Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKS
Jan 31, 2005

simcole posted:

I loved my 9.99 special no frills mechanical, but she keeps complaining about it.

A $9.99 mechanical keyboard? where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
Get a dell keyboard:

They're cheap and durable, no macros..sorry.

e: oh wait...you don't want that, sorry.

fishbacon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 2, 2010

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Can we discuss pointers/mice in this thread or is there a separate mouse thread?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was a mouse thread a while back. That'd probably be a better place to start as there was quite a bit of good discussion.

Tada, here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

simcole posted:

Thanks for that. I edited my post to say preferably non-wave but the wife wants a wave design. We'll look at our options and decide. I loved my 9.99 special no frills mechanical, but she keeps complaining about it.

Although I've just got myself a Filco, I still have 2 of those keyboards lying about, 1 at work and 1 at home. They are very comfortable to use, and the curve is really easy to adapt to and you might just learn to like it. For the cost of it, it's worth a punt.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
For the ergo folk, which is a better everyday office semi-ergo keyboard:

The Microsoft Curve:

...or the Logitech Wave?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've used the Curve quite a bit at my office and really like it. I've tried many keyboards and it still holds up as one of my favorites. The Logitech board seemed really, really mushy when I tried it out in the store, but that was a 30 second test.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009

Twiin posted:

The Microsoft Curve:

...or the Logitech Wave?

I have only ever used a Curve (didn't like it) but from those two shots they look like nearly the same board..

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Twiin posted:

The Microsoft Curve:

...or the Logitech Wave?

I have the curve and my roommate has the wave. The wave is way better. Like leagues above the curve. The curve is pretty good, but mostly because it's cheap. The wave feels better, but really shines with the rubberized wrist area which is extremely comfortable.

The curve is kinda wonky and definitely feels cheaper, but it is a drat nice price.

Edit: The wave is just a little bit mushier, but is still clicky. It has noticeably more cube-ish keys. The curve might mess you up because of the weirdly shaped G, H, B and N keys, although it doesn't bother me.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 2, 2010

Nadesico
Jun 15, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had, loved, and used the wave for almost eight months until the palm area of my left hand started hurting from the uneven lifted palm rest they built into the keyboard. I did a lot of WASD gaming on it so that was a key factor in bringing on the pain. It's to the point now I cannot even use the keyboard so I switched to a Logitech Dinovo which has an even palm rest. The pain is now gone, but I miss the key feel of the Wave.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Mike the TV posted:

I have the curve and my roommate has the wave. The wave is way better. Like leagues above the curve. The curve is pretty good, but mostly because it's cheap. The wave feels better, but really shines with the rubberized wrist area which is extremely comfortable.
I haven't used the Wave myself, but that seems to be con the consensus on a few boards I've seen.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Just ordered a tenkeyless filco with cherry browns. Anxiously awaiting arrival.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After getting my tenkeyless filco with cherry browns last week, I went nuts and ordered a second, this time with blues. This wound up being a very expensive thread for me to read. On the up side, the new keyboard does actually seem to help my RSI.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

powderific posted:

After getting my tenkeyless filco with cherry browns last week, I went nuts and ordered a second, this time with blues. This wound up being a very expensive thread for me to read. On the up side, the new keyboard does actually seem to help my RSI.

Told you!

And yeah, pricey but worth it.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

powderific posted:

What's the difference. Does the click make them harder or easier to press? I might end up doing the same thing :O

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Randuin posted:

What's the difference. Does the click make them harder or easier to press? I might end up doing the same thing :O

The main difference is you don't have to hammer the key against the bottom and squash a rubber membrane in order to get them to activate. It activates before you hit the bottom. That extra effort at the end is more taxing than you might think.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Randuin posted:

EDIT: Just realized that you meant the difference between browns and blues! The blues are actually a little harder to press, but are otherwise very similar to the browns. Some people think that the audible click gives you a better idea of when the key activates, but I think it's mostly just a fun sound. I'll post my experiences as soon as I get the second one.

The difference is twofold for me: first, the keys are very easy to press, some of the lightest keypresses I've encountered; second, and probably most important, because the keys are designed to actuate halfway through their travel, you don't press the keys till they bottom out. The click or tactile bump gives you a cue for when you can let up on it. As you get used to it you wind up not just pressing the keys much more softly, but also avoiding the shock of hitting the bottom of the keyboard. That change in typing style is huge. The tenkey-less have a little bit of an extra advantage because you don't have to move your hand as far for the mouse.

I still get a bit of RSI pain depending on the day, but it does seem to help. And I just really enjoy typing on them. They feel pretty different from normal keyboards. I've actually been carrying mine to and from work with me, which is a level of nerdiness I'd never imagined.

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 3, 2010

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

powderific posted:

The difference is twofold for me: first, the keys are very easy to press, some of the lightest keypresses I've encountered; second, and probably most important, because the keys are designed to actuate halfway through their travel, you don't press the keys till they bottom out. The click or tactile bump gives you a cue for when you can let up on it. As you get used to it you wind up not just pressing the keys much more softly, but also avoiding the shock of hitting the bottom of the keyboard. That change in typing style is huge. The tenkey-less have a little bit of an extra advantage because you don't have to move your hand as far for the mouse.

I still get a bit of RSI pain depending on the day, but it does seem to help. And I just really enjoy typing on them. They feel pretty different from normal keyboards. I've actually been carrying mine to and from work with me, which is a level of nerdiness I'd never imagined.

I hate to throw fuel on the money wasting fire... but I think cherry brown -> Topre variable weight was a bigger upgrade in wrist comfort than membrane -> cherry brown.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

headcase posted:

The main difference is you don't have to hammer the key against the bottom and squash a rubber membrane in order to get them to activate. It activates before you hit the bottom. That extra effort at the end is more taxing than you might think.

