Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Did you guys know you can access the superbar right click menu by dragging the icon outside of the bar itself? Like I have mine on the left, and I drag the icon right to pull out the menu. It's pretty awesome, I had no idea!

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That's actually pretty cool for touch screens. Cheers.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

spanky the dolphin posted:

Did you guys know you can access the superbar right click menu by dragging the icon outside of the bar itself? Like I have mine on the left, and I drag the icon right to pull out the menu. It's pretty awesome, I had no idea!

Yeah, it's a gesture they added specifically for tablet PCs. That's also a big part of the reason the default icon size is so large - to make it more touch friendly. A lot of Windows 7 was designed around touch interfaces and being as touch friendly as possible.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spanky the dolphin posted:

Holy poo poo that made my day! Although it makes me loathe my computer at work. XP + IE6. :sigh:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Yeah, it's a gesture they added specifically for tablet PCs. That's also a big part of the reason the default icon size is so large - to make it more touch friendly. A lot of Windows 7 was designed around touch interfaces and being as touch friendly as possible.

Well that and it looks way better with the superbar with no text.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Every DVD I try to play through Windows Media Player doesn't have video. Audio seems to be fine, but the only thing that comes up for the video are overlays in the menu. For example, the red arrow in Rushmore's menu that you use to navigate options. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. All the DVD's I've tried play fine in my Macbook.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

How come I can't save files to the root of a drive? I claimed ownership of the entire drive for my user account and my account definitely has full permissions for the root of the drive, but it sill doesn't work.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

DuckConference posted:

How come I can't save files to the root of a drive? I claimed ownership of the entire drive for my user account and my account definitely has full permissions for the root of the drive, but it sill doesn't work.

I just played around with this and got it to work no problems. I opened the drive properties, clicked the security tab, clicked "advanced", clicked "change permissions", clicked "add", and added my personal user account with full control with the "Apply to:" option set to "This folder only." to avoid loving up any other permissions if anything went wrong.

Result was this...

...followed by quite a few "access denied" alerts which I don't quite understand because it should only have been applying the permissions to the folder and nothing else (maybe some sort of inheritance issue? I'm not a Windows ACL genius and root folders are a bit different I think) which was then followed by this (highlighted line is the new entry):

Click here for the full 636x482 image.

Checked I could now save and create files, deleted the permission and everything is back to how it was - i.e. read, list, and exec permissions only.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I just played around with this and got it to work no problems. I opened the drive properties, clicked the security tab, clicked "advanced", clicked "change permissions", clicked "add", and added my personal user account with full control with the "Apply to:" option set to "This folder only." to avoid loving up any other permissions if anything went wrong.

Result was this...

...followed by quite a few "access denied" alerts which I don't quite understand because it should only have been applying the permissions to the folder and nothing else (maybe some sort of inheritance issue? I'm not a Windows ACL genius and root folders are a bit different I think) which was then followed by this (highlighted line is the new entry):

Click here for the full 636x482 image.

Checked I could now save and create files, deleted the permission and everything is back to how it was - i.e. read, list, and exec permissions only.

Weird, I did the same thing and had a "special" entry that was full control and it didn't work. I cleared everything out so that SYSTEM, Users, and my account had full control, but that didn't work either.

EDIT: I even did icacls D:\ /grant Username:(F) and it it didn't change anything.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2010

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else heard the rumors of recent Windows 7 updates leading to system instability?

For the last week or so my notebook is unstable and Firefox and Steam are crashing on a daily basis. BSOD and everything. I wondered if anyone had a link to which Knowledge Base IDs are linked to the problems so I don't have to do a restore or clean install. v:downs:v I tried googling this but the results are vague, I saw a lot of mention on it on Lifehacker and Arstechnica, among others but no details.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Has anyone else heard the rumors of recent Windows 7 updates leading to system instability?

For the last week or so my notebook is unstable and Firefox and Steam are crashing on a daily basis. BSOD and everything. I wondered if anyone had a link to which Knowledge Base IDs are linked to the problems so I don't have to do a restore or clean install. v:downs:v I tried googling this but the results are vague, I saw a lot of mention on it on Lifehacker and Arstechnica, among others but no details.

Looks like it's http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=977074 according to Arstechnica.

I have it on my RC-running desktop and Win 7 Pro running netbook but I haven't had any issues so far.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

How do I stop windows 7 from turning off my monitor? I'm on a desktop and I cant seem to find any power options in the control panel and it's extremely annoying when my monitor turns off during a movie. I'm on windows 7 pro if it matters.

edit: Nevermind found it.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 7, 2010

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Had my computer running last night when I went to bed so that Steam and a bunch of other poo poo would download over night.

Woke up this morning and was greeted by the login screen asking for my password. Put it in, took be back to the desktop and it looks like everything had been paused most of the night. Was this just bad luck with my connection (Comcast :argh:) or does Win7 auto-logout after X minutes of idle time and pause everything that was going on until you log back in?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Evil Fluffy posted:

Had my computer running last night when I went to bed so that Steam and a bunch of other poo poo would download over night.

Woke up this morning and was greeted by the login screen asking for my password. Put it in, took be back to the desktop and it looks like everything had been paused most of the night. Was this just bad luck with my connection (Comcast :argh:) or does Win7 auto-logout after X minutes of idle time and pause everything that was going on until you log back in?

Probably Windows Update, did the same to me a couple times before I got wise to its tricks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What can I do to open up an old Outlook Express .pst data file in Windows 7? The copy of Outlook Express I had was bundled with my Windows XP, and now it seems I can't open any of my old emails, which I really need to do for various reasons -- specifically, I need some file attachments I emailed to myself a long while back.

I have a version of Outlook installed (not outlook express), but it can't recognize the .pst files, giving an error message that it's "not compatible with this version of the Personal Information Folders Service," and the various suggested fixes I've found for that problem online aren't working. Similarly, I've tried setting up Windows Live, but I can't seem to get its import feature to recognize the files.

bleh: what i'm trying is downloading a trial version of Office 2007, then I'm going to try installing the trial outlook from there and using it to get the files I need.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 7, 2010

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What can I do to open up an old Outlook Express .pst data file in Windows 7? The copy of Outlook Express I had was bundled with my Windows XP, and now it seems I can't open any of my old emails, which I really need to do for various reasons -- specifically, I need some file attachments I emailed to myself a long while back.

I have a version of Outlook installed (not outlook express), but it can't recognize the .pst files, giving an error message that it's "not compatible with this version of the Personal Information Folders Service," and the various suggested fixes I've found for that problem online aren't working. Similarly, I've tried setting up Windows Live, but I can't seem to get its import feature to recognize the files.

bleh: what i'm trying is downloading a trial version of Office 2007, then I'm going to try installing the trial outlook from there and using it to get the files I need.

Have you tried opening it Windows Live Mail (or whatever it's called now)?

six in a row
Feb 2, 2007
One time I got my kicks with Joe...
Quick installation question -

If I buy the "the ultimate steal" student only version of win 7 pro (64bit), can I use the product key with someone elses backup copies to do a clean install on a new computer? My friend has a laptop that came with 7 installed and he has yet to make backup copies, but it would be much easier for me to just use the dvd windows 7 has him burn instead of doing a 3 gig download...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

boneration posted:

Probably Windows Update, did the same to me a couple times before I got wise to its tricks.

So in Win7, windows update just resets the computer on you after a certain amount of time? The windows I had open when I went to bed were still there, so I was figuring it just logged me out and didn't reboot.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Evil Fluffy posted:

So in Win7, windows update just resets the computer on you after a certain amount of time? The windows I had open when I went to bed were still there, so I was figuring it just logged me out and didn't reboot.

You have to adjust the setting so it downloads the updates but lets you choose when to install them, otherwise it installs the updates and then reboots the PC automatically if necessary.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Evil Fluffy posted:

some updates require a forced restart, yeah. only slightly less annoying than having to reboot every time. every now and then I'll wake up with a blank desktop (no programs, etc) and wonder what happened :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

drcru posted:

Have you tried opening it Windows Live Mail (or whatever it's called now)?

