Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

deviant. posted:

I dunno but if he took that stupid breather filter off and reconnected the PCV it probably wouldn't blow by so much.

But then it wouldn't be mad tyte...yo

:rice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

orange lime posted:

What is going on here? What is happening when the filter looks like it's burning up? Is that oil squirting out and then getting sucked back in/being burned off?

He lost the rings in one of the pistons and the pressure is pushing oil out the breather. Reconnecting the PCV isn't going to help it haha.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Pictures from work. What happens when a crane operator tries to stick a 40-foot container into a hole meant for a 20-foot container? The question that everybody has always pondered. IT HAPPEN.

Hours later...

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Metal looks so soft when it is under so much pressure

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.
This answers the question of what happens when you try to lift 2 20-foot containers as if lifting a single 40-foot container. If only the two containers weren't filled with liquids.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

teh jhey posted:

I love that you can almost hear the giant gulp as the car went nose-first into what he called a "puddle"

And people wonder why I'd be clapping and cheering if LA disappeared in a flash of light (in the 50/100 megaton range)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

incredibull posted:

Pictures from work. What happens when a crane operator tries to stick a 40-foot container into a hole meant for a 20-foot container? The question that everybody has always pondered. IT HAPPEN.

There is a reason it says "Contents of package may settle in shipping"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So how often do containers get hosed up? It can't happen much as a percentage, can it?

I have no pretty pictures, this is a strange month & nothing has broken at work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

May I be so bold as to request a container thread? Both disasters and normally working with them. Since they can be put on axles and trucked around, I'd say it fits in the AI spectrum.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

meatpimp posted:

May I be so bold as to request a container thread? Both disasters and normally working with them. Since they can be put on axles and trucked around, I'd say it fits in the AI spectrum.

Make one and if you don't get banned then it's a success.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

So how often do containers get hosed up? It can't happen much as a percentage, can it?

I have no pretty pictures, this is a strange month & nothing has broken at work.

100 million containers per year.
10,000 at lost at sea (reported... according to some sources, it could be 5x that)

So...0.1% are lost at sea. Maybe its as high as .5%, but thats a LOT of containers. The worst thing is that, depending on whats inside, they can remain "floating" (usually just barely above the surface) for weeks. Major loving navigation hazard. I've seen one when we were at sea out near NJ. Maersk SeaLand container, with about 2" of freeboard. scary poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jack the Smack posted:

Make one and if you don't get banned then it's a success.

Eh, I've got nothing to add about containers, just find them curious and fascinating.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

So...0.1% are lost at sea. Maybe its as high as .5%, but thats a LOT of containers. The worst thing is that, depending on whats inside, they can remain "floating" (usually just barely above the surface) for weeks. Major loving navigation hazard.
I imagine it's a seriously bad thing to come across in a small vessel, but I'd have thought that for an ocean-going ship, hitting a lightly-loaded (hence still buoyant) cargo container would be like a car hitting an empty coke can.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

I imagine it's a seriously bad thing to come across in a small vessel, but I'd have thought that for an ocean-going ship, hitting a lightly-loaded (hence still buoyant) cargo container would be like a car hitting an empty coke can.

Not really. "lightly loaded" still means it weighs 10K# or more. Sharp bits and lot of water behind the container=punctured hull.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

sharkytm posted:

100 million containers per year.
10,000 at lost at sea (reported... according to some sources, it could be 5x that)

So...0.1% are lost at sea. Maybe its as high as .5%, but thats a LOT of containers. The worst thing is that, depending on whats inside, they can remain "floating" (usually just barely above the surface) for weeks. Major loving navigation hazard. I've seen one when we were at sea out near NJ. Maersk SeaLand container, with about 2" of freeboard. scary poo poo.
Archaeologists of the future will thank us.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

sharkytm posted:

I guess in comparison to the total number of containers shipped, it's not a huge percent. But I am actually shocked to hear that many containers are simply lost at sea. Does that happen simply by a boat tilting enough and they just fall off, or rogue wave etc...?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I'd be willing to bet that many are "lost" rather than lost, because no one wants their contents to be found

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Imagine, a whole society of refugees living at the bottom of the sea in their shipping containers.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

scapulataf posted:

Imagine, a whole society of refugees living at the bottom of the sea in their shipping containers.

Biocrate.

subaccord04
Jan 30, 2005

Random Juxtaposition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkHTkmj2_U

Back to the almighty Diesel.

One of the comments, not mine. Edited for spelling and grammar.

"Whats amazing is to have a truck come in with a BROKEN PISTON and connecting rod. It DROVE in, with decent power."

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I wish I had pictures of this, but the same ship that I posted above had a container drop into an empty hatch, punched a hole in the double-bottom hull, and proceeded to spill its contents of paint through the damaged container directly into the hull. Took two days to repair and get the USCG to certify that the ship wasn't now a sailing toxic mess (any more than they already are), which is a ginormous delay in the container biz.

