Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Wouldn't Vampiro burst into flames, being a vampire and all? And I really don't think that holy water would do much for the two dudes in grease makeup, either.

Oh wait, WCW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gavok posted:

Speaking of Vampiro, I seem to recall a plan to do a PPV on December 31, 1999 called New Year's Evil that would have featured the Demon dropping Vampiro and ICP into a pool of holy water, which would have turned them face.

They should have made it a pool of sanctified Faygo.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think they were going to give away a million dollars at that show too

X-Sgt. Zypygski
Oct 23, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gavok posted:

the Demon

Speaking of stupid WCW stuff...

They barely used The Demon, and I'm pretty sure they spent a shitload of money on his costume/entrance attire (didn't he have some kind of coffin he came out of or something?), which was part of a contract with KISS, which I'm sure was also a shitload of money.

You would have thought they'd try to get some mileage out of him, but if I remember right, at the time they were pretty much only using him because KISS's contract forced them to.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Suben posted:

I really have no clue why but at the time Vampiro was one of my favorite guys. I think it was mainly a combination of the corpse paint, using the Michinoku Driver and his awesome theme.
He was one of my faves at the time, too. Sadly, I would go on to learn what a loving douchebag the guy is. He earned himself something of a primadonna reputation, then I read Jericho's book and pretty much lost the last shred of respect I had for the dude.

It's sad. I still have my CAW of Vampiro on my copy of Wrestlemania 2000.

X-Sgt. Zypygski posted:

*Regarding Demon:*
You would have thought they'd try to get some mileage out of him, but if I remember right, at the time they were pretty much only using him because KISS's contract forced them to.
They would have, but it was Bischoff's deal and he was fired less than a month after the Kiss concert on Nitro where Demon debuted.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

They should have made it a pool of sanctified Faygo.

:golfclap:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

god, I'd forgotten about ICP. It says an awful lot, and nothing good, that Insane Clown Posse managed to wrestle for each of the big 3 companies.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Lamuella posted:

god, I'd forgotten about ICP. It says an awful lot, and nothing good, that Insane Clown Posse managed to wrestle for each of the big 3 companies.

And TNA, and ROH, and have their own promotion. How the hell does that happen?

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
They're giant wrestling nerds who had infamy among the same target audience of the Attitude Era and work cheap!

And their sins in the wrestling world are forgiven because of Strangle-Mania.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh god. That cage match was probably the worst match I've ever seen. It was worse than Nowitski/Gayda vs. Bradshaw/Trish. It was worse than any reverse battle royale that TNA has ever had. It was worse than Giant Gonzalez vs. Undertaker.

Dr. Death CHECKS the door to see if it will open by swinging it wide open, then he walks all the way to the other side of the ring to throw Jerry Only through the ring. The camera work is absolutely hideous, as is the announcing. Nobody is excited about the finish of the match at all, much less a non-wrestling celebrity beating Steve Williams.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010
"Throughout the show, they (the NWO) were torturing Bret Hart. Nash was torturing Hart and in the background you could hear the director wrapping up the scene. The final scene saw Hart coming out with a pipe while covered in makeup to make it appear he'd been beaten up on. It was the same makeup they used for Arn Anderson, totally exposing that angle. Hart challenged the NWO guys to come out. Nash & Jarrett came out with bats. Then it got really silly. Hart was in a stand-off with Nash and Jarrett forever because Funk & Anderson arrived so late. Apparently live it was obvious Hart & Nash were having a hard time not laughing because the timing was so screwed up. Funk came out with a flaming branding iron and Anderson with a bucket of water. Anderson threw the bucket of water on Hart, with the idea that the makeup would run. The makeup didn't run, but the announcers had to sell that it did." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 24, 2000.

That has to be my favorite quote from the link in the OP. The absurdity of that paragraph is astounding. Wrestling in the 90's gave us some of the best television and the worst.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LividLiquid posted:

He was one of my faves at the time, too. Sadly, I would go on to learn what a loving douchebag the guy is. He earned himself something of a primadonna reputation, then I read Jericho's book and pretty much lost the last shred of respect I had for the dude.

