Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Funeral Mist posted:

The new Darkthrone is entitled "Circle The Wagons" and is going to be released April 6th. I'm pretty anxious to hear it. Makes two of black metal's classic bands releasing album within a month of each other!

"I Am The Graves Of The 80s" sounds like an awesome song title.

Not sure about "I am the Working Class" though. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Funeral Mist posted:

The new Darkthrone is entitled "Circle The Wagons" and is going to be released April 6th. I'm pretty anxious to hear it. Makes two of black metal's classic bands releasing album within a month of each other!

I'm pretty excited for this album.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belus/dp/B0036Y88YW?tag=darklegions-20

Burzum - Belus samples

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Username/post combo

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

What the gently caress, those Burzum clips sound a lot better than I expected. Thanks for the link.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!

deltawing posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belus/dp/B0036Y88YW?tag=darklegions-20

Burzum - Belus samples

I'm not particularly impressed, but then again it's hard to judge from 30 second clips. Sverddans is really different from the others though... that must be the Uruk-hai song. Sounds like a second "War".

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Wow, now I'm really excited for the new burzum. I wanna hear what they sound like when they are good quality not lovely 64kbps amazon stream quality.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Caerus posted:

I'm not particularly impressed, but then again it's hard to judge from 30 second clips. Sverddans is really different from the others though... that must be the Uruk-hai song. Sounds like a second "War".

I'm not too impressed, either. I'm not going to judge them since the clips are short and low quality, but I don't see this comparing to Burzum's old poo poo. It'll be interesting to hear the full album, though.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
That Introduction hits hard.

Anyhow it sounds like its gonna be pretty good.

Victim of Changes
Jan 5, 2010

Black Magic
I think that all of the Burzum samples sound like they have potential, except for the intro, which is fairly generic.

Caerus posted:

Much like "War" (which was obviously inspired by Root's "Píseň pro Satana," which happens to resemble and was likely based off of "Necromansy" by Bathory), "Sverddans" sounds like a Root song, although the vocal performance on "War" made this much harder to notice.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Anyone heard this Thou/Leech split? Can you recommend me anything else from Thou?

edit: they're more sludge i guess nevermind

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
What the gently caress happened to Varg's vocals!? They were the best part of Burzum! No black metal disc in the 20 or so years since the Burzum S/T has come close to those awesome shrieks - and now suddenly Varg has gone all generic on us :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just woke up this morning to see that Mayhem canceled their entire North American tour for unknown reasons at this point. What a load of loving poo poo.

EDIT: Also those Burzum samples sound amazing -- glad he's back in the game. :D

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 5, 2010

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Just woke up this morning to see that Mayhem canceled their entire North American tour for unknown reasons at this point. What a load of loving poo poo.

That sucks. Where did you get this information? I'm supposed to see them on April 1st, I'd like to know if that gig is cancelled too.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I'm really not a fan of any Burzum, so no change there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The promoter in our city just updated the FB event about it. I'll paste what they said below.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=310399458451

quote:

There's no easy way to tell this tale friends.

Mayhem have pulled out of the entire North American tour. No explanation from the band at this point, just a bewildered agent and an equally confused promoter delivering this news to you.

Keep your eyes on Mayhem's online portals for whatever explanation they come up with. I have no answers.

REFUNDS:
Obtainable at point of purchase. I am sorry about this folks, but if you want a refund you'll have to head back down to Into the Music or Music Trader to exchange them.
Credit card orders on ticketworkshop.com will be credited tomorrow and will be presumably posted to your accounts after the weekend.

This kind of mysterious cancellation was seemingly more common years back, which is why some of the older metal dudes seem to be reticent to make a serious investment with time and money in buying their tickets in advance. That makes my blood boil. loving MAYHEM...

The cancellation is bound to create some bad blood for the fire drill we're all going through, but I will remind everyone that this hasn't happened since Enslaved turned tail last year under similar circumstances. The business of touring metal has solidified, but you need an artist to uphold their end of the bargain to make everything work. With no explanation, Mayhem are looking like clowns on this. Without some sort of reasonable explanation, there's no reason to suggest the tour is postponed or will be rescheduled. It's all over.

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm and support for this event. In the meantime, I'll go back to the drawing board to see if I can top this in 2010.

Yours,
Sam
Team Royal Albert Arms

And on the same note, gently caress Immmortal's promoters and their "north american tour" in 4 goddamn cities.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Glemselens Elv and Keliohesten sound awesome. I'm pleasantly surprised that he returned to his roots after all this MIDI ambient stuff.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

NATO posted:

Glemselens Elv and Keliohesten sound awesome. I'm pleasantly surprised that he returned to his roots after all this MIDI ambient stuff.

To be fair, he wasn't allowed any other instruments or recording equipment in jail.

Victim of Changes
Jan 5, 2010

Black Magic

AgentJotun posted:

What the gently caress happened to Varg's vocals!? They were the best part of Burzum! No black metal disc in the 20 or so years since the Burzum S/T has come close to those awesome shrieks - and now suddenly Varg has gone all generic on us :(

He toned down his vocals on Filosofem, so this isn't a surprise given that these samples sou d more like that album than anything else that he's released. You also have to remember that he isn't exactly young anymore, so it's no shock that he doesn't quite have the same level of vocal ferocity as he did 18 years ago.

