Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I've looked all over, and I can't seem to find a valid download for Otto Krupp's Firearm mod.. the one that balances tech properly and makes it viable. Anyone know where that is currently hosted? I'm not finding it looking through everything on the 'download' page of terra-arcanum either. Found the original thread from Otto, and it has dead links and dead mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

glug posted:

I've looked all over, and I can't seem to find a valid download for Otto Krupp's Firearm mod.. the one that balances tech properly and makes it viable. Anyone know where that is currently hosted?

It's now part of Krupp's All In One: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/doa/krupp_aio_arcanumhackv1.zip

It took me a while to figure that out when I reinstalled, too.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Ansob. posted:

It's now part of Krupp's All In One: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/doa/krupp_aio_arcanumhackv1.zip

It took me a while to figure that out when I reinstalled, too.

Do you install this after the Unofficial Patch people linked to earlier in the thread?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Ahh, and I see it now, on the downloads page under Dimensions of Arcanum Downloads->Hacks. Weird. Thanks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like I was right, it will just be two games on Thursday, with no weekend deal during this month of Activison.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Any hints given?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Do you install this after the Unofficial Patch people linked to earlier in the thread?

Yes. The patch comes first (after the install, of course).

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009

Panic Restaurant posted:

Neverhood would be amazing, especially since the game is ridiculously expensive and hard to find. I'd love to play it without having to sell a kidney. :(

Wait, really? I still have my copy with the manual and box.

hmmm

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Any hints given?

Nothing although they do have a Month Of Activision page up

http://www.gog.com/en/page/month_of_activision

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Placebo posted:

Wait, really? I still have my copy with the manual and box.

hmmm

You could get $80 at the least. Toss in the soundtrack and you're looking at $200 together.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
If I ever become too strapped for cash that's good to consider, but The Neverhood is one of my all time favorite games so until that happens, I'm keeping it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Ansob. posted:

Yes. The patch comes first (after the install, of course).

Thanks - I had this game way back when it came out years ago, played it a little, loved it but was frustrated by it, then lost the discs. I'm really happy to have another chance to try it again.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

PrinnySquadron posted:

poo poo yeah, the NOLF games are excellent.

Hell yes they are. I've been itching to play NOLF 2 for a while but the damned thing doesn't run on my computer (same goes for Alice, which is unfortunately an EA game).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks

No worries.

I'm still pissed off that I shelled out $20 on what I thought was an original big-box copy two months ago, only to get a DVD-case copy instead and then find out that it's perfectly playable when, er, "acquired," and then find out that if I'd waited a bit I could have legally gotten it for a third of the price I paid. ¬_¬

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption for 6 bucks? Hell freakin' yes.

Oh, and Dark Fall 2. Whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption

Oh loving hell yes.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, and Dark Fall 2. Whatever.

Odd, I thought this was the same one that's been on Steam that has the fan patch. What's the story with this one, worth looking at?

edit: just realised I'm gutted it's not I76. Or Realms of the Haunting (but that would have been a bit of a stretch..)

frowning fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 4, 2010

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

frowning posted:

Odd, I thought this was the same one that's been on Steam that has the fan patch. What's the story with this one, worth looking at?

Incredibly atmospheric RPG, Diablo style, where you gain awesome vampiric powers as you progress. The story is a lot of fun. You start out as a crusader and end up in modern times. With guns. Yeah, it's less lame than it sounds.

The story is pretty cool, I still have the thick manual explaining all the different Vampire factions and such.

The less that's spoiled about the little story aspects, the better. It's really cool discovering on your own.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 4, 2010

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Incredibly atmospheric RPG, Diablo style, where you gain awesome vampiric powers as you progress. The story is a lot of fun. You start out as a crusader and end up in modern times. With guns. Yeah, it's less lame than it sounds.

The story is pretty cool, I still have the thick manual explaining all the different Vampire factions and such.

The less that's spoiled about the little story aspects, the better. It's really cool discovering on your own.

