Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
This is a video from 2008. Its two years old and we've seen nothing from Symbian like this yet. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDeMURdKIY

duck snipe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alestes
Apr 23, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

This is a video from 2008. Its two years old and we've seen nothing from Symbian like this yet. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDeMURdKIY
Symbian^3 will have Freeway and Screenplay in it. So late 2010 as earliest.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Sony Ericsson Vivaz / Kurara news:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/20/sony-ericsson-vivaz-official-8-megapixels-worth-of-symbian/

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-kurara-en.shtml

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ovi Maps is now free.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Sony Vivaz looks interesting. If only it didn't have that goddamned Euro 3G.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Dr Tran posted:

Ovi Maps is now free.
This is great news!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/21/nokia-offering-free-turn-by-turn-navigation-on-smartphones-globa/

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Firmware V4 for the 5800 is pushing out around the world now.

quote:

Changelog for Firmware V40.0.005:
* Kinetic Scrolling
* New Home-Screen (like 5530)
* Auto rotation on text input
* Fixes minor bugs
* Performance improvements

http://www.tube5800.com/firmware-update-v40-brings-kinetic-scrolling-to-5800-finally/#more-3246

Can't wait for the new home screen.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

blunt posted:

Firmware V4 for the 5800 is pushing out around the world now.

http://www.tube5800.com/firmware-update-v40-brings-kinetic-scrolling-to-5800-finally/#more-3246

Can't wait for the new home screen.

Oh so only 4 months after I ditch the phone, and 7+ months after they said it would be coming out, they're adding kinetic scrolling and new home screen. Kinda wish my 5800 still worked so I could test it out for a day or two.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

No love for us older phone folks. Hopefully it'll come. :/

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Did SE finally get rid of that horrible charger interface? I can't tell from the pictures. I loved my last SE, but until they change to something more reasonable (Nokia has the right idea), I'll stick with the Nokia I have.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Civil posted:

Did SE finally get rid of that horrible charger interface? I can't tell from the pictures. I loved my last SE, but until they change to something more reasonable (Nokia has the right idea), I'll stick with the Nokia I have.

GSMArena says MicroUSB, which is potentially good. I don't see that crazy SE port in any of the photos:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_vivaz-3022.php

On the other hand, the good thing about that kind of port was that there wasn't anywhere for dust to get in like there is with the 3.5mm headphone jack on my N82.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just looked at the pictures. The headphone jack is on the side.
:ughh:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

HPL posted:

GSMArena says MicroUSB, which is potentially good. I don't see that crazy SE port in any of the photos:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_vivaz-3022.php

On the other hand, the good thing about that kind of port was that there wasn't anywhere for dust to get in like there is with the 3.5mm headphone jack on my N82.
Yeah, my n82 has the dust problem, but I don't think the 3.5mm jack has to mean that there's an air gap leading to the back of the screen.

Microusb charging is fine with me, though I still prefer Nokia's new small jack. I just hope you don't have to load special software to charge from a PC.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Civil posted:

Microusb charging is fine with me, though I still prefer Nokia's new small jack. I just hope you don't have to load special software to charge from a PC.

Why would you need special software? Doesn't USB provide 5v by default even if it's on a computer?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Not for all devices. It's really stupid.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Dr Tran posted:

Ovi Maps is now free.

Badass.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
:siren: Deal alert :siren:

Use coupon TTJDWP8LNRD$SP to get Nokia E72 for $329 at Dell http://nokb.ly/329e72 Exp 02/01

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

So, is the e72 really a downgrade from the e71? I know we were all excited when the e72 was announced, but after browsing the reviews on amazon, it seems like it took a turn for the worse, in terms of construction and software.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

v21 firmware seems to be available for all NAM N86 product codes, finally.

Theme effects are no longer laggy as poo poo, and actually look quite good, in addition to the UI being generally snappier. Camera also seems to focus a smidge faster than before. I wish it had shipped like this (but then maybe corpsed wouldn't have sold it to me)

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
N95 solves a rubix cube with legos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052JJGBxFH0

N97 v21 firmware out otday

Finally, a predictive text editor
http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2010/02/01/introducing-nokia-custom-dictionary-for-predictive-text

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Huh. Wow did they keep the E71 v400 release quiet. (Apparently it was two to three months ago. I did it on Friday.)

But then maybe people were just sick of half the phones not getting a release since 200 because Nokia forgot about them or lost the firmware to Licensing Hell or something.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Huh. Wow did they keep the E71 v400 release quiet. (Apparently it was two to three months ago. I did it on Friday.)

But then maybe people were just sick of half the phones not getting a release since 200 because Nokia forgot about them or lost the firmware to Licensing Hell or something.

I have a NAM version and I'm still suck on some older version. Anything worthy in the newer firmwares?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

voltron posted:

I have a NAM version and I'm still suck on some older version. Anything worthy in the newer firmwares?

http://www.sizzledcore.com/2009/11/30/nokia-e71-firmware-400-21-013-out/

Here's a changelog (although I think this is vs. v300). The one from 210 to 300 is here and 210 was basically a rebuild of 200.

Also: Nokia pretty much forgot about some product codes, even though they were physically identical to ones that get upgrades. Let me guess - 0569371?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 2, 2010

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

voltron posted:

People are saying 400 is way slower than 300. The general concensus seems to be to stick with 300.

Also look up a program called NSS, it lets you change your product numbers.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Nokia announces: "We're tired of writing firmware updates for your lovely old phone. Buy a new phone."

