Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

fist4jesus posted:

I'd so try and figure a way to salvage one in secret.

I had the other thought. Cruise around in a boat with a big rear end gun on the front and sink them as a courtesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ola posted:

At first it might seem weird that the diesel guy types the titles and descriptions in all caps, but not when you realize he speaks in all caps as well.

This sums up this guy exactly, and now I'm going to be stuck watching his videos all afternoon because of his hilariously entertaining enunciation.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slow is Fast posted:

This sums up this guy exactly, and now I'm going to be stuck watching his videos all afternoon because of his hilariously entertaining enunciation.
it was friday afternoon, beer was calling "hey i'm in the fridge come drink me"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAqPCTRS2cE

Suprise visit by Mrs Garrison in the last 3 seconds.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

IT WAS FRIDAY AFTERNOON, BEER WAS CALLING " HEY I'M IN THE FRIDGE COME DRINK ME"

Fixed that for ya

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

it was friday afternoon, beer was calling "hey i'm in the fridge come drink me"
Other than airgunning wheelnuts on, I'm enjoying the videos he's got up on there.

drat, we need some more pictures in this thread:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Cakefool posted:

Even a 20" half full of water would weigh like 18 tonnes? you'd need a pretty big boat to contemplate it, unless you just wanted to tow it back to port & borrow a crane there. Then you open it & find 25 Chinese bodies, not the 1908 Jag you were hoping for.

It'd be kinda fun if money were no object, just playing gigantic ocean lucky-dip. Get boring soon?

Tow it to shallow water, or tidal sandbar perhaps.

Might get lucky and have a container full of something packed in that loving clamshell plastic for example, scubalooting!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Other than airgunning wheelnuts on, I'm enjoying the videos he's got up on there.

If I'd been there to see that I'd probably still be laughing.

I can just see the driver pitching forward out of the back end of that as the motor parts ways with its wheels.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

fist4jesus posted:

Tow it to shallow water, or tidal sandbar perhaps.

Might get lucky and have a container full of something packed in that loving clamshell plastic for example, scubalooting!

It would be like an upside down pinata!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

InitialDave posted:

Holy poo poo that poor tractor :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

Even a 20" half full of water would weigh like 18 tonnes? you'd need a pretty big boat to contemplate it, unless you just wanted to tow it back to port & borrow a crane there. Then you open it & find 25 Chinese bodies, not the 1908 Jag you were hoping for.

It'd be kinda fun if money were no object, just playing gigantic ocean lucky-dip. Get boring soon?

It seems like there's some obvious solution that involves an air pump and the industrial equivalent of an inflatable raft but I can't put my finger on it.

orange lime posted:

Why is he trying to push it back out? loving DHS. :argh:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Splizwarf posted:

It seems like there's some obvious solution that involves an air pump and the industrial equivalent of an inflatable raft but I can't put my finger on it.

I think the solution is "tow to shallow water, slide ramp underneath, slowly winch out at an angle with water pouring out". Maybe add a "punch hole in lower end" to speed it up. If you're only ever lifting a few inches of water at a time, I'm sure you could do it with a Jeep or something.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

orange lime posted:

I think the solution is "tow to shallow water, slide ramp underneath, slowly winch out at an angle with water pouring out". Maybe add a "punch hole in lower end" to speed it up. If you're only ever lifting a few inches of water at a time, I'm sure you could do it with a Jeep or something.

Alternatively you could tow it to shallow water, drill one hole in a corner near the bottom, and one on the top. Attach air compressor, pump water out, tow to land with a jeep.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Blocko posted:

Alternatively you could tow it to shallow water, drill one hole in a corner near the bottom, and one on the top. Attach air compressor, pump water out, tow to land with a jeep.

I thought about this, but I dunno if crates are airtight enough. I'd bet that all the air would rather just leak out cracks near the doors or something.

You might be able to use something like this:

(sorry about the Chinese watermark)

Zodiac pontoons. Take two of those bad boys (deflated), sink one under the container on each end, lash them to it, and blow them up. Presumably the water would drain out however it got in.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

orange lime posted:

I thought about this, but I dunno if crates are airtight enough. I'd bet that all the air would rather just leak out cracks near the doors or something.

You might be able to use something like this:

(sorry about the Chinese watermark)

Zodiac pontoons. Take two of those bad boys (deflated), sink one under the container on each end, lash them to it, and blow them up. Presumably the water would drain out however it got in.

