Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
The Worst World Title Match of all time!!!!

*** stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Dylar Addict posted:

The Worst World Title Match of all time!!!!

*** stars.

Missed a minus there.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Skinty McEdger posted:

Missed a minus there.

Oh, figured that was a hyphen

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Either way it's still bullshit because he gave Hogan vs. Andre from WMIII -****

spergin bout star ratings itt

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Eh, I support the Goldberg vs Hogan title match on Nitro. Back then Nitro always still had an unpredictability factor. It seemed like all the time there were big events, injuries, debuts, etc taking place, and I thought Goldberg vs Hogan went along with that. It was also maybe the 2nd biggest match of all time (after Sting/Hogan) and it was great for the fans to not have to pay for it. Plus WCW back then used to treat Georgia Dome shows as if they were PPV's almost, and they were somethign special to look forward to.

*edit - Also just wanted to ask:

http://vodpod.com/watch/417924-goldberg-vs-hollywood-hogan

Will we ever see a crowd like that again at a wrestling event? Not just volume but insane excitement level. Fastforward to about 1:40.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Sting vs DDP for DDP's WCW Title. It was from April, not March so I had trouble finding it. This is a great, long TV match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRjAsdlwPU4

I stopped watching wrestling in like 2002, but I have always remembered this match and thought of it as the best match I'd ever seen.

Crowd reaction was so nuts and Sting looked so genuinely happy (he'd just come back from a long break and always had loved the crowd reaction).

MyStereoHasMono fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 5, 2010

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If they could do the Sting build up for 15 months, they could have saved Goldberg v. Hogan for a few months for Starcade. At least Goldberg would have stiffed Hogan and knocked him out if he tried to screw up the match.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

What's the constant in both those scenarios, BROTHER? TNA is sitting on a goldmine, JACK! Hogan/Hogan, biggest moneymaker of all-time, DUDE!

What is Horace up to nowadays...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Eh, I support the Goldberg vs Hogan title match on Nitro. Back then Nitro always still had an unpredictability factor. It seemed like all the time there were big events, injuries, debuts, etc taking place, and I thought Goldberg vs Hogan went along with that. It was also maybe the 2nd biggest match of all time (after Sting/Hogan) and it was great for the fans to not have to pay for it. Plus WCW back then used to treat Georgia Dome shows as if they were PPV's almost, and they were somethign special to look forward to.

Will we ever see a crowd like that again at a wrestling event? Not just volume but insane excitement level. Fastforward to about 1:40.

Great for the fans, sure. TERRIBLE for the company as they made not a loving dime off one of the big money matches they had left. It was a one-week ratings pop (and not even that significant a ratings boost if I remember right) and was done to show some Turner execs (who, lets face it, could give not a poo poo) how popular Hogan/WCW was. Except the Turner execs legitimately didnt care. In fact I remember reading somewhere that they either left before the main event or spent the entire night in the back so didnt see the excited fans. Something along those lines anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The reason Goldberg/Hogan didn't even pop a real rating was because it had a 3 day build and no real storyline, they announced it on the prior week's Thunder. It was originally a dark non-title match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SiKboy posted:

In fact I remember reading somewhere that they either left before the main event or spent the entire night in the back so didnt see the excited fans. Something along those lines anyway.

Bullshit, they were too busy rocking out at a :siren:NITRO PARTY!:siren:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jeffersonlives posted:

The reason Goldberg/Hogan didn't even pop a real rating was because it had a 3 day build and no real storyline, they announced it on the prior week's Thunder. It was originally a dark non-title match.

It's interesting to wonder what kind of buyrate Hogan vs. Goldberg at Starrcade would have drawn. WCW could have kept the belt on Hogan, did the Warrior angle that popped ratings for a few weeks, had Hogan face DDP at World War 3, Goldberg wins WW3, and then Hogan vs. Goldberg at Starrcade.

I honestly believe the draw and hype of Goldberg winning the WCW World Title at Starrcade would have righted the ship in WCW for a little longer. Not beat the WWF, but at least get the ratings closer. It would have given fans that "hope" kick they got when Sting beat Hogan.