Eh, I remember being incredibly frustrated with the combat mechanics, and the fact that you couldn't give your party members orders without jumping directly into them, which caused each other party member to follow their brain-dead AI scripts and get themselves killed over and over.

Not the worst choice GOG could have made, but there are so many other better options.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Fuuuuuccckkk I have spent like 25 bucks in the last 2 weeks on like, 10 awesome PC games in the last 2 weeks. Finally, couldn't find my DVD's for this game for poo poo.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
Are there any mods or patches I should install before playing Vampire: The Masquerade for the first time?

*edit* welp, nevermind then. I didn't know there were two of these games.

Fishmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 4, 2010

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fishmonkey posted:

Are there any mods or patches I should install before playing Vampire: The Masquerade for the first time?

Bigass fan patch that is still being updated. Install it.

http://www.planetvampire.com/bloodlines/files/patches/

Edit: poo poo, nevermind.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 4, 2010

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Uh, before everyone spends the money, it's NOT Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, the awesome, yet buggy HL2 engine game. It's Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption, which is the significantly older diablo clone. I only played the latter briefly, but I'm pretty sure it's not nearly as good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Bigass fan patch that is still being updated. Install it.

http://www.planetvampire.com/bloodlines/files/patches/

Wrong game. Like Velius said, there are two Vampire: The Masquerade games, and the one that just went up for sale is the earlier one. That patch is for the later, completely different one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here is the gamespot review from 2000:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vampirethemasquerader/index.html

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Gamespot? Heh, no. A low review on GameSpot just means someone didn't get their kickback.

Metacritic posted:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Gamespot? Heh, no. A low review on GameSpot just means someone didn't get their kickback.

Gamespot was still pretty legit back in 2000. Tom Bramwell's 6/10 Eurogamer review corroborates GameSpot's opinion, and Bramwell generally knows what he's talking about.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_vampire

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Whatever you say, sheep.

Seriously though, I just wanted to post the MetaCritic score since things like this are usually a little more niche and can easily get panned at the drop of a hat if the reviewer just doesn't like the genre.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's worth the 6 bucks. That's all that needs to be said.

Gotta give kudos to Activision for not pulling an Ubisoft vis-à-vis pricing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
VTMR was pretty cool. It got panned a bit because the VTM fanbase was turned off by it being very not VTM ie you just murder and/or diablerize (although the mechanics don't count it as such) the hell out of a million vampires like it ain't no thing, and the more casual RPGers were completely lost in the VTM world cause the game itself didn't do an amazing job of explaining things.

There was also a dead in the water multiplayer mode that almost pulled off NWN years before NWN, at least when the netcode wasn't being complete poo poo.

Definitely worth a go for $6.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Ha i still have this game in a box in my closet, i keep meaning to dig it out and play it but didn't have a whole lot of faith that it would run. GoG is just getting more and more awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's no Bloodlines but it's definitely worth six bucks. Consider it like...Ultima 8 or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Masquerade was a good RPG (once patched to remove the horrid bugs) and the online Storyteller system was a lot of fun before Neverwinter Nights came along and destroyed it. It has a decent, if overtly hammy, plot and some hilarious quotes. Your party AI is pretty dumb so be sure to set them to neutral.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
VTMR was a great concept wrapped in some pretty crappy mechanics. The "dungeons" were way too long, and the combat wasn't that great. However, the powers and the storyline were very cool, and going from Crusader times to Modern times was pretty mind blowing at the time.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

al-azad posted:

It has a decent, if overtly hammy, plot and some hilarious quotes.

"To the abyss with thee!!"

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
drat, I thought it was the one with the big 3D growing titties cheat code.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

drat, I thought it was the one with the big 3D growing titties cheat code.

What? Now I'm sad too.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Don't worry, you can still get growing titties, but it's still a bit expensive.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I got it for 2.50 a few months ago on gamersgate, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncope
May 7, 2007
We'll probably get SiN, Quake II, hopefully I'76, and Dark Reign, although...

I'm holding out for the free download of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing!