Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not so sure about his earlier stuff, I know he did some MSC stuff moving jet fuel and munitions, some great stories from that but utterly terrifying, I think some time with Chevron, Sealand for quite some time, and the last couple years were mostly alaska marine highway with a couple oddball trips thrown in just to get at sea days toward retirement.

Sealand doesn't exist anymore as such, but it sounded like if you could negotiate the clusterfuck you could at least get most of what you needed. It's hard to tell if that was normal though, or just a function of my dad being an anal, extremely competent, and brutally efficient person. I know he cost people their jobs when their fuckups impacted his job and responsibilities, and if he couldn't do that he made their lives as hellish as possible.

Alaska marine highway though, is a complete and total clusterfuck. Yes, these are the guys that ran their ferry aground on a marked sand bar in broad daylight. The boats were somewhat terrifying, one of them was supposed to have the upper deck or two built out of aluminum, but they didn't, so it was always fun to count the seconds till she started to recover. More than I think eight or ten seconds and it was time to grab your coat and run like hell.

They were more than happy to try and stiff people, and were pretty open about the practice. More than once it took him stepping off the boat and on to the dock while on the phone, then reminding them that they can't legally move the boat without him, to get payroll sort of straightened out. Their HR stuff was a nightmare all around, bridge to nowhere level stuff.

I think the biggest lesson we all got out of it was don't ever work for a government operated ferry system. Alaska was absolutely horrifying and at this point you couldn't pay me to get on one of their ferries, but the Washington state ones are even worse. If I didn't have to ride them to live where I do, I wouldn't get within a few hundred yards of one by choice. Anywhere is better than a government run ferry, especially AK or WA ones. I wish I could give a positive recommendation for somewhere, but the whole industry is in kind of a depressing state.

I don't know what the deal with port engineers is. My dad did it for a short while for sealand, but it was so long ago I don't remember why he decided to go back to sea. I'm sure he had a good reason, he may be a bit of an rear end in a top hat but he doesn't do things randomly and he hated being away. The ones I've dealt with tended mostly toward arrogant incompetence, but there were a few good ones scattered around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

Oh poo poo, LSX/T56 swap into the GT-R!

There is literally no automotive problem big enough that the LS1/T56 cannot fix. :911:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 3, 2010

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

drzrma posted:

Sealand doesn't exist anymore as such, but it sounded like if you could negotiate the clusterfuck you could at least get most of what you needed. It's hard to tell if that was normal though, or just a function of my dad being an anal, extremely competent, and brutally efficient person. I know he cost people their jobs when their fuckups impacted his job and responsibilities, and if he couldn't do that he made their lives as hellish as possible.

Sealand turned into Horizon Lines and I work for them most of the time. I've probably worked on one of your dad's ships, since Horizon inherited most of them. Was he CE on any of Sealand's ships?

The dumbest thing I heard about WA state ferries, from someone who spent time as an engineer on them, is that you're not really allowed to be seen by the passengers, who might get offended by someone with grease on your hands. So you spend the entire day or night below deck.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

incredibull posted:

Sealand turned into Horizon Lines and I work for them most of the time. I've probably worked on one of your dad's ships, since Horizon inherited most of them. Was he CE on any of Sealand's ships?

The dumbest thing I heard about WA state ferries, from someone who spent time as an engineer on them, is that you're not really allowed to be seen by the passengers, who might get offended by someone with grease on your hands. So you spend the entire day or night below deck.

I knew Sealand had turned into something, I still see Sealand/Maersk boxes pretty often. I was under the impression most of the management had ended up elsewhere, much like whatever happened with American (vice)President Lines.

The Innovator and Harriet I believe are the two I spent time as a rugrat on. I think my brother actually took his first steps on the Harriet, I don't know if that that is the correct spelling. In fact, that might not even have been a sealand ship as we're talking a long time ago and it looks like they've either renamed or gotten rid of any ships that I would recognize.

Not being seen by the passengers sounds pretty stupid, especially considering the deplorable condition most of the WSF boats are in, so it's not surprising in the slightest. I'd be embarrassed to show my face if I worked on them, and more so if I was in any way involved in the administration. Your chiefs aren't supposed to have to meet in the parking lot behind the terminal to swap spare parts so they can keep them running another week. An unrelated side note being that if you have difficulty procuring parts, ordering ten times the amount of what you need normally isn't much more difficult than just what you need, with the added bonus that you've now got bartering materials for what you couldn't order.