Yeah, it can't seem to recognize that the file is there for some reason.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Yeah, it can't seem to recognize that the file is there for some reason.

Maybe it's because pst files are Outlook, not OE or Live mail files?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a very peculiar problem in the retail version of 64-bit Win7 Professional which never affected me in the RC. Every time another user logs in on my PC (and leaves my session running in the background), the Windows Gadgets on my secondary screen move to the primary display. It's kind of aggravating. I don't NEED them per se, but things like the extra clock are useful to keep an eye on the time when I'm playing a full-screen game on the primary display. I also like keeping an eye on the weather and currency rates since I do a lot of online cross-border shopping.

...any ideas? Anyone else encounter this?

I suspect that this might not be a common glitch and that it'll never be fixed, so my best option is to just find and use some other desktop gadget suite.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

You need to pay attention to what you were running, and what versions of them.

Like it has been said, PST files are Outlook-only. Outlook Express has never supported PST. Not Outlook Express, not Windows Mail, not Windows Live Mail. Outlook.

You said you have "a version" of Outlook. Which version? 98? 2000? XP? 2003? 2007?

If the PST was made with a newer version of Outlook, like 2003 or 2007, trying to install a copy of Outlook 2000 you found somewhere won't open it.

Once you do get a modern version of Outlook installed, you can add the PST file as a store to it, then export to something like Windows Live Mail. From there you can export the EML files (EML is what Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail use).

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

teethgrinder posted:

I have a very peculiar problem in the retail version of 64-bit Win7 Professional which never affected me in the RC. Every time another user logs in on my PC (and leaves my session running in the background), the Windows Gadgets on my secondary screen move to the primary display.

Indeed, I have this same issue any time I RDP into my Windows 7 box.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Oh man, I replaced a power supply and went over my BIOS settings with a fine-toothed comb looking for the cause of these BSODs. Well, at least I don't have to listen to that horrid induction coil whine in my old PSU any more.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Can't help you without some error codes / descriptions. Turn off "automatically restart on system failure" and give us the error information.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

malefactor posted:

Can't help you without some error codes / descriptions. Turn off "automatically restart on system failure" and give us the error information.

I eventually uninstalled KB977074. First I tried uninstalling it from installed windows updates, which crashed repeatedly. Then I used an old restore point, which crashed as well. Undid the half done restore, rebooted, tried the old restore point again, it worked. Then found KB977074 still installed, attempted uninstall, successful this time. Reboot, KB977074 reinstalls w/o asking for permission, uninstalled again, reboot, no reinstall. Firefox is crashing still, full uninstall of Firefox and registry cleaned (with RevoUninstaller). Ran Microsoft Memory Diagnostics, it claimed there was a problem with the hardware. Contacted Gateway, given the runaround in chat, no phone number available. Gateway advises a lot of things I've already done, one was removing external hardware, unplugged my old optical mouse. Haven't seen a BSOD yet, I'm going to try Half-Life 2 again later and see how long it'll run before a reboot.

Sorry for the :spergin: writing style.

I really don't know what to say other than the memory diagnostics is telling me I have bad hardware on my brand new notebook. I seriously don't want to fork over the cash for 4 (or more) gigs of DDR3 to swap it out but I don't want to mail it to Gateway either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so, this is a bitching post