This is what I was thinking of! And use a big version of the blow-up wedge that the pros use to crank open your door when you locked your keys in the car to force the doors to bend open and let the water out faster without just opening the whole side of the crate. Drilling is a lot of :effort:

Also, gently caress waiting to see what's in there until it's drained. Boroscope and a good light in through the wedged part before we even start putting real work into it.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

blugu64 posted:

'Let me tell you something about that'

This guy is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbddKFgMVew

Awesome up until he tries to convince me that this lift kit is great. That lift would get torn up if it ever left the mall parking lot. Lots of very important bit hanging down way too low. I'm more of a coil guy but given the choice I'd take the old leaf spring set up over that fancy '$20,000' abomination.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

The correct answer is ping pong balls. Lots of ping pong balls.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

Awesome up until he tries to convince me that this lift kit is great. That lift would get torn up if it ever left the mall parking lot. Lots of very important bit hanging down way too low. I'm more of a coil guy but given the choice I'd take the old leaf spring set up over that fancy '$20,000' abomination.

This man needs to be satirized. He comes off like a complete twit who is willing to talk smart about his customers because they don't know better. Last time I checked people went to mechanics because they didn't want to have to do or know about the things this guy is bloviating over. It leaves me wondering how much game he really talks up front to get people in the door and to open their checkbooks.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Kill-9 posted:

I was kinda feeling the same way but also felt maybe I didn't know enough to really talk about it. I like my leaf springs though. Truck doesn't ride smooth but that's just part of the charm. There isn't much dangly bits to get hung up on and/or tear up. I've been stuck on my front diff before though. Not much to do about that except bigger tires or spend a fuckton of money on portal boxes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

trouser chili posted:

The correct answer is ping pong balls. Lots of ping pong balls.

Coolest episode EVER.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think that the airbagged truck has the best suspension system I've ever seen (I'm not too keen on the design of some of those brackets, and the whole thing looks a little on the weedy side), but on the other hand the Powerstrokehelp video on fitting a suspension lift pretty much just involves big lift blocks. Now, he does have the nous to fit much beefier U-bolts, and cautions people about getting the diff nose angle tweaked to compensate for the angle the prop will be at, but I just really hate these things:

Horses for courses. That air suspension truck definitely looks more for show than for off-road use, but a hell of a lot of people who lift leaf-sprung trucks do it "incorrectly" as well.

I've churned through a fair chunk of that guy's videos now, and I'm only seeing the odd thing here and there which I actively disagree with. Besides, he's in Georgia, so I'd feel short changed if there wasn't a good bit of :clint: going on.

Anyway, carnage for the carnage thread:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

InitialDave posted:

Where we're going...we won't need roads!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

InitialDave posted:

I don't think that the airbagged truck has the best suspension system I've ever seen (I'm not too keen on the design of some of those brackets, and the whole thing looks a little on the weedy side), but on the other hand the Powerstrokehelp video on fitting a suspension lift pretty much just involves big lift blocks. Now, he does have the nous to fit much beefier U-bolts, and cautions people about getting the diff nose angle tweaked to compensate for the angle the prop will be at, but I just really hate these things:

Horses for courses. That air suspension truck definitely looks more for show than for off-road use, but a hell of a lot of people who lift leaf-sprung trucks do it "incorrectly" as well.

I like how on the air bag one, when he activated it, it didn't gain any ground clearance. There was so much bar work and poo poo sticking out from all kinds of angles that I'm pretty sure all that equipment LOWERED the ground clearance!

Damnit, people, ride height != ground clearance.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Damnit, people, ride height != ground clearance.

Mallcruiser thread ahoy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sockington posted:

Even the diff fluid is screaming to get out of that thing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sockington posted:

Mallcruiser thread ahoy.

I don't understand how that poo poo is legal. In Missouri (home of Bigfoot y'all!) bumper height cannot exceed 22 inches or some poo poo. The bumpers on that fucker are at my head. The upper one.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sockington posted:

Mallcruiser thread ahoy.

Is it just me, or did he park that monstrosity diagonally across 6 or 8 spaces? What, he worried about a car door dinging his tires or something?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Yearly failure of the overhead drench system, yay for water on hundreds of thousands of tools, and aircraft parts
gently caress how do I resize an uploaded image I suck at this.. and picked the wrong one.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Sockington posted:

Mallcruiser thread ahoy.

I see dozens of these goddamn things all over Phoenix and they piss the hell out of me. Maybe 30% of them have more actual ground clearance than an unloaded Ranger, and I've never seen one that got its clearance by a method other than SUPER SWAMPERS or whatever. You need a ladder to climb into the cab, but you could hit a basketball with the differentials. What the gently caress.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

I see dozens of these goddamn things all over Phoenix and they piss the hell out of me. Maybe 30% of them have more actual ground clearance than an unloaded Ranger, and I've never seen one that got its clearance by a method other than SUPER SWAMPERS or whatever. You need a ladder to climb into the cab, but you could hit a basketball with the differentials. What the gently caress.

Well, the only way to get the diffs up is more tire and/or portal boxes/portal axles.