Well, he was incredibly (maybe still is?) popular in Mexico so he probably figured he could act like he was a bigshot in WCW.

KitsonGT
Oct 5, 2004

Remember: if the balloon pops, the noise makes the angels cry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ze0BGU3q8&feature=related

Important points of note here:

After realizing someone is legitimately hurt, rookie Mark Jindrak immediately goes for the pin to stop the match. Rey Mysterio continues to wrestle.

After the bell sounds, Sanders and O'Haire continue to stand in the corner while Jindrak is getting beat up on, like a glitched video game.

Mark Madden is awful

Edit: I retract my complaints once I realized that it was an elimination match. The WTF factor remains.

KitsonGT fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 3, 2010

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MrBling posted:

Well, he was incredibly (maybe still is?) popular in Mexico so he probably figured he could act like he was a bigshot in WCW.

Maybe so. From what I heard, he was much better behaved in WSX.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The next night the match was restarted on Nitro at the point it finished. The reason for this was the finish had been written to get one wrestler specifically over and they felt that it must be aired somehow.

The wrestler? Tygress

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe it took everyone involved so long to realize that Orndorff was hurt and for the match to be stopped. That's not normal "WCW is dumb" stuff, that's how the gently caress are you a wrestler material.

For reference, here's the DDT Digest coverage of the event, which (I think) was live. http://ddtdigest.com/updates/2000093p.htm

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Rodney the Piper posted:

For reference, here's the DDT Digest coverage of the event, which (I think) was live. http://ddtdigest.com/updates/2000093p.htm

"ddtdigest posted:

Douglas says Kidman will join Orndorff in the hospital.

* Real classy, dumbass.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Von Dozier posted:

Shane Douglas and "classy" don't belong in the same sentence.

*resists making Dean Douglas joke*

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I guess you could say Douglas managed to be on Target with that joke

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've made Target jokes too, and I still find them funny, but it's kind of a shame that we laugh at people who move on with their lives after wrestling.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

LividLiquid posted:

I've made Target jokes too, and I still find them funny, but it's kind of a shame that we laugh at people who move on with their lives after wrestling.

Shane Douglas spotted

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress YOU, FLAIR! I COULD'VE BEEN BIGGER THAN THE ROCK!

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Guys I was supposed to go to bed two hours ago and have been up reading the OP and then that link to the funny WON quotes.

Sorry I'm sure this has been expressed a million times and I will read the entire thread tomorrow, but I just had to say right now this WON link might seriously be the hardest I've ever laughed in my entire life. Several times I have been loving crying here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Guys I was supposed to go to bed two hours ago and have been up reading the OP and then that link to the funny WON quotes.

Sorry I'm sure this has been expressed a million times and I will read the entire thread tomorrow, but I just had to say right now this WON link might seriously be the hardest I've ever laughed in my entire life. Several times I have been loving crying here.

I've been debating posting this since it is so large, but it is now posted online and maybe seeing Dave tear apart WCW can get a few more people to subscribe. Here is his review of Halloween Havoc 92 which was hilarious and kind of sad at the same time. If people enjoy this stuff, SUBSCRIBE! It is 9.99 per month for the Observer, Figure 4 Weekly, tons of audio shows, a huge archive of audio, a huge archive of Figure 4 Weekly newsletters, an archive of 4 years of Observers, and a back issue from 92 (going into 1993 with the debut of Raw) every week. https://www.f4wonline.com ~!

Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletter posted:

WCW is in a state of systematic destruction. Real wrestling talent is being exchanged with talent that doesn't have the experience or seasoning, or in some cases, even the talent, to hang in a major league operation. It doesn't appear to be a concern as long as the new talent seems willing to work cheaper than the experienced talent, or simply has a relative in high places. Even that wouldn't necessarily be so bad if the company was going on course with a viable new direction and needed fresh new talent and had the leadership that will teach and groom the newcomers into being legitimate talent. Unfortunately, that also isn't the case. The "old stale" talent gets more response than the "fresh new" talent. In 1993, WCW looks to be falling to the level of the last few years of the AWA, both in terms of talent, product quality and overall interest.

