty boss and I would be proud if I had an army like that I could bust out in games.

Aegoceros
Jan 28, 2010

Terror dwelling in the secret place of life, that which is without form taking to itself a form. Can it be that the very sunlight does not turn to blackness before this thing?
Whelp, going over my first test mini for my February Oath, to see how I like Gnarls green as a basecoat under delicious plague marine-y drybrushing, and I'm finding myself thinking thoughts.

Like how easy on the eyes boltgun metal + drybrush tin bitz + brown ink wash looks for corrosion, with maybe a dab or two of gold as a highlight.

Like how awesome a set of corroded armor plague marines would look, especially with gnarls green shoulder pads ala rusted out pre-heresy Death Guard.

Like how not-like every other green plague marine army it would be.

Any thoughts? Rusted metal power armor armies, have you seen them? Do they look like pants?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

The yellow is sweet as hell but the weathering/transfer looks like rear end

I agree on the transfer, but the rough paint style reminds me of the sketchy Okami/Yoshi's Island aesthetic, and I can dig that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Wrong thread, derp.

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 5, 2010

• Locked thread