You don't have to hammer the Cherry Browns to get them to activate--their activation point is at like 1/3rd of the total travel. They just don't have a click like the Blues

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

TheQat posted:

You don't have to hammer the Cherry Browns to get them to activate--their activation point is at like 1/3rd of the total travel. They just don't have a click like the Blues

Isn't that exactly what I said?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

headcase posted:

Isn't that exactly what I said?

No, you said that the difference between the blues and the browns is that you don't have to hammer the key against the bottom and squash a rubber membrane in order to get them to activate.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh snap, I just realized that Raduin was talking about the difference between browns and blues and had already ordered a board with browns. I was talking about the difference between mechanical and membrane, and I think headcase thought the same thing. The difference between brown and blue is very subtle other than the audible click, from what I understand.

As for the Torpes, I want to pick one up some day, but I won't be able to justify the expense for a while. I especially love the happy hacking style topre's, btu then you don't get the variable key weights.

powderific fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 3, 2010

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Twiin posted:

No, you said that the difference between the blues and the browns is that you don't have to hammer the key against the bottom and squash a rubber membrane in order to get them to activate.

Ah, my bad. I thought he was talking about his eagerly awaited delivery of the cherry brown. I totally misread his post.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Haha, sorry for the confusion there. But anyway, are the topres that amazing? The money is less of an issue for me, but the lack of certain keys (Especially arrows) may be a deal sealer.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Randuin posted:

Haha, sorry for the confusion there. But anyway, are the topres that amazing? The money is less of an issue for me, but the lack of certain keys (Especially arrows) may be a deal sealer.

Some of us think so. But it's a lot to spend sight unseen.

If you don't mind the cost, the Realforce Topres are the most like a normal keyboard layout. The HHKB is cool as hell, but I'll be the first to admit it's not for everyone.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Randuin posted:

Topre Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Jesus. Just got my Filco Majestouch with the Cherry Browns, and man, I never thought that keyboards could have this kind of build quality. I'm sure my roommates are going to kill me—this thing's a little bit noisier than my last keyboard—but goddamn is it worth it. I don't think I'll ever be able to type on anything else. Plus it has a red ESC key :swoon:

Edit: pics!

illamint fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 3, 2010

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Are the LEDs as bright as the sun like they look on their website?

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Mike the TV posted:

Are the LEDs as bright as the sun like they look on their website?
Yes. Luckily I'm on a Mac so I don't have NUM LOCK on all the time, because I think if I did I'd have to tape over it or something. I just looked right into the CAPS LOCK LED and I'm now slightly blind.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I put a spare USB flash drive over my LEDs. Sort of mars the beauty of the keyboard but oh well. The LEDs are really distracting out of the corner of your eye.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Fedex just dropped off the filco. I'm absolutely in love. I've tried the cherry blacks on a Steelseries 7G and this just blows it out of the water in terms of my preference. I can't tell if I would like the click from the blue better but I definitely prefer the lighter force required to depress the keys. Everything just feels like they are of a better build quality.

Zero regrets here.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

It's really heartwarming to see all these testimonials from people I assume used to be membrane users crossing over. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the HHKB yet, kind of hoping the change from cherry blue > topre is just as eye-opening.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009

TheQat posted:

I put a spare USB flash drive over my LEDs. Sort of mars the beauty of the keyboard but oh well. The LEDs are really distracting out of the corner of your eye.

Wouldn't two layers of black electrical tape cover it right up?

Love the filco design by the way, really wish I could get one but I am both short for cash and can't seem to find a version with Nordic keys (åøæ that poo poo)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Oh crap, I want a Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry Browns. Blue LEDs are brighter than any other color LED. CapsLock will light up my entire computer room.

Eh, electrical tape should fix it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Has anybody opened one up to see how easy it would be to either add a resistor or outright replace the LEDs? Should be trivial if they're not surface mount.

edit: Yep :coolfish:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 4, 2010

stuart
Jan 6, 2002

So when I'm in your cartoon, you'd better watch out duck

Coz Bugs Bunny is crazy as fuck

Twiin posted:

The Microsoft Curve:

...or the Logitech Wave?

A little funkier than those, but I really like my MS Natural Ergonomic 4000. Maybe you already looked into it though. It's only $23.49 for the OEM version. It didn't take long to get accustomed. I wasn't so sure about the attachable riser at first but it turned out to be pretty comfortable compared to having it flat.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have that keyboard and the curve. Though I like it quite a bit, I find that it takes more effort to press the keys that on the regular curve, so I wind up switching between the two when one starts to get painful. It's definitely best with the riser--without, I think I'd actually prefer the standard curve.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

stuart posted:

A little funkier than those, but I really like my MS Natural Ergonomic 4000. Maybe you already looked into it though. It's only $23.49 for the OEM version. It didn't take long to get accustomed. I wasn't so sure about the attachable riser at first but it turned out to be pretty comfortable compared to having it flat.

Yeah, I've owned one, but it's a bit too weird for an office drop-in replacement for people who aren't used to it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Twiin posted:

Yeah, I've owned one, but it's a bit too weird for an office drop-in replacement for people who aren't used to it.

Make them get used to it. They'll thank you later. I've seen it happen several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gateway2000
Oct 16, 2004
I just upgraded from a POS membrane hipro keyboard to a Filco Majestouch w/ Cherry Browns and it is the most amazing thing I have ever typed on. Hopefully it should last a bit longer than the approx 1 year life expectancy my membrane based board have had to this point.

• Locked thread