Halloween Havoc wasn't the worst PPV in history, although it was among the worst. The WWF has put on shows that were terrible from start to finish. Two of them were Wrestlemanias. This show was only terrible from the middle point of the show to the finish. The first half was good, particularly when it came to wrestling action, although the lack of direction and terrible main events made the feeling coming out of the show as being worse. Even on the worst WWF PPV show, when it was over you knew what direction the company was going in and there were ideas for new match-ups that would be upcoming. They usually worked to end the show on a positive note. WCW once put on a PPV card, the Great American Bash, in which the match-ups going in looked horrible on paper, were by and large even worse in reality, had the main event changed two weeks before, then confused the fans by turning both participants during the main event and the most over babyface at the show was a heel who had just been fired two weeks earlier. But as bad as that show was and as bad as things looked after the 1991 Great American Bash, WCW still had a larger television viewing audience, a stronger syndicated network, better overall talent and more potential for future interest. The Bash of '91 was worse than the Havoc of '92, but the company is coming out of the Havoc of '92 in its worst condition ever. During the 1991 Bash it was like watching a promotion take many steps down the road to oblivion. The second half of Havoc was the visual example of watching the fat lady sing for the promotion. People will be pointing fingers at each other all week trying to put the blame on someone else for how this turned out. But one thing is clear. Based on every imaginable criteria to judge, Bill Watts' reign thus far has been a failure. It's not just a bad PPV show. It's hardly just losing some name talent with more losses to come. It's not the morale problem. It's the lack of direction. The change in philosophy has gone from going from no philosophy to even less concept of no philosophy. Nothing is being built for the future. No ideas are being built for a concept for the future. It's just scatterbrained 1970s ideas and concepts thrown out so fast that even if they weren't outdated, which some are, they still are being grounded out in a manner which they couldn't work. Turns are decided upon, started, then dropped in the middle. So are storylines. Characters are dropped, then brought back as if they weren't dropped, and buried once again. Title belts are given to wrestlers who have already made it clear they are leaving the promotion for God only knows what reason, and then they leave the promotion. The turns that do happen, come out of nowhere with no storyline and angles that make no sense. A man is made world champion simply because of his skin color because of a mistaken antiquated notion about how that will draw black fans to pro wrestling matches, which is now beginning to set off a new low is race-baiting angles. Every criticism of Titan Sports and every way that WCW was supposed to set a new direction and a new course for this business has been exposed as a fraud. Every statement on steroids has been exposed as nothing but hot air, which was only made worse when Jim Ross spoke of "the other guys" having the posers. While Watts proclaimed that WCW was going back to wrestling, "the real deal" and needing to bring credibility back to the product, on his first PPV show that he was willing to take full responsibility for (previous shows he was willing to blame his predecessors because wheels for those shows were in motion before he got there, even though in the case of the Bash, he was in charge from start-to-finish for all the television build-up of the show) we heard announcers talking about anti-venom, a snake chewing on a man's cheek, a string of ref bump finishes, a major no-show, the most blatant example of bait-and-switch advertising in recent PPV history, and finishing off with the destruction of the credibility of the every major singles title in the promotion.

The show live at the Philadelphia Civic Center drew an estimated 7,000 fans. Best guess would be close to 5,000 of that paid and around an $80,000 house or almost exactly the same figures the WWF drew at the Spectrum the previous weekend. The gate was probably the largest of the year for WCW (War Games in Jacksonville was the biggest house thus far in 1992 at $72,000). The live reports were that the show was even worse live than on PPV (at least on PPV, even though Jesse Ventura's match analysis was non-existent, he was funny as hell which made things entertaining amidst the three hours of slow death), I'd guess they did wonders long-term for themselves in the Philadelphia market. The crowd was up for the opening PPV match, but very little else afterward.

