Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's just pretty funny because I know those guys fairly closely and didn't think anyone knew who the hell they were. The fact that people DO know is awesome, but I never expected it.

Yeah actually now that I think about it, you and that other guy mentioning them pretty much doubles the other people I know who have heard of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I have no idea what their new singer, Omar sounds like over their original singer, Matt. But their music is pretty groovy and heavy.

The bassist plays guitar in a band called Revenance who are also seriously heavy and awesome. Traitorous Leopard, you should check them out. http://www.myspace.com/revenance

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Wow you weren't kidding, eh. That sure is heavy ha.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Business Raptor posted:

Yeah actually now that I think about it, you and that other guy mentioning them pretty much doubles the other people I know who have heard of them...

prepare to have your mind blown because I have also known about them for quite some time

AND.....

so have many other people

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I have definitely listened to a small portion of one of their songs before (the name clicked with me as soon as I had read it - I knew I heard it somewhere), but I never really gave them a full listen.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

krustster posted:

prepare to have your mind blown because I have also known about them for quite some time

AND.....

so have many other people

I would assume so. My mind has refrained from being blown.

And yeah, they pretty bad regardless.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Bringing this thread back with a pretty awesome song :v:

Sea of Treacher/At Daggers Drawn - To Bree or not to Bree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9e2Xj0PE8w
I listen to this song sometimes when I'm playing WoW :3:

Also, when is the HtB thing?

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 27, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I've gotten really into Cephalic Carnage lately. They are super heavy, but what I love most is some of the completely insane, experimental interludes and riffs they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G14u64D-Sc&feature=related 2:12 is my fav part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVdSpt39OE

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
So Salt the Wound has broken up and are doing their last tour now. Definitely going to see them, I hope they are good live as well.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Same with Straight Reads the Line.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

For anyone who gives a gently caress:

Lower Definition new band Promo

Wickacha
Jul 31, 2004
this is where it's at
I've never heard Lower Definition before but I'm checking them out now and they sound pretty sweet.

I'm definitely very upset with Straight Reads the Line breaking up. I saw them play all of The Author live last year and it was amazing! Only like 15 people at the show too. My plan is to catch atleast 3 of the shows on the goodbye tour this month! They're playing with a fairly decent band Kingdoms as well so they should be some good shows for sure.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

I guess they closed the Live Show sub-forum. Anyway posting this here.

Last night was the second time I had seen Between the Buried and Me play live while headlining. Both times I've seen them they have had fantastic openers and overall great bang for the buck show. Last time I saw them Behold... the Arctopus was opening and this time it was Scale the Summit, Cynic, and Devin Townsend Project.

That all being said, BTBAM has the worst loving fans in all of existence. No other show that I've seen live has had so many people booing the openers and trying to heckle them. (Not even local bands, not that its in any way better or OK to do it but I've come to expect it when local talent is playing.) gently caress you and gently caress off.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

I saw Straight Reads the Line a few years ago and they were really good, and then I saw them last year and they were just as good. I'll probably see them when they come to London this month on their breakup tour thing, I forget when it is.

When I saw them the first time it was only about 15 people, too. Then again it was in Belleville, Ontario at a lovely bar, and the Holly Springs Disaster were supposed to headline.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

flare posted:

Last night was the second time I had seen Between the Buried and Me play live while headlining. Both times I've seen them they have had fantastic openers and overall great bang for the buck show. Last time I saw them Behold... the Arctopus was opening and this time it was Scale the Summit, Cynic, and Devin Townsend Project.

I tried to see these guys in San Francisco on this current tour and the venue sold out. I haven't seen Slims sell out in a long drat time, so good for them.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Saw them live for the first time last week and with the exception of the lead guitar dropping out for like five minutes right at the beginning of the set, it was a loving sick show.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

flare posted:

That all being said, BTBAM has the worst loving fans in all of existence. No other show that I've seen live has had so many people booing the openers and trying to heckle them. (Not even local bands, not that its in any way better or OK to do it but I've come to expect it when local talent is playing.) gently caress you and gently caress off.

This is hardcore (well, BTBAM used to be hardcore.. anyway). Suck it up, Nancy.

