Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

From Earth posted:

Looking for bands with terrific horn sections. I'm not really talking about great solists (although I will never say no to a roaring sax solo) or all-brass ensembles, I'm mostly talking about bands with a small but solid horn section with some great riffs. Genre can be anything.

If you like the late-'90s swing/jump blues revival, I always thought Royal Crown Revue was the best of the lot of zoot suited bands, but Cherry Poppin' Daddies were more versatile, playing everything from swing to country-blues to funk to ska.

I know she turned into a tabloid joke, but Amy Winehouse WAS a hell of a singer (and may become one again), and her Mark Ronson-produced album Back to Black featured great horn arrangements from the Daptone Horns.

Of course, any "Best of" James Brown compilation is going to have a really tight horn section led by Maceo Parker on alto sax. James Brown had some classic soul songs, so much better than just "I Feel Good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you like the late-'90s swing/jump blues revival, I always thought Royal Crown Revue was the best of the lot of zoot suited bands, but Cherry Poppin' Daddies were more versatile, playing everything from swing to country-blues to funk to ska.

I know she turned into a tabloid joke, but Amy Winehouse WAS a hell of a singer (and may become one again), and her Mark Ronson-produced album Back to Black featured great horn arrangements from the Daptone Horns.

Of course, any "Best of" James Brown compilation is going to have a really tight horn section led by Maceo Parker on alto sax. James Brown had some classic soul songs, so much better than just "I Feel Good."

While you've mentioned Mark Ronson, Versions by him was loving fantastic, twas all covers of pop songs, and most that I can remember had fantastic horn riffs (never checked but given his previous work I always assumed it was with The Dap-Kings as well). And again on this trail, check out Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Listening to them its really really disorienting to realize that they're a current band.

While I'm posting, been REALLY digging Chromeo lately, anyone got any similar stuff they know of?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

From Earth posted:

Looking for bands with terrific horn sections. I'm not really talking about great solists (although I will never say no to a roaring sax solo) or all-brass ensembles, I'm mostly talking about bands with a small but solid horn section with some great riffs. Genre can be anything.

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Poets of Rhythm, and The Herbaliser spring to mind.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

From Earth posted:

Check out the Finnish band Alamaailman Vasarat. I'm not sure how to describe the music, but it's instrumental, rock based stuff, with a great horn section. Lots of eastern influences, very interesting band in my opinion. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you said genre doesn't matter, and I've dying to recommend this band to someone for a while.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for more aggressively psychedelic electronic music in the same vein as Caribou's (or Manitoba's) Up In Flames. I was listening to it with headphones the other day and holy poo poo was it trippy.

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot
This song has been stuck in my head for about 4 months. It is sung by a woman and there's an instrumental for about 2 minutes at the beginning. First off it's quite naturey sounds then a piano drops in. I remember a lyric like 'Day is richer that nights' or something to that effect.

I hope that's enough to go by.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Kara Thrace posted:

This song has been stuck in my head for about 4 months. It is sung by a woman and there's an instrumental for about 2 minutes at the beginning. First off it's quite naturey sounds then a piano drops in. I remember a lyric like 'Day is richer that nights' or something to that effect.

I hope that's enough to go by.
I think you posted this in the wrong thread, you should try the "Help me identify a song" thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I was hoping someone would be able to recommend some kind of beginner's compilation CD for piano music, preferably with some things by Satie and Debussy. I never got into any classical or purely instrumental music, but recently I discovered that I like a few of their compositions, so I'd like to listen to more of it.

If there's no compilation CD, can anyone recommend similar composers?

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart
Because I am a milquetoast fella, I'm looking for some good jazz singers. I'm on the basics [Billie, Nina, Chet et al] and I'm looking for something new / out of the ordinary.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Django: They may be part of your basics but if you haven't already you could do worse than the Andrews Sisters. They're classed as Vocal on iTunes but they appear along side the likes of Billie Holiday though they may fall more under swing.

From Earth: The opening titles to an Anime called Cowboy Bebop is a track called Tank! by The Seatbelts. You might like that as it's very brass heavy, though I don't know what the group's other music is like.

I'm looking for some good Korean music particularly female pop acts similar to Younha though I like Rock, Metal and Punk too but have no idea at all where to start with those as far as Korean acts go.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 7, 2010

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone know of any cool subtle electornica/instrumental hip hop that has cool samples like Onra? especially poo poo that samples obscure Asian music and samples like that?

any help would be greatly appreciated

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Since you guys helped so much last time (thanks a lot for that), I have another request. Last summer, I played Discovery's LP more than probably any other album. More recently, I found Neon Indian's Psychic Chasms and, while not as good as LP, I love the sound. I'm not sure what I like so much about LP (I think it may be the way the beats are constructed, like often cut out and going into half-time), but any sort of electronic indie with trippy sounds and instruments and sliced vocals or beats or whatever you want to call it would be awesome (I obviously don't know much about electronic). Thanks again.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

PDMChubby posted:

Since you guys helped so much last time (thanks a lot for that), I have another request. Last summer, I played Discovery's LP more than probably any other album. More recently, I found Neon Indian's Psychic Chasms and, while not as good as LP, I love the sound. I'm not sure what I like so much about LP (I think it may be the way the beats are constructed, like often cut out and going into half-time), but any sort of electronic indie with trippy sounds and instruments and sliced vocals or beats or whatever you want to call it would be awesome (I obviously don't know much about electronic). Thanks again.