Rewind to Vista hitting RTM. It was pretty solid, I remember not rebooting for like 2 months, not having any problems. Then slowly the hotpatches came out, software was released, etc. Towards teh end of that year I HATED Vista. My load was sluggish, had odd problems happening and was generally turning into a pain in the rear end.
My problem is that Win 7 is turning into Vista. I used the RC for months and it was rock solid. I was able to use Vista drivers as I needed and really I had no problems. The the RTM hit. Immediately things started going wrong, i assume because again win updates, drivers, and software being released. Right now I have a bunch of issues. My cursor corrupts from time to time and then goes back to normal, I guess I can blame ATI/AMD. My Asus Xonar sound card works but only if I never update the bios on my motherboard. I tried doing that to fix the cursor poo poo and it ended up totally breaking my Asus Xonar which could not play any sound correctly afterwards. So I reverted the bios (blame gigabyte). Next my apps are becoming sluggish to load. I have no clue why, I have all the Win 7 speedup features turned on and stuff is way way slower than it was when I first loaded RTM or even the RC after months. I have had a few blue screens due to ATI and also the Intel ACHI drivers (WTF!). I checked the Win 7 performance tools and I constantly get this VIDEO DRIVER DEGRADED SYSTEM PERFORMANCE. Great I own a expensive ATI 3870 w/GDDR3 and that isn't enough to display AERO without degrading my fuckign system performance!

What I am getting at is this poo poo loving sucks. I am tired of the entire Windows ecosystem loving up constantly. And no I loving hate macs.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 8, 2010

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Is there a way to move the taskbar to the side of the screen without jamming the start orb and launch/icons to the top?
Also how do you stop the start menu hiding the vertical taskbar?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I really don't know what to say other than the memory diagnostics is telling me I have bad hardware on my brand new notebook. I seriously don't want to fork over the cash for 4 (or more) gigs of DDR3 to swap it out but I don't want to mail it to Gateway either.

What? If it's under warranty send that fucker in. Why wouldn't you?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

redeyes posted:

so, this is a bitching post

Rewind to Vista hitting RTM. It was pretty solid, I remember not rebooting for like 2 months, not having any problems. Then slowly the hotpatches came out, software was released, etc. Towards teh end of that year I HATED Vista. My load was sluggish, had odd problems happening and was generally turning into a pain in the rear end.
My problem is that Win 7 is turning into Vista. I used the RC for months and it was rock solid. I was able to use Vista drivers as I needed and really I had no problems. The the RTM hit. Immediately things started going wrong, i assume because again win updates, drivers, and software being released. Right now I have a bunch of issues. My cursor corrupts from time to time and then goes back to normal, I guess I can blame ATI/AMD. My Asus Xonar sound card works but only if I never update the bios on my motherboard. I tried doing that to fix the cursor poo poo and it ended up totally breaking my Asus Xonar which could not play any sound correctly afterwards. So I reverted the bios (blame gigabyte). Next my apps are becoming sluggish to load. I have no clue why, I have all the Win 7 speedup features turned on and stuff is way way slower than it was when I first loaded RTM or even the RC after months. I have had a few blue screens due to ATI and also the Intel ACHI drivers (WTF!). I checked the Win 7 performance tools and I constantly get this VIDEO DRIVER DEGRADED SYSTEM PERFORMANCE. Great I own a expensive ATI 3870 w/GDDR3 and that isn't enough to display AERO without degrading my fuckign system performance!

What I am getting at is this poo poo loving sucks. I am tired of the entire Windows ecosystem loving up constantly. And no I loving hate macs.

Sounds like you hate software.

On that point, I agree. Especially about these goddamn companies with their loving drivers. It's like they test them on one PC someone has in the office and when the PC boots they're all like "hey, it works! Release it to the world!"

BTW, you're not really supposed to be updating your mobo BIOS unless it's to fix a specific issue.

Also, my Win7 install is as quick as the day I installed it. Maybe because I stick to known-working drivers and BIOS releases and don't update just because something new is out?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

BTW, you're not really supposed to be updating your mobo BIOS unless it's to fix a specific issue.

Just like drivers, wouldn't it be best to have an up to date BIOS as well?

Motherboard manufactures don't release BIOS updates for fun, every update is to fix something. You may not be suffering from it now, but you could down the line. Plus there could be fixes that benefit you that aren't listed in any changelog.

I'd update my BIOS weekly if my motherboard manufacturer released updates that often.

Gigabyte has released several important BIOS updates that didn't mention ANYTHING about the biggest fixes in them.