This is all my own speculation, of course. The truth is, a well booked WCW in 1998 and 1999 may have never beaten the WWF, but it would never have caused a 2 point ratings gap which soon turned into a 4 point ratings gap.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Sting's build up wasn't that long, since they were initially building up Luger (who was insanely over, no really he was) for most of late 96/early 97. Around April they must have realised that they couldn't really do Luger/Sting later that year and gave Lex a small token run of a week that was never mentioned in case it made Sting/Hogan look less special.

Sting hating Luger for not trusting him being a play on nobody trusting Luger bar Sting when he debuted in 95. Of course this was all ignored too.

Lex Luger really is the unlucky Alf of wrestling.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Reading the history, I do understand the hate for Russo.

But there's one thing a lot of people don't remember, I'm assuming because nobody could stand to watch the product at the time:

WCW booked by Kevin Sullivan was loving horrible. Beginning in the late Spring is when he was booking, and the product they were putting out was easily worse than anything Russo ever did. For months main events were a cycle of Sid Vicious, Macho Man, Kevin Nash, Lex Luger, Sting, Ric Flair, and HULK Hogan. That's it.

Hogan and Macho Man couldnt wrestle worth a poo poo, and Sting's gimmick was just awful. In the Wolfpack Sting was more "energized" than his Crow gimmick, but he was still "cool" and barely talked. But during this time period we got a balding Sting whose promos looked like they hadnt evolved a bit since 1990. "Iiiiits showtime, folks!" made its first appearance during this time. Awful. Luger also got a haircut started wearing spandex underwear tights again instead of the jeans he wore in the Wolfpack. Not saying Sullivan made him do that, just saying his look contributed to my perception that WCW contained a bunch of dorks whose personalities were stuck in the early 90s.

Maybe Russo made terrible decisions like Arquete and Abbott but his TV was miles more entertaining than that awful period where Sullivan was booking Sid Vicious and Macho Man main events.

*edit - Oh yeah forgot Rick Steiner was heavily involved in main event-type matches during this period too.

MyStereoHasMono fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 7, 2010

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I agree that Sullivan's booking was terrible, but wasn't it in Winter 2000, to early Spring 2000 that he was the head booker? You seem to be talking about things from 1999. I could very well be wrong.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 7, 2010

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I agree that Sullivan's booking was terrible, but wasn't it in Winter 2000, to early Spring 2000 that he was the head booker? You seem to be talking about things from 1999. I could very well be wrong.

Yeah I am talking about 1999. Spring Stampede 1999 was the last good PPV WCW had. After that is when this period I'm talking about began. I always thought it was Sullivan at the time, maybe I'm wrong, but my point remains that after this period, Russo coming in was a very welcome change to me.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
New Blood Rising is on 24/7 and if you want a really good sampling of all the things that made WCW unwatchable in 2000 that's a pretty good place to start.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Maybe Russo made terrible decisions like Arquete and Abbott but his TV was miles more entertaining than that awful period where Sullivan was booking Sid Vicious and Macho Man main events.

Take that back. I loved Tank with 3 Count.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TenaciousJ posted:

Take that back. I loved Tank with 3 Count.

I think he's referring to Russo's idea to have Tank win the title.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really don't blame Sullivan that much for his run in 2000. It was really bad, but when 4 of your best workers leave and several other wrestlers sit on the side lines (including Sting) you are going to have some awful TV.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MyStereoHasMono posted:

WCW booked by Kevin Sullivan was loving horrible.
The only time I ever stopped watching WCW was during Sullivan's reign. I sat through so much loving horrible bullshit, then one day I saw The Dog (Al Greene on a leash, literally acting like he thought he was a dog) taken seriously in a match. I stopped watching until about a month before Russo came back. Sullivan's loving terrible.

The reign you're thinking of, however, belongs to Nash. 1999 from February to September.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

The only time I ever stopped watching WCW was during Sullivan's reign. I sat through so much loving horrible bullshit, then one day I saw The Dog (Al Greene on a leash, literally acting like he thought he was a dog) taken seriously in a match. I stopped watching until about a month before Russo came back. Sullivan's loving terrible.

The reign you're thinking of, however, belongs to Nash. 1999 from February to September.

I remember Ric Flair and Terry Funk having a really good feud during that period and a really good match at Superbrawl. I don't remember a single feud that good booked by Russo. On top of that he booked Hogan like he should have been booked. In semi finals against old guys or in Nitro main event tags teaming with young guys like Vampiro to try and elevate them.