Victim of Changes fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 5, 2010

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Oops...nevermind this post, apparently Mayhem has canceled more than one US tour.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Not Very Metal posted:

~darkthrone album~

I'm pretty excited for this album.

loving A! I just learned to play Too Old Too Cold and FOAD, can't wait to hear if there's something I can do on the new one.

Vintersorg posted:

And on the same note, gently caress Immmortal's promoters and their "north american tour" in 4 goddamn cities.

gently caress them indeed but I'm tempted to make the trek to NYC to see them. I can't believe we'll get too many more chances to see them :black101:

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

AgentJotun posted:

Dude Varg is like 40 now and I doubt he was Shrieking much in Prison.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Plasma1010 posted:

Dude Varg is like 40 now and I doubt he was Shrieking much in Prison.

I refuse to believe a norwegian prison isn't grim or frostbitten

If the morning call isn't blastbeats, the whole of norway has to take a bullet out of its belt :colbert:

edit: and icicles are the currency instead of smokes

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2010

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbid Florist posted:

gently caress them indeed but I'm tempted to make the trek to NYC to see them. I can't believe we'll get too many more chances to see them :black101:

Found out a friend of mine is seeing them in their two Canadian dates. I told him to get me a tour shirt and I can pretend I saw em. :(

Curse him for having a career and im stuck in school for now. :mad:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
30 second samples, but track #5 and #8 sound pretty good from what I heard.

Gonna have to agree he sounds a little rusty on the vocals tho.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

I refuse to believe a norwegian prison isn't grim or frostbitten

If the morning call isn't blastbeats, the whole of norway has to take a bullet out of its belt :colbert:

edit: and icicles are the currency instead of smokes

I don't think it's that grim, frostbitten, or anything, haha. He got to walk around his city and hang out with his kid.

Maybe if it was in an ice vault, his vocals would be up to par.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Kaiho posted:

To be fair, he wasn't allowed any other instruments or recording equipment in jail.
True, I just assumed he would continue to work with synths when he got out regardless. Didn't he write long rants about how metal in general was degenerated negro music and he wasn't considering himself a part of the metal scene anymore?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress do they think they are, Iron Maiden?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I'm probably seeing Immortal in Toronto, the ticket is $55 though. Is this normal?

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2010

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

NATO posted:

True, I just assumed he would continue to work with synths when he got out regardless. Didn't he write long rants about how metal in general was degenerated negro music and he wasn't considering himself a part of the metal scene anymore?

This is Varg, do you want him to stick to his guns? He changed his name to Quisling, for pete's sake.

(Har har, history joke)

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

NATO posted:

He retconned it later by saying that he would continue to do what he wanted regardless of what other people think they are doing it with him.

EDIT: Even if said people are homosexual wiggers.

Nova Bizzare fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 6, 2010

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

ElectricWizard posted:

I'm probably seeing Immortal with in Toronto, the ticket is $55 though. Is this normal?

See: Haggins post. Who do they think they are?!

No, I think Maiden is the only single-day (ie not a fest) show I've paid more than $25 for.

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

thepitgoddess posted:

This is Varg, do you want him to stick to his guns? He changed his name to Quisling, for pete's sake.

(Har har, history joke)
He did? (I get it btw)

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

NATO posted:

He did? (I get it btw)

I'm glad :) I think so. Pretty sure I read it in Lords Of Chaos.

According to wiki, he took the name for a short time.
In any case, it fits. Varg is a silly man.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
That was when he claimed to be a close relative of Vidkun himself.
Yeah, he's a nutjob.

Extra Fancy Semen
Jul 20, 2009

by mons all madden
i can excuse varg, he has done much in his last years to explain himself and come across as a person who has chosen radical poo poo in the past to get by for however long and then climbed out and made peace to be at a sane place...

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

thepitgoddess posted:

I'm glad :) I think so. Pretty sure I read it in Lords Of Chaos.

According to wiki, he took the name for a short time.
In any case, it fits. Varg is a silly man.
:ughh:

I wonder how he is like in real life. I can't help but imagine that behind his insanity he is a deeply boring person.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

thepitgoddess posted:

No, I think Maiden is the only single-day (ie not a fest) show I've paid more than $25 for.

I spent $100 to see Iron Maiden during their Somewhere Back in Time tour; it was worth it, too. I was center-stage, front row, for 2.5 hours of Maiden. Hands down, the best show I've ever seen.

On a more black metal note, I'm three tracks into the new Rotting Christ, and it's fantastic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Their last album, Theogonia, was great. Before that the only RC I heard was the album Khrono's and that was more industrial than what I heard later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

NATO posted:

:ughh:

I wonder how he is like in real life. I can't help but imagine that behind his insanity he is a deeply boring person.

Probably just a typical laid-back Scandinavian who enjoys his nature.

Has Varg ever gone public that he regrets the Euronymous killing ?