To contribute picturewise, since I've been a failure at that so far, I give you this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Elwha. Yes, in the wiki picture she looks fairly functional, but that's a temporary condition. She's about due to run aground, hit something, or catch fire any day now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drzrma posted:

To contribute picturewise, since I've been a failure at that so far, I give you this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Elwha. Yes, in the wiki picture she looks fairly functional, but that's a temporary condition. She's about due to run aground, hit something, or catch fire any day now.
Hahaha, oh poo poo:

quote:

After an investigation, Captain Charles Petersen was found to have violated four sections of the ferry system's Code of Conduct on July 25, 1996 when he took the Elwha 15 miles off her designated route... Along with being charged with putting his vessel, passengers, and crew in jeopardy with the unauthorized detour, Petersen also tested positive for Marijuana use during a urine test following the incident

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

There is literally no automotive problem big enough that the LS1/T56 cannot fix. :911:

Can you please stop using that lovely image hosting? Use Waffle or Tinypic or something.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Can you please stop using that lovely image hosting? Use Waffle or Tinypic or something.

All right.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

blambert posted:

Mhm, sorry should've put it there in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sayano-Shushenskaya_hydro_accident

Click here for the full 990x654 image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egeABBr5hyA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dp8Sdw5rY

It's pretty terrifying when you consider the fact that there were nearly 100 people present in or directly around the turbine house in the first video, with the entire force of all the water in the reservoir jetting up through the turbine spaces. They had no chance at all.

The account in the Wikipedia page from a survivor who managed to climb a ladder/stairwell and escape the accident was pretty sobering.

I hate to think that the same sort of things could begin happening in this country if we decrease funding for maintenance.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 3, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rocket_350 posted:

How did I miss hearing about that? That's epic. There is a bunch of video of this as it happened on Youtube. The first one is a compilation of CCTV footage, it even shows a wall of water engulfing a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dp8Sdw5rY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cHMS_7oqvI&feature=related
Seeing the guy run up to the gate while the driver was trying to leave reassures me that I'm not the only idiot whose first reaction to a disaster I can't possibly do anything about is to grab a camera and run toward it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Hahahaha, I love how at the 45 second mark, the guy is all like, "this electronically controlled boom gate wont go up!"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Hahaha, oh poo poo: Petersen also tested positive for Marijuana use during a urine test following the incident

God forbid he smoked that joint in the past 30 days... urine, pffft. Hold him down and swap his mouth when the poo poo happens - or leave him alone.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Sockington posted:

God forbid he smoked that joint in the past 30 days... urine, pffft. Hold him down and swap his mouth when the poo poo happens - or leave him alone.

well and this did happen in the seattle area, where pretty much everyone would fail a piss test for weed. not that I would know or anything.....

I was pretty scarred when I saw the condition of the washington state ferries below decks. When I used to do commercial flooring, we did all of the floors for them, and the ghetto rigging was pretty god drat scary. I thought my dads boat(100ft steel slamon tender) had some ghetto rigging going on, but that put us to shame. I pretty much refuse to ride on the ferries now.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
The thing about that blown-up Russian hydroelectric plant that gets me is what the actual problem turned out to be (besides that the 29 year, 10 month old turbine had a 30-year designed working life): the enormous turbine, weighing more than 1 thousand tons, was unbalanced in its spin.

How much off-center, you ask? A few inches? Half an inch? less??

0.84mm.

:psyduck:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I suppose this could go here:

That's the oil pan pickup for a subaru. Needless to say the bearings weren't doing so well.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

orange lime posted:

The thing about that blown-up Russian hydroelectric plant that gets me is what the actual problem turned out to be (besides that the 29 year, 10 month old turbine had a 30-year designed working life): the enormous turbine, weighing more than 1 thousand tons, was unbalanced in its spin.

How much off-center, you ask? A few inches? Half an inch? less??

0.84mm.