A. In the dark match, Erik Watts & Van Hammer beat Vinnie Vegas & Diamond Dallas Page in 12:00 when Watts pinned Page with an Oklahoma side roll. -*

1. Tom Zenk & Shane Douglas & Johnny Gunn (Tom Brandi) beat Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton & Michael Hayes in 11:02 when Gunn pinned Hayes with a Thesz press. This match had a good amount of heat, although the crowd was heavily cheering the heels. Many people mistakenly labeled the fans as "heel fans," but that's a misnomer because they didn't cheer the heel in any other match. Match varied from solid to kind of sloppy, depending on if Gunn or Hayes were in or not. Eaton did a great clip spot on Douglas to start some quick heat, and a kneedrop to Douglas' legit injured ankle (he hurt it six days earlier at a TV taping) along with a figure four. Well-paced opener and really the four guys who could work dominated the time, but there was nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary about the match. Gunn made the hot tag and they did a six-way before hitting the finish. Crowd booed the finish heavily. **1/2

2. Rick Steamboat pinned Brian Pillman in 10:35 after a double reversal coming off a hot-looking sunset flip off the top rope by Steamboat. The action was very good, but it seemed they were just getting into it when they went to the finish. These guys could have used a little more time to do the PPV quality match that this looked to be on paper. Still, at this point, the show was pretty good. ***1/4 Then came Bill Watts as the bearer of good news. After Missy Hyatt did her shtick of trying to find out who the referee the heels would pick for the Rude-Chono match with the segment ending with the idea put across that it would be a secret until match time, and the totally undramatic "Team Japan" picked Kensuke Sasaki to be the ref, Bill Watts came out for his "get himself over to the marks interview" to announce Terry Gordy was suspended for a contract violation and would be out of the tag title match (Gordy actually quit the promotion that morning) and replaced by Steve Austin, and that "we just found out" it'll be Harley Race (as if the viewers were just told, which they did hint as Race walked by Missy as she was doing her shtick into Rude's dressing room) and Sasaki as the referees. Watts also said that there had been a court injunction and Rude wouldn't wrestle twice, but they are allowing Big Van Vader to wrestle Nikita Koloff and defend Rude's U.S. title for him. This was handled poorly because the storyline made no sense, and if in the storyline they were going to use this excuse, the heels should have at least the last two weekends before the show hinted of going to court to block it. It's like they wanted to advertise Rude working twice, wanted to have Vader destroy Koloff to make fans forget about him and to set up Vader and Rude feuding over the U.S. belt, but didn't have a clue as to how to logically get there so came up with an idea off the top of someone's head which must have required 20 seconds of thought.

3. Ironically, Vader's destruction of Koloff was probably a better match than Rude would have had with Koloff, but it destroys title credibility when a champion can pick someone to defend the title for him. Vader, who gained about 25 pounds (to around 400) because of being idled by knee surgery, won with a power bomb in 11:53. **3/4

4. Windham & Rhodes retained the NWA/WCW tag titles going to a 30:00 draw with the two Steve Williams', Dr. "Yogi Berra of wrestling" Death and Stunning Mr. Austin. It actually lasted 30:31. Jesse Ventura was really funny on commentary. The work was good but there was no crowd heat which made the match seem worse than it really was. Austin is technically and athletically very good but his weakness when it comes to charisma was apparent in such a long match. The match seemed to have no storyline, it was just a series of solid maneuvers going back-and-forth with no crowd reaction. The storyline going in of Windham and Rhodes having problems seemingly was dropped cold, although the announcers did acknowledge it. The fans not being educated to submissions makes it hard to do a technical wrestling match and go this long and have it get over. In addition, since Williams & Austin aren't a team, it was kind of pre-ordained that there wouldn't be a title change, which also made things drag in such a long match. Rhodes bled from a cut that was re-opened from an accident that took place earlier in the week. At about 28:00, they did a false finish with a ref bump by Randy Anderson. First Windham had Austin pinned, then Williams lariated Windham and Austin was pinning him and ref Nick Patrick counted to three and the bell rang. Anderson overruled Patrick and re-started the match and Rhodes schoolboyed Austin for Anderson counted two, but the bell rang anyway. They then brawled for a hot 90 seconds or so of near falls before time ran out. ***