There was a container knocked off of another slip in Port of Tacoma shortly before I began working in the area. It landed on a longshoreman :(

I've never seen a container accident myself and I've seen thousands of these things loaded/unloaded now. There's a good reason that crane operators make serious bank, but they can gently caress up just like anybody else.

This just happened to one of our ships this week. During 30 foot seas and 50MPH winds the bow went into the water on a hard roll to port. An entire stack of containers toppled over like dominoes, and 6 went into the sea.

meatpimp posted:

Go check out http://www.cargolaw.com/gallery.html It's an awful site, but has a huge amount of incredible shipping accidents on it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to poo poo up the thread with shipping stuff. I don't know how much of it really qualifies as mechanical failure.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 7, 2010

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I can't understand the forces at play that are holding the top red container on that stack from falling over the edge.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hope there weren't any rare cars in those containers :ohdear:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

ElehemEare posted:

I can't understand the forces at play that are holding the top red container on that stack from falling over the edge.

They're still strapped together and to the deck with steel lashings.

leica posted:

I hope there weren't any rare cars in those containers

Can't find it now, but there's a pretty good photo that circulated around a while back of a car container (4 cars) loaded up with a few new Z4s that got knocked off the side of a ship onto the dock.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

subaccord04 posted:

"Whats amazing is to have a truck come in with a BROKEN PISTON and connecting rod. It DROVE in, with decent power."

Holy snap that dude's youtube rules. I'm going to be watching this all next week I'm sure.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

subaccord04 posted:

The Fubar videos were great. Showing how stupidity prevails. After watching a handful of random videos, I have learned a decent amount about diesels themselves, and the entire PowerStroke line.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

There actually was a container thread, I think it was last year or late 2008? Of course that's forever in internet terms. I don't think it got too far beyond talking about using them as buildings.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That cargolaw site is indeed terrible (it even has *embedded music* on random pages), but those are some awesome photos. Ever wonder what it looks like when an Airbus gets hit by a shoulder-launched missile?

There used to be an engine just to the left of that maintenance scaffold.

Some others:

That last one is a ship full of fireworks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DefaultPeanut posted:

The Fubar videos were great. Showing how stupidity prevails. After watching a handful of random videos, I have learned a decent amount about diesels themselves, and the entire PowerStroke line.
It's the way the guy enunciates, too. The descriptions of how owners have abused kit has a great "You are one stupid motherfucker son" ring to it.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

sharkytm posted:

I've seen one when we were at sea out near NJ. Maersk SeaLand container, with about 2" of freeboard. scary poo poo.

I'd so try and figure a way to salvage one in secret.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I don't think you need to be secretive...doesn't that fall under salvage?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Frank Dillinger posted:

I don't think you need to be secretive...doesn't that fall under salvage?
Salvage isn't really a "keep what you catch" situation, though. Technically you have to claim a percentage-value reward for rescuing someone else's property. In UK waters, at least, cargo remains the property of the original owner.

Luckily, if you're shipping a car in a container, the "total loss" insurance for when the container goes for a swim in the drink isn't expensive, but apparently damage insurance is a complete arse to organise.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

fist4jesus posted:

I'd so try and figure a way to salvage one in secret.

Even a 20" half full of water would weigh like 18 tonnes? you'd need a pretty big boat to contemplate it, unless you just wanted to tow it back to port & borrow a crane there. Then you open it & find 25 Chinese bodies, not the 1908 Jag you were hoping for.

It'd be kinda fun if money were no object, just playing gigantic ocean lucky-dip. Get boring soon?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Salvage isn't really a "keep what you catch" situation, though. Technically you have to claim a percentage-value reward for rescuing someone else's property. In UK waters, at least, cargo remains the property of the original owner.

Luckily, if you're shipping a car in a container, the "total loss" insurance for when the container goes for a swim in the drink isn't expensive, but apparently damage insurance is a complete arse to organise.

This isn't the UK and it's prize system! This is pirates of deep water! Arrrrrr!

Yeah, the can isn't going to weigh that much floating around, because it's well, floating, not going to be light, but max gross on those cans are higher than what we can haul on the interstates, so if it's really heavy, it's playing with Davy Jones.

This is dumpster diving played on Nightmare mode.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At first it might seem weird that the diesel guy types the titles and descriptions in all caps, but not when you realize he speaks in all caps as well.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

That last one is a ship full of fireworks.

It's so tragically festive! :zoid:

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

InitialDave posted:

It's the way the guy enunciates, too. The descriptions of how owners have abused kit has a great "You are one stupid motherfucker son" ring to it.

fourteen thousand dollars!! FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

orange lime posted:

I hate Jetways too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jorsh posted:

fourteen thousand dollars!! FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!
If it's a work truck, you can bet that the boss/fleet manager is like that when he has the driver responsible in the office.

:argh: FOURteen thousand dollars! FourTEEN thousand dollars! Fourteen THOUSAND dollars! Fourteen thousand DOLLARS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se5eAiWEUAQ
'Let me tell you something about that'

This guy is awesome.