It was one of the few times where I thought "You know, Hogan is being booked pretty well."

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Karmine posted:

New Blood Rising is on 24/7 and if you want a really good sampling of all the things that made WCW unwatchable in 2000 that's a pretty good place to start.

God damnit, this. If you didn't catch J-Ru's "Sunday Nitro" presentation of it, you are missing out.

On the most suicide-inducing WCW PPV ever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was so disappointing considering Russo had been out for a couple of months with a concussion or something, and left the booking to more level-headed people who gave Lance Storm the greatest push of his life. Russo came back and buried him in one match in his home country.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The worst part of WCW's string of bad bookers is that they had Terry Taylor giving really good ideas underneath the head bookers and never getting a shot at the book himself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lone Rogue posted:

The worst part of WCW's string of bad bookers is that they had Terry Taylor giving really good ideas underneath the head bookers and never getting a shot at the book himself.

Wasn't he the primary backer of Goldberg's streak?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Timby posted:

Wasn't he the primary backer of Goldberg's streak?

The streak was apparently Mike Tenays idea. His one big contribuition to wrestling history.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ah I always thought it was Sullivan but I guess that was Nash's time. Unwatchable. This is coming from a guy who used to look forward to the weekends being over so Nitro would be on, haha.

Does the "Death of WCW" book mention the disbanding/merging of the nWo Wolfpack? I think most smart fans look back on the Wolfpack somewhat negatively because they felt the NWO was sort of played out, but as someone earlier mentioned in this thread, Wolfpack was over as gently caress. I always thought it was badass how they were faces but they had "attitude" and could be pretty "mean" if ya hosed with them, and always thought disbanding the face/elite Wolfpack just gave the fans one less thing to cheer for.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It mentions it, but it leaves out shitloads of details.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The NWO Wolfpack is almost entirely left out of RD's book. It's the one big thing he doesn't really mention.

(also, their music was classic: "don't turn your back on the wolfpack." Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.)

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

You might wind up in a bodybag.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Guess who's back?

The bad boys of wrestling!

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
I could never get into the Wolfpack. I know they were over, but like many things in pro wrestling, I just didn't understand it. It consisted of mostly a bunch of middle aged guys trying to be hip and cool. I just didn't really understand the appeal of Kevin Nash wearing FUBU and throwing up gang signs and Sting dressing like a lobster.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think you just summed up the WCW experience. Old guys acting edgy and cool. Sting dressed up like a lobster.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

EricCrapton posted:

I could never get into the Wolfpack. I know they were over, but like many things in pro wrestling, I just didn't understand it. It consisted of mostly a bunch of middle aged guys trying to be hip and cool. I just didn't really understand the appeal of Kevin Nash wearing FUBU and throwing up gang signs and Sting dressing like a lobster.

Well I was 13 at the time, was just getting into wrestling and didnt realize they were old. I'd have pegged Sting at 30. I think a lot of people were the same as me, as Wolfpack took place during the big wrestling boom of the late 90s. I just remember everyone in 8th grade watching wrestling, liking the Wolfpack, and doing that little "too sweet" finger poo poo to each other, haha.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Skinty McEdger posted:

The streak was apparently Mike Tenays idea. His one big contribuition to wrestling history.

Voodoo chili. :colbert:

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.

MyStereoHasMono posted:

I've always loved Bobby Hennan's commentary for this match because it's probably the only time he actually gave a poo poo in WCW.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Guzim posted:

I've always loved Bobby Hennan's commentary for this match because it's probably the only time he actually gave a poo poo in WCW.

What's amazing is that in watching Karl Malone Diamond-Cutter Curt Hennig, the cameras miss Goldberg kicking out of TWO (three?) Hogan Legdrops, a key turning point in the match. Tenay is the only one who acknowledges this, in passing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EricCrapton posted:

At that point it was more 30 year olds. People forget that Shawn was in his thirties being a Degenerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

LividLiquid posted:

It was so disappointing considering Russo had been out for a couple of months with a concussion or something, and left the booking to more level-headed people who gave Lance Storm the greatest push of his life. Russo came back and buried him in one match in his home country.

The reason there was a US title tournament for Storm to win is because of Russo coming back and stripping all the titles. Russo most likely gave Storm that push. What Russo giveth, Russo can taketh away.