Next was the Paul E. Dangerously/Madusa skit. Actually it started out with Harley Race and Van Vader doing an interview. Dangerously came out and thanked them for defending the title for Rude and said he'd give them half the payoff which, if they let him go on any longer, would have turned Race & Vader face because shouldn't they get the entire payoff. Well, Madusa came out and after a too brief build-up, was fired by Dangerously, basically called a bitch and a hooker, and Paul E. continued with the most heavy-handed put-downs on women imaginable. Madusa, who by this time was close to being the most over babyface in the building, kicked Paul in the head. Paul claimed his word was his contract and he could beat her with one hand tied behind his back (smells like an 11/18 match at the Clash because I don't want to put money on the odds of Dangerously lasting through Starrcade at this rate). They did a pull-apart brawl with Dangerously going nuts on the mic. Even though the previous match was technically good, it did put the crowd to sleep. This woke everyone up and could have been the turning point of the entire show as it drew tremendous heat. However, the turning point followed immediately.

5. Rude beat Chono via DQ in 22:33 so Chono retains the NWA title. The match that destroyed the show. The match that destroyed the NWA title in the United States. The only thing positive to say is that it's a good thing this wasn't televised in Japan. I wonder if this was the first time in wrestling history where two wrestlers, in their first meeting ever, had a potential match of the year, and then in their first rematch, had a potential worst match of the year? Before the match, Gary Capetta introduced Seiji Sakaguchi as NWA President, Hiro Matsuda and Manobu Nakanishi as a member of the Japanese Olympic team from Barcelona. Ross at this point commented about how glad he was he didn't have to pronounce those names. Can you imagine that comment from another perspective? Let's say Bruce Baumgardner went to the next card at Sumo Hall, and the New Japan announcer and didn't even talk about who the guy is and blew it off with a remark like "Boy I'm sure glad I don't have to pronounce those American names." There was no reaction at all to the two referees, an angle that had been built up on television. Madusa, fired minutes earlier, came out with Rude anyway. After a coin flip, Race was chosen to referee in the ring, Sasaki outside the ring. So this was the most screwed up match imaginable. The supposed top heel in the United States comes to ringside with a just-turned babyface who had just been fired minutes earlier but is still there anyway after being fired, with no plausible explanation. Ross and Ventura did address the subject, but there was no answer that made sense and their attempt, saying that Rude had apparently chosen Madusa over Paul E., only served to make Rude theoretically a babyface, although in reality it made him another wrestler that nobody seemed to care about. To make matters stranger, the heel ref, Race, was officiating right down the line. At least that was good, because a full-fledged heel ref performance would have made this match even worse. Well, Rude wasn't a babyface here. Neither was Chono. The only babyface was Ric Flair, since the first 5:00 consisted of "We Want Flair" and "Whooo" chants that the announcers couldn't acknowledge. Chono was clearly way off because of his pinched nerve in his neck. Rude seemed disgusted. I'd guess part of it was because it became apparent he was over nowhere near the level that he probably thought he was, since nobody cared about anything that involved the match and instead used his match as a way to chant for a guy who left the promotion 16 months earlier. To make matters worse, Ross and Ventura blew the announcing here because they never explained and exclaimed when Chono put on his various submission holds, so it seemed like it was all dead time. And to make it even worse, early in the match when Chono put on a submission, Ventura made the comment about how Rude would never submit, and Ross, who I guess didn't want to disagree, agreed with him, which basically told the viewers that all the submissions were a waste of time because a guy like Rude would never submit. Once it's established that the "big stars" are never going to submit, you've killed the entire concept of submission holds, which is exactly what happened in this country about ten years ago which created the illusion that everything but high spots can be labeled as restholds and makes it much harder to work an effective and realistic match. Thus only gimmicks and high spots get over, neither of which are realistic, and then they complain because the heels don't have heat, and it's because the style doesn't allow anyone to take the product seriously. The crowd didn't understand the holds live, but the holds had never been put over previously on television, where fans are educated to the nuances, so why should they have? I guess wrestling fans are supposed to have ESP, since Rude and Chono knew what they were doing, everyone else should have figured it out without being told as well. This made the match seem even more like it was going nowhere. At 19:00, when they should have been building for a finish, a fight broke out which diverted everyone's attention from a supposed world title match. Both guys by this point must have figured it was hopeless, because as they worked to the finish, they were missing spots. Chono kicked Race in the face when Rude ducked. Race went out of the ring and Sasaki tried to help him up. Chono then threw Rude over the top rope and Rude landed on both Sasaki and Race knocking them both down. Rude got back in, hit the Rude Awakening, but there was no ref to count. Chono made a comeback, caught Rude in the STF, and Sasaki jumped in the ring and called for the bell to apparently signal Chono the winner via submission, although neither announcer acknowledged the word submission even existed in our language. Race overruled Sasaki and declared Rude the winner via DQ. Boy, that was a novel finish that nobody had ever seen before. Race than tried to attack Sasaki and Sasaki did a few slams on Race, who still took those picture perfect bumps, then dropkicked Rude out of the ring. Truly a disaster in every way. One of the worst world title matches ever on PPV. -***