:psyduck:

Yep and although that doesn't seem like much, imagine 1,000 tons being slammed in either direction by almost a milimeter several times every second. It's incredible that the engineers just thought that this wouldn't be a big deal, and that they allowed assembly bolts to go missing or crack completely through.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Want to see what that exploded turbine looks like after some good Russian snow?

http://englishrussia.com/?p=9812

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Want to see what that exploded turbine looks like after some good Russian snow?

http://englishrussia.com/?p=9812

I'm sorry, while reading that link I seem to have found something useful to goons...

You're welcome :frogbon:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I like the way you would think it's a .gif, but it's just a .jpeg.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I like the way you would think it's a .gif, but it's just a .jpeg.

It's actually a link on that website, I'm just not going to spam it on here. Not looking for a banhammer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PurpleFender posted:

...take pictures of them with hidden cameras.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

PurpleFender posted:

I'm sorry, while reading that link I seem to have found something useful to goons...

You're welcome :frogbon:

Girl on the left runs a glass cutting business?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
With aerospace engineering, it's usually taken as a given that it's best to learn from someone else's mistakes. As such, the training information you get presented at seminars etc often contains some absolute gold.

Training Presentation posted:

A KC-135 Aircraft was being pressurized at ground level. The outflow valves which are used to regulate the pressure of the aircraft were capped off during a 5 year overhaul and never opened back up. The post-investigation revealed: that a civilian depot technician who, "had always done it that way," was using a homemade gauge, and no procedure.

The technician's gauge didn't even have a max "peg" for the needle and so it was no surprise he missed it when the needle went around the gauge the first time. As the technician continued to pressurize the aircraft, and as the needle was on its second trip around the gauge the aircraft went "boom" - the rear hatch was blown over 70 yards away, behind a blast fence!

And this is what a tiny crack in a turbine component can do:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Boeing 777 wing tested to failure (good stuff starts at 2:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe9PVaFGl3o

grover fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 5, 2010

sndgeek
Aug 7, 2007
ears of gold
oldie but goodie...didn't see this in the last bunch of pages.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is pretty funny......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGzsjFa-fQ

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
God, I can smell it from here.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Francis Baconator posted:

I plan to periodically check this mans Facebook since we seem to have run him out of AI.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ElehemEare posted:

I plan to periodically check this mans Facebook since we seem to have run him out of AI.

What the bleeding gently caress did he do to it that he requires a full block *AND* both turbos? Head on into a girder or something? Jeezus.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
He was playing u boat commander with a leased bmw. The thread is amusing. He is smarter then us because he can afford to lease a bmw.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Elephanthead posted:

He was playing u boat commander with a leased bmw. The thread is amusing. He is smarter then us because he can afford to lease a bmw.

Throw me a bone to the thread? I do have archives.

But yes, water does make sense now to explain both turbos and the block.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
Its on the first page, a couple of threads under this one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3262267

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sponge! posted:

What the bleeding gently caress did he do to it that he requires a full block *AND* both turbos? Head on into a girder or something? Jeezus.
As sacre said. Captain, we are shipping water. Full astern both, prepare to come about!

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
I love that you can almost hear the giant gulp as the car went nose-first into what he called a "puddle"

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
I often point out that when the seagulls stop floating and start walking, it's time to come about.

In a similar vein, when the trashcans are floating, unless you've got a snorkel, it's time to pull up google maps and find another way home.

The KC-135 pictures are amazing, I wouldn't have guessed you could do that.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

drzrma posted:

The KC-135 pictures are amazing, I wouldn't have guessed you could do that.

I'm just curious as to where the nimrod who was pressurizing the thing was at the time, and whether or not the concussive force from the plane blowing the gently caress up took out both of his eardrums or not.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Low pressure, high volume; like a rescue airbag. He was probably fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boat posted:

I'm just curious as to where the nimrod who was pressurizing the thing was at the time
Nah, it's a KC-135, not a Nimrod! :hurr:
Nimrods are the patrol/reconnaissance aircraft built by BAE

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

leica posted:

This is pretty funny......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGzsjFa-fQ

What is going on here? What is happening when the filter looks like it's burning up? Is that oil squirting out and then getting sucked back in/being burned off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

orange lime posted:

What is going on here? What is happening when the filter looks like it's burning up? Is that oil squirting out and then getting sucked back in/being burned off?

I dunno but if he took that stupid breather filter off and reconnected the PCV it probably wouldn't blow by so much.