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Maybe if they bothered to get off their collective asses to write something unified and coherent we wouldn't have to worry about that poo poo.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
720P video sample from the Vivaz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNkCZqpYURg

It has a 1200 mah battery. I wonder if that would be enough for my daily needs.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Am I the only one that is getting turned off of buying a Nokia phone any time in the near future with this Symbian^3 talk? There's not much point in buying a high-end Symbian^1 phone because knowing Nokia, they'll drop it like a hot potato the instant Symbian^3 comes out. And then in the meanwhile, if we wait and buy a Symbian^3 phone, it'll be a whole lot of growing pains while Android and iPhone keeps on trucking.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

HPL posted:

Am I the only one that is getting turned off of buying a Nokia phone any time in the near future with this Symbian^3 talk? There's not much point in buying a high-end Symbian^1 phone because knowing Nokia, they'll drop it like a hot potato the instant Symbian^3 comes out. And then in the meanwhile, if we wait and buy a Symbian^3 phone, it'll be a whole lot of growing pains while Android and iPhone keeps on trucking.

After 2 Nokia phones, I dropped them because:

1) They treat the US like poo poo. Fine, we get it, we're the tiny market for once. It was fine when they were the most advanced smartphone maker, but they've fallen far behind in both hardware and software - nothing to get excited about at all.

2) Even in Europe, you're good for maybe 3 firmware updates before they drop you and say "Buy a new phone." Symbian^2 will run on the 5800 and N97, but they won't be releasing an update for current phone users.

3) Symbian shows its age. They're finally adding some modern features to the OS, and it's still lacking a lot. The hardware too - they FINALLY released a cap touchscreen phone, only a few years behind the rest.

4) Ovi store.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!
As of today, Symbian is open source. I wonder what this will lead to.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

torjus posted:

As of today, Symbian is open source. I wonder what this will lead to.
Absolutely nothing. I don't want to contribute anything to that platform. They're way too late; Android stole all the thunder. (and runs on an open-source darling, Linux)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Some quotes I enjoyed on the subject:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20100204/tc_nf/71467

quote:

"The basic problem that Nokia has with its bulk of ownership of Symbian is the quintessential issue. How do you license something to someone else when you are competing with them?" Gartenberg asked. "Will other handset vendors view even an open-source Symbian as still being primarily a Nokia product and part of the Nokia ecosystem? If so, they may not want to contribute."

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/2010/02/symbian-is-now-open-source.html

quote:

You might be saying, ‘but I thought Android was open source, too?‘. According to Lee Williams, only about 1/3 of the Android platform is open – the rest is closed off or proprietary. With Symbian being 100% open, developers have much more freedom and abilities.

Fat Man
Jul 22, 2003
(optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Casao posted:

1) They treat the US like poo poo. Fine, we get it, we're the tiny market for once. It was fine when they were the most advanced smartphone maker, but they've fallen far behind in both hardware and software - nothing to get excited about at all.

This is it in a nutshell.

When I started college in Sept 05, I wanted a cell phone that could be my PDA and ahve my schedule on the main screen of the phone, be an adequate camera for being out, and be my mp3 player as well.

Nokia was the only maker that fit these needs. I followed up that 6682 witha N73. Then the father of all modern smartphones the N95. Add in WiFi, GPS, 3G, Accelerometer, 5MP camera, standard headphone jack. I got the phone in August of 08 which was over a year after its release and it still had the best specs of any phone.

The problem is, now virtually ALL smartphones have all those features. So there's no real reason to stay with Nokia. My N95 recently died and I got a new Blackberry Bold 9700. Basically, the only hardware downgrade I have is a 3.2 camera. But its WiFi and Bluetooth handling are much better. That and I am paying $100 for it after rebate, as opposed to the $450 I'd have to drop on a Nokia.

I still wear my S60 shirt, I still have Symbian notepads. But Nokia's advantage has always been hardware, and its come to a point where they've run out of gadgets to include. I hope Nokia regains its dominance, and I'll be one of the few in America to own it I'm sure, but I don't see it happening at the moment.

The only thing I miss really is SportsTracker...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've always wondered what the reason is that Nokia is supporting three operating systems. I can understand s40, because they need something to stick on their feature phones, but it seems to me that if they try to split resources between Maemo and Symbian they will end up with two half assed products. I hope they prove me wrong because I really like Maemo.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Is anyone rocking the e65? Dell keeps putting it up for sale for $200, and it looks tempting. The only thing really holding me back is the 1000 mAh battery, seems like it would have a hard time making it through the day if you like to tinker with it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Civil posted:

Is anyone rocking the e65? Dell keeps putting it up for sale for $200, and it looks tempting. The only thing really holding me back is the 1000 mAh battery, seems like it would have a hard time making it through the day if you like to tinker with it.

You can find a lot of newer phones for $200

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Android is completely open (other than drivers from the manufacturers.) You can get the entire source code from AOSP.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Android is completely open (other than drivers from the manufacturers.) You can get the entire source code from AOSP.

Not really. AOSP is decidedly different from the Android on the phones - skip the Google apps and anything relating to drivers/hardware. It took till the Cyanogen thing before AOSP even compiled properly, and months after that before it could make a phone call on the ADP1. It's getting their now, but the majority of user interface for Android isn't open source.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Casao posted:

Not really. AOSP is decidedly different from the Android on the phones - skip the Google apps and anything relating to drivers/hardware. It took till the Cyanogen thing before AOSP even compiled properly, and months after that before it could make a phone call on the ADP1. It's getting their now, but the majority of user interface for Android isn't open source.

This is the real problem behind getting Android running on the n900. Getting all the backend stuff to work like the phone, sound and wifi just isn't there. I understand some progress is being made with the hacking community for the Milestone/Droid, seeing as the two devices are very similar from a hardware perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Google Maps 4.0 with Buzz now available

• Locked thread