6. Ron Simmons pinned Barbarian in 12:41 with a powerslam to keep the WCW title. Simmons came out with an entourage of about two dozen people which only made him seem like a heel. There may be good reason behind pushing Simmons as one of the top babyfaces, but it's painfully obvious he's no world champion. Barbarian is even less of a #1 contender and only caused to expose what Simmons wasn't. The match and lack of crowd reaction for a world title match brought this point home. Simmons was working injured. Barbarian did a long cobra hold, and Jesse Ventura showed he didn't watch Atlanta wrestling on cable while living in Minnesota by not knowing the Mongolian Stomper and Mark Lewin's dreaded "Shinninomaki," which, incidentally, is actually named after a Tokyo train station." Anyway, Ross noted that this move causes unconsciousness. What he forget to say, is it only causes unconsciousness among the live audience, not to the wrestler in the hold. Work was sloppy and crowd was dead. There was a good near fall when Simmons kicked out of the diving head-butt. One of the worst world title matches ever on PPV tm. 1/4*

Next up was an interview with Bruno Sammartino, Erik Watts and Ron Simmons, with the idea that Watts would "get the rub" from standing alongside the wrestling legend and the current world champion. This got a lot of heat with a lot of people. This Erik Watts push is out of control.

7. Sting pinned Jake Roberts in 10:34 of a Coal Miners Glove match in the spin the wheel deal. Jake is a tremendous personality. One of the best in the business. But he's suffered to many injuries to be able to work on top as a singles wrestler in a group where fans expect action. Jake has also killed Sting to the point he's risking being almost dead. I understand the number of fan letters Sting has gotten over the past two months has suddenly plummeted, and he got a very much un-Stinglike lack of a pop coming out. Sting worked on Roberts' left arm most of the way. After a missed Stinger splash, Roberts hit the DDT. Sting got up before Jake could climb the pole and got elbowed. Second time he got up he did a swing around the pole and climbed up to get the glove. At the same time, Cactus Jack ran out with the snake bag. Jake held the snake and Sting came down with the glove and Sting hit Roberts with the glove and Roberts pulled the snake to make it look like it was biting his cheek and was pinned. Pin got no pop at all because Roberts distracted everyone from it with the snake. Unfortunately, the snake actually did gnaw on Roberts cheek and he bled, which wasn't supposed to happen. I thought they were turning Roberts face, but that wasn't the idea. Roberts ran to the dressing room with a snake being held to his cheek while we heard all about the anti-venom backstage. The finish made a bad main event even worse. 1/4*

This note in particular cracked me up.

quote:

A fan at ringside was wearing a WBF tank top when the show started, but the shirt mysteriously turned into a WCW crew shirt. Good to see paranoia about clothing being worn by fans isn't limited to those at Titan Sports.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

quote:

Austin is technically and athletically very good but his weakness when it comes to charisma was apparent in such a long match.