I got the GA-EP35-DS3L right when it came out. It had an issue where it didn't apply/save settings correctly, preventing some people from overclocking. I'd check half a dozen forums every few days to see if there was a fix.
Eventually someone posted that they got a hold of someone actually from Gigabyte, and they were given a beta BIOS not available on their website yet. The beta BIOS actually fixed the issues, and after a few weeks/months the final version showed up on the Gigabyte site - with no mention of fixing those things (and they were probably the #1 reason to get the update).

I guess I've been really lucky that in 14 years of updating, flashing, re-flashing, and even modifying the files before flashing my BIOS (to add things like a custom boot graphic), I haven't had a single issue with an update yet.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You never said if you were on the RC, RTM or retail. If you are on anything other than retail you have 0 right to bitch and you've probably upgraded from a previous beta of some sort.

BTW my netbook running the RC with the latest updates is still perfectly stable so it might just be you too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xenomorph posted:

Just like drivers, wouldn't it be best to have an up to date BIOS as well?

Motherboard manufactures don't release BIOS updates for fun, every update is to fix something. You may not be suffering from it now, but you could down the line. Plus there could be fixes that benefit you that aren't listed in any changelog.

I'd update my BIOS weekly if my motherboard manufacturer released updates that often.

Gigabyte has released several important BIOS updates that didn't mention ANYTHING about the biggest fixes in them.

I got the GA-EP35-DS3L right when it came out. It had an issue where it didn't apply/save settings correctly, preventing some people from overclocking. I'd check half a dozen forums every few days to see if there was a fix.
Eventually someone posted that they got a hold of someone actually from Gigabyte, and they were given a beta BIOS not available on their website yet. The beta BIOS actually fixed the issues, and after a few weeks/months the final version showed up on the Gigabyte site - with no mention of fixing those things (and they were probably the #1 reason to get the update).

I guess I've been really lucky that in 14 years of updating, flashing, re-flashing, and even modifying the files before flashing my BIOS (to add things like a custom boot graphic), I haven't had a single issue with an update yet.

So when you have a problem, that would be a good time to try updating your BIOS. Even if it's not mentioned in the release notes a BIOS upgrade should be part of your troubleshooting procedure.

Every mobo manufacturer that I've seen recommends NOT updating your BIOS unless there is a specific issue that you need fixed.

For example Asus says:

quote:

Updating the BIOS only if you have problems and you are sure that the new BIOS revision will solve your problems.

Gigabyte says:

quote:

if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Thermopyle posted:

Every mobo manufacturer that I've seen recommends NOT updating your BIOS unless there is a specific issue that you need fixed.

For example Asus says:

Gigabyte says:

Nobody listens to that, it just silly. It's like the warning against wearing sneakers on an escalator. The manufacturer just doesn't want to have to deal with people bricking their boards.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, it's more of a "cover your rear end" thing because of the chance you kill the system because of a power outage or a little brother tripping over the cords and unplugging the system mid-flash.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I updated my BIOS because of the corrupted cursor thing. I read that possibly doing that would fix the issue. It didn't but that was why I tried it. Honestly the corrupted cursor isn't so bad as to cause me to want to send anything back. The 2 things that ARE pissing me off are the sluggish performance and the video card degrading performance things. Both seem to be unfixable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

XK posted:

Nobody listens to that, it just silly. It's like the warning against wearing sneakers on an escalator. The manufacturer just doesn't want to have to deal with people bricking their boards.

I'll start this off by saying that I don't really have a strong feeling about it one way or another...

However, what does upgrading your BIOS to every latest version get you instead of upgrading it when there is something you need?

Xenomorph points out that sometimes BIOS upgrades have stuff that isn't documented in the release notes. That's a reason to NOT upgrade to every version! Who knows what it's going to break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just got Windows 7 pro on a brand new machine. I've got AVG anti-virus, firefox, Itunes and Foxit installed so far.

What should a brand new Windows 7 user do/install? There's no advice in the OP.

Also - I've got a dual screen set up - can you set a different background to each screen?