The bigger problem is retarded drop crossmembers and ridiculous lifting blocks and scary steering, z-bars and other dumb poo poo whipped up in some retard's garage who think's he's a fabricator because he's got 220v in the shop and a Lincoln welder.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 10, 2010

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I invariably get passed by those guys on the freeway, doing 80+, as well. They scare the poo poo out of me because my car is designed to absorb shock damage to the bumpers or doors, not to the loving roof. They're more dangerous to hit than a drat tractor-trailer truck. And those guys are speeding around as if they're in a loving sports car, like they have no clue (I guess they don't) that a super-lifted truck on gigantic chunky tires is not exactly a great performer on the freeway.

Anyway I bet the shipping container salvage idea wouldn't work because 90% of them are full of cheap sneakers and pairs of cargo pants from Malaysia. I heard a used 40-foot can be had for about $8000, so over its life (10+ years? 20? of constant use) the cargo doesn't have to be all that profitable valuable to pay for the thing.

For every container full of still-sealed valuable stuff, there'd be a thousand that were full of saltwater-ruined electronics, spoiled food, or styrofoam cups.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

I don't understand how that poo poo is legal. In Missouri (home of Bigfoot y'all!) bumper height cannot exceed 22 inches or some poo poo. The bumpers on that fucker are at my head. The upper one.

...and you just know that an inspections station is far more likely to bust your balls for having a lowered vehicle. :rolleyes:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Both extremes of truck modification are equally stupid:

And yet with Subarus, it doesn't offend me:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

deviant. posted:

...and you just know that an inspections station is far more likely to bust your balls for having a lowered vehicle. :rolleyes:

Or you got something like Arizona where if it's got 4 wheels and a seat its street legal.

I just got back from the Parker 425 race and... :psyduck:

There were loving Rhinos driving around with license plates, oh and things like sand rails being street legal as well :haw:

On the other hand, I heard one province in Canada got sick of jacked up rigs and lowered cars which has the MOT thinking of just automatically rejecting anything not with OEM suspension as not street legal. I think it's New Burnswick.

The truck modifications that piss me off is ones that are jacked up so high on lift that they have to lose 4 wheel drive because the front shaft is too steep of an angle to link to the front diff :doh:

I drove a borrowed lifted H1 on the way back from Arizona last weekend. It had 2" body and 2" coil spring spacer with 42" tires. It looked neat, but.. the steering is mushy, anything with big rear end tires and suspension lifts are going to go through steering parts like crazy. The guy who owned the monster H1 goes through a set of idler and pitman arms every year.

I'll go through my Parker pictures and see if I can find any carnage, I was sitting in the pits and had a buggy and a few trucks scoot by with missing roofs, and no fiber glass left on the body. Hell our race truck cracked an a-arm.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

BigKOfJustice posted:

On the other hand, I heard one province in Canada got sick of jacked up rigs and lowered cars which has the MOT thinking of just automatically rejecting anything not with OEM suspension as not street legal. I think it's New Burnswick.
Nova Scotia.

Let's ban lifts and lowering, still charge for an MVI, and on top of that, make the inspection criteria so vague that you can actually pass your inspection, get a fresh sticker, and pull out of the parking lot and be ticketed for an infraction like say, a blown tail light.

:argh: Conservatives!

Those guys are out though, New Democrats haven't really said anything about it since taking office.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

BigKOfJustice posted:

Or you got something like Arizona where if it's got 4 wheels and a seat its street legal.

Of course, if you live in Phoenix like 2/3 of the population does, you have to obey CARB emissions requirements. 4 wheels, a seat, and three catalytic converters and a vapor reclamation system :downs:

VVV They started out down here.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 10, 2010

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BigKOfJustice posted:

I don't think I have seen a Uhaul that didn't have Arizona plates.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Leperflesh posted:

I heard a used 40-foot can be had for about $8000
Actually, they are cheaper than that new (I saw prices around $3200 new). You can get a used 20-foot on eBay for about $800, and 40s for $1200 (I bet you can get them even cheaper than this). They things are cheap as hell.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Fire Storm posted:

Actually, they are cheaper than that new (I saw prices around $3200 new). You can get a used 20-foot on eBay for about $800, and 40s for $1200 (I bet you can get them even cheaper than this). They things are cheap as hell.

Holy crap. They're cheaper than a storage shed. Now to convince my wife ... :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
They're pretty cheap, and if you shop some you can usually find one that hasn't been terribly abused. It might even be somewhat square still. Delivery can be something of a nuisance though, so a shipping quote should be factored into the price.

They do tend to collapse if buried, and they rust like nobody's business if they are allowed to stay damp. I thought I saw someone in AI that had built one into a pretty decent looking shop, but I can't remember who or when.