Dave Meltzer everyone!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's hilarious.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.
I was watching The Rise and Fall of WCW, and Goldberg said he found out about his championship match with Hogan when he was watching the episode of Thunder that was on a few days before that Nitro. Goldberg was saying how they should've build the feud, and gotten a huge PPV number. But that was Bischoff for you, always wanting to make sure that Nitro beat Raw in the ratings for one week.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Hogan/Goldberg match was always intended to be a dark match for the crowd in attendance. Various sources have said that the idea was pitched by Hogan as a means to show him as the top draw of the company at one of their biggest gates and also to get him over as a company man who was willing to put over Goldberg, all be it in a manner not shown on TV.

About a week before the Georgia Dome match Bischoff made the decision to make the match the focus of the show. In his book he says that that nitro was more important than any PPV because of the number of Turner executives that would be in attendence so he wanted it to have the feel of being the biggest card of the year. When Hogan found out he was unhappy, but had already pledged to put Goldberg over in a non title match. So this was one occasion where it looked like someone had out played him at the political game. It's rumoured that he had the final laugh as he managed to get a verbal agreement that when the time came for someone to end the streak it would be him. How true this was is anyones guess as when it came down to it the Streak was ended by Kevin Nash who was the biggest backstage rival of Hogan.

The event drew a big gate. Nitro won the ratings battle. Goldberg went over both Scott Hall and Hogan in the same night giving him the world title. All was well.

However from that point on Goldberg and the world title was booked as an afterthought to the big story of the NWO break up. His title defences rarely went on last and he was actually given a number of PPV's off. The ratings boost of that weeks show faded away by the next week.

More importantly looking back at ticket sales for that show, there was no reason to make the match a world title match. A week before the show even happened it was sold out. Bischoff retcons this as saying that sales had stagnated and that the title match helped put attendance over the edge. Of course ticket sales had stagnated: there were no more tickets to sell. The show drew good ratings but as many commentators have pointed out there was lost revenue from the potential of a PPV match between Goldberg and Hogan. Considering the two never met in any match on PPV it can only be seen as a missed opportunity.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've always ranked hogan/goldberg along with hogan/Austin as the two biggest ppv moneymakers that could have been done in a company but never were. At least in the last decade or so

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

Dave Meltzer everyone!

Oh come on, you can't blame him. Austin was bland as gently caress back then.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I've always ranked hogan/goldberg along with hogan/Austin as the two biggest ppv moneymakers that could have been done in a company but never were. At least in the last decade or so

This is probably true, but Hogan/Austin was discussed at one point and allegedly neither man wanted to job to the other (Hogan because he doesn't job for anybody, and Austin probably because Hogan poo poo all over him in WCW).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pneub posted:

Oh come on, you can't blame him. Austin was bland as gently caress back then.

:qq: don't be mean to poor Dave Meltzer!
It's a funny quote now with the the lense of history to look at it through...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don't think Hogan and Austin could work a good match, although I -would- like to see Austin kick the poo poo out of Hogan. They're really emblems of two different eras and seeing Austin hit by the big boot, I imagine he'd laugh, crack a beer and open a can of whup-rear end.

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMNIT!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Golden Bee posted:

I don't think Hogan and Austin could work a good match, although I -would- like to see Austin kick the poo poo out of Hogan. They're really emblems of two different eras and seeing Austin hit by the big boot, I imagine he'd laugh, crack a beer and open a can of whup-rear end.

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMNIT!

And then Cena Attitude Adjust's the icon of the Attitude Era.

RAPADOO FUCKER!

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

oldpainless posted:

What's the constant in both those scenarios, BROTHER? TNA is sitting on a goldmine, JACK! Hogan/Hogan, biggest moneymaker of all-time, DUDE!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

FishBulb posted:

Lot's of good stuff in F4W back issues.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

So you... thought Stunning Steve was charismatic?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pneub posted:

In promos and skits, and certain matches I would say he was. But definitely not all the time, and Pillman definitely brought more of the charisma when they teamed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pneub posted:

He was no Ringmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pneub posted:

If it was Scott Keith or something you wouldn't even take a second to bag on the quote, its a funny quote.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 5, 2010