It makes me feel so :smug: that people are just seeing them for the first time so recently when I remember when they first formed the band together rocking out to demos.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

flare posted:

If anyone there was booing Cynic then I hope you murdered them for the good of humanity.

quote:

It makes me feel so that people are just seeing them for the first time so recently when I remember when they first formed the band together rocking out to demos.

So would you say that you liked them before they were popular?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is hardcore (well, BTBAM used to be hardcore.. anyway). Suck it up, Nancy.

It makes me feel so :smug: that people are just seeing them for the first time so recently when I remember when they first formed the band together rocking out to demos.

I've been to hardcore shows before, this was just high school angst. It doesn't make you edgy or cool to shout out heckles, just a huge tool. Make better music than said band or go away.

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 5, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Both BTBAM shows I went to, the crowd was very respectful of the bands other than BTBAM

even though last time there were five bands before BTBAM and most of them sucked balls (three Jacksonville local bands, Veil of Maya all sucked. Animals as Leaders was pretty cool.), there was only one or two guys actively heckling.

The worst part was the windmills, spinkicks etc. for all the opening bands. I feel like that poo poo is heckling in dance form, personally, but I don't know what it's intended to be.

speaking of BTBAM, The Great Misdirect has become rather disappointing, now that a substantial amount of time has passed, I just never feel like listening to any song from it except Disease, Injury, Madness

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

the Bunt posted:

(three Jacksonville local bands, Veil of Maya all sucked.

Veil of Maya does not suck.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

the Bunt posted:

The worst part was the windmills, spinkicks etc. for all the opening bands. I feel like that poo poo is heckling in dance form, personally, but I don't know what it's intended to be.

Um, basically its "intended" to jam out to the music and hit people? Its not that complex, really

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Stoic Commie posted:

Veil of Maya does not suck.

most of the people at the show would agree with you too. I don't know what to say except I think they do?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

the Bunt posted:

most of the people at the show would agree with you too. I don't know what to say except I think they do?

Theres nothing wrong with personal taste but people who boo/heckle are complete jackasses and armchair musicians.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

flare posted:

Theres nothing wrong with personal taste but people who boo/heckle are complete jackasses and armchair musicians.

Pretty much.

The only time I could see it being somewhat called for if the musicians were clearly drunk and loving up the performance.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

-Atom- posted:

The only time I could see it being somewhat called for if the musicians were clearly drunk and loving up the performance.
You are completely missing the point of rock and roll.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Spiral posted:

I'm talking about your typical local band opening the show.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Spiral posted:

To be fair that sounds more hair metal than anything.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

How else do you dance at hardcore shows :confused:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1221654357032700278&ei=F85sS8SSEo-EqQKq0tnBBg&q=hardcore+dancing

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Spiral posted:

this is why we are posting in this thread instead of a rock and roll thread I guess

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Spiral posted:

XxsXexX bitch

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

eh. It WAS a modern day BTBAM show. I wasn't expecting literally every single opening band except one to be horrifically generic breakdown showcases I guess.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Traitorous Leopard posted:

XxsXexX bitch
haha yeah that poo poo is so loving lame.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

eh. It WAS a modern day BTBAM show. I wasn't expecting literally every single opening band except one to be horrifically generic breakdown showcases I guess.

First you say that you felt the dancing for the opening bands was heckling, but then you admit they were all generic breakdown bands that attract this kind of dancing. Get your story straight, son.

edit: Speaking of generic breakdown bands, I've been listening to Chelsea Grin a lot lately. They're painfully cliche but they're heavy and it's been helping me get out of a funk I've been in. Just makes me want to go to a show and ruin everyone's day.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Chelsea Grin suck. Personal opinion.

And dancing and shows are two words that really shouldn't go together. Now THAT'S not rock and roll.

I've been listening to some Brazen Bull recently, this grindcore-esque band. The vocalist is pretty intense for anyone who likes that kind of poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Not that I give a poo poo about credibility, but I saw Chelsea Grin headline a local show over Those Who Lie Beneath. Never heard either of them before. TWLB really impressed me, CG made me :rolleyes: but jamming out to them is fun.

And if not "dance" what word would you use?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I like Chelsea Grin, they are very heavy :cool:

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

I was just joking about the dance thing.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

whatever happened to that HtB Q/A?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Mike Justian has rejoined The Red Chord. Stoked. Not that Brad was bad, not at all, but Mike definitely has his own thing going on.