Toro Y Moi and MillionYoung both have a sound that's kind of in between Discovery and Neon Indian IMHO.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I'd really like to get into some beautiful electronic ambient stuff. Can you recommend the genre staples? Or superb unknowns? Or anything that fits, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped with my previous requests. This thread is indispensable.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Iraff posted:

I'd really like to get into some beautiful electronic ambient stuff. Can you recommend the genre staples? Or superb unknowns? Or anything that fits, I suppose.

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped with my previous requests. This thread is indispensable.

You'd definitely like Eluvium. My favorite album by him is Talk Amongst the Trees and his Travels in Constant EP. Four Tet is also good, although he's more in the electronic side. His album Rounds is superb, and his newest There is Love in You is also really good. Finally, I would recommend Aidan Baker. He is a prolific motherfucker, but to start off, I'd check out The Sea Swells a Bit... and Oneiromancer.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Iraff posted:

William Basinski, The American Dollar, Helios, Tim Hecker (The CD he did with Aidan Baker, Fantasma Parastasie is EXCELLENT) to start you off. Oh and seconding Eluvium.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

The Orb, Tangerine Dream, Fennesz, Ulrich Schnauss, Yagya and the previously listed artists are a pretty good range of different styles of ambient

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

Anyone know of any cool subtle electornica/instrumental hip hop that has cool samples like Onra? especially poo poo that samples obscure Asian music and samples like that?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Well i've come here to answer my own question in case anyone else wanted an answer too

The Shanghai Restoration Project

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Iraff posted:

Hello friend who is interested in electronic music! I think what you're looking for are ambient and IDM artists.

Some of the bigger name artists from a wide range of musical styles: Tycho, Boards of Canada, port-royal, Telefon Tel Aviv, Bonobo, Wagon Christ, Obfusc, Aether, Hecq, Benn Jordan (and the stuff he's released as The Flashbulb), Aphex Twin, Belong, Emancipator, Secede, Stars of the Lid, Dom Mino', Plaid, Röyksopp, and Wisp.

Also seconding: Helios, Eluvium, Ulrich Schnauss, and Four Tet. Eluvium's Talk Amongst the Trees is one of my favorite albums, period.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Okay, I'm hooked on Sierra Leone by MT Eden Dubstep. This is the sickest poo poo I've ever heard, please, any good stuff like this recommend.

Poop Toucher
Jul 12, 2006

"I sometimes like to feel the poop as it leaves my hole."
What are some good modern pianists? Specific genre doesn't really matter, as long as it's solo piano from the last 5-10 years or so. Thanks.

EDIT: Something that's been composed within the last 5 years, I don't mean like classical music recitals.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?
I'm looking for some good string-emphasized chamber pop in the same vein as Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, Pale Young Gentlemen, and Andrew Bird. Any suggestions?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Pious Pete posted:

I'm looking for some good string-emphasized chamber pop in the same vein as Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy, Pale Young Gentlemen, and Andrew Bird. Any suggestions?

Check out Rachel's

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

etard knievel posted:

Check out Rachel's

Enjoying this, but would prefer something with lyrics.

Regression
Nov 7, 2009

insomne posted:

Hello friend who is interested in electronic music! I think what you're looking for are ambient and IDM artists.

Some of the bigger name artists from a wide range of musical styles: Tycho, Boards of Canada, port-royal, Telefon Tel Aviv, Bonobo, Wagon Christ, Obfusc, Aether, Hecq, Benn Jordan (and the stuff he's released as The Flashbulb), Aphex Twin, Belong, Emancipator, Secede, Stars of the Lid, Dom Mino', Plaid, Röyksopp, and Wisp.

Also seconding: Helios, Eluvium, Ulrich Schnauss, and Four Tet. Eluvium's Talk Amongst the Trees is one of my favorite albums, period.
I just wanted to thank you for the effort you put into that post!

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

Regression posted:

I just wanted to thank you for the effort you put into that post!

No problem at all! If anyone has any questions about that type of music I'll certainly try and help if you message me on AIM. I'm not the greatest resource but I do like a lot of it. I also cannot believe that I forgot one of my favorite groups: Hammock.

insomne fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 10, 2010

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

shoe posted:

What are some good modern pianists? Specific genre doesn't really matter, as long as it's solo piano from the last 5-10 years or so. Thanks.

EDIT: Something that's been composed within the last 5 years, I don't mean like classical music recitals.

Ludovico Einaudi is amazing, and seems to fit what you're asking. He's often classified as minimalist but I don't think that really describes him, but he plays really beautiful, deceptively simple melodies.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Hey NMD, my first time in this subforum. Please recommend awesome country music to a non-american whose knowledge in country is less than zero.

I've always vaguely liked the sound of American country songs but never cared much for the singing and the schmaltzy lyrics. So I'm probably looking for some purely or mostly instrumental country, if there is even such a thing. What I love most are insane banjo and violin riffs, ultra-rich soundscapes, and, well, anything that sort of diverges from the standard country tropes while still staying firmly in the country realm.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

poronty posted:

Hey NMD, my first time in this subforum. Please recommend awesome country music to a non-american whose knowledge in country is less than zero.

I've always vaguely liked the sound of American country songs but never cared much for the singing and the schmaltzy lyrics. So I'm probably looking for some purely or mostly instrumental country, if there is even such a thing. What I love most are insane banjo and violin riffs, ultra-rich soundscapes, and, well, anything that sort of diverges from the standard country tropes while still staying firmly in the country realm.

Check out the whole genre called Bluegrass, it's predominately instrumental and when it does have lyrics they're usually upbeat and gospel-y rather than croony and melodromatic. Besides Alison Krauss, Bela Fleck, Flatt & Scruggs & The Foggy Mountain Boys and some other really mainstream artists i don't really know many specifics but there's a ton of great folk musicians that are relative unknowns out there so you might be better off just randomly browsing on amazon.com or getting some compilation album. The sountrack for the movie 'O Brother Where Art Thou' was really good too.

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 10, 2010

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Iraff posted:

Oren Ambarchi
Fennesz
Philip Jeck

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

etard knievel posted:

Bluegrass

Thanks, will look into it! For some reason I've always automatically assumed Bluegrass to be a subgenre of Blues (which I can't stand most of the time), and because of that I never thought to look it up. How stupid is that.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I'm looking for some music that's in the same vein as Oingo Boingo, Cardiacs, or I guess even Devo or Sparks. Quirky new wave, tongue-in-cheek stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously.

My other favorites include XTC, Ween, R.E.M., Nomeansno, Talking Heads, and early '80s King Crimson (when they pretty such sounded exactly like the Talking Heads). Any suggestions that match these would work too, but I'm really looking for the former.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

poronty posted:

Thanks, will look into it! For some reason I've always automatically assumed Bluegrass to be a subgenre of Blues (which I can't stand most of the time), and because of that I never thought to look it up. How stupid is that.

Also, check out the album Nickel Creek - Why Should The Fire Die?. It's not instrumental, but it's amazing bluegrass/folk music and you'll probably love it.

Edit: While I'm at it, where should I start with the jam band genre? All I've got is Phish's Story of a Ghost album, and them doing Remain In Light live.

wlokos fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 12, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'd strongly recommend Old Crow Medicine Show as a good entry point for contemporary bluegrass; any album will do. Might also check out stuff labeled "neo-traditionalist" or "Americana", Gillian Welch's Revival would be a good example.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

wlokos posted:

Edit: While I'm at it, where should I start with the jam band genre? All I've got is Phish's Story of a Ghost album, and them doing Remain In Light live.

I always had trouble getting into jam bands, but back in high school (mid-'90s), I really liked Phish's studio albums. Junta would be a great re-introduction to them, with some extended jams alongside shorter, more structured songs. Plus it has "Divided Sky," one of Trey Anastasio's best solos. Even though I haven't listened to these guys in over a decade, I've always really loved Trey's sound and respected him as a guitarist.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

I'm looking for some music that's in the same vein as Oingo Boingo, Cardiacs, or I guess even Devo or Sparks. Quirky new wave, tongue-in-cheek stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously.

My other favorites include XTC, Ween, R.E.M., Nomeansno, Talking Heads, and early '80s King Crimson (when they pretty such sounded exactly like the Talking Heads). Any suggestions that match these would work too, but I'm really looking for the former.

If you like Devo try Polysics, apparently they're big fans and take a lot of inspiration from Devo.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

HateTheInternet posted:

Wow, quite some diverse taste you got there. Since you're a fan of Talking Heads and 80's King Crimson, you should definitely check out all of the artists connected with them, mainly Brian Eno (mostly his first couple albums), David Bowie (especially the Berlin Trilogy), Adrian Belew, and Roxy Music.

In the vein of Cardiacs, NoMeansNo, and King Crimson's 80's stuff, might I recommend the genre of math rock. See if you like these bands:

Don Caballero:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YcEe0IT7q0

Hella:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ydh2kpG7cU&feature=related

Shudder To Think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eLnhDzf6p8

Marnie Stern:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpJg7dV8NU

Battles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

Heavy Vegetable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtgYvUpto4M0

HP Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 12, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

HateTheInternet posted:

Can't imagine you haven't already listened to them, but Wall of Voodoo, Adam and the Ants, The B-52's?

More importantly though these Cardiacs are really cool. Thanks for alerting me to the existence of a great band I never would have heard otherwise.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, if you were going to create a cd that was sort of a musical education of hip-hop through the past 30 or so years, what would you include? I'm trying to do this for my father and then I discovered that my own education in this genre is just completely lacking. help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Here's a few acts to get you started Sugarhill Gang (Rappers Delight is a must), Grandmaster Flash, KRS-one, Gangstarr, The